Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Of course lefty is the fat one. They really are the Three Stooges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Man imagine being able to have “right Ghidorah head” on your acting credits.

That'd be amazing. Better than having an oscar, in my opinion.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Of course lefty is the fat one. They really are the Three Stooges.

Does that mean when it regenerated, it became Shemp?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ARTofNMH/status/1141170486816194560

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Behind the scenes footage of kaiju movies doesn't get better than this.

https://twitter.com/RoseThreat30/status/1101012571828584451

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

so is western godzilla 2 : 2 Monster Boogaloo not very good then? that seems to be the vibe

i liked shin godzilla a lot and my grandma bought me all the old godzilla films when i was a kid so i'm vibing for some kaijus

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Hentai Jihadist posted:

so is western godzilla 2 : 2 Monster Boogaloo not very good then? that seems to be the vibe

i liked shin godzilla a lot and my grandma bought me all the old godzilla films when i was a kid so i'm vibing for some kaijus

The monsters are great, the fighting less so, the music is amazing, the story is bobbins, most of the characters are crap. If you've watched all the old films then you've definitely seen worse.

Worth a punt, imo

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

If you're a fan of Godzilla films there basically isn't any reason to not watch it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hentai Jihadist posted:

It’s a weaker kaiju film than Independence Day: Resurgence. So if you’re really desperate, check that one out first.

If you want an actually-good movie, Skyline 2 is significantly better than either.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It’s a weaker kaiju film than Independence Day: Resurgence. So if you’re really desperate, check that one out first.

If you want an actually-good movie, Skyline 2 is significantly better than either.

It's hard to compare it to ID:R but it's a stronger movie overall, and a certainly better kaiju film. It's hard to argue without you offering some points as to why, but as the first Reiwa era film I'd say it does a very succinct job capturing the anxiety of modern day more than ID:R did for me.

As an aside, if they do Destoroyah it would be interesting to see it as a Shin Gojira type that seems mostly unflinched in his mission to do whatever, evolving and adapting to the dangers presented to him as he slowly and seemingly mindlessly tramples through civilization.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Tezcatlipoca posted:

The Kool-Aid Man is a kaiju.

No he's a kaijin.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Rebel Good would be Mechagodzilla and Lawful Neutral is clearly supermechagodzilla.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chaotic Evil absolutely HAS to be King Ghidorah. His entire motivation for existing is "I don't care who you are, I hate you, and I hate all you love, and I will loving end your poo poo."

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hentai Jihadist posted:

you'll probably dig it. the division is pretty much within people who aren't kaiju-heads; if you grew up with this poo poo and you're primarily looking for big chunguses (chungi?) beating the hell out of each other you'll love this

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

you'll probably dig it. the division is pretty much within people who aren't kaiju-heads; if you grew up with this poo poo and you're primarily looking for big chunguses (chungi?) beating the hell out of each other you'll love this

Disagree. I thought it was pretty drat weak. Apart from a few nice money shots the action looks like poo poo, not a patch on Skull Island or Invasion of Astro Monster, and the narrative is by turns incoherent and outright gross. I never saw Krampus and I sure as heck have no interest now. What a disappointing mess

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

No he's a kaijin.

So is Paul Bunyan.

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 30, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DeimosRising posted:

Apart from a few nice money shots the action looks like poo poo

what the gently caress do you have working eyes

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

what the gently caress do you have working eyes

He's right. A lot of it does. Big parts of it are too shaky cam, too dark and zoomed in way too close

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People have broken eyes and souls.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BiggerBoat posted:

He's right. A lot of it does. Big parts of it are too shaky cam, too dark and zoomed in way too close

there's a lot of unclear handheld photography in the movie, but it's in service of giving the action sequences a rhythm of unclear buildup -> clear "money shot" payoff that I thought worked incredibly well. the stuff that's unclear doesn't need to be clear; the stuff that needs to be clear, is.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

So is Paul Bunyan.

:hmmyes:

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
King of the Monsters is the Avengers of Godzilla movies.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

UmOk posted:

That's the worst thing anyone has said about King of the Monsters in this entire thread

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Burkion posted:

That's the worst thing anyone has said about King of the Monsters in this entire thread

I mean, some of it looks way better than Avengers but the movie is very Whedon-ish.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's a movie that cast someone as good as Vera Famiga and just had her monologue to camera, but also cast Charles Dance and didn't give him a monologue.

It's kind of a weird movie.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Yes, the casting choices made by Legendary in G'14 and KOTM have been...odd. Even with Skull Island, it's easy to forget that the best actors are still just side-characters.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
It's a 'comic book movie', in the sense that all the good visuals are the single long shots that were all over the trailers, like comic panels.

