Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fact checking doesn't get clicks on a page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Not that actual bear attacks aren't plenty unnerving.

There's some netflix movie about a bear attack took place in a park in Ontario I've camped at and not until the loving credits did it say "BASED ON REAL EVENTS." I like my bear maulings fictional thank you very much netflix.

e: obligatory https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3qhEIZBlX8

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

Fact checking doesn't get clicks on a page.

Well, unless you're snopes

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Scathach posted:

E Also if any of y'all have someone showing sudden dementia symptoms, HAVE THEM CHECKED FOR DEPRESSION. I can't state that loud enough. Sudden symptoms (like over a series of months rather than years) are often from a treatable source-- a mental illness, an infection, depression, etc. It's also worth noting that there are people with Alzheimer's lesions and all the other markers that should be affecting their cognition and causing dementia, but they show absolutely zero symptoms till death. Dementia is really loving weird.
Adding to this - don't overlook other neurological causes here either. My grandpa went downhill fast a few months after my grandma died - forgetting things, stumbling around, getting lost, being generally unable to take care of himself. We thought it was depression, then wondered about Alzheimer's. My dad finally took him to a neurologist and they found a ginormous hematoma in his brain. This thing was the size of a large potato, I've seen the MRIs.

They removed it and he was sitting up, talking, and generally himself again within a day. He did have permanent brain damage, e.g. he never perceived the left side of his vision again and would just walk into things that were on his left, but personality-wise he was mostly back to normal. He was with us for another 15 years.

MongolArcher posted:

First get tested for a urinary tract infection. No poo poo, when I was working in the nursing home or on the ems team, if a usually pleasant little old lady suddenly turned into an angry chupacabra, it was a UTI. Antibiotics and fluids for a couple of days and they were back to playing bingo
Seconding this, my maternal grandma would hallucinate when she got a UTI. Doctors told my mom it was pretty common for elderly ladies to have mental side effects from them.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
When my grandmother with Alzheimers got a UTI, she had to be put in restraints. Kept ripping out all the wires she was hooked up to and viciously kicking and biting at anyone who came near her.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My grandma had forgotten everyone around her and kept mistaking me for my grandfather before even that slipped away. The worst I've ever felt, my whole life, was the first time she called me Petrino (my ganddad's name), I said, "Nana, Nano passed away 15 years ago." She looked so hurt and confused that I never corrected her again. She made it to 92 before she died real early on Xmas morning, which was her favorite holiday. We had a huge family Christmas party as her wake.

I hope we find a cure for dementia and Alzheimer's at some point because seeing what it did to my dad when his mom couldn't remember him was a tough one to get through.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006
I'm absolutely terrified of dementia. So much so that I've let my entire family know that if I receive a diagnosis of anything that will lead to it, or anything else incurable, I'm checking out on the hollow point express. It wasn't until they watched what Alzheimer's did to my wife's grandmother that they became okay with it.

A few of my family has gone as far as to imply that other members of the family have agreed to kill them should they be unable to do it themselves. Which leads me to a question for the thread.

Would you mercy kill a suffering family member?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nope. Even if they asked me and I wanted to, I just don't think I could kill someone I loved. Tank of nitrogen and a mask is what my dad told me he wants if he ever gets dementia, but he can take care of that himself.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jeremy_X posted:

I'm absolutely terrified of dementia. So much so that I've let my entire family know that if I receive a diagnosis of anything that will lead to it, or anything else incurable, I'm checking out on the hollow point express. It wasn't until they watched what Alzheimer's did to my wife's grandmother that they became okay with it.

A few of my family has gone as far as to imply that other members of the family have agreed to kill them should they be unable to do it themselves. Which leads me to a question for the thread.

