Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
What about the vids on the pokemon channel that have the actual primals in them at events?

Edit: so that isn't primal kyogure I'm seeing?
https://youtu.be/sAuHyVPQhjc

For_Great_Justice fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

The Deleter posted:

Yes but I want to never trade and battle with the old Pokemon.

sorry to hear someone was forcing you to do this

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

For_Great_Justice posted:

What about the vids on the pokemon channel that have the actual primals in them at events?

VGC rules change each year, I believe. Sometimes they're allowed, sometimes they aren't.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

2019 and 2016 have been the only years so far where primals have been allowed at VGC, and outside of VGC they're pretty much ubers only.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

But when they are allowed they're the main thing you see and that was my point. Nothing else can get a spot when ppl default to the must hyper tuned pokemon.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

sharrrk posted:

i think dynamaxing is dumb and don't know why they feel the need to keep making new gimmicks every gen. mega evolution was good and they should have just kept going with that

This.

The technical issue is the one they dug themselves though I don't see why its a defense, the entire point is add new stuff to capture.

The meta will fluctuate but once primals and legends are allowed its always the same few. The hoen trio is there every time. Maybe ax a few legendaries an let other stuff on.

They could have kept them out until rebalanced, they could have actually cared about balance until suddenly it is a convenient excuse not have everyone in.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

But when they are allowed they're the main thing you see and that was my point. Nothing else can get a spot when ppl default to the must hyper tuned pokemon.

Ah, sorry I misunderstood what you meant.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Not a problem. Its just more of the confusion with Game Freak. If they patch in a nat dex later great it would just help of they'd say that if that is the plan. None of what they are saying or doing makes sense.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Not a problem. Its just more of the confusion with Game Freak. If they patch in a nat dex later great it would just help of they'd say that if that is the plan. None of what they are saying or doing makes sense.

https://streamable.com/frva6

Look at these top quality animations. A billion dollar franchise deserves this and more. But to achieve these top quality animations, they have to cut down half the mons. It's impossible to do this sort of top quality work for 1000 creatures.

Please Understand

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So, the main thing with the animations is gonna be camping. It'll have a bunch of interactions and it'll look cute. Not gonna be worth it whatsoever, but still how they managed this project lead to those animations and a few (emphasis on few) new attack/encounter animations is what lead to the cuts.

I find it curious/hilarious that they're keeping camping and Gigantamax secret until probably August. They're sticking to their guns on how to dripfeed pokemon news even though they're dropping a neverbeforeseen major bomb. And to counter it they reveal... Wild Area. Lets think about it. Masuda tells us about the pokemon cuts after showing off the Wild Area and a Dynamax Raid. In their mind, Wild Area is such a major #gamechanger new thing that it could overwhelm the negativity they thought the pokemon cuts would get. A small open area that showcases the limits of their engine in regards to weather and geometry, with little to nothing to do beyond what's usual in a route. Maybe there's more to this one route in the game where you can use the 3D camera, but they figured the 20 minutes at E3 they showed was gonna be the hypest thing.

And I can kinda see why. Camping, no matter how involved it ends up, will be looked at like "oh, so it's monamie and refresh's follow up" and gigantamax will be met with "ah, another mega evolution". Wild Area is truly a new concept in Pokemon. Just sucks that it's underwhelming.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 29, 2019

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

Look at these top quality animations. A billion dollar franchise deserves this and more. But to achieve these top quality animations, they have to cut down half the mons. It's impossible to do this sort of top quality work for 1000 creatures.

Please Understand

I don't feel bad for the billion dollar company.

Please understand

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
The beginning of the Hau'oli City music makes me think Delfino Plaza is about to start playing, please stop edging me game

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I can't believe that there will be only 50 available Pokemon in Sword and only 38 in Shield.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

Please Understand

Actually, lets forgive the animations for a minute here. Who cares. Look at the goddamned grass. It's glowing with sunlight in the middle of a complete overcast, gray rainy day. No sunlight to be seen, backgrounds are gray as poo poo and that grass glows like it's made of glowsticks.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

All pokemon will be excluvely released via raids in Pokemon Go and then you can transfer them to Sw/Sh if you have both a Nintendo Online AND a Pokemon Home subscription.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I genuinely don't care if all the pokemon up to this point aren't available in PokeUK. The Pokemon Bank exists to give me a way to choose who ever I want, if I absolutely cannot live without ____. Still, if they want me to play in their space provided I've got no issues doing it.

