Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I spent a fantasia to change the voice on my Viera and I'm not sure if it was a good choice :negative:

I can't remember having a problem with the combat voices on any other character (I can't even remember what the voice on my character was like before changing to a bunny), but I think I kinda... don't like any of the Viera ones. It doesn't help that they only have 2 combat grunts that they spam over and over either, it's especially awkward when dancing since your character is just going HNNGH HNNGH HNNNGH with the same voiceline on repeat.

Nothing can be perfect, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

a certain character mentioned that he "followed [me] to Eulmore and then on to Amh Araeng" even though I did amh araeng first

fix your loving GAME yoship

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
As a newbie who has only focused on 1 job since starting a little over a week ago and am at lvl 52 Bard are there any tips for getting up to current content?
It looks like I'll be gated by having to play through all of the main quests for each expansion and I think I'm about 3/4 into the Realm Reborn. Should I basically just always do main & job quest content and only start doing other quests/roulette if content starts getting past my level? With the current XP boosts I'm not sure that'll happen but who knows.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Campbell posted:

As a newbie who has only focused on 1 job since starting a little over a week ago and am at lvl 52 Bard are there any tips for getting up to current content?
It looks like I'll be gated by having to play through all of the main quests for each expansion and I think I'm about 3/4 into the Realm Reborn. Should I basically just always do main & job quest content and only start doing other quests/roulette if content starts getting past my level? With the current XP boosts I'm not sure that'll happen but who knows.

Yes, if you just want to get to ShB as fast as possible. Even with tunneling the MSQ you've got quite a ways to go, but if you're past the 45-49 gap it's all at least fairly steady progress from here.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So Shadowbringers is the Final Fantasy IX expac, right? Vamo Alla Flamenco, Queen Brahne, Zorn and Thorn, the planet merging process, even the cycle of souls (albeit without the Iifa Tree), etc.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
if you're still doing ARR pre-50 and want to just play SHB asap there is a good chance it's worth it to just buy the msq boost.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
drat it's really not great to be a level 31 sprout and at the mercy of duty roulette to get past an MSQ mission. Trying to burn through MSQ as quickly as possible and I keep getting stuck in long rear end queues for non-optional group content.

e: all I wanted was to get through bowl of embers before going to work :cry:

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 29, 2019

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DrNutt posted:

drat it's really not great to be a level 31 sprout and at the mercy of duty roulette to get past an MSQ mission. Trying to burn through MSQ as quickly as possible and I keep getting stuck in long rear end queues for non-optional group content.

e: all I wanted was to get through bowl of embers before going to work :cry:

You can queue for specific dungeons and trials. Open the duty window (where you get roulettes) and click the specific dungeon or trial you want to queue for. Just be warned that it tends to take longer to get into a specific dungeon or trial than random roulettes, and it won't give you a time estimate.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cythereal posted:

You can queue for specific dungeons and trials. Open the duty window (where you get roulettes) and click the specific dungeon or trial you want to queue for. Just be warned that it tends to take longer to get into a specific dungeon or trial than random roulettes, and it won't give you a time estimate.

Yeah I am doing that, it's just the queues are really long because most people are doing the new content! Sucks to be a newbie at new expansion time I guess.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I think this may actually beat out HW for pinnacle of the game so far.

I haven’t had this much fun with an MMO since WOTLK days.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
#FashionGoals

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Thoughts on Trusts - they're good. All players should be forced to play dungeons with Trusts before being allowed to play them with other players. Do they go a bit slower than normal players? Sure. I think the level 71 dungeon took me right around 30-35 minutes with Trusts. But also, I've been in shorter length dungeons that have taken far longer with party members. Trusts are especially great for people like my wife. She's an infrequent casual player and she gets severe performance anxiety whenever she is grouped with strangers in a new dungeon. She has a hard time processing mechanics when around other people because she's so afraid of dying to them (which, in turn, usually leads her to dying to the mechanics). Trusts allow her to learn mechanics at her pace and if she fails and dies at a step, she doesn't have to worry about upsetting people.

I really enjoy Trusts because they are lower stress but also force a higher skill floor. You will not be upsetting others if you screw up and die, but you cannot progress unless you can avoid screwing up and dying.

Trusts are one of the best thing to ever happen to this game and I hope they extend it all the way back to Sastasha.

I'll say again - All players should be forced to do MSQ dungeons with trusts before they are unlocked in duty finder. (And I'd be okay with allowing exceptions for people to skip trusts if they queue in full groups)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DrNutt posted:

Yeah I am doing that, it's just the queues are really long because most people are doing the new content! Sucks to be a newbie at new expansion time I guess.
don't worry, the queues are really long as a dps even when people aren't doing the new content, as I found out when leveling through HW :v:

I'm not sure I had a single (story-required) queue under 30 minutes, but apparently I had lousy luck

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Anyone with yellow scrip 70 gear, how is it holding up in the expansion? I got nearly 2k scrips, gotta burn them. Never got around to getting the other end game stuff

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Your Computer posted:

don't worry, the queues are really long as a dps even when people aren't doing the new content, as I found out when leveling through HW :v:

I'm not sure I had a single (story-required) queue under 30 minutes, but apparently I had lousy luck

I'm a tank lol

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Leal posted:

Anyone with yellow scrip 70 gear, how is it holding up in the expansion? I got nearly 2k scrips, gotta burn them. Never got around to getting the other end game stuff

Don't bother, you can buy Grade VII materia with yellow scrip and sell them for a small fortune right now.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DrNutt posted:

I'm a tank lol

I guess... everyone is playing a tank now? I'm not sure why the tank queues are so bad right now but I've heard several people say it :iiam:

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

DrNutt posted:

Are you in one of the goon FCs? There's usually at least someone willing to burn story dungeons and trials for you if you ask, since you don't need to do them level synced, even now. Sometimes you want a break from leveling to go kill Ifrit in 35 seconds. There's hard/extreme modes of a lot of the dungeons and trials later so you can still see the fights in more detail later on.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Fister Roboto posted:

Don't bother, you can buy Grade VII materia with yellow scrip and sell them for a small fortune right now.

