Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
haftar apparently just declared turkey his enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Squalid posted:

Haftar spent like 20 years living in Langley Virginia while the CIA kept him on ice. In retrospect they probably should have left him to die in Chad.

ahaha, I didn't know this either.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.

Hajotus Maximus posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/11/world/middleeast/syria-torture-prisons.html

Some info about the syrian torture facilities with helpful links containing even more information. poo poo's pretty bad , especially for women. Imagine surviving a stint in a torture dungeon only to find yourself hiding from your own relatives because they want to honor kill you.

https://thegrayzone.com/2019/06/14/syrian-network-for-human-rights-opposition-snhr/#more-10534

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

For all the interest the Greyzone Project takes in the funding sources of various human rights groups it’s remarkably unclear where Max gets his funding from. Really doubt ~120 subscribers on patreon is enough to pay the bills. Maybe there’s a group of anti-imperialist millionaires out there very passionate about dispelling the myths surrounding the Syrian prison system.

Fallen Hamprince fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 29, 2019

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Fallen Hamprince posted:

For all the interest the Greyzone Project takes in the funding sources of various human rights groups it’s remarkably unclear where Max gets his funding from. Really doubt ~120 subscribers on patreon is enough to pay the bills. Maybe there’s a group of anti-imperialist millionaires out there very passionate about dispelling the myths surrounding the Syrian prison system.

Especially considering the complete 180 from posting his own poo poo and doing his own reporting to just copy pasting Vanessa Beeley and idiots like her, and making regular appearances on RT and at RT events.

https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal/status/103817672386555904

https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal/status/376740344848973824

https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal/status/378604214660132865

https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal/status/425380706697887744

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Fallen Hamprince posted:

max blumenthal likes to mock victims of chemical weapons attacks. for leftism. truly an anti-imperialist hero.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ASenileAnimal posted:

max blumenthal likes to mock victims of chemical weapons attacks. for leftism. truly an anti-imperialist hero.

Which C-SPAM poster is he again?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

All chemical weapon attacks in Syria are false flags organised by Al Qaeda and the US government to justify the US military's upcoming invasion of Syria, since 2012, for oil or something.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Also, Marxism is good.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Marxism is Good generally speaking. The problem is lots of Marxists are Very Not Good.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Which C-SPAM poster is he again?

*begins visibly sweating* “Haha I have no idea.” *speaking unnecessarily loudly in the direction of a potted plan* “But I hear the weather in Budapest is quite poor this summer.”

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1145143789117480961

Bah, this is really depressing.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Brown Moses posted:

Also, Marxism is good.

But unironically

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

Also, Marxism is good.

Didn't you switch the Cspan Middle East thread title to 'watch Brown Moses start a war' and then pretend it was the thread IK and use it as an excuse to get all butt hurt about 'mean leftists'

Lol

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Brown Moses posted:

Also, oil profit is good.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

A Typical Goon posted:

Didn't you switch the Cspan Middle East thread title to 'watch Brown Moses start a war' and then pretend it was the thread IK and use it as an excuse to get all butt hurt about 'mean leftists'

Lol

Imagine not knowing that it's an in-joke phrase. "Watch Obama start another war." :rolleyes:

Brown Moses posted:

Also, Marxism is good.

Also yes.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/SecPompeo/status/1145160160