Like Age of Ultron, but not quite as awful.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Personally, I think there's some stuff that is charming and fun when it's a guy in a rubber suit with a bunch of miniatures, that is pretty tedious and sophomoric in a $200 million special effects extravaganza.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The problems of the movie for me completely fell away in how happy I was to see Godzilla appear to fight Ghidorah with the original theme playing and Mothra hatching with hers.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Has the alpha signal for the kaiju ever appeared in any other Godzilla movies?

This was in Godzilla: Legends #1:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

UmOk posted:

No.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Mr Hootington posted:

Has the alpha signal for the kaiju ever appeared in any other Godzilla movies?

Not that I recall, but I believe that there was a similar plot point in the Half Century War miniseries.

Of course, in Godzilla 1984 they DO trick Godzilla into falling into a volcano because he was lured by bird songs...

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's the Phantom Menace of Godzilla in that I am trying my best to convince myself that it was actually pretty good.... :smith:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The Golden Gael posted:

It's hard to compare it to ID:R but it's a stronger movie overall, and a certainly better kaiju film. It's hard to argue without you offering some points as to why, but as the first Reiwa era film I'd say it does a very succinct job capturing the anxiety of modern day more than ID:R did for me.

If you’re referring to the ‘global warming’ stuff, Godzilla 2 isn’t actually about global warming at all. There’s some inclement weather, but that’s not the same thing. (Even by that standard, the biggest/only scene of a population being affected by bad weather is when Rodan flies over Mexico - and Rodan is ‘natural’, a volcanic eruption or whatever.)

ID42 is, at the very least, a basic Starship Troopers riff with a giant, spherical iPod in the Neil Patrick Harris role.

It might be helpful to go back to Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster - which features numerous references to Gorath and functions as a prequel / thematic counterpart. (Three-Headed Monster is presumably set in 1963, while Gorath is set in the late 1970s.)

The Venusian foretells that Ghidorah will turn the earth into “a dead star”. It’s an odd choice of words unless you recall that Gorath is a dead star - specifically a fragment of an exploded neutron star - that wanders the cosmos absorbing entire worlds with its incredible gravitational pull.

Unlike in this Godzilla 2, Ghidorah’s arrival in 1963 is extremely bizarre. A meteorite lands on Earth, yes, but Ghidorah is not actually inside of it. When the rock cracks open, a red sun appears in the sky, and emits flames that materialize into Ghidorah. So Ghidorah is very much the incarnation/embodiment of the dead star - a vision of the looming apocalypse, triggered by the spectacular crash of the meteorite (whose magnetism is oddly similar to Gorath’s gravitational effects). There’s much affinity with other works: Krypton’s red sun, Kryptonite meteors etc. In Vs. Hedorah, Ken Yano declares that “Godzilla is a superman!”

(We might as well add that Ghidorah‘s lightning attacks are officially called “gravity beams,” though I don’t recall it being mentioned in any of the films. Zod deploys a gravity weapon in Man Of Steel.)

The idea of visions and hallucinations is established early on with the UFO cult, whose members insist that flying saucers will not appear before an unbeliever. Ghidorah appears to those who believe in him, whereas an ‘objective’ observer may see only a meteor.

Of course, neither Three-Headed Monster nor Gorath are actually about the threat posed by random neutron-star fragments. The prophet’s abstract vision of the apocalypse is contextualized by Three-Headed Monster’s Cold War setting, where Princess Salno and her West-leaning nation are evidently under threat by Soviet agents, leading to her to escape to Japan - which has its own share of problems. Miraculously surviving a bombing, Salno emerges from ‘the gap between the two worlds’ as a homeless prophet. And Ghidorah likewise emerges from a gap - the splitting of the meteorite into two halves - apparently popping in from another dimension or something. Both Ghidorah and his counterpart are beyond the Cold War squabble, yet inextricably linked to it by the prospect of global annihilation.

In the logic of Godzilla 2’s narrative, the central macguffin - the “ORCA” device - represents the spirit of the dead child. (I’m very surprised that the ‘human voice pattern’ wasn’t revealed to literally be a recording of the son’s voice). So what is being expressed here?

Already things are muddled. Exposition from Serizawa will refer to ‘strip mining’ as the cause of the son’s death - but only extremely elliptically. A uranium-mining company unearthed the MUTOs who then attacked San Fran, in the 2014 film, but you wouldn’t know it from watching this film. The opening flashback scene, by omitting the MUTOs, effectively says that the son was killed by a rampaging Godzilla and there’s ultimately nothing that contradicts this, (except that Godzilla is ultimately, inexplicably, celebrated by all the characters).

