Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I’ve played probably around 50 TFT matches so far and it just kind of feels like there’s not much depth because everyone always gets mostly the same team comp of 1-2 tanks, 1-2 ADCs, maybe an Assassin and the ASol or Gnar/Kayle/Kindred and going outside of that is suboptimal and doesn’t allow for “off-meta” curveball or cheese comps. Not knowing who you are going against next means you’re sort of required to be a jack of all trades.

I sorta wish that you were forced to hard commit play one style or comp because it just feels like marathon to get to lategame and the rng factor makes winning feel like you got lucky more than being a smart and good, but I guess these are all just balance issues with some synergies and items feeling too weak or hard to acquire or maybe just synergies kind of ruin the game, I dunno, I’m a huge dumbass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Some of the best teams I've seen have been "grab all the three stars of units nobody else is using, gently caress synergy" and they steamroll everyone else.

More 3 Stars > Synergy in most cases, and games rarely go long enough to get both.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

I think the balance is a little tilted away from synergies at the moment, which is probably not great for the health of the game, but it's definitely not an issue with the genre just TFT. You do see at least some variety in comps in the little mini tournaments streamers are doing though, but it looks pretty hard to win without Draven, A Sol, or cheesing with Shojin Kayle.

Graveyardstick
Nov 18, 2007

Are you too depressed to finish biting through that piece of toast?
Did Santa Riot (Riot Claus?) leave anyone else a good discount skin under their shop tree? I tend to buy the dumb joke skins, so I was glad to see Urf Kench show up in mine.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Had a 2 HP win.

Went all-in on buffing draven with IE/Guinso/RFC, mostly ignoring synergies until I could hit that 4 imperial/blade master combo, kindred was picked up just because I was offered 3 in a single roll.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

I think Shojin is just a busted item for anyone with a good ability, Sol, Kayle, Sej, hell probably even Garen.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Just won using Void/Brawlers/Phantom run, Brawler got up to 4, and made my whole team a tank, then Phantom would kill one of the other guy's champs basically. I had Karth and Kindred in the back, but threw a lovely voliber behind them to account for assassins.

Also look at all those loving random rear end voids all the other guys took, I didn't get a 3 star until the last match, and it was loving Nidalee, not that she's bad, but I only added her to give Warwick Wild. Cho and Warwick were the "tanks" and they both had the item that heals your team for 1000 when they die.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Graveyardstick posted:

Did Santa Riot (Riot Claus?) leave anyone else a good discount skin under their shop tree? I tend to buy the dumb joke skins, so I was glad to see Urf Kench show up in mine.

I got urf kench in a shop once and have never turned back

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Just had a run where I died in 8th where my entire board was filled with guys 1-off from being tier 3 that nobody was even taking and spending everything on rerolling.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
The worst part is the RNG on item drops. Feels bad when you get one drop from the first 3 minion groups and you play someone with 2 complete items.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Anora posted:

Just won using Void/Brawlers/Phantom run, Brawler got up to 4, and made my whole team a tank, then Phantom would kill one of the other guy's champs basically. I had Karth and Kindred in the back, but threw a lovely voliber behind them to account for assassins.

Also look at all those loving random rear end voids all the other guys took, I didn't get a 3 star until the last match, and it was loving Nidalee, not that she's bad, but I only added her to give Warwick Wild. Cho and Warwick were the "tanks" and they both had the item that heals your team for 1000 when they die.

Brawlers are a bit underrated IMO, especially since you can work them with Wild/Void/Glacial comps really easily. That health boost is a big deal, especially if you can get Warmogs/Titanic onto a Warwick, Cho, or Volibear.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
if I had to guess, I think they're going to add more champs by way of different personal equipment decks. just adding more to the pool would make getting synergies basically impossible, it's already tricky to level up some champs. maybe with a common base too, so right now the glacier deck is slotted in and it can be swapped out for a shurima one etc.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

do you have to spend money to get a new avatar in teamfight tactics?

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Had a 2 HP win.

Went all-in on buffing draven with IE/Guinso/RFC, mostly ignoring synergies until I could hit that 4 imperial/blade master combo, kindred was picked up just because I was offered 3 in a single roll.

Alright I'm finally gonna ask because I've been wondering, why do you censor your username in every screenshot or twitch clip, are you worried or something

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Servaetes posted:

Alright I'm finally gonna ask because I've been wondering, why do you censor your username in every screenshot or twitch clip, are you worried or something

I prefer the privacy and not having my ingame name around in screenshot form for anyone to look up, that's all.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 29, 2019

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
There's something really annoying about see people take basically garbage tear characters you're trying to take for no reason. You have a Ninja/assassin build? good job taking enough Rek'sai that you have silver teir you fucker...

