Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Krispy Wafer posted:

Banks use the P tubes for the drive thru windows and that’s not going away until we figure out this whole teleportation trick.

My bank got rid of them in favor of something they call an ITM that I still haven't used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The credit union I’m using for an estate account has those. Tellers are in a back room and communicate via a video feed. The bank manager tried to tell me how much safer it all was, but being a teller isn’t that risky and that still leaves all of the consumer bankers and the customers exposed in the lobby. So a regular robbery instead becomes a hostage situation.

It also means you have to load up those drive thru teller windows like an ATM, which is adding another level of complexity and risk. P tubes are old and probably getting difficult to service, but they almost never break as long as dumbass customers don’t put loose change in them. :shrug:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I was pretty sad when the Costco's got rid of those. It was always retrocool watching someone spirit away huge wads of cash in them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I bought a coffee maker with a 500€ bill at Wiklund and they used a tube to get me enough change

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

One of the hospitals here has several color coded tube circuits that cover the entire campus. I'm not entirely sure what the different circuits are for, but I got the impression at least one of them was not to be touched unless you were in some select elite group. Emergency/priority shipments?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Seems like a good time to post this:
http://imgur.com/gallery/ZfDEe

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Also, I feel there should be a lot of stories about bored office workers sending inappropriate things through these tubes.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

What's that screenshot from?

Edit: ... is that from Lost?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I used traveller's checks in the '70s, when they were the way to go. You never, ever tried to cash them in a store, at least not if you were savvy. You took them to a bank.

We used them in Army Basic Training in the early 80s. Pay was still being done directly if you didn't have a bank account, and you weren't allowed to have more than $20 in cash at one time.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

mehall posted:

There's few places here that use them any more, which is a shame since we invented them, but just looking at those images I can *hear* the sound.
Same!

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Computer viking posted:

What's that screenshot from?

Edit: ... is that from Lost?

Yup.

I can't tell you the significance of it because it was from the last season I watched.

E: I gave up when I realised they probably weren't going to explain the magic smoke.

Shut up Meg has a new favorite as of 22:16 on Jun 29, 2019

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I used travellers checks when I went to Japan in 2007, but no one knew how the hell to cash them and my mom just shoved them in my hands and told me to use them like a check, so they basically just collected dust the entire time because I just used an ATM at the airport

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

FilthyImp posted:

I was pretty sad when the Costco's got rid of those. It was always retrocool watching someone spirit away huge wads of cash in them.

Costco Mexico still uses them, funnily enough.

I've also seen them in a few Sorianas (supermarket chain) for the same purposes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Siselmo posted:

Costco Mexico still uses them, funnily enough.

I've also seen them in a few Sorianas (supermarket chain) for the same purposes.

Isn't there big distrust of banks in Mexico and therefore a lot of mattresses stuffed with bills? That would make it more likely for the Mexican Costcos to need to handle large amounts of cash.

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

Arivia posted:

Isn't there big distrust of banks in Mexico and therefore a lot of mattresses stuffed with bills? That would make it more likely for the Mexican Costcos to need to handle large amounts of cash.

You bet there is! It's not that uncommon to hear about people keeping their savings in cash, or immediately withdrawing their money from their payroll accounts for that reason. Plus, our bank fees suck rear end. It's a mix of both banks being dicks and people not being very financially literate (and poverty).

That's also the reason why mobile/online banking is *just now* starting to become a thing.

Also, we have an institution known as the Buró de Crédito which basically keeps a record of people's credit history and banks use that to determine if a future credit will be given or not. So, for example, you wanna buy furniture with your credit card, but you have a bad history of previous credit payments, then no credit for you.

We also have a huge pawning/cash loan industry because of all this.

Siselmo has a new favorite as of 05:23 on Jun 30, 2019

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I haven't had a bank account for a while due to poverty reasons, and the last couple pages are like reading what the future is going to be like when I can finally have one again

it's probably the most antiquated sector of my life, that I take payroll checks to either the bank that issues them or the grocery store, and get cash that I then budget using a series of envelopes and a 'walkin around money' drawer. Buying stuff online usually just means exchanging cash to a friend with a debit card, and I pay bills either in person or using a friend's card. If someone needs to get funds to me personally, it's gotta be Western Union or a face-to-face visit

I also pay rent by money order, driving across town to the rental office to put it in a lil metal box- but where I live, rent has only verrrry recently been something you can pay online with most management companies, and the only reason a lot of people would still use the one free checkbook most banks would give you. It's wild, though, the first people I ever rented from, like in 2003, would take PayPal- and then it was just checks until my management company rolled out their online pay system in 2018

lookin forward to joining the rest of you in the 90s, once I pay off some debts that make having a checking account more expensive than eating money order fees and the like

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Shut up Meg posted:

Yup.

I can't tell you the significance of it because it was from the last season I watched.

E: I gave up when I realised they probably weren't going to explain the magic smoke.