The ORCA device is then used to resurrect Ghidorah, who... doesn’t really do anything except what we’re told is being depicted on LCD screens. “They’re moving like a pack of wolves!!”, or whatever. Like, first, no they aren’t - and then there are only like three monsters in the ‘pack’, and it’s being mapped out on a globe. These are effectively random dots, and it’s acinematic in any case.

Anyways, the point is that this film’s Ghidorah is defined entirely by his not-being-Godzilla, while Godzilla stands for... an ancient, regal, pharaonic status that grants him the right to kill children - effectively making the son into a ‘virgin sacrifice’ like the girls said to be sacrificed by ancient Shinto Gojira-worshippers in the 1954 film. This is why Farmhglia’s ultimately punished for ‘not letting go’ or whatever, only redeeming herself when she hails to the king and smashes the ORCA machine that is the last trace of her son.

What this has to do with global warming is unclear.

Also, yes, the action scenes are butt.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 2, 2019

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

If you’re referring to the ‘global warming’ stuff, Godzilla 2 isn’t actually about global warming at all. There’s some inclement weather, but that’s not the same thing. (Even by that standard, the biggest/only scene of a population being affected by bad weather is when Rodan flies over Mexico - and Rodan is ‘natural’, a volcanic eruption or whatever.)

ID42 is, at the very least, a basic Starship Troopers riff with a giant, spherical iPod in the Neil Patrick Harris role.

It might be helpful to go back to Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster - which features numerous references to Gorath and functions as a prequel / thematic counterpart. (Three-Headed Monster is presumably set in 1963, while Gorath is set in the late 1970s.)

The Venusian foretells that Ghidorah will turn the earth into “a dead star”. It’s an odd choice of words unless you recall that Gorath is a dead star - specifically a fragment of an exploded neutron star - that wanders the cosmos absorbing entire worlds with its incredible gravitational pull.

Unlike in this Godzilla 2, Ghidorah’s arrival in 1963 is extremely bizarre. A meteorite lands on Earth, yes, but Ghidorah is not actually inside of it. When the rock cracks open, a red sun appears in the sky, and emits flames that materialize into Ghidorah. So Ghidorah is very much the incarnation/embodiment of the dead star - a vision of the looming apocalypse, triggered by the spectacular crash of the meteorite (whose magnetism is oddly similar to Gorath’s gravitational effects). There’s much affinity with other works: Krypton’s red sun, Kryptonite meteors etc. In Vs. Hedorah, Ken Yano declares that “Godzilla is a superman!”

(We might as well add that Ghidorah‘s lightning attacks are officially called “gravity beams,” though I don’t recall it being mentioned in any of the films. Zod deploys a gravity weapon in Man Of Steel.)

The idea of visions and hallucinations is established early on with the UFO cult, whose members insist that flying saucers will not appear before an unbeliever. Ghidorah appears to those who believe in him, whereas an ‘objective’ observer may see only a meteor.

Of course, neither Three-Headed Monster nor Gorath are actually about the threat posed by random neutron-star fragments. The prophet’s abstract vision of the apocalypse is contextualized by Three-Headed Monster’s Cold War setting, where Princess Salno and her West-leaning nation are evidently under threat by Soviet agents, leading to her to escape to Japan - which has its own share of problems. Miraculously surviving a bombing, Salno emerges from ‘the gap between the two worlds’ as a homeless prophet. And Ghidorah likewise emerges from a gap - the splitting of the meteorite into two halves - apparently popping in from another dimension or something. Both Ghidorah and his counterpart are beyond the Cold War squabble, yet inextricably linked to it by the prospect of global annihilation.

In the logic of Godzilla 2’s narrative, the central macguffin - the “ORCA” device - represents the spirit of the dead child. (I’m very surprised that the ‘human voice pattern’ wasn’t revealed to literally be a recording of the son’s voice). So what is being expressed here?

Already things are muddled. Exposition from Serizawa will refer to ‘strip mining’ as the cause of the son’s death - but only extremely elliptically. A uranium-mining company unearthed the MUTOs who then attacked San Fran, in the 2014 film, but you wouldn’t know it from watching this film. The opening flashback scene, by omitting the MUTOs, effectively says that the son was killed by a rampaging Godzilla and there’s ultimately nothing that contradicts this, (except that Godzilla is ultimately, inexplicably, celebrated by all the characters).

The ORCA device is then used to resurrect Ghidorah, who... doesn’t really do anything except what we’re told is being depicted on LCD screens. “They’re moving like a pack of wolves!!”, or whatever. Like, first, no they aren’t - and then there are only like three monsters in the ‘pack’, and it’s being mapped out on a globe. These are effectively random dots, and it’s acinematic in any case.

