Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Out of the entire series, Soul of Cinder was one of my favorite fights, with Gael being a close second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

dantheman650 posted:

Does that open with the jail key ring or whatever? I found that locked door but I didn’t want to go back after I found the key ring cause that area sucked to get through the first time.

yeah if you use a bow you can pull them one at a time and it takes a minute but it's the safest way to do it. make sure you get everything else you want out of there on that clear because you don't want to have to do it twice (i believe there's also a blacksmith ember down there too)

also if you thought dancer was fun, may i suggest you find your way down to the untended graves

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Freaking Crumbum posted:

also if you thought dancer was fun, may i suggest you find your way down to the untended graves

Not sure what this means but maybe I’ll find out tomorrow!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Fargin Icehole posted:

Out of the entire series, Soul of Cinder was one of my favorite fights, with Gael being a close second.

Soul of Cinder was so easy and underwhelming after the really tough fight with the Princes. It was pretty much dodge and whack. Also had no real problems with the Dancer, just whack at its heels and watch out.

The bosses that really gave me a tough time was the Watchers, Demon King and Aldrich. Gundyr too, but that was just because DS3 is my first Souls game and I had no clue.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I found dancer and champion pretty easy. Twin princes, sister friede, and Gael were the hardest bosses for me by far. I never fought midir because I’m a pussy.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I got a ton of help with Midir. I dont know if I has the patience to do it solo.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Pussy Quipped posted:

I found dancer and champion pretty easy. Twin princes, sister friede, and Gael were the hardest bosses for me by far. I never fought midir because I’m a pussy.

you aren't missing much

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Got Ocieros on my first try. No idea what he was blabbering on about during the fight.
Edit: Got to the Untended Graves. Now I’ll see what yesterday’s cryptic warning was about!
Edit2: Not sure what Freaking Crumbum was talking about with the Dancer and the Graves. Do you mean Champion Gundyr's neverending combos in the second phase? He is a bit rough. Got him down to 30% or so a few times and decided to explore elsewhere. Got to Dragonslayer Armor on the other path and got him to 10% the first time before getting greedy and eating a stupid hit.

Does it matter which of these paths/fights I do first? The run to Gundyr is easier but DA feels like an easier fight. Not sure what comes after either of them.

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 1, 2019

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

dantheman650 posted:

Got Ocieros on my first try. No idea what he was blabbering on about during the fight.
Edit: Got to the Untended Graves. Now I’ll see what yesterday’s cryptic warning was about!
Edit2: Not sure what Freaking Crumbum was talking about with the Dancer and the Graves. Do you mean Champion Gundyr's neverending combos in the second phase? He is a bit rough. Got him down to 30% or so a few times and decided to explore elsewhere. Got to Dragonslayer Armor on the other path and got him to 10% the first time before getting greedy and eating a stupid hit.

Does it matter which of these paths/fights I do first? The run to Gundyr is easier but DA feels like an easier fight. Not sure what comes after either of them.

If you want to know which one is optional it’s Gundyr

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

What are your favorite places to farm souls? At different stages in the game I have used the Gruhs near Farron keep, the deacons and giants near Sulyvahn and the stairs leading up to the Princes (reverse, starting with the Lothric knights).

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

dantheman650 posted:

Do Gundyr first for a bonkers ring. Explore the area after that and then go do Dragon Armor.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I already beat Dragon Armor and made it to the gank squad on the stairs in the Archives. Might go back and take out Gundyr next. Nice to have options!

Also RIP to my little thief buddy. Found his ashes on the roof.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

dantheman650 posted:

I already beat Dragon Armor and made it to the gank squad on the stairs in the Archives. Might go back and take out Gundyr next. Nice to have options!

Also RIP to my little thief buddy. Found his ashes on the roof.

You even have a third option i think. It requires a certain emote you received and use it in the Irithyl Dungeon .

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Oh a new mod patch, let's check out the spell changes

code:
# Spells
- Adjusted the FP cost of spells.
- Tightened the spread of the emitted bullets for Floating Chaos (and similar spells) so they are much more consistant at hitting smaller targets.
- Changed bleed inflict of Nibble to 50
- Changed damage of Gnaw to 150 and bleed inflict to 70
- Changed damage of Dorhys' Gnawing to 200 and bleed inflict to 90
- Changed damage of Ravenous Gnawing to 250 and bleed inflict to 110
- Changed damage of Voracious Gnawing to 300 and bleed inflict to 130
- Changed damage of Pursuing Soul to 160
- Changed damage of Great Pursuing Soul to 180
- Changed damage of Great Soul Dregs to 300
Alright, some nice stuff here, I wonder if he added any new
code:
- Added dark pyromancy: Dark Touch
- Added dark pyromancy: Abyssal Surge
- Added dark pyromancy: Dark Inferno
- Added dark pyromancy: Dark Hail
- Added dark pyromancy: Dark Dance
- Added dark pyromancy: Recollection
- Added dark sorcery: Whisper of Despair
- Added dark sorcery: Repel
- Added dark sorcery: Numbness
- Added miracle: Perseverance
- Added sorcery: Soul Flash
- Added dark sorcery: Deep Barb.
- Added dark sorcery: Surging Deep.
- Added dark sorcery: Cascading Deep.
- Added dark sorcery: Dreg Hail.
- Added dark sorcery: Yearning Dregs.
- Added dark sorcery: Dreg Torrent.
- Added dark sorcery: Writhing Deep.
yeah OKAY cinders guy

