Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

If I could change one thing about the cooking system, I would make separate buff slots for food and elixirs. Elixirs feel completely superfluous as is. Food ingredients are usually more plentiful compared to elixir ingredients with equivalent effects, don't have the hassle of trying to sneak up on bugs and lizards, and also restore hearts. There's basically no reason to bother with elixirs except for fireproof, which I don't think you can get from food at all. Being able to use elixirs to get a second active buff would give them a purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

ElBrak posted:

Let Link kiss and date all those people who want to kiss and date him. It is only fair.

Yes. :colbert:

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Cattail Prophet posted:

If I could change one thing about the cooking system, I would make separate buff slots for food and elixirs. Elixirs feel completely superfluous as is. Food ingredients are usually more plentiful compared to elixir ingredients with equivalent effects, don't have the hassle of trying to sneak up on bugs and lizards, and also restore hearts. There's basically no reason to bother with elixirs except for fireproof, which I don't think you can get from food at all. Being able to use elixirs to get a second active buff would give them a purpose.

Until last weekend, I didn't know you could put food ingredients in elixirs. And any type of guts is +3:10 duration, so if the bug/frog/lizard's effect is worth substitution for a food ingredients, the a recipie using the critter, bokoblin guts, and food ingredients generally does a better duration than anything but dragon parts.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

The Bloop posted:

That's fine until you are cooking every tree in the sword trials individually
the cooking animation is the punishment for forcing link to eat 100 years worth of fiber in each meal

Cattail Prophet posted:

I forget where I found it, but there's a big ol' spreadsheet of all the different effects and whatnot, and the elixirs can be incredibly good compared to food. My main gripe with the elixirs is that the duration (caused by monster parts) isn't tied with the monster itself. The "rare" ingredient drop from a Hinox is worth the same as a "rare" ingredient drop from a Bokoblin.

My other gripe is that the game never tells you you can add food items to elixirs to make them even better, and that the "critters" are generally annoying to get compared to things like meat or fish

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Can't you make elixirs that are use-on-death by cooking them with faeries?

e: I must have misremembered this, faerie tonics are apparently not automatically used which makes me wonder what they are good for

NofrikinfuN fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 27, 2019

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

NofrikinfuN posted:

Can't you make elixirs that are use-on-death by cooking them with faeries?

e: I must have misremembered this, faerie tonics are apparently not automatically used which makes me wonder what they are good for

They give more health than a fairy would, in exchange for not being automatic.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Gruckles posted:

They give more health than a fairy would, in exchange for not being automatic.

This is a hilariously bad deal since hearty things exist

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

ElBrak posted:

Let Link kiss and date all those people who want to kiss and date him. It is only fair.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

problematic happening because of this: Link dates Sidon but gets ich :(

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

NofrikinfuN posted:

This is a hilariously bad deal since hearty things exist

It goes from healing five hearts to healing seven, which is better than any other non-hearty ingredient, admittedly (I believe the best of those, Gourmet Meat/Whole Birds, maxes out at six hearts). I was suprised that it didn't double the base health restore like the other ingredients. Didn't consider it worth it to cook the fairies when I did the Sword Trials, though.

I think the cooking spreadsheet Blaziken386 mentiioned may be this one, mentioned in this Reddit post

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

maltesh posted:

It goes from healing five hearts to healing seven, which is better than any other non-hearty ingredient, admittedly (I believe the best of those, Gourmet Meat/Whole Birds, maxes out at six hearts). I was suprised that it didn't double the base health restore like the other ingredients. Didn't consider it worth it to cook the fairies when I did the Sword Trials, though.

I think the cooking spreadsheet Blaziken386 mentiioned may be this one, mentioned in this Reddit post
eeeey, that's the one! I couldn't find it again, thanks for that.

Still though, in a world where hearty durians exist, or, if you're sticking with regular food, the caribou in Hebra drop several giant chunks of meat for two arrows, it's insane to cook a get-out-of-death-free card, especially since they're such a pain to catch

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

NofrikinfuN posted:

If you don't listen to the cooking jingle every time, you're a monster

I cannot believe Nintendo didn't team up with Zojirushi to make a rice cooker that plays that song whenever the rice is done. Leaving money on the table there.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Jet Jaguar posted:

I cannot believe Nintendo didn't team up with Zojirushi to make a rice cooker that plays that song whenever the rice is done. Leaving money on the table there.