Anyways, the point is that this film’s Ghidorah is defined entirely by his not-being-Godzilla, while Godzilla stands for... an ancient, regal, pharaonic status that grants him the right to kill children - effectively making the son into a ‘virgin sacrifice’ like the girls said to be sacrificed by ancient Shinto Gojira-worshippers in the 1954 film. This is why Farmhglia’s ultimately punished for ‘not letting go’ or whatever, only redeeming herself when she hails to the king and smashes the ORCA machine that is the last trace of her son.

What this has to do with global warming is unclear.

Also, yes, the action scenes are butt.

Or whatever

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do think Kotm took the wrong lesson from the superhero movie trend of putting civilians out of harm's way. When Superman destroys an entire city fighting Zod it creates a dissonance with what people come to expect from a superhero. The Avengers actively trying to keep people safe during the New York battle was a good way to address this but since then pretty much every film that has made attempts to minimize collateral damage during city buster fights has done so in a way that stretches credibility. Avengers 2 has the "save civilians" taken to a godawful level, Batman v superman has the lamest "oh that area's abandoned" and King of the Monsters has the entire city of Boston getting evacuated in an afternoon.

Thing is, Kaiju movies are not superhero movies. Collateral damage is part of the package, it's why Godzilla movies have a mandate to include at least one "people running from the big monster" scene per film. Seeing the human cost of the fight in Boston would have made the ending more ambiguous, letting us question if Godzilla is a protector of humans or just an enforcer of the natural order.

The best part of the film is Rodan's rampage and I attribute part of that to the people getting blown away. These are monsters bigger than humanity can handle and even if we try to save people, do everything right and take the correct steps, we can still lose because we're way out of our league.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 3, 2019

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

UmOk posted:

I agree.

Because both are bad

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
So we can talk about tone.

Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster is - controversially, I guess - the film where Godzilla first emerges as a comedic and even heroic figure. (As does Rodan - although, for whatever reason, I haven’t seen any complaint there.)

But this shift into comedy is narratively justified by the appearance of the prophet, whose lesson is that Godzilla’s typical ‘versus’ battles (against Kong, against Mothra...) are a ridiculous acting-out compared to the universal threat posed by Ghidorah/Gorath/capitalism.

And while Godzilla is made a figure of fun, these kaiju scenes serve as satirical commentary on the deadly-serious conflict between the Japanese detective Shindo and the Soviet assassin Malmess (and, by extension, the Cold War itself). The characters’ bloody gunfights are likened to Godzilla and Rodan surreptitiously, ineffectually, flinging boulders at eachother.

Also, yes, this means that this particular Rodan is (canonically(?!)) a Soviet monster - a reflection of Malmess. Meanwhile, Godzilla and Mothra’s conflict is mirrored in the sibling rivalry between straight-laced Det. Shindo and his pop-feminist sister, Naoko.

So while the monsters buddy up and beat Ghidorah into submission, the dramatic nuance of the film is that Det. Shindo - defeating the Soviet plot in a conventional restoration-of-the-status-quo ending - has failed. The true ending would be for Shindo to team up with Malmess, against the commonsense that they should despise eachother and battle to the death. But where Rodan is swayed by Mothra’s bravery, Malmess and Naoko never really meet. There’s no communication between them, so you don’t get this triad of heroes on the human side of things. The monarchy is restored, the prophet is consequently lost - and Ghidorah is only chased away, not really defeated. It’s not a happy ending.

In Godzilla 2, the nonstop Avengers quipping serves a different function: to gloss over and cover up, to add a spoonful of ironic distance to the human sacrifice. Mothra and Godzilla are, incestuously, declared a married couple via a deluge of sex jokes, etc. It’s really bad stuff.

And note again the lack of clarity. Honda’s Rodan is a Soviet monster lurking in Japan. This new Rodan is... a monstrous version of White Dad’s daughter? Why is she in Mexico? (Why is Godzilla’s daughter inside a Mexican volcano?)

More to the point, what is the specific real-world threat that would ally itself with ‘ecoterrorists’ to kill Mexican children? Are ‘Mexican children’ being deployed as a cheap shorthand for ‘victimhood’? (Yes.)

As with a lot of these faux-irreverent movies, the characters conspicuously avoid joking about the truly moronic stuff, because that’s what they hold sacred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

So we can talk about tone.

Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster is - controversially, I guess - the film where Godzilla first emerges as a comedic and even heroic figure. (As does Rodan - although, for whatever reason, I haven’t seen any complaint there.)

I can cut this particular Gordian knot: nobody really cares about Rodan outside of the hardest-core kaiju geeks. He's basically cast filler, a monster who can fill any "just throw some random kaiju here I guess" role needed, regardless of the specifics; he's closer to Anguirus in this regard than he is to Godzilla himself.

e: This is not, I should note, a knock on Rodan as a character. Rodan's fun. He's just also extremely not important.