Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

I watched it in a preview screening and when Gwen and Miles said goodbye but didn't kiss, some people behind me went 'he's a gentleman, he's a gentleman'.

It was a mostly black crowd (probably the first time I went on a movie crowd where most of the people looked like me) and it was honestly one of the most fun movie going experiences of my life. I already loved the movie but, man, I'd give anything to watch it with that crowd again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Zore posted:

They were pretty clearly building up a romantic arc between the two. Like they end the movie platonic but they're both into each other and I expect that to be taken further in the sequel.

the hot new thing in hollywood is to have interracial representation but never actually deliver on it because it's very easy to dogwhistle in a way that reasonable people infer and move on with their lives while the rabid morons who would boycott your movie if the (it's always a black guy and a white girl) black guy and the white girl kiss won't do anything if they don't actually show them doing anything. i'm tempted to call it cowardice but this is 2019 and people might actually die if you commit to your beliefs so i'm not going to blame them for skillfully skirting the subject.

see also: detective pikachu (detective pikachu at least breaks the mold a little by having the black guy be interracial and have his parents be white guy / black girl but it's still rife with it)

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

That is a true thing. Movies tend to skirt it if it is a suspense or horror film, but studios would be super, super scared of backlash (any money loss) from having a black guy/blonde white girl teen romance with an actual kiss.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

the next movie is gonna have black/latino Spider-Man, Girl Spider-Man, Mexican/Irish Spider-Man and Pig Spider-Man going on time adventures

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ungulateman posted:

the hot new thing in hollywood is to have interracial representation but never actually deliver on it because it's very easy to dogwhistle in a way that reasonable people infer and move on with their lives while the rabid morons who would boycott your movie if the (it's always a black guy and a white girl) black guy and the white girl kiss won't do anything if they don't actually show them doing anything. i'm tempted to call it cowardice but this is 2019 and people might actually die if you commit to your beliefs so i'm not going to blame them for skillfully skirting the subject.

While this is all 100% true, a kiss at end of Spider-Verse would have felt rushed considering Gewn's arc and where her and Miles relationship was at. Now if they continue to build romantic tension in the sequel and still don't pay it off, then that would be pretty cowardly.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

While this is all 100% true, a kiss at end of Spider-Verse would have felt rushed considering Gewn's arc and where her and Miles relationship was at. Now if they continue to build romantic tension in the sequel and still don't pay it off, then that would be pretty cowardly.

Yeah, only real reason I give it a pass. Not quite as bad as Romeo must Die where the Asian dude stays strictly platonic and sexless in this Romeo and Juliet retelling.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

waah posted:

Nah, gimme more Gwen. I'd love to see their arc of movies be Miles and Gwen as just platonic friends since they have pretty good chemistry as friends and a good male/female non-romantic friendship isn't something you see often in movies.

The movie made it pretty clear that their relationship was strictly platonic, which felt great and right. I'm not sure where they would've even found the time to shoehorn in a romance for one thing, and having Gwen as an obviously much more experienced, much more saavy Spider-person fall for Miles in the course of a handful of interactions over a week? 10 days? would've felt super forced. The movie built it up to be a big deal that part of Miles becoming Spider-man was breaking down the various barriers that the other Spider-people had (at least Pete B. Parker and Gwen) and helping them move on as part of him finding his own footing/identity. He earned Gwen's respect and got to be her friend, which is a GREAT message to send to young men and women. Validating platonic relationships, especially between men and women, as important, necessary, rewarding, and requiring mutual effort is something that's even rarer than interracial pairings.

Of course, all that being said, they do end up together in the comics in some alternate timeline IIRC. So I would expect some of that to bleed into whatever sequels we get, but I hope they slow roll it and give us some time to see them develop as friends, along with fleshing out their relationships outside of Spider-people interactions. A lot of what sold the movie was that Mile's family and friendships felt real and lived in, ditto for what little we saw of the other Spider-people.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I mean, their relationship is platonic at the end for the sake of time and pacing but there is definite romantic tension—their first encounter was meet-cute 101—and some amount of mutual attraction. I would be shocked if they didn't build on that in any follow-up films.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mat Cauthon posted:

Validating platonic relationships, especially between men and women, as important, necessary, rewarding, and requiring mutual effort is something that's even rarer than interracial pairings.

I'd disagree. White male + whatever exists a lot because of exoticism and imperialism, but black/Asian male + white woman is even rarer than that, I'd say.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Skippy McPants posted:

their first encounter was meet-cute 101
Which was engineered by Gwwaaaaaanda because she spider-sensed Miles was wrapped up in her dimension hopping somehow.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Which was engineered by Gwwaaaaaanda because she spider-sensed Miles was wrapped up in her dimension hopping somehow.