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

do you have to spend money to get a new avatar in teamfight tactics?

right now, yes, but eventually you will be able to earn some via TFT-specific quests

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i won my first game of TFT with the elite strategy of "draven" gnar helped a lot too tho.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Just got a 100 win. Turns out if you sac some econ early to rush a couple of decent 3*s, you can very easily just roll from there (I think I copied a streamer, not sure.)

edit: By this I mean, of course, get lucky with items early.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

i mean if you luck out and get 3*s period you're going to roll from there yea

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Gamerofthegame posted:

Getting 3*s doesn’t involve much luck

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

kingcobweb posted:

Getting 3*s doesn’t involve much luck

It does when the morons you're paired with keep unintentionally counter picking you. Like someone had a 3 star vayne in my last game, with no other rangers or nobles.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Gamerofthegame posted:

No, it's quite literally not bothering to save for interest and forcing the ones you want at early levels and you get so much loving money in this game it's just not an issue at all. Very few unit types appear early on so it's actually fairly consistent for me. I did notice that if you overlevel, it becomes not worth it because the early ones you built up are actually really rare at higher level. I do it at about 20 gold or so and just force every turn until I have whoever I want at 3* and then just pump for higher level to catch up or in many cases race ahead due to the streaking. The only time I fell behind doing this if I overstay and try to do stupid stuff like 3* the entire team or 3* units that Im not even using yet like 4x ninja to switch into later on. So dont do that, just get the ones you need and other people wont. I bet it will be harder once people catch on that you can do this for sure, but for now most are just content sitting on items and money. I think an early push in this game pays off a lot more because 1 cost units are actually end-game viable (I know people complain about match length but it looks like most matches are actually cut shorter than the developers intended) compared to the only other auto chess I played.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jun 29, 2019

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Anora posted:

It does when the morons you're paired with keep unintentionally counter picking you. Like someone had a 3 star vayne in my last game, with no other rangers or nobles.

I do this all the time??? Had a game with 3 void and a Vayne-3, won easily

I’ve already posted a HOW TO GET THREE STAR UNITS clip I made, lots of other people have made videos demonstrating this as well. My general strategy is finding out which units I can get three stars and I work things out from there

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Why is it possible to not get items in creep waves? Like, you are turbo hosed if you don't get one in the first 3, and then there isn't any point in playing past the 4th creep wave if you get a garbage item. Why is that even a thing?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

kingcobweb posted:

I do this all the time??? Had a game with 3 void and a Vayne-3, won easily

I’ve already posted a HOW TO GET THREE STAR UNITS clip I made, lots of other people have made videos demonstrating this as well. My general strategy is finding out which units I can get three stars and I work things out from there

I'M SO MAD AT YALL oops sorry had caps lock on from push to talk. I'm so mad that I came home and made a recording of one of my games. Coincidentally I got dogshit rolls!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvnGjoEdZhA

didn't win, got second, but got very close, definitely could have played it better

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jun 29, 2019

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Forgive me for not posting about TFT, but lol

http://imgur.com/hUcPapR

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Is this one of those things where the animation is weird to make it look right from above because its not designed to be seen from any other angle, like how Aatrox doubles in height at times?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

njsykora posted:

Is this one of those things where the animation is weird to make it look right from above because its not designed to be seen from any other angle, like how Aatrox doubles in height at times?

Yes, but the character also has a really weird, cartoony design. Like, Morgana butt wings are barely noticeable in the game, but this new champ looks weird from any angle

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Pyke with 2 Shojins is kinda busted. It's kinda ridiculous how good it is in one of the most budget yet most powerful builds. Pyke, Zed, Kha for Assassins, Mordekaiser and Kindred for Phantoms and then a Knight of your choice (Garen if you can swing him early, I like Sedjani for even more stuns, you can put whatever in here though) will seriously destroy everything on their own, and being nearly all low rank units you can swing 3 stars of them super easy.

Honestly, it's really all just support for Pyke with double Shojins. The only counter to him is hoping the pathing bugs out or getting him out of the fight early with a Zephyr or Phantom combo.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Gave a Tristana a Rapid Fire cannon and she sits at the back blasting their whole team. I can't decide if Luden's was a good choice on her, she gets off a lot of AOE.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 29, 2019

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I usually get rng hosed in the back half, the front half is smooth sailing. But then I am setting up my various 3*s and the game gives me round after round of nidalee and kassadin at level 7-8

it's actually weirdly consistent which makes me think something is fucky but that's probably confirmation bias.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gamerofthegame posted:

I usually get rng hosed in the back half, the front half is smooth sailing. But then I am setting up my various 3*s and the game gives me round after round of nidalee and kassadin at level 7-8

it's actually weirdly consistent which makes me think something is fucky but that's probably confirmation bias.

yeah i have a weird feeling the RNG is biased to specifically not let you get 3* if possible

it's easiest at first when there's a smaller pool of dudes, but then you lose out on econ

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The game is actually biased to make 3stars harder, especially from high tier units. The way it works is there is a set pool for each champion and when a player takes a champion it gets taken out of the pool (selling adds it back). So each slot on your roll bar rolls first to see what tier it is, then it rolls to on that tier table and places whatever champion it rolls. As you take champions out the likelihood of those champions coming up again lower.