Please don't give them ideas that will make me spend hundreds of dollars when I already have a perfectly good neuro fuzzy unit.

I wonder if there are communities of people who hack appliances specifically for nerd poo poo like this.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

YoshiOfYellow posted:

This could be incredibly rad to like discover flooded ruins under Lake Hylia or so spelunking into some sea caves on the coasts or poo poo but I just hope they don't do underwater combat if it happens. Underwater combat has never been good in any game ever.

Electrocuting things in passing as a Zora is fun. ZZZZT! gently caress you stalfish! ZZZZT! gently caress you like like!

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Has this cartoon been posted yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1or3YILu28M&t=4s

Based on this speedrun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvVG0_0jzjk

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Cattail Prophet posted:

This was kind of already said, but what the game doesn't tell you is that you can put way more ingredients than just bugs into elixirs, and this lets you make stuff like 10 minute level 3 effects easily, while just shoving a bunch of bananas into a pot is limited to 4 minutes. This is why the rhino beetles are so rare; you only need one of them per elixir and then some fish or crabs to fill out the effect.

I have no idea why there's absolutely no indication of this anywhere in the game. It lets you get much more creative with your cooking. I'm fine with having to puzzle out yourself what sorts of things you can put into elixirs but they should at least indicate that it's possible to use other ingredients!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

lmao, I lost it at the part where the king sees Link use stasis from a distance

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

lmao, I lost it at the part where the king sees Link use stasis from a distance

This was my favorite part. I ended up watching the rest of the TerminalMontage videos as well, the Star Fox and Castlevania videos are pretty good too.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I never figured out how to make not-useless elixirs so I just crammed apples and hearty radishes into my face over and over, raw or cooked, until Ganon was dead and I was not

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Honestly a perfectly good Master Mode Lite would just be the completely unmodified base game, except with a real-time animation for eating food that forces you to deke attacks while Link frantically jams a fistful of roasted radishes into his mouth

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Preferably with its own jingle.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Make it so that every time link eats a durian stew he has to spend ten whole seconds standing still and retching before actually eating it.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

ElBrak posted:

Breath of the Wild 2: The Dating of Hyrule

[Prince Sidon blushes, looking at you expectantly. What will you say?]
A. HYUP!
B. HAAAAAAAAAAH!
C. A-HA!
D. *stare silently*

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Let me pet the dogs, Nintendo. You loving monsters.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Master Mode is actually kind of fun! Granted, I'm using Majora's Mask to walk right up to enemy camps and platforms to grab their treasure, but I think not using it would make the experience incredibly frustrating for me in particular.

I'm baffled as to why Guardians in non-Test shrines have all been buffed while the Test of Strength ones haven't (except for the regen, I guess). I had more trouble clearing out the Guardians in Kaam Ya'tak then I did with a Major Test of Strength.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I just made lots of food I like and eat in real life. Whole lotta gyudon and curry rice, and salted cured meats if I'm gonna be exploring for a while.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Backhand posted:

Breath of the Wild 2: The Dating of Hyrule

[Prince Sidon blushes, looking at you expectantly. What will you say?]
A. HYUP!
B. HAAAAAAAAAAH!
C. A-HA!
D. *stare silently*

E. *gasp* WHAA?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

I've seen the first video a couple times, but didn't know it was based on the bottom one.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Wouldn’t it be quicker to use the main shrine entrance and just skip the animations than to try to frustratingly glitch through the side

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Calaveron posted:

Wouldn’t it be quicker to use the main shrine entrance and just skip the animations than to try to frustratingly glitch through the side

By glitching through the side you can completely skip the tower and its associated cutscenes

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The BoTW 2 costumes are already available for the mod community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkWPuprUzic

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Eating is too strong in BotW, having the game be challenging shouldn't require that the player dumb themselves down. The whole point of games is to overcome challenges, if the game is trivial for non-stupid players unless they've intentionally gimped themselves then that's a failure of game design. The smart way to play should still be a fun and challenging way to play.

Like if every platforming jump in Mario was optional because there was always a bridge right there you could just walk across, and not like an assist mode but just in the normal game, nobody would defend that. Or if half the classes in a CRPG were stupid overpowered and trivialized the game, suggesting that this is fine because people who wanted a challenge could simply choose weaker classes would be silly.