Sure, but the way that interaction unfolds is like something out of a Meg Ryan movie: embarrassing situation, forced proximity, awkward drama. It's a checklist of what you find in most romantic comedies.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 22, 2019

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
For the record, the directors wanted to have Miles and Gwen get together but one of the other staff members (a woman, I recall), said to save it for the sequel.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Kudos to that lady, cause it woulda come off as super forced.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kinda glad that the trend of love interests going from total strangers to smooching within the runtime of a movie seems to be fading out in general, if only because they gotta save something for the sequel.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Darko posted:

I'd disagree. White male + whatever exists a lot because of exoticism and imperialism, but black/Asian male + white woman is even rarer than that, I'd say.

I don't think this is true anymore. I can think of like, 10 interracial couples on TV right now, in addition to whatever shows up in movies. Minority dude + WW is a pretty safe pairing as far as injecting representation/diversity in media right now, even though you get a lot of grognards on social media complaining about a Cheerio's commercial forcing miscegenation down their throats. It's not the 90's anymore where someone like Denzel Washington specifically avoided doing romantic scenes with white co-stars in order to reduce the risk of controversy. Not saying that media has reached the pinnacle of inclusion and representation or that it shouldn't be criticized but there's a lot out there.

Anyway, I like the trend of there being space for relationships in media to be fluid and winding instead of just going straight from meet-cute to forever in love or whatever. If the thing about the women director's influence pushing that in Spider-verse is true then it just goes to show how much need there is for diversity and inclusion behind the scenes as much as in the finished product.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 22, 2019

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mat Cauthon posted:

Make an entire Spider-man movie but let that lady play every role. Especially J.J.J.

There are so many heartfelt moments, even just in passing that the entire movie tugs on your heartstrings even while it's leaving you astonished.
They should unironically cast her as a live-action Cindy Moon/Silk.

Steve2911 posted:

Instead of a sequel they should do a shot for shot remake the 2003 MTV series with this animation quality and style.

They should bring NPH back as MTV Spider-Man in a cameo, at least.

Hell, they could technically wrap up or follow up on the 1994 cartoon, the MTV series, and Spectacular Spider-Man if they were so inclined.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I will not rest until Italian Spiderman is given his due

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Spider-Verse is coming to Netflix in June!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mat Cauthon posted:

I don't think this is true anymore. I can think of like, 10 interracial couples on TV right now, in addition to whatever shows up in movies.

Movies are where its rare, especially when it comes to kids/teenagers, and thats because film is so focused on making as much money from a singular feature as possible, while multiple episodes of television can test things more.

TV works as a testing ground to push progressive things more and more before it appears in movies. Popular comic television, for instance, also has two guys kissing, but good luck getting Disney to sign off on that with a major character in the middle of one of their tentpoles.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Darko posted:

Movies are where its rare, especially when it comes to kids/teenagers, and thats because film is so focused on making as much money from a singular feature as possible, while multiple episodes of television can test things more.

TV works as a testing ground to push progressive things more and more before it appears in movies. Popular comic television, for instance, also has two guys kissing, but good luck getting Disney to sign off on that with a major character in the middle of one of their tentpoles.

Yeah it took until Endgame to even have an explicitly gay character in a Marvel movie, and he was a side character who got 10 limes of dialogue and 3 minutes of screentime.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Turn Off The Dark Spiderman :getin:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Zore posted:

Yeah it took until Endgame to even have an explicitly gay character in a Marvel movie, and he was a side character who got 10 limes of dialogue and 3 minutes of screentime.

And was the director of the film

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

21 Muns posted:

Turn Off The Dark Spiderman :getin:

Just a tangled mess of bandages, splints, casts and a poorly-concealed gravity harness.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Timeless Appeal posted:

As a teacher, I have never cried in front of my students.

Then I had some downtime with my students and we watched Into the Spiderverse. Getting to the part where Stan Lee cameos and goes, "I'm going to miss him" and have a bunch of my students yell, "I miss you too Stan!" almost got me there.

It's the last few days for us and testing is over so it's that time when you just need to keep the inmates from running the asylum; this is the only movie I've shown this year and the kids absolutely love it.

The reactions if they haven't seen it are awesome to watch, and they keep begging other teachers to come back to my class to finish the movie. I can't remember ever having had that happen.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Skippy McPants posted:

Kudos to that lady, cause it woulda come off as super forced.

Definitely. Miles is portrayed as pretty young in the movie and in the process of not just becoming Spider-Man but a man as well. Between all the talk of puberty, the Uncle Aaron shoulder/hey stuff and the reaction to the girl from his old school telling him they missed him I definitely got the impression he probably hasn’t even been on a date yet much less having a girlfriend. With Gwen’s backstory saying she has difficulty letting people into her life, having them push them past friends and into a kiss at the end would have been too much.