They do. Its a terrible explanation.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BattleMaster posted:

An upscale grocery store in my town back in the 90s had a pneumatic tube system. The office was on a higher-level overlook above the floor of the store and tubes from near the cash registers went there. I don't know what they used it for, maybe credit card carbon imprints back when that was a thing, or receipts before computerized inventory systems were a thing? I wonder if they still use it.

Yea when I was in university I worked at a grocery store that had one for cash pickups. It was one of those stores that are massive and does a half million in a slow day.

That was 2000.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Pneumatic tubes fascinated me as a kid :awesome:

I asked my dad how they worked and he told me there's a gnome down there who sorts them

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Shibawanko posted:

Pneumatic tubes fascinated me as a kid :awesome:

I asked my dad how they worked and he told me there's a gnome down there who sorts them

Close, it's a demon

Only registered members can see post attachments!

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I assume "demon in room somewhere" is somewhere in Microsoft's update pipeline given how they still can't do updates right

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
I liked the episode of Pimp My Ride where they install a P tube system in a car (a limo IIRC) so the passengers can communicate with the driver. Because apparently talking or texting are more dangerous than having to: open a tube, unfold a piece of paper, write a reply by hand, put the paper back in the tube and send it, all while driving.

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest
To add to the pneumatic tube chat, we use them in my restaurant. Seriously.

In addition to our dining room, we also serve food (burgers and other short-order style stuff) upstairs in the brewery taproom. Our kitchen is two floors down and on the opposite side of a city-block sized building. Our solution, instead of having two separate kitchens, or having someone constantly sprinting back and forth, is a pair of pneumatic tubes. We wrap everything up drive-thru style, load it in the canister, slap it in the tube and launch it to the other side of the building. It works better than you think it would, and people ~really~ get a kick out of getting a cheeseburger delivered via tube. I'm working on getting some fancy lights on the canisters themselves so everyone can gawk even more as the canister loops its way to the kiosk.

Sartre/Rhinegeist in Cincinnati if anyone wants to see the silliness in action.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Merkin Muffley posted:

In addition to our dining room, we also serve food (burgers and other short-order style stuff) upstairs in the brewery taproom. Our kitchen is two floors down and on the opposite side of a city-block sized building. Our solution, instead of having two separate kitchens, or having someone constantly sprinting back and forth, is a pair of pneumatic tubes. We wrap everything up drive-thru style, load it in the canister, slap it in the tube and launch it to the other side of the building. It works better than you think it would, and people ~really~ get a kick out of getting a cheeseburger delivered via tube. I'm working on getting some fancy lights on the canisters themselves so everyone can gawk even more as the canister loops its way to the kiosk.

drat. This almost tempts me to fly into Cincinnati the next time I go home. Sounds wonderful.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Merkin Muffley posted:

Rhinegeist has been on my list of Ohio breweries to get to this year and this just moved it to the top.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
I've seen the odd article/ad online about restaurants that serve food with pneumatic tubes. I think there's one not too far from me which would be cool to visit sometime.

On a related note, I was once at a McDonalds in Korea (yeah, I know) which had two floors and a counter on each floor, but only one kitchen. They had a paternoster type thing to get food between floors which was neat.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_4qKt6Wr5w
The best of Tube Food

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I liked the episode of Pimp My Ride where they install a P tube system in a car (a limo IIRC) so the passengers can communicate with the driver. Because apparently talking or texting are more dangerous than having to: open a tube, unfold a piece of paper, write a reply by hand, put the paper back in the tube and send it, all while driving.
There was an episode of Top Gear where they built ridiculously long stretch limos and employed things like megaphones for communication, I think not having a P tube in one was a huge missed opportunity now.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

It had 3 p tubes already

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

What a weird video. Two minutes of sales pitch followed by ten minutes of The Sims: Restaurant Edition.

Can't wait for the future where tipping ceases to exist (because we've fired all the waiters) and all restaurants are circular!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It's a shame Dahir Insaat has removed all their old videos: it was a wild selection of "designed by a bored highschooler"-ideas, lovingly rendered, and then stretched into far too long product pitch videos. The restaurant was honestly one of the most plausible ones.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

LOL

He actually says “texting is unsafe while driving”.

11:35

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
A couple of pharmacies here use pneumatic system to deliver prescription drugs to the counter. I guess it is partly just more efficient, but also makes it safer to have more controlled drugs in a separate security room. Only problem is that then you need to talk to the pharmacist while you are waiting your you order to arrive.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Don’t use pneumatic tubes to transport radioactive material.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Don't use pneumatic tubes to transport soda or beer.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Platystemon posted:

Don’t use pneumatic tubes to transport radioactive material.

Don't tell the newly constructed rad lab at the Hanford WTP

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Merkin Muffley posted:

I haven't made it out to Rhinegeist yet as my trips to breweries are always seeing one on the way back from something else, so I'll have to head on down there sometime in the next few weeks.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Went to a place once that delivered guacamole by model train

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
One of the big scandals during the 2014 ebola outbreak was that the Dallas hospital used their pneumatic tube system to transport a sample of Thomas Eric Duncan's blood. I don't know if that was actually a breach of protocol or if it posed any real threat, but it was certainly scary at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.