Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Acebuckeye13 posted:

eh, I'll come out as having Warren as my #1 candidate, with Bernie as a pretty close second. The wide variety of plans to address a multitude of issues, and issues within those issues, greatly appeals to me, especially when I'm close enough to the issue that I can see the positive impacts many of those plans would have (Such as her comprehensive public lands proposal). That's not to say that I don't think that Sanders will eventually have similar proposals, but the hardcore focus on these issues and the team of advisors she's put together leads me to believe that she would have a greater understanding of the underlying issues and thus be more effective at implementing policies that would otherwise be outside of Sanders' more narrow economic focus. But that's just me, and I can understand why others in this forum would disagree.

Anyway, speaking of plans, foreign policy! Warren's gotten a lot of flak on these forums for her foreign policy, so this is an interesting look at what her focuses as a President in that regard would be:

https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1144636813803425793

A capitalist cannot understand the problem, because the problem is capitalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Raskolnikov38 posted:

on friday in gulag you get 2 bowls of thin gruel

Sounds aspirational. :guillotine:

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Acebuckeye13 posted:

eh, I'll come out as having Warren as my #1 candidate, with Bernie as a pretty close second. The wide variety of plans to address a multitude of issues, and issues within those issues, greatly appeals to me, especially when I'm close enough to the issue that I can see the positive impacts many of those plans would have (Such as her comprehensive public lands proposal). That's not to say that I don't think that Sanders will eventually have similar proposals, but the hardcore focus on these issues and the team of advisors she's put together leads me to believe that she would have a greater understanding of the underlying issues and thus be more effective at implementing policies that would otherwise be outside of Sanders' more narrow economic focus. But that's just me, and I can understand why others in this forum would disagree.

Anyway, speaking of plans, foreign policy! Warren's gotten a lot of flak on these forums for her foreign policy, so this is an interesting look at what her focuses as a President in that regard would be:

So are you saying that some meaningless gesture like this supposed to outweigh her support for the brutal oppression of an entire people?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
reminder that the minimum probes for shitposting in here are still 3 days folks

hope the shitposts were worth it for some of you

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I, like VH4ever, have absolutely no patience for Williamson memery. But its absolutely infuriating to see alternative medicine proposals being dismissed here as 'quack' and 'stupid bullshit'

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

So are you saying that some meaningless gesture like this supposed to outweigh her support for the brutal oppression of an entire people?

I'm also leaning towards Warren as a candidate for my primary vote, and have given her like $15 including for some bumper stickers. Before I stick that to my car, can someone go over the reasons to not support her?

I could go into the reasons why I do have her as my top pick, but I don't think anyone cares. I just want to know why I shouldn't pick her.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i would honestly rather have the crystal wearing hippie as a nominee over someone truly evil like biden, or the cop, or the idiot mayor of nowheresville indiana.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

President Williamson will use the power of crystal magic to heal the hatred in the heart of the Republican party

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

have you seen my baby posted:

President Williamson will use the power of crystal magic to heal the hatred in the heart of the Republican party

If she would just put them in an egg we could avoid a lot of heartache.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Also when did "electoralism" become pejorative

August 1914 :ussr:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

IUG posted:

I'm also leaning towards Warren as a candidate for my primary vote, and have given her like $15 including for some bumper stickers. Before I stick that to my car, can someone go over the reasons to not support her?

I could go into the reasons why I do have her as my top pick, but I don't think anyone cares. I just want to know why I shouldn't pick her.

She's openly defended Israel bombing the poo poo out of the Palestinians for the crime of rattling their cage.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Has Bernie outlined concrete mechanisms for forcibly redistributing control of property, capital, and production away from the capitalist class? Because his proposals sound pretty social democratic to me as well.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

IUG posted:

Literally, she doesn't think that the system itself is fundamentally broken, just that it's lost its way and all we have to do is tweak the numbers and it'll be okay

That's not correct, and thats not enough

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

IUG posted:

Uh Israel, No Child Left Behind But For Hospitals, this entire page:
https://facts.elizabethwarren.com/

Like it's ok if you think Warren is good, but I don't know why you would need someone to explain to you what's bad about her.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Delthalaz posted:

Has Bernie outlined concrete mechanisms for forcibly redistributing control of property, capital, and production away from the capitalist class? Because his proposals sound pretty social democratic to me as well.