I assisted with my grandmother's death through Oregon's Death with Dignity act. ama.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Jeremy_X posted:

Which leads me to a question for the thread.

would you be a tough enough dude to do the hardcore thing? let's jerk off about how tough but hard decisions are in this stupid hypothetical, after these commercials

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I hope I could be that strong, but fear that I could not.

guestimate
Nov 10, 2011

Jeremy_X posted:

Absolutely. Or myself. Note: I've been around a fuckton of suffering old people.

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Pyrotoad posted:

When my grandmother with Alzheimers got a UTI, she had to be put in restraints. Kept ripping out all the wires she was hooked up to and viciously kicking and biting at anyone who came near her.

You don’t even have to be an elderly person with dementia to get this.

I went through a spate of chronic UTIs and kidney infections after a bad case of kidney inflammation a few years ago. I could feel the psychological changes happening but was powerless to do anything about them. I’d overreact to tiny things, experience insane suicidal mood swings, and if I wasn’t able to get antibiotics in time, I’d start to experience flashes of what felt like dementia. I’d walk past my own house, get lost in my hometown, forget words, etc. Every single time, I’d forget that it was the bladder/kidney poo poo that caused these symptoms until someone reminded me. It was terrifying. I felt like I was losing my grip on my personality and my mental faculties. My journals from that time are a loving trip.

Even now, if I feel suicidal out of nowhere–and I do mean out of nowhere, it’s like a light switch flicking on–or I start to get moody and irrational, I’ll check for other UTI symptoms in a couple days. I seem to get the mental stuff first, before my body even realises there’s an infection.

For those of you who experience PMS, it feels exactly like that. That sort of irrational hair-trigger emotional/angry response to stuff that you know you shouldn’t be reacting this strongly to… only ratchet it up by about 5x. I’m amazed I never ended up fired or divorced because of how I acted during those infections.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Thank you. Assuming you aren’t my wife putting clues together after 20 years of this poo poo, you’ve saved something in between a marriage and a life.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Pick posted:

I assisted with my grandmother's death through Oregon's Death with Dignity act. ama.

I would like to hear some more about this as I am very pro on the able to choose issue.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

guestimate posted:

Note: I've been around a fuckton of suffering old people.

This is probably the important thing. A lot of people will only interact with a small number of elderly people in their lives: their parents and grandparents. And if you're lucky (like I was with both sets of grandparents), they'll all pass still relatively mentally intact. So you never get a picture of the full horror that is dementia.

I've worked in healthcare the last few years and the opinion of every colleague that I've asked is that they were going to off themselves the moment their mind started going.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Jeremy_X posted:

I did not, and I regret not doing it. That last week was pure loving misery, and I should have done that for them.

Cancer's a bitch.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Anomalous Blowout posted:

You don’t even have to be an elderly person with dementia to get this.

I went through a spate of chronic UTIs and kidney infections after a bad case of kidney inflammation a few years ago. I could feel the psychological changes happening but was powerless to do anything about them. I’d overreact to tiny things, experience insane suicidal mood swings, and if I wasn’t able to get antibiotics in time, I’d start to experience flashes of what felt like dementia. I’d walk past my own house, get lost in my hometown, forget words, etc. Every single time, I’d forget that it was the bladder/kidney poo poo that caused these symptoms until someone reminded me. It was terrifying. I felt like I was losing my grip on my personality and my mental faculties. My journals from that time are a loving trip.

Even now, if I feel suicidal out of nowhere–and I do mean out of nowhere, it’s like a light switch flicking on–or I start to get moody and irrational, I’ll check for other UTI symptoms in a couple days. I seem to get the mental stuff first, before my body even realises there’s an infection.

For those of you who experience PMS, it feels exactly like that. That sort of irrational hair-trigger emotional/angry response to stuff that you know you shouldn’t be reacting this strongly to… only ratchet it up by about 5x. I’m amazed I never ended up fired or divorced because of how I acted during those infections.

I’ve had UTIs chronically since I was a child, and while as of late I’ve been near a year free (yay), even as a kid I went from a shy bookworm to bonkers angry. I learned to manage my downstairs disaster (thanks genes!) as I got older but being a kid and not being able to fully articulate outside of “it hurts when I pee and I want to scream and throw my game boy color” loving sucks. Thankful to my mom for knowing immediately to take my rear end to the doctor.

