Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Punk da Bundo posted:

there isn’t one candidate with good views on Israel , Israel should be treated and regarded like apartheid South Africa . It’s a shame, really , that people are so afraid to stand up for what is right .

It's true that none of their views are particularly good, but Bernie's are by far the least-bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ogmius815 posted:

Guys Marianne Williamson is not going to be the democratic nominee.

:toxx:If Marianne Williamson is the democratic nominee, I will get a tattoo of VitalSign’s choice on a part of my body ordinarily covered by clothing. :toxx:

Very brave, I don't think I'd bet on even a negative probability event with a genital tat on the line.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Gyges posted:

Very brave, I don't think I'd bet on even a negative probability event with a genital tat on the line.

You just know it's gonna be Porky Pop the Piggy Cop on the right asscheek.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

TulliusCicero posted:

I actually 100% agree with you on this. Israel is a fascist apartheid state, and it should be called out for exactly what it is

saying that as a candidate would almost certainly be political suicide, but it would be nice if Gravel could get up on stage and point out EVERYBODY’S bad Israel policies (including Bernie)

Majorian posted:

It's true that none of their views are particularly good, but Bernie's are by far the least-bad.

we’ve been settling for least bad for so long that this can is about to explode from rust .

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Gyges posted:

Yeah I’m quaking in my boots.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Punk da Bundo posted:

we’ve been settling for least bad for so long

No we haven't dude, come on. You know better than that. We've been settling for "exactly as bad as the Republicans" for a long time.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

No we haven't dude, come on. You know better than that. We've been settling for "exactly as bad as the Republicans" for a long time.

That seems to be “least bad” as far as Israel goes , that both parties have the same level of fervent defense of Israel . Bernie is the only one who’s a serious candidate calling them out. The other candidates went to AIPAC and had some pretty gross opinions about the whole thing

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Judakel posted:

Citation needed. "We are doing fine in this country jobs wise" *takes 20th job*

Have you met a republican? Because that's basically it, yes.

TulliusCicero posted:

I actually 100% agree with you on this. Israel is a fascist apartheid state, and it should be called out for exactly what it is

Cue the 400 op eds about how :actually: israel's policies and the way that its current political leadership rose to power don't run ~completely~ parallel with the conditions in 1930s italy and or germany, therefore,

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ogmius815 posted:

:toxx:If Marianne Williamson is the democratic nominee, I will get a tattoo of VitalSign’s choice on a part of my body ordinarily covered by clothing. :toxx:

lmao

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Punk da Bundo posted:

That seems to be “least bad” as far as Israel goes , that both parties have the same level of fervent defense of Israel .

And yet now we have someone who genuinely is better on Israel than pretty much any major candidate we've had since 1948. That's something to get excited about.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ogmius815 posted:

holy rofl

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
and to think some of you doubt the power of orb

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Z. Autobahn posted:

the "Warren is a fascist and if you back her you're worse than Trump" moron brigade

Find me these people

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Majorian posted:

And yet now we have someone who genuinely is better on Israel than pretty much any major candidate we've had since 1948. That's something to get excited about.

I actually expect that if Bernie becomes the nominee they will try to find a way to say he is anti-semitic somehow

AIPAC and Israel and the Shapiro-Adelson Evangelicals posing as Jews will find a way

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 29, 2019

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Gyges posted:

What is a negative probability event

Ogmius815 posted:

Do I get to choose the body part as well as the tattoo

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Marxalot posted:

Have you met a republican? Because that's basically it, yes.

Cue the 400 op eds about how :actually: israel's policies and the way that its current political leadership rose to power don't run ~completely~ parallel with the conditions in 1930s italy and or germany, therefore,

Oh, yes, Republicans are the ones we're trying to win here. Good lord.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Marianne men have arrived

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Nonsense posted:

Actually, we call ourselves orbsons.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Williamson seems like Trump in that Republicans wishing her to win may come to regret it later. Not that I have any strong opinions on her one way or another; I'd rather have someone with Warren's or Bernie's bonafides.

Majorian posted:

1948 seems like a strange year to pick; especially as Israel didn't actually have much if any support from the US during the war of independence and in fact had actually more support from the USSR at the time. I'd pick 1967 or so as when US Israeli policy begins to get one sided in a US-USSR Cold War geopolitical dichotomy.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Majorian posted:

false, if only because McGovern was too good for this damned nation.

Willa Rogers posted:

yah, this.

The current tax code is so loaded with ways for people to hide their money--family foundations, family trusts, LLCs, offshore accounts, holding companies--that there's no way for the government to accurately assess and tax people's net worth.