I don't care about z moves or mega evolutions, either. They're cool, they added a new quirk to combat, but I can live without them.

Not having a national dex, though, is a bridge way too far. I gave em a pass on Sun and Moon because I thought it would come later. It never did. If my only way of checking my progress is the gosh darned pokemon bank, that's just not good enough. Leave the region as is, let players find a way to get their favorites in it, but give me my gosh darned national dex you flipping butts.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

All pokemon will be excluvely released via raids in Pokemon Go and then you can transfer them to Sw/Sh if you have both a Nintendo Online AND a Pokemon Home subscription.

That somehow would be better than what we currently have because Go is adding every generation slowly (Gen 5 coming soon). Yes, even the double dipping on subscriptions. Instead we will be double dipping on subscriptions and only be able to import whatever was on Let's Go.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

I genuinely don't care if all the pokemon up to this point aren't available in PokeUK. The Pokemon Bank exists to give me a way to choose who ever I want, if I absolutely cannot live without ____. Still, if they want me to play in their space provided I've got no issues doing it.

I don't care about z moves or mega evolutions, either. They're cool, they added a new quirk to combat, but I can live without them.

Not having a national dex, though, is a bridge way too far. I gave em a pass on Sun and Moon because I thought it would come later. It never did. If my only way of checking my progress is the gosh darned pokemon bank, that's just not good enough. Leave the region as is, let players find a way to get their favorites in it, but give me my gosh darned national dex you flipping butts.

sounds like you just want a spreadsheet

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

indigi posted:

sounds like you just want a spreadsheet

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Zoran posted:

This is the primary reason Game Freak gave, but by all appearances it's a lie. It may well be that they want to establish a precedent now so that they don’t have to put in all the modeling, texturing, and animation work every time, but for now they’re using a set of models and animations that they had already completed in time for Sun and Moon (which even had unused walk animations for every Pokémon).

The true reason is most likely that they want to switch to a seasonal model with annual releases that offer very different pools of Pokémon as a way to maximize sales. It may very well also be true that it creates a better competitive battling scene when the selection of monsters is more curated, but lol if you trust Game Freak to figure that out

I remember someone doing a comparison on a model of Machoke from the E3 showing to one from the Let's Go games and apparently its more detailed. So apparently they've been redone for some reason rather then just importing the same models form the 3DS versions.

As for the "true reason"... I don't doubt that that's the case, but they've pretty much done this since the beginning with version exclusives. At no point has a single game contained every single monster (mostly to encourage trading with others).

The main intent that Game Freak seems to want to propose is to have Home as a "hub" for people's Pokemon collection and each game on the Switch is an "outing" for a selection of that collection. I'm also beginning to think that they won't make any more 3rd versions or remakes going forward. Just new campaigns.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Shinjobi posted:

I genuinely don't care if all the pokemon up to this point aren't available in PokeUK. The Pokemon Bank exists to give me a way to choose who ever I want, if I absolutely cannot live without ____.

Just to be clear, this is what everyone is complaining about. Not that literally every single pokemon isn't available to catch in the wild, but that you can't even transfer them over from Bank/Home unless they're in the Galar dex.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Zuzie posted:

I remember someone doing a comparison on a model of Machoke from the E3 showing to one from the Let's Go games and apparently its more detailed. So apparently they've been redone for some reason rather then just importing the same models form the 3DS versions.

As for the "true reason"... I don't doubt that that's the case, but they've pretty much done this since the beginning with version exclusives. At no point has a single game contained every single monster (mostly to encourage trading with others).

The main intent that Game Freak seems to want to propose is to have Home as a "hub" for people's Pokemon collection and each game on the Switch is an "outing" for a selection of that collection. I'm also beginning to think that they won't make any more 3rd versions or remakes going forward. Just new campaigns.

