Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oh boy I can’t wait for the boomers on advrider to weigh in on what makes a woman attractive. My guess is an inability to vote?

Oh they already do that in most threads unprovoked. I don’t even click on threads mentioning anything about women in the title because you just know it’s going to be equal parts creepiness and misogyny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I had totally forgotten how horrifying any subject related to women is on advrider. Just a bunch of washed up thirsty boomers pontificating about what THEY would do if they met that woman next to the scooter.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The thread is motorcycles with "souls."

OP posted:

What is it that makes certain motorcycles have "soul"?

Is it the way their engine feels?
Is it the way they sound?
Is it if they have quirks?
It is if they are well thought out and designed?

I suspect the definition of motorcycle "soul" is subjective. It might even be related to a positive owner experience. I would still like to know which motorcycles from your background have "soul" and why you think so.

quote:

I was thinking along these lines the other day. When I bought my KLR, it had 2,238 easy miles on it. The previous owner had done some commuting on it, took it in for the 500 mile checkup, hadn't even come up on the next oil change after break-in. Not a scratch on it, never been off pavement, no farkles. I on the other hand have re-learned dirt riding on it. It has been my do-it-all bike and I have personallized and modified and wrung the crap out of this bike. I have dropped it, wheelied it, jumped it, slid it, I have flipped it over backwards. Pushed it through sand, buried it in mud, flown over gravel, crawled over rocks, zigzagged through the trees. Even though I have flogged it, I have always been very meticulous with the maintenence of this machine, (its how I show her I care). As we crossed 22,238 miles I wondered if she was happier before I bought her, when she was clean and new and gently ridden. I swear at that moment I felt her pull just a little harder as she whispered to me "what are you waiting for? Just twist it''. Yep, soul.

quote:

I always knew my old Harley panhead had heart, but about 25 years ago I got dosed at a dead show (squirt gun shot to my eye) I went out to the parking lot just to check on the old girl, and I had a two hour conversation with her. pretty cool trip, and I still have the bike. I will never sell her. If she can talk she must have a soul. :lol3

a guy who's right and made a handful of posters really mad posted:

owner insecurity + dollars spent + obviousness of primitive construction (oil leaks anyone?) + amount of fiddling needed to get it to run properly for 10 minutes before requiring a teardown + 10xmodel year = soul

look under moto guzzi, ducati, harley davidson

basically, the recent model years that require way too much fiddling with their substandard mechanics/build quality and overblown pricetags owned by people who profess to be "a breed apart" is where you get soul.

see also "lifestyle" and "RUB"

quote:

My RF is a like a really finicky chick you'd take on a blind date, but she has no right to be finicky cuz she's kind of ugly and has bad breath. Then you get drunk and take her home and she gives you a really good ride. You don't really want to put up with her crap, but you learn that if you do she can rock your world.

quote:

I just now realized why bikes are often compared to women. You can intellectualize and make lists of ideal qualities and such, but when the right one comes along- that all goes up in smoke.

quote:

Twirl some spanners on her. Fettle her parts. Then she'll show you some emotion.

an argumentative hair-splitting dong posted:

So a bike with character IMO is one that's interesting, something a little different, a little bit odd and quirky in looks and or mechanicals and is generally pleasing, but there's no getting around the fact that otherwise, it is bland. You don't feel a connection.

A bike with soul may have all the above characteristics too, but when you spark it up and take it out, yes, it moves the body as well as stirs passion due to the way it sounds and feels and handles. Nothing bland about the riding experience. You feel a connection.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I couldn't make it past the second one, you've got iron guts sifting through that vomit.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Fuckin’ losers.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
now look, you've got me making involuntary disgusted noises and i can't stop

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

quote:

I felt her pull just a little harder as she whispered to me "what are you waiting for? Just twist it''. Yep, soul.
This in the context of a KLR is hilarious

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Of course my bike has soul. My bike has soul because I hastily transmuted my brother to it before he was lost to the void during a botched attempt to bring my mom back from the dead. You monsters.

Speaking of monsters, advrider boomers are thirsty creeps. Notice nobody attributes masculine terms to their motorcycles. Nah it's always a girl they want to shag.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

Of course my bike has soul. My bike has soul because I hastily transmuted my brother to it before he was lost to the void during a botched attempt to bring my mom back from the dead. You monsters.

Speaking of monsters, advrider boomers are thirsty creeps. Notice nobody attributes masculine terms to their motorcycles. Nah it's always a girl they want to shag.

And they don't feminize their bikes because of their innate tendency to love and respect women, it's always attributed to some combination of moodiness and sexuality, which pretty strongly shows that they have no real thoughts about the other person in their sex life either. So basically anybody that can produce an explanation for why they think their bike is female is trash.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My bike is just a giant steel and alloy penis hand crafted with my own two hands (mostly the right), lovingly lubed and stroked far more often than those squares at Suzuki think is appropriate.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Imagine a life so monochrome that you think a KRL has soul

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I guess the doohickey counts as soul? Most enthusiast KLR owners perform a soulectomy though

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Slavvy posted:

My bike is just a giant steel and alloy penis hand crafted with my own two hands (mostly the right), lovingly lubed and stroked far more often than those squares at Suzuki think is appropriate.