And yes, they’re like a thousand times worse than PMS and make you loving insane.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Huh. I never knew that these were so common, or that they affected personality so much.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
a vagina will get a uti if you look at it funny

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

My grandma passed away last month at almost 90 and she was whip smart and aware until about the last week. She started asking about people she would see in the doorways in the house that weren't there. She became frantically insistent that there was a man in the house just, hanging out. She said she wasn't sure who it was. Shortly after, she could no longer eat or drink. The hospice people got her a medical bed and she was in good spirits but still curious about the people "causin' a ruckus like a big ol' party" in her dining room (no one was there). About a day later she went to sleep and 8 or so hours later she died, smiling about something. Who fuckin knows.

The most unnerving part is, as you get older, you lose more and more people who made you who you are. I miss her so much.

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013

Untrustable posted:

The most unnerving part is, as you get older, you lose more and more people who made you who you are. I miss her so much.

Sympathies, good person.

And thank you for articulating this. I've just lost my last surviving brother, now it's just me, all alone, of the entire family, left, and I've been FEELING this but didn't quite know how to SAY it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hey, guys, there is a dementia thread, and it's gathering cobwebs. Drop on in?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

pookel posted:

Seconding this, my maternal grandma would hallucinate when she got a UTI. Doctors told my mom it was pretty common for elderly ladies to have mental side effects from them.

Yeah, this happened to my grandma a few times, and it was always when she had an UTI go into sepsis.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

When I was in high school and my first year of college, a friend's grandmother with Alzheimer's was living with them. She was mostly OK to walk around and take care of herself; she knew the family but remembered them 10-15 years prior. She had a memory span of a few minutes, so she could manage to get up and get something to eat or drink, go to the bathroom and clean herself up, generally go about life functionally. Then she made a sharp term for the worse. Her short term memory was enough that she could stand up and take a few steps before forgetting why she stood up, so she would wander the house at all hours. One day, and now I'm wondering if this was a dementia plus UTI thing that everyone has mentioned, she got aggressive but they were able to calm her down and get her into bed for the night. A couple of hours later, my friend was awakened by a loud bang on his door, then another, then another, and he called his parents in the other room (this was back in 2003-2004, but his family got cell phones to keep in touch because of grandma's condition). She had wandered to the kitchen, taken the butcher's knife from the knife block, and was stabbing my friend's door, which spurred a bunch of jokes about The Shining as he recapped the story. She was put in assisted living care and died a couple of months later.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Untrustable posted:

My grandma passed away last month at almost 90 and she was whip smart and aware until about the last week. She started asking about people she would see in the doorways in the house that weren't there. She became frantically insistent that there was a man in the house just, hanging out. She said she wasn't sure who it was. Shortly after, she could no longer eat or drink. The hospice people got her a medical bed and she was in good spirits but still curious about the people "causin' a ruckus like a big ol' party" in her dining room (no one was there). About a day later she went to sleep and 8 or so hours later she died, smiling about something. Who fuckin knows.

that wasn't dementia, her soul touched the other side a week early and gave her Deadsight

guestimate
Nov 10, 2011

Khizan posted:

I did not, and I regret not doing it. That last week was pure loving misery, and I should have done that for them.

Cancer's a bitch.

It's ok
It was only a week and if you didn't at the time then YOU weren't ready or you didn't know enough or something.
This is one thing you absolutely should forgive yourself for.
If it comes up again maybe you will do something differently, but also who knows? Situations and people differ.
It's a big decision. I didn't do it for my grandmother who was suffering but I was much younger, my mom was around---frankly it didn't really occur to me.
Forgive yourself rn.❤

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Hey, guys, there is a dementia thread, and it's gathering cobwebs. Drop on in?