So why did we tolerate 6 years of terrible-performing battles using supposedly future-proofed models the 3DS couldn't really handle if they're just going to update them again anyway?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Because even reused assets need to be modified for the engine they're running in and because 3DS quality textures and models would get them accused of laziness more than they already are

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Actually, lets forgive the animations for a minute here. Who cares. Look at the goddamned grass. It's glowing with sunlight in the middle of a complete overcast, gray rainy day. No sunlight to be seen, backgrounds are gray as poo poo and that grass glows like it's made of glowsticks.

The grass needs to be bright and distinct to best illustrate that it's a place where encounters happen and to also make it clear when you're about to receive an encounter from a Pokemon hiding in it, so you can see the direction it's approaching from as a shadow. Making it dark with the overcast shading would defeat both those purposes and make an approaching Pokemon's movement hard to see.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

In their mind, Wild Area is such a major #gamechanger new thing that it could overwhelm the negativity they thought the pokemon cuts would get. A small open area that showcases the limits of their engine in regards to weather and geometry, with little to nothing to do beyond what's usual in a route. Maybe there's more to this one route in the game where you can use the 3D camera, but they figured the 20 minutes at E3 they showed was gonna be the hypest thing.

Oh god, now I remembered this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xau6kcxyOLs

The very first video ever revealed of BW. Look at the absurdity of these people being super excited for this never before seen technology of rotating slightly the camera in 2010. Look at them going "wooo you can see a tiny background of buildings in the battle screen! This is amazing!" while holding the most pixelated butt this world has ever seen.

When this is the sort of thing they would think is mind-blowing to the rest of the world, of course that open area footage of SwSh should have been a Big Deal™️.

Except it's in the system that has Xenoblade 2, Doom, BotW, and now even the Witcher 3. It's like those in charge of GameFreak live in this tiny bubble, far away from everything happening elsewhere.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I hate that I’m a fuckin slave to this franchise and will be buying this day 1 at midnight

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

The grass needs to be bright and distinct to best illustrate that it's a place where encounters happen and to also make it clear when you're about to receive an encounter from a Pokemon hiding in it, so you can see the direction it's approaching from as a shadow. Making it dark with the overcast shading would defeat both those purposes and make an approaching Pokemon's movement hard to see.

Then why do other patches of grass, once they reach a certain distance, just get the same grayness as the rest of the world?
And even if you're right, that's a dumb choice; rain making it hard to see approaching pokemon is a sensible and immersive mechanic.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Then why do other patches of grass, once they reach a certain distance, just get the same grayness as the rest of the world?
And even if you're right, that's a dumb choice; rain making it hard to see approaching pokemon is a sensible and immersive mechanic.

The other patches change because they are too far away to be relevant and thus are not important to render as highly visible. At the very least, what you described proves that it's deliberate, because it shows an active change based on the player's proximity.

The rain's only function is to influence/change encounter tables; immersion is secondary. This is ultimately a subjective matter, though, and I won't tell you you're wrong for preferring that they do it that way.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

We don't really know how many resources they are reusing, many of the models might be fine until they get blown up to Dynamax size for instance. I'd be more concerned about the texture work, they might have done that without HD resolutions in mind since I doubt they would have anticipated that Nintendo's next handheld would increase in resolution by that much back in the XY days.
which begs the question of who thought this was a good idea in the first place

ROFL Octopus posted:

I hate that I’m a fuckin slave to this franchise and will be buying this day 1 at midnight
it's true, they have achieved what John Romero never could. we are nothing more than their bitches :negative:

also, re: wild area discussion
it's still really loving funny to me that they went "this ONE area will have a fully controllable camera," in 2019. I know they've never had freecam, but honestly, this was a big deal when super mario 64 came out.
as for the trees being low poly and the grass lighting being weird, we've seen from past E3s that nintendo tends to do graphical polish last. I know gamefreak is a distinct entity from nintendo, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt here.
but also I didn't even notice the graphical quality during the livestream, so I don't entirely care if it's not the best

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's not like Breath of the Wild or Xenoblade are perfect in that field either. There's a lot of pop in in BoTW and I've seen a lot of tree textures eerily similar to the one people keep harping on.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Blaziken386 posted:

but also I didn't even notice the graphical quality during the livestream, so I don't entirely care if it's not the best

I thought S/M looked so good that I wouldn't have been at all disappointed if they just straight up reused those graphics. maybe take another pass at some human faces. but for a Pokemon game you're not really expecting phenomenal envelope-pushing graphics anyway