Ah yes the "Bernie and warren are exactly the same because Bernie isn't rolling out guillotines" poo poo, miss me with this

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

She's openly defended Israel bombing the poo poo out of the Palestinians for the crime of rattling their cage.

Oof, thanks for letting me know. I'm totally ignorant on that subject because I'm lazy and never look into it. I don't suppose that there's any other candidate who wants to break up the big tech companies, because that's my major reason for supporting her.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

IUG posted:

One of her healthcare proposals was No Child Left Behind, But For Hospitals, managing somehow to be worse than what we have now.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Ah yes the "Bernie and warren are exactly the same because Bernie isn't rolling out guillotines" poo poo, miss me with this

I agree that Bernie is better and he has my vote but I don’t think Warren is unacceptable if it comes down to it

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, my mom was a school teacher, so I know what a nightmare NCLB was.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Delthalaz posted:

I'm honestly surprised Sanders hasn't wholly adopted Warren's proposed tax on assets above $50 million, since that's the only thing that anyone's proposed that even comes close to actively attacking accumulated wealth.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

TulliusCicero posted:

I have news for all you "can't vote because principles" people:

Republicans vote. Every single loving time. Even the Never Trumpers will come back to daddy, because in the end only their wallets, their team, and their superiority in the hierarchy and society matter. They WILL vote for Trump, and they have rigged the game so badly every loving Democrat vote matters despite being the majority of the population.

So loving vote

This post is very correct. They are voting for trump to maintain the status quot of a republican in power. Not voting for trump because they like him they like their party policied. There are never trumpers who also happen to hate abortion and gay rights, they will vote for him just to keep a dem out of office.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

IUG posted:

Oof, thanks for letting me know. I'm totally ignorant on that subject because I'm lazy and never look into it. I don't suppose that there's any other candidate who wants to break up the big tech companies, because that's my major reason for supporting her.

Unfortunately, breaking them up won't accomplish much in the long term. Social networks are natural monopolies so they'll just break apart then re-integrate over time. What we need to do is nationalize them.

Warren has a lot of good proposals that I hope Bernie either learns from or adopts or just more vocal on (for example, Warren has been more vocal on child care than Bernie, but both have proposed free universal prek etc).

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Typo posted:

forcibly removed if you will

they can't all be drugged and shotgunned in their sleep, typo. while your firm moral stance that the above is a superior strategy to people saying hurtful things online is worthy of regard, there simply are not enough COINTELPRO teams to assassinate the indecorous without possibly offending an Attainable Moderate Conservative along the way

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Koalas March posted:

Real talk: VH4 is going through a rough time, cut him some slack.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that he was. I hope things will improve for him soon.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'm honestly surprised Sanders hasn't wholly adopted Warren's proposed tax on assets above $50 million, since that's the only thing that anyone's proposed that even comes close to actively attacking accumulated wealth.

It seems like a pretty darn good proposal. Considering how partisan dislike of billionaires/multi-millionaires is, I could easily see it getting some more traction within the primary debates, at the very least.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Koalas March posted:

Real talk: VH4 is going through a rough time, cut him some slack.

I hope his situation gets better, but also maybe he should avoid this thread if it's going to stress him out that much to read people having fun with joke candidates.

ETA: To break kayfabe and be serious for a minute, no one here has even said they're going to vote for her, much less volunteer. I've been out twice a week knocking doors for Bernie since May, we're allowed to joke about the meme candidates, everyone take a :chillpill:

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 29, 2019

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Dammerung posted:

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that he was. I hope things will improve for him soon.

It seems like a pretty darn good proposal. Considering how partisan dislike of billionaires/multi-millionaires is, I could easily see it getting some more traction within the primary debates, at the very least.

Warren's proposal isn't good because it says absolutely nothing about how to actually enforce it in a world where the us allows anonymous trusts and off shore accounts.

Bernie's actual sponsored bill that raises the estate tax and creates a tax on transfers of financial instruments is more detailed, practical and realistic.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1145013425057280000

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

IUG posted:

She's not actually going to achieve this. Don't give her money any more, you're only undercutting the candidate we actually need.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/marwilliamson/status/1110003128450072576?s=19

love my ant-war candidate

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Unfortunately, breaking them up won't accomplish much in the long term. Social networks are natural monopolies so they'll just break apart then re-integrate over time. What we need to do is nationalize them.

Warren has a lot of good proposals that I hope Bernie either learns from or adopts or just more vocal on (for example, Warren has been more vocal on child care than Bernie, but both have proposed free universal prek etc).