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Perseverance as a miracle makes a lot more sense

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

The Champion Gundyr fight is the first in all three games that I feel is cheap. He knocks you down and then hits you again before you can get up. But only sometimes. So if you get knocked down it’s total luck whether he’s going to attack again or not. I’m really not sure how to beat this guy but I’m not making any progress.

In other paths, I made it to the Storm King who also seems pretty tough but only tried once.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
don't get knocked down imo

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Been playing through this, just took out the Pontiff and Aldrich - those guys have felt much tougher than the other bosses I've faced so far. Aldrich's arrow shower attack was one I felt I really didn't have a proper way of dealing with, and the Pontiff was very fast and hard to dodge.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

don't get knocked down imo

Working on it. Got him down to 5% twice in a row now. It’s doable.

Edit: complaining always works! Took him down. It was super super dicey getting that last hit in.

I also made it to Lothric. His first phase is easy enough but man there’s a lot to dodge in the second! Good thing his health pool isn’t terribly high.

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 7, 2019

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Gort posted:

Been playing through this, just took out the Pontiff and Aldrich - those guys have felt much tougher than the other bosses I've faced so far. Aldrich's arrow shower attack was one I felt I really didn't have a proper way of dealing with, and the Pontiff was very fast and hard to dodge.

You just run away from the arrows in the second phase.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Champion Gundyr is easy, the key is to parry him with your bare fist, then throw poop at him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrbDD7onr0o

I tried parrying him only and it took me a few tries, but drat, made me respect poop throwing guy so much. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3PciPVqAj4

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

xanthan posted:

You just run away from the arrows in the second phase.

They kept catching up

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Sometimes it goes in a straight line, other times it chases you. When it's chasing you you need to run in a circle.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
You need a full bar to outrun the second phase arrows (they always chase in the second phase), so don't commit until you know he won't do them.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
The first phase arrows are one of the best times to deal damage to him, as they can't go behind him.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-lR-GRnRPo

holy poo poo, I saw this as soon as I saw these posts about Aldrich I saw this and the ending was just as satisfying as I expected.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

dantheman650 posted:

Edit2: Not sure what Freaking Crumbum was talking about with the Dancer and the Graves.

dantheman650 posted:

The Champion Gundyr fight is the first in all three games that I feel is cheap. He knocks you down and then hits you again before you can get up. But only sometimes. So if you get knocked down its total luck whether hes going to attack again or not. Im really not sure how to beat this guy but Im not making any progress.

that's all i was getting at. he's one of the trickier bosses in the game because a lot of players just kind of brute force bosses up to that point, and he's set up to shut down that kind of play. obviously if you learn how to parry him then you can chump him in a variety of ways, but most people see parrying as a sometimes thing they do occasionally when they remember that it exists, so fighting him straight up is very challenging.

friede is the most frustrating boss for me personally. i don't think i've ever beaten her on any character without it taking multiple attempts, and the fact that she has effectively 3 health bars interspersed with cutscenes and that you have to start from square 1 every time makes fighting her a chore. i guess nameless king falls into the same spot, where having to restart the fight from the very beginning each time is more frustrating than actually having to fight him.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I only played DS3 from the whole series and loved it to bits, but time and cash constraints kept me from trying another game. That may change a bit soon, though.

Is the DLC good? Is Bloodborne ever coming to the PC? I'd love some suggestions for games on the same vibe.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I've only finished the ariendel dlc but it's very good. Friede has one of the most badass boss intros I've seen.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sephyr posted:

I only played DS3 from the whole series and loved it to bits, but time and cash constraints kept me from trying another game. That may change a bit soon, though.

Is the DLC good? Is Bloodborne ever coming to the PC? I'd love some suggestions for games on the same vibe.

ashes isn't great. Ringed city is very good, as long as you just skip one optional boss (so par for the course following the dark souls 2 DLCs). Bloodborne is never coming to PC.

frankly none of the most similar games I've played to this series, like the surge and nioh, have been nearly as good as from software's games. I don't have any rabid brand loyalty or anything and I wanted to like them. but they just weren't good. Nioh's got a small group of superfans and if I had to recommend one then that'd be it, but it's a tough sell for most.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I haven't said much about it because the mod author continues to update it at a baffling rate and there's probably too much to comment on, but I've played cinders 1.36 through irithyll dungeon and overall it's good. it's just real drat good. there's far and away more build options than even dark souls 2. It's bats how much content there is

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Digirat posted:

I haven't said much about it because the mod author continues to update it at a baffling rate and there's probably too much to comment on, but I've played cinders 1.36 through irithyll dungeon and overall it's good. it's just real drat good. there's far and away more build options than even dark souls 2. It's bats how much content there is

I've been keeping my eye on this thread just for comments about the cinders mod. I found DS3 much less enjoyable than 1 or 2 (still great, though!) because of the linear structure, lack of build variety, especially compared to DS2, which is only exacerbated by the linear structure locking too many fun toys in the back half of the game, and the faster pace of combat. It seems like cinders fixes the first two problems, which would probably be enough for me to overlook the third.