I was checking materia prices and while Grade VII materia is listed anywhere from 20k-250k, no one is actually buying it right now.

I venture to guess that we'll see some big movement either up or down in another week when the bulk of players reach 80.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Alright I know what I'll be blowing my yellow scrips on.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Draxion posted:

Are you in one of the goon FCs? There's usually at least someone willing to burn story dungeons and trials for you if you ask, since you don't need to do them level synced, even now. Sometimes you want a break from leveling to go kill Ifrit in 35 seconds. There's hard/extreme modes of a lot of the dungeons and trials later so you can still see the fights in more detail later on.

Nah, I mostly play solo and I'm pretty casual so I didn't bother joining up. I also joined a preferred server (Lamia) for the exp boost so I would probably have to transfer anyway. The occasional bad queue isn't terrible it's just kind of annoying when it's getting in the way of MSQ progress.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Your Computer posted:

I spent a fantasia to change the voice on my Viera and I'm not sure if it was a good choice :negative:

I can't remember having a problem with the combat voices on any other character (I can't even remember what the voice on my character was like before changing to a bunny), but I think I kinda... don't like any of the Viera ones. It doesn't help that they only have 2 combat grunts that they spam over and over either, it's especially awkward when dancing since your character is just going HNNGH HNNGH HNNNGH with the same voiceline on repeat.

Nothing can be perfect, I suppose.

have you considered hrothgar voice 5

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

LegionAreI posted:

Seen in Times Square today. It goes on the other side of the building too. Not something I expected for an MMO expansion at this time in the lifecycle!

I work right there and see this every day. It’s actually what got me to reinstall and start playing again, having not thought about this game in years. Now I’m barreling down towards 70 on a DRK.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Thoughts on Trusts - they're good. All players should be forced to play dungeons with Trusts before being allowed to play them with other players. Do they go a bit slower than normal players? Sure. I think the level 71 dungeon took me right around 30-35 minutes with Trusts.

Oh good, I was worried that I'd gotten rusty.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
KOBOLD WITHOUT A HELMET HOLY poo poo HE'S PERFECTION

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

I want to be his friend.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Photographic evidence proving that Kobolds were actually overgrown Spriggans all along.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I love and want to protect this

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Odd request but I'm always up for adventure.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I’m having a harmed time judging the effectiveness of my new RDM AoE rotation. It feels like it both does little damage and builds B&W mana really slowly. The only time it feels powerful is those bursty moments where you pop Embolden at 100 B/W do two moulinets then use manafication and do five more moulinets.

Getting used to constantly using Lucid Dreaming though. Did they remove its emnity reduction? It’s not mentioned in the tooltip anymore.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 29, 2019

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Leal posted:

Odd request but I'm always up for adventure.

A "dab hand" is someone who is very good at something. An expert, adept, or professional. Much like how 'anon' means soon, or shortly (not 4chan) and 'smallclothes' are not, in fact, small clothes.

Sorry to say, he's not asking for your dance moves. Thanks Koji for the lessons in olde englishe.

:pseudo:

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I’m having a harmed time judging the effectiveness of my new RDM AoE rotation. It feels like it both does little damage and builds B&W mana really slowly. The only time it feels powerful is those bursty moments where you pop Embolden at 100 B/W do two moulinets then use manafication and do five more moulinets.

Getting used to constantly using Lucid Dreaming though. Did they remove its emnity reduction? It’s not mentioned in the tooltip anymore.

Yep. I think most things like this did, Elusive Jump lost it as well.

Draxion fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 29, 2019

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Any good way to level RDM 50-60 without using PoTD? I'm matching with idiots, wiping level 50 boss about 10 times now...

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

serious norman posted:

Any good way to level RDM 50-60 without using PoTD? I'm matching with idiots, wiping level 50 boss about 10 times now...

Unlock the HW beast tribe quests on a higher level character and do those plus duty roulettes, they're all excellent XP. Once you've finished off those you should queue for the highest level dungeon you have access to.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 29, 2019

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Cabbit posted:

Unlock the HW beast tribe quests on a higher level character and do those plus duty roulettes, they're all excellent XP. Once you've finished off those you should queue for the highest level dungeon you have access to.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Pibur posted:

I want to be his friend.

Arist posted:

I love and want to protect this

IT'S AN ENTIRE TOWN FULL OF THEM

IT'S THE BEST TOWN IN THE ENTIRE XPAC AND I NEED A HOUSING DISTRICT FOR IT

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There's a quest name that references "Shrek is love, Shrek is life."

Amazing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Yeah, having played RDM mainly in the last expac, this is basically more of the same with a few minor hotbar changes.

Yeah, and to be fair, RDM didn't really need much. The things I would've asked for, it got (slightly more involved AoE, hotbar button consolidation). So I have no complaints about the state of RDM right now. It's just that I've played a bunch of it and wouldn't mind a change of pace.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I haven’t played this since before the first expansion and this looks pretty good so I preordered. Turns out my token app on my phone isn’t linked up and I can’t sign in to re-pair it. Also sqenix support doesn’t seem to work on weekends so I’m just stuck waiting to hear back :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So the wife and I are considering playing this, but looking at the Free Trial it seems like one of the limitations is you can't invite people to parties? Should we just get the base game on Steam (Starter Edition?) and then buy the latest expansion if we get that far?

[Edit: lol can't copy/paste password to create account in the launcher or on their site fffffffffffffffffffff]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 29, 2019