Yeah, I'm not calling for the government to subsidize MySpace or anything. But I do like the idea of breaking Facebook into Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp (that's theirs, right?), and stopping that cryptocurrency from happening. Then also splitting up Amazon/AWS, Apple/Apple Music/Hardware/Software, etc etc, and hopefully just beyond the tech companies. Breaking up the megacorps in general so they stop being a monopoly and having such huge influence.

(Yup, I'm that guy who was happy when Disney bought Fox so that more of Marvel was back together, but hated the megacorp becoming a bigger megacorp. Maybe they'll split Marvel from Disney. :v:)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Williamson owns if she does nothing more than highlight how many candidates have conservative views on vaccine exemptions.

If you're "purity testing" (:v:) Williamson over vaccines, that also removes Inslee, O'Rourke, Biden, Harris, Klobuchar, Castro, Hickenlooper, Gillibrand and Gabbard, all who do not support removing the religious and personal belief exemption.

Which is fine and great because for the most part they all suck already. And that basically just leaves Warren and Sanders as the remaining real contenders.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

IUG posted:

Yeah, I'm not calling for the government to subsidize MySpace or anything. But I do like the idea of breaking Facebook into Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp (that's theirs, right?), and stopping that cryptocurrency from happening. Then also splitting up Amazon/AWS, Apple/Apple Music/Hardware/Software, etc etc, and hopefully just beyond the tech companies. Breaking up the megacorps in general so they stop being a monopoly and having such huge influence.

As mentioned we're talking about a natural monopoly here, and as such it makes far more sense to take it into public ownership rather than splitting things up just for the sake of splitting them up.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

And you shouted them all down and they've left. That's how a forum works. Warren or Harris will make the news again and you'll shout down their supporters again and the thread will be in agreement again.

I think you're confusing "disagreed with them in large enough numbers that they weren't comfortable not being among a bunch of people who already agree with them" with "shouting them down" (which is kind of a strange concept in an internet forum). Though in the case of Warren there are still a bunch of her supporters posting here (that's why I tend to focus most of my attention on her; she probably has the most non-Bernie support in D&D).

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I agree that Bernie will most consistently say things about the things he supports. Outcomes however require doing and that is not his thing.

But that is complete nonsense with no actual factual basis. He has a long history of doing a ton of poo poo in Congress. There is no sane, rational reason to trust Warren (or any of the other candidates) to be more effective.

You know how you guys get annoyed at how Republicans live in an alternate reality with their own facts? That's basically what it's like seeing comments like this.

Cerebral Bore posted:

You know, when you're trying to troll you really shouldn't recycle something that was debunked last time around.

Eh, I think there's a good chance he/she honestly believes that. I made a comparison to Republicans above, and it's not all that different; they absorb a lot of false things as "common sense" and never even think to question whether those things are true.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 29, 2019

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Cenk is trending right.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Acebuckeye13 posted:

my two favorite warren things are that and the "mandatory worker presence on boards", even if she doesn't really go far enough on either

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
How do you even define worker for your "mandatory worker on boards" nonsense

And unless they have a majority share of voting power, what real changes are likely to be made

Mandatory worker ownership. gently caress the concept of a board

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

And you shouted them all down and they've left. That's how a forum works. Warren or Harris will make the news again and you'll shout down their supporters again and the thread will be in agreement again.

Do you have an example of people "shouting them down"? As opposed to "reasonably disagreeing and laying out compelling reasons for doing so"?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Again, Warren's wealth tax proposal is absolutely silent on enforcement, especially since the US allows for things like anonymous trusts, and since the bulk of wealth can be easily rerouted through foundations, offshore trusts, and offshore accounts. Bernie's 77% estate tax plus 0.5% tax on transfers of financial instruments is not only much more aggressive in its redistributive aspects, not only much more enforceable, but also much more detailed, since they are bills that Bernie has introduced.

This is the thing that drives me up a wall. Virtually all of Bernie's signature proposals have been introduced as bills in the senate. Bernie is likely to be the presidential candidate with the most detailed proposals in history, because they are nearly all actually written as bills in the senate. And yet the media treats Warren as the smart wonk because she throws out a wealth tax bill with numbers that are absolutely meaningless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
There is a huge difference between “Warren is ok and she has my support if Bernie can’t continue” and “I’m giving Warren my vote and donating to her campaign. Like screw all of you that are the latter because you’re not serious about change.