I know people have complained about HP sponge enemies and annoying monsters like pus of man sort of nonsensically placed. I didn’t find scholar of the first sin to be “kaizo” at all, for reference, but a lot of people leveled that complaint at it. Do you find cinders to have a kaizo feeling to it?

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Digirat posted:

ashes isn't great. Ringed city is very good, as long as you just skip one optional boss (so par for the course following the dark souls 2 DLCs). Bloodborne is never coming to PC.

frankly none of the most similar games I've played to this series, like the surge and nioh, have been nearly as good as from software's games. I don't have any rabid brand loyalty or anything and I wanted to like them. but they just weren't good. Nioh's got a small group of superfans and if I had to recommend one then that'd be it, but it's a tough sell for most.

Nioh has some of the same conventions as a Souls game but its core combat structure is more in line with Ninja Gaiden than anything else. I enjoyed it, but it feels like it's also a lot longer than most Souls titles. With all 3 DLC in place I can safely say I felt totally burned out by time I got to the 3rd one. I in fact have not finished it. Probably because while the base game felt like it was always doing something new, the DLC is just rehashing stuff with bigger numbers.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jul 10, 2019

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I've been playing Cinders on the 1.36 version, which was already noticeably different from what people have been talking about in the thread before, and is now again three versions behind. They just keep adding an insane amount of new spells, rings, weapons and so on, so this is shaping up to be a complete overhaul from "just" a rebalance-type deal.

Almost all of the mechanical changes have been sensible, clever and fun. Where I disagree with the modder's design philosophy is enemy placement. All big miniboss-type enemies in DS3 are utter trash to fight. Nobody likes Pus of Men, Outrider Knights, Aldrich Spiders or the hand monsters in Profaned Capital ("Monstrosities of Sin"). And they just keep getting added to areas, more and more with each update. Granted, you get more and more powerful tools, but damage is not the real problem, it's that they're twitchy assholes with no stamina limit that are just not fun at all to fight, and the new placements now respawn. It's just dumb imho.

You can, however, enjoy most of the game despite them being there, because they're rarely completely in the way. If you've been running from them so far, you can keep doing that; if you don't mind fighting them and are in fact consistent at it, well, keep doing that. It's not a dealbreaker, but it's annoying and imho idiotic.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My understanding of kaizo is that it’s for the sweatiest tryhardiest players only and cinders 1.36 really hasn’t felt that way at all. the only boss I’ve fought so far that had too much health was abyss watchers, nearly everything else was totally reasonable or hell maybe a hair too fragile. if anything some of the NPC fights like yellowfinger heysel (accidentally?) became too obnoxious now just due to the spell and poise changes he made for the player to use.

He removed a bunch of the added enemies from high wall and made that the start of the game again, but added a few warps to later areas so you can get into 2 later places like catacombs from the undead settlement and into archdragon peak from the high wall. I didn’t find the undead settlement warps though.

but everything I’m saying could be out of date tomorrow or even right now in updates he made after I started. I can’t believe how fast he updates.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Digirat posted:

The Surge felt like it was going to be amazing up until the first boss, which is an awfully short amount of time for a game to be good before it crashes and burns in a bullshit pseudopuzzle boss that doesn't even make you feel like you're rewarded for learning how to hurt it.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Whalley posted:

The Surge felt like it was going to be amazing up until the first boss, which is an awfully short amount of time for a game to be good before it crashes and burns in a bullshit pseudopuzzle boss that doesn't even make you feel like you're rewarded for learning how to hurt it.

The Surge is the ONE "Souls-like" I have played that actually felt like Souls. But yeah - exactly what you described. The first boss was dumb and completely failed to capture the Souls "hell loving YES" feeling of finally beating it. So my interest dropped off a cliff.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Digirat posted:

My understanding of kaizo is that it’s for the sweatiest tryhardiest players only and cinders 1.36 really hasn’t felt that way at all.
the OG kaizo hacks also contained a lot of "gotcha" moments where if you weren't spoiled, you would just die the first time around before you knew what the trap was, which is often what people refer too

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Tagichatn posted:

I've only finished the ariendel dlc but it's very good. Friede has one of the most badass boss intros I've seen.

Yeah she is right up there with the Ivory King.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Mesadoram posted:

Yeah she is right up there with the Ivory King.

friede would be a really cool boss if you started on whatever phase you died on

right now she's poop from a butt