I do think having the audience think a kiss was possible/likely because that’s how these stories work and then not doing it and keeping them friends-with-interest was awesome though.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Watched this again tonight and it's still so very very good.

Hoping for the live-action 70s Spider-Man for the sequel. Gotta take your shoes off if you wanna crawl up walls, that's just science!

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I always leave a marvel/other big budget flick saying to my wife that with all their millions of dollars and armies of staff, it’s super loving disappointing that we get bland imagery and boring plot lines. They could do literally anything with these superhero movies but their vision is so hemmed in their focus grouping that these fantastical characters just do the same poo poo 14 different ways.

Spiderverse is a revelation to what creativity and having no caps on imagination can do. Every second of it was enthralling and exciting and I was genuinely sad towards the end that it would be over soon, and I couldn’t see more of it.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

meanolmrcloud posted:

I always leave a marvel/other big budget flick saying to my wife that with all their millions of dollars and armies of staff, it’s super loving disappointing that we get bland imagery and boring plot lines. They could do literally anything with these superhero movies but their vision is so hemmed in their focus grouping that these fantastical characters just do the same poo poo 14 different ways.

Spiderverse is a revelation to what creativity and having no caps on imagination can do. Every second of it was enthralling and exciting and I was genuinely sad towards the end that it would be over soon, and I couldn’t see more of it.

Do what I did and watch it again. And again. And again.

I've watched it 10 times since I saw it opening day.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

:same:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

There's two movies I've seen in recent years that have really gotten to me. Where I realized several times while watching them that I had either been grinning like an idiot, or had my eyes as big as teacups because I was so completely enthralled in what I was watching.

The movies were Rogue One (which made me feel like a kid watching my first Star Wars movie again, for the first time since I actually was), and Into the Spider-Verse, which blew me away. What a fantastic movie, and it was the first movie I've bought in ages, because I wanted the best possible 4K HDR picture quality, and all the special features they could throw my way.

Wouldn't have imagined this is where it would end when I was watching dodgy rips of Clone High episodes 17 years ago.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Spider-Verse is now on Netflix.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Open Marriage Night posted:

Spider-Verse is now on Netflix.

I think that's just in the US. In the UK we only just got Homecoming. I think we're gonna have to wait until next Christmas for Spider-Verse if that's any indication.

Edit: Also Lord & Miller co-wrote the latest Spider-Man annual that's Spider-Ham focused. It's real good, check it out. I'm pretty sure one of the characters introduced in it (Spider-Guin - yes, Spider-Gwen as a penguin) is going to show up in a sequel. At least she will if there's any justice in the world.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 29, 2019

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think that's just in the US. In the UK we only just got Homecoming. I think we're gonna have to wait until next Christmas for Spider-Verse if that's any indication.

Edit: Also Lord & Miller co-wrote the latest Spider-Man annual that's Spider-Ham focused. It's real good, check it out. I'm pretty sure one of the characters introduced in it (Spider-Guin - yes, Spider-Gwen as a penguin) is going to show up in a sequel. At least she will if there's any justice in the world.

You’re missing out the best pun.

Meows Morales. :imunfunny:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Prowler struck me as feline themed from the start for some reason.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The_Doctor posted:

That's not even the first funny animal take on Miles. There was Miles Morhames as Ultimate Spider-Ham in another comic.

Which is dumb, because Miles Boarales is much funnier.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yvonmukluk posted:

That's not even the first funny animal take on Miles. There was Miles Morhames as Ultimate Spider-Ham in another comic.

Which is dumb, because Miles Boarales is much funnier.

Buddy you didn’t mention the best part

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Yvonmukluk posted:

[spoiler]That's not even the first funny animal take on Miles. There was Miles Morhames as Ultimate Spider-Ham in another comic.

Yeah, but that one was horrifying.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
If we're going to derail and talk about comics, I'm just going to use this platform to discuss the Ultimate

So let's be clear, the ultimate universe (1610) was a very much a post 9/11 product. It carried a 'Not your papa's' attitude that is nearly as campy as the earnest stuff they were shying away from. Some of them did a decent job of working within those limitations and achieving it's own kind of timeless, like Brian Michael Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man. Some of them definitely didn't. Take the Universe's take on the Avengers, The Ultimates and their take on Captain America. The WWII style righteous hero, defender of the innocent, wasn't as relevant in the era of the Iraq war. So, to reflect the new, Iraq war era of military, some writers played up the American Jingoism of the day. With some, I'm not 100% certain some were being ironic. Point being, the two universe's take on the character was best exemplified in this compairison of panels.

I bring this up to explain the actual best moment from that comic

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
We should also note that Captain Americat and Hulk-Bunny aren't recent characters, they were first introduced in the first Peter Porker comic 36 years ago:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The_Doctor posted:

I would also have accepted Miles Mrowles