I see where your'e all coming from, but "It's too hard to tax the rich" seems like a really weak critique in comparing Sanders' tax policy to Warren's, especially since you'd run into similar problems enforcing his heightened estate tax. Regardless of who's elected, there's going to need to be major revisions of the tax code and major reinvestment into the IRS.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ogmius815 posted:

viletat lives once more

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Actually, we call ourselves orbsons.
Can't we find a more inclusive term?

Crystal folk.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Tibalt posted:

Can't we find a more inclusive term?

Crystal folk.

People of Orb.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nonsense posted:

Please they’re “Marianettes” disparagingly and Marianne’s Angels lovingly.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Find me these people

Pretty sure Judakel, Phi, and Punk da Bundo would all agree with that statement?

edit: okay maybe they'd leave it as 'as bad as supporting Trump', not worse

Z. Autobahn fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 30, 2019

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Z. Autobahn posted:

Pretty sure Judakel, Phi, and Punk da Bundo would all agree with that statement?

No I don't agree she's a fascist or just as bad as trump

She's a SOCIAL fascist, big difference

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

1948 seems like a strange year to pick; especially as Israel didn't actually have much if any support from the US during the war of independence and in fact had actually more support from the USSR at the time. I'd pick 1967 or so as when US Israeli policy begins to get one sided in a US-USSR Cold War geopolitical dichotomy.

Pedant.:jerkbag:

I genuinely did not know this about McGovern. Good for him!

TulliusCicero posted:

I actually expect that if Bernie becomes the nominee they will try to find a way to say he is anti-semitic somehow

AIPAC and Israel and the Shapiro-Adelson Evangelicals posing as Jews will find a way

Oh don't worry, Shapiro's already found a way: call them fake Jews. (which he does to anyone to the left of Bibi, regularly)

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Majorian posted:

Pedant.:jerkbag:

Oh don't worry, Shapiro's already found a way: call them fake Jews. (which he does to anyone to the left of Bibi, regularly)

Lol at evangelical Shapiro questioning anyone's "jewishness"

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Z. Autobahn posted:

Also anyone who supports capitalism is morally equivalent to anyone who supports Trump. Trump supporters believe everything that you do, they're just more open and honest about it

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

Lol at evangelical Shapiro questioning anyone's "jewishness"

Isn't he an Orthodox Jew? I'm pretty sure he's observant, he's just so Zionist that all of his friends are extreme Evangelicals.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Phi230 posted:

She's a SOCIAL fascist, big difference

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Majorian posted:

McGovern was probably out of his depth going against Nixon but from everything I've read about him he was a genuinely good man who didn't deserve what happened to him. You know what he was doing while Nixon was playing poker and pushing supplies in the South Pacific? Flying B-24s over Europe to the tune of 35 missions. Dude won the Distinguished Flying Cross for saving his bomber and his crew by making an emergency landing on a runway that should have been too short for his plane. Good pilot, good person, not even a bad politician, just too decent of a human being to run against a crooked monster like Nixon.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

I rest my case.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Z. Autobahn posted:

i mean , as so far as Warren is very enthusiastic about capitalism and wants to tweak it instead of admitting the whole thing is a sham and will lead to the United States undoing .

She’s not “worse” than Trump . she’s just effectively the same. All we have is Bernie . Not Marianne , not Kamala, Booker or Gillibrand.

Warren laughed at Bernie’s speech about economics .

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
A Trump/Williamson debate would be the defining cultural moment of my lifetime that won't be directly related to environmental collapse.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Wilbur Swain posted:

A Trump/Williamson debate would be the defining cultural moment of my lifetime that won't be directly related to environmental collapse.

He would hit on her and it would be monumentally uncomfortable

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Yeah I wonder why Bernie stans in this thread feel so threatened by Clinton, Warren, Harris and Williamson and their supporters? What do those politicians all have in common?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Z. Autobahn posted:

I rest my case.

I mean I wouldn't expect a bougie lib like you to understand, all you want is for a politician to dangle keys in front of you eyes, like a dog

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Anybody who thinks warren is acceptable is a privileged moron who desires comfort rather than justice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Z. Autobahn posted:

I'm gonna chime in real quick and say that no, it is very much those 3-4 extremely obnoxious posters that make this thread basically unbearable and drove most of us away. Like, you're right that folks like you and Marjoran and even VS, while we disagree, are actually engaging and interesting to talk to and I feel like I often learn something or have a worthwhile conversation. But the "Warren is a fascist and if you back her you're worse than Trump" moron brigade is *really* loving annoying and they post constantly and make this thread unbearable.

I appreciate the punctuality with which you 3 proved my point

Phi230 posted:

I mean I wouldn't expect a bougie lib like you to understand, all you want is for a politician to dangle keys in front of you eyes, like a dog

Like if you have even the slightest interest in a primary thread with actual differing opinions and meaningful debate, this poo poo should be probable without a moment's hesitation