Should probably make sure it has a DNR then.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

InediblePenguin posted:

would you be a tough enough dude to do the hardcore thing? let's jerk off about how tough but hard decisions are in this stupid hypothetical, after these commercials

Do you have any settings beside "angry and pedantic?"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jeremy_X posted:

If it was what they wanted? Yes. There really needs to be better euthanasia laws. Modern medicine can keep people alive for thoroughly absurd amounts of time with a downright wretched quality of life. If they're still up, walking, and doing things then sure leave them be but if they're bed ridden, can't recognize their own children, are in constant pain, and need heavy duty life support just to breathe then their life is basically already over. In that situation if they put in writing "I don't want to live like that, pull the plug" then it's time to hold their hand and pull the plug.

Granted my opinion on the matter is that I absolutely do not want to live like that. If I'm ever in that situation then pull the plug. At that point it's time to go. We can't live for ever and aren't meant to.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

teen witch posted:

I’ve had UTIs chronically since I was a child, and while as of late I’ve been near a year free (yay), even as a kid I went from a shy bookworm to bonkers angry. I learned to manage my downstairs disaster (thanks genes!) as I got older but being a kid and not being able to fully articulate outside of “it hurts when I pee and I want to scream and throw my game boy color” loving sucks. Thankful to my mom for knowing immediately to take my rear end to the doctor.

And yes, they’re like a thousand times worse than PMS and make you loving insane.

At the risk of asking a dumb question, is it just the pain from the UTI that made you feel so aggressive? Or is it something that else?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

RNG posted:

Do you have any settings beside "angry and pedantic?"

not while on the internet, no, for what content does this hell contain to elicit any other response?

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Not that actual bear attacks aren't plenty unnerving.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sankebetsu_brown_bear_incident

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Jeremy_X posted:

I couldn't. I was there at the time my aunt/godmother was in so much pain and respiratory distress that she'd had enough. She asked for help in dying from us, and I just couldn't. Someone did help her, and she passed away quietly. I'm okay with her decision, but I could never be the one to do it.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

a mysterious cloak posted:

I couldn't. I was there at the time my aunt/godmother was in so much pain and respiratory distress that she'd had enough. She asked for help in dying from us, and I just couldn't. Someone did help her, and she passed away quietly. I'm okay with her decision, but I could never be the one to do it.

What was it that made you unable to do it?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief posted:

I can't imagine why someone wouldn't want to kill their own aunt.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief posted:

What the gently caress dude?

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Gaius Marius posted:

I can't imagine why someone wouldn't want to kill their own aunt.

Would that same someone want to watch her aunt continue to deteriorate and suffer and beg for mercy? This isn’t cake or death, it’s death or another kind of death.

I think the question was reasonable given the topic of conversation.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Samovar posted:

At the risk of asking a dumb question, is it just the pain from the UTI that made you feel so aggressive? Or is it something that else?

As a kid it was the pain and the confusion as to what the hell was going on why is my body doing this.

As an adult it’s like PMS’s bitchy cousin, and falling into the cycle of feel like I gotta pee all the time -> can’t pee at all because it hurts to pee -> still gotta pee anyway, pain or not. It’s a brain body disconnect that I think does my head in, like my brain knows “can’t pee, hurts to pee, there is no liquid in my body to pre” and my body is slamming down on that “PISS” button uncontrollably. It is incredibly physically exhausting, and I’m so glad I haven’t had one since my abortion, weirdly enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
My dad died back in November with lung/ spread everywhere else cancer and the hospital’s strategy was to absolutely blast him with dilaudid and take him off ventilation. It took about 6 hours after the breathing mask came off. There’s obviously no way for me to know what if anything he experienced in those 6 hours, and I’ll be grateful to the hospice floor nurses for the rest of my life, but it was still relatively barbaric and if someone had put a .38 in my hand I would have done the job regardless of the personal consequences. Hopefully the overlords will throw us the bone of sane euthanasia laws soon