At a minimum, eating food in BotW should take non-zero in-game time and should cancel previous actions, and having something to limit Link blazing his way through a hundred wheels of cheese barrels of apples would probably also make sense. Maybe you could also have a differentiation between potions and food where potions could be used while still running/climbing and food had to be eaten while standing or at least only walking.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 29, 2019

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The BoTW 2 costumes are already available for the mod community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkWPuprUzic

how in the hell

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Cicero posted:

Eating is too strong in BotW, having the game be challenging shouldn't require that the player dumb themselves down. The whole point of games is to overcome challenges, if the game is trivial for non-stupid players unless they've intentionally gimped themselves then that's a failure of game design.
Yikes.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Cicero posted:

Eating is too strong in BotW, having the game be challenging shouldn't require that the player dumb themselves down. The whole point of games is to overcome challenges, if the game is trivial for non-stupid players unless they've intentionally gimped themselves then that's a failure of game design. The smart way to play should still be a fun and challenging way to play.

Like if every platforming jump in Mario was optional because there was always a bridge right there you could just walk across, and not like an assist mode but just in the normal game, nobody would defend that. Or if half the classes in a CRPG were stupid overpowered and trivialized the game, suggesting that this is fine because people who wanted a challenge could simply choose weaker classes would be silly.

At a minimum, eating food in BotW should take non-zero in-game time and should cancel previous actions, and having something to limit Link blazing his way through a hundred wheels of cheese barrels of apples would probably also make sense. Maybe you could also have a differentiation between potions and food where potions could be used while still running/climbing and food had to be eaten while standing or at least only walking.

Nah. If you can't or won't stop yourself from doing something that makes the game less fun for you, that's on you. Nintendo is very much in the business of making games that as many people as possible can play, including young children and people who for a wide variety of reasons (including physical disabilities) can't play at the skill level of, for example, your average goon.

Cramming a million apples down Link's throat while the game is paused is in fact good.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Walrus Pete posted:

Nah. If you can't or won't stop yourself from doing something that makes the game less fun for you, that's on you. Nintendo is very much in the business of making games that as many people as possible can play, including young children and people who for a wide variety of reasons (including physical disabilities) can't play at the skill level of, for example, your average goon.

Cramming a million apples down Link's throat while the game is paused is in fact good.

I, too, enjoy intentionally gimping myself when I know there are better ways to do something instead of having an actual baked in challenge. The damage/armor calculations lead to some really stupid situations where a Bokoblin can do more damage than Ganon and none of it matters since you can cook a 2 ingredient food and get a full heal.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Playing the game in the way that you think it should be played isn't "gimping yourself" and if the presence of an easier path that you don't have to use ruins things for you, I'm sorry but that's a you problem.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

*Clanging pot lids together while marching around* MAKE DEMON CORE KUN A ZELDA BOSS!! MAKE DEMON CORE KUN A ZELDA BOSS!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eyl3WQCttQ8

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Nice username/post combo, since Cicero lived two thousand years ago it makes sense that he wouldn't know anything about game design either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Walrus Pete posted:

Playing the game in the way that you think it should be played isn't "gimping yourself" and if the presence of an easier path that you don't have to use ruins things for you, I'm sorry but that's a you problem.

A single overpowered gameplay mechanic can easily make a whole game worse! Imagine you're playing a game like Diablo where the fundamental gameplay loop is about using the weapons you've found to defeat harder enemies for a chance of randomly receiving better weapons, which you then use to beat even stronger enemies, and so on. But in this scenario, you unlock a special power early in the game that allows you to defeat any enemy instantly, and you can reuse this power every few seconds.

The gameplay loop is fundamentally broken. Better loot no longer has any real value and doesn’t open up new opportunities. You can grind your way through the gear upgrade process, but you have to do it knowing that nothing you’ve done matters and you could’ve moved on to the next thing without any work. The loot system is supposed to be the core mechanic that rewards players for continuing through the game as designed, but because of this mechanic, it instead becomes pointless busy work, a progression system with no meaning.

I do not think the food system in BOTW is nearly this big an issue, but I do think that it reduces the value of armor upgrades a bit too much, and it makes the sense of fear and vulnerability that you have when you start out on the plateau with no gear disappear more quickly than it should. Making bonus hearts and bonus stamina just clearly way better than heart-restoring and stamina-restoring effects is a mistake: it invalidates entire classes of ingredients that might otherwise be interesting to discover and collect.