My bike is like a horse or a big dog I guess because sometimes when I've been riding hard through a crazy storm or freezing fog, or if traffic is crazy and I've just dodged away from getting creamed by some moron, I will pet the gas tank and say "good bike, you're a good one" or similar words of appreciation

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
This is reasonably acceptable. Beasts of burden have a long history of being owned and used, and culturally there is a lot of "man and his horse" dynamic.

Advrider peeps fancy themselves owning, using, and controlling a woman (or more likely girl), and that's beyond weird when they start expounding on it.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
*bike won't start after being left to rot all winter*

"Bitches, amirite?" :grin:

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 4, 2020

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Its advrider. The mods would literally ban you if you brought up such a point. They are very strict about anyone who sows dissent or calls anyone else.

I bet the mods are in that thread posting the same stuff.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

at least they don't molest children :greenangel:

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

*bike won't start after being left to rot all winter*

"Bitches, amirite?" :grin:

right arm posted:

Yeah but I’m not holding my breath on that one.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

right arm posted:

There's enough KLR owners there that it's statistically certain they do.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Slavvy posted:

There's enough KLR owners there that it's statistically certain they do.

i mean if we're talking CA, VFRs are currently in the danger category

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

SalsaRider posted:

Question: Do motorcycles have “souls”?

Salsa, my old 1995 R100RT BMW “airhead” certainly did! She was my girlfriend, my dancing partner, for many years!

We had a bond, an understanding between us. When facing gravel or dirt or mud roads, I’d just pat her tank and say, “Find your own way through.” And she always did!

When we faced curves . . . I swear . . . I would intentionally take no actions except to look at where I wanted to go. Salsa, without any conscious effort on my part, would always steer a perfect path through them: wide at the beginning, cutting in to the edge of the curve, and then wide on the other side.

Did I talk to her? Yes, and gave her pats on her tank every ride we took.

Did I take good care of her? You bet!!!

When did I name her, and recognize that she had a “soul”? About 5 years after I first bought her.

I recently sold Salsa to an airhead enthusiast in Ushuaia, Argentina, on the tip of South America. And I did so on 14 February, 2018, Valentine’s Day!!!

Of all days!!!

The new owner and I toasted the deal over glasses of wine; me, with tears streaming down my face. Even writing this makes me tear-up!

Do motorcycles have “souls”? Think what you will, but I know drat’d well that Salsa did!!!

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

that guy needs to be put on a watch list

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Revvik posted:

Fuckin’ losers.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
A 1995 R100RT would also be high up the list of bikes which it would be hilarious to believe had "soul"

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I loved my ladybike so much that I sold her to a stranger in a foreign country. That's how I went from being a human in traffic to human trafficker.

FeculentWizardTits fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 30, 2019

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I had no idea what redpill or MGTOW was before I stumbled upon those threads in advrider. If you wanna see a bunch of men with absolutely no self-awareness they self-identify there.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

lol at this bit of incredulity

quote:

a Confederate flag is "Racist"? South lost thousands during the Civil War and many families never forget their loved ones.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

My racist ancestors died in a racist war trying to preserve their racist way life how does that make a symbol of racism racist?! Checkmate squids

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

quote:

I've described my 87 GSXR as a girl wearing a black motorcycle jacket and torn fishnets. My 09 R1 is a high-priced dominatrix.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gross

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I never knew so many people out there wanted to have sex with their motorcycle, now I'm going to be really weirded out by the dads on their adventure bikes when I see them at the gas station.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

I never knew so many people out there wanted to have sex with their motorcycle, now I'm going to be really weirded out by the dads on their adventure bikes when I see them at the gas station.

Ah, nothing quite stirs the loins like the functional service of a hefty, crooked eyed German.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nice f800, weird decals though where you get those?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Old men who describe their bikes in sexual terms likely do so because their poor wives, if they ever had one, are tired of pity loving them. No one else is going to do it without cash payment up front.

The poor bike can't say no. It's a waifu pillow for middle-aged mechano-weebs.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Dumb boomer memes are dumb and all, but the “trophy or recognition plaque” is especially confounding because Harley-Davidson literally operates stores full of branded junk (my favorite garbage being the Harley wall clock which revs at you on the hour, something I’ve literally seen hanging in a guy’s office) and no motorcycles.

Also don’t pretend the Aerostitch-and-Schuberth combo is anything but a GSA rider badge. :colbert:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yes yes millennials don't ride motorcycles. This is a commonly understood fact that can be easily seen in the various minibike, supermoto, sport bike communities.

The fact that Harley is outdated overpriced garbage that the used market is flooded with, or it's "culture" that posts things like this, has nothing to do with scaring them off.

And by them I mean anyone below the age of 37. You know. Kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Harley Davidsons ARE a participation trophy that boomers buy for themselves.