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Nodosaur posted:

It's not like Breath of the Wild or Xenoblade are perfect in that field either. There's a lot of pop in in BoTW and I've seen a lot of tree textures eerily similar to the one people keep harping on.
TBH the only time I really notice graphical fuckups in BotW is when you're going through Vah... Ruta? I think? (the elephant) Because it chose to have the dungeon within eyesight of the Zora city, and wow it is noticeable even if you don't pull up the sheikah slate binoculars

otherwise? not really a problem

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

TBH the only time I really notice graphical fuckups in BotW is when you're going through Vah... Ruta? I think? (the elephant) Because it chose to have the dungeon within eyesight of the Zora city, and wow it is noticeable even if you don't pull up the sheikah slate binoculars

otherwise? not really a problem

It's because pop up and draw distance weirdness isn't really a thing people notice most of the time, and because the whole package does a good job of distracting you from it. But prior to release? There were all kinds of screenshots taken from low quality streams used to demonstrate how poor the game looked and how shoddily made it looked that people constantly scrutinized the hell out of.

Sound familiar?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Blaziken386 posted:

Vew few people did. I remember little to no complaints during the initial reveal either. But once the National Dex controversy occured, people started picking the hell out of every frame they could find so they could further justify their anger. That's why anytime someone says "They got rid of Stantler for this?!" you can be guaranteed they are about to show you Wingull, Scorbunny, or the Tree.

Hell this campaign has been so effective that I started to believe it myself- I don't care even a little bit about graphics, I play Pokemon for the battles and the world/characters, but I started to believe that the game was graphically disappointing. Then the Serebii guy pointed out on Twitter that Pokemon have really nice new intro animations and they look drat good compared to Sun/Moon. Maybe it's not enough for people and that's fine, but IMO the game already looks great and if the leap between Luigi's Mansion Reveal -> E3 Direct is any indication, it's gonna look even better by release. Can't wait to camp with my buddies on the Switch.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Vew few people did. I remember little to no complaints during the initial reveal either. But once the National Dex controversy occured, people started picking the hell out of every frame they could find so they could further justify their anger. That's why anytime someone says "They got rid of Stantler for this?!" you can be guaranteed they are about to show you Wingull, Scorbunny, or the Tree.

That was because one of the explanations for cutting down in the number of pokemon allowed was to better the graphics, and so far that has been definitely not the case.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I'm at Sunyshore City in the anime, and I have two more stock plots for my list:

• Team Rocket has a scheme involving literal rockets.
  • A recurring character (e.g., a Gym Leader) teaches at a trainers' school and impresses the main characters with their teaching, while Team Rocket tries to steal all the school's Pokemon.

The show has actually been a bit underwhelming lately; the "important" episodes (especially the Daybreak Town Contest) have been good, but some of the "filler" episodes in between were somewhat tedious. Still better than Johto levels, but the lack of an Orange Islands/Battle Frontier equivalent is starting to show.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

qnqnx posted:

That was because one of the explanations for cutting down in the number of pokemon allowed was to better the graphics*, and so far that has been definitely not the case.

quote:

"Junichi Masuda reaffirms that the sheer volume of high quality animations and desire to balance further resulted in the decision to block transfer of some Pokémon"

But of course, people zeroed in on stuff to prove him wrong, while selectively ignoring a large amount of other things. Yeah, Double Kick doesn't exactly look inspiring, but it's not exactly a move whose impact is worth the attention. Other moves that HAVE been changed have gone uncommented upon, as does the fact that there's improvements in character animation in cutscenes and various other areas.

This, for instance, is what Megahorn[?] looks like now. Prior to this game, Corviknight would not be closing the gap himself, he would have turned into a green blur and vanished, like so:

There's also more advanced particle and lighting effects going on, as far as Pokemon having more unique introduction animations (which began in Let's Go and continues here).

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 30, 2019

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I hope there is not a person around who would sacrifice more pokemon for more particle effects

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, that's only one part of what I said, but sure, let's treat that like it's the whole of what I was going on about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Bleck posted:

I hope there is not a person around who would sacrifice more pokemon for more particle effects

These people are hosed up.