Let's say you're trying to make 3star Yasuo. There are 5 tier 5 champions and 10 each at tier 5, so 50 champions picks all over. If no other tier 5 is taken out yet you have a 10/50 chance for a tier 5 to be Yasuo. Once you've taken out 8 Yasuo you have a 1/42 chance to get Yasuo (again assuming no other tier 5s).

The numbers are:
39 tier 1
26 tier 2
21 tier 3
13 tier 4
10 tier 5

For tier 1 it doesn't matter much unless a bunch of people are going for the same tier 1. Tier 2 you're reducing your chances by a third. At tier 3 you're almost halving your chances to see the 9th vs the 1st. And if it's a very popular tier 3 that game it's a nightmare. Beyond that it's pretty tough to 3star.

I don't bother trying hard to 3star anything but tier 1 unless it's a unit I'm stacking items on like Ashe or Rengar.

Oh and the drop rates of units change as you go further in player levels. So the deeper you go the harder it is to get tier 1s and even 2s (3s stay solid once they hit 30%, the later tiers always improve with higher player levels). So that's another way 3stars can get harder assuming they're early units.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 29, 2019

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Phigs posted:

The game is actually biased to make 3stars harder, especially from high tier units. The way it works is there is a set pool for each champion and when a player takes a champion it gets taken out of the pool (selling adds it back). So each slot on your roll bar rolls first to see what tier it is, then it rolls to on that tier table and places whatever champion it rolls. As you take champions out the likelihood of those champions coming up again lower.

Let's say you're trying to make 3star Yasuo. There are 5 tier 5 champions and 10 each at tier 5, so 50 champions picks all over. If no other tier 5 is taken out yet you have a 10/50 chance for a tier 5 to be Yasuo. Once you've taken out 8 Yasuo you have a 1/42 chance to get Yasuo (again assuming no other tier 5s).

The numbers are:
39 tier 1
26 tier 2
21 tier 3
13 tier 4
10 tier 5

For tier 1 it doesn't matter much unless a bunch of people are going for the same tier 1. Tier 2 you're reducing your chances by a third. At tier 3 you're almost halving your chances to see the 9th vs the 1st. And if it's a very popular tier 3 that game it's a nightmare. Beyond that it's pretty tough to 3star.

I don't bother trying hard to 3star anything but tier 1 unless it's a unit I'm stacking items on like Ashe or Rengar.

Oh and the drop rates of units change as you go further in player levels. So the deeper you go the harder it is to get tier 1s and even 2s (3s stay solid once they hit 30%, the later tiers always improve with higher player levels). So that's another way 3stars can get harder assuming they're early units.

And stacking three stars is no guarantee of victory. My first victory was climbing from the bottom to beat this guy, and in the very end he still couldn't believe that he had lost. I could definitely improve, though: I need to get a better sense of when to reroll versus spamming level up or econ. The late game was even between us (I was one loss away from losing for a while) until the rift herald dropped a rapid fire cannon for Draven. I greatly prefer Lulu to Cho'gath since she ults far more often with Spear of Shojin, but the void bonus worked with guardians to protect the group. I picked up Shen because Katrina was using BotRK and I wanted the group bonus from blademaster too.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
The counter to Shojin Pyke is any unit (Nidalee is a good one) with RFC. Can’t get Pyke stunned if you never leave the corner.

Also, try Shojin + disarm item on Lucian

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kingcobweb posted:

The counter to Shojin Pyke is any unit (Nidalee is a good one) with RFC. Can’t get Pyke stunned if you never leave the corner.

Also, try Shojin + disarm item on Lucian

It's ionic spark, he'll just kill himself, if you pair it with morello's it'll actually just kill the entire enemy team. There's a build that a few streamers are doing where you go 6 sorcs + yasuo with ionic spark/morello's/rabadons and even if all your sorcs die instantly yasuo will 1v9 almost any other composition.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

TFT is just a D20 simulator in which I roll a 1 fairly often

How the gently caress did they think having creep waves that give you no item whatsoever was fair in any way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Syrinxx posted:

TFT is just a D20 simulator in which I roll a 1 fairly often

How the gently caress did they think having creep waves that give you no item whatsoever was fair in any way

Yeah I can't imagine them keeping it like this past the first major balance/qol patch, it's overwhelmingly the biggest complaint people have.

M. Night Skymall posted:

It's ionic spark, he'll just kill himself, if you pair it with morello's it'll actually just kill the entire enemy team. There's a build that a few streamers are doing where you go 6 sorcs + yasuo with ionic spark/morello's/rabadons and even if all your sorcs die instantly yasuo will 1v9 almost any other composition.

This sounds fun as hell. I didn't know item abilities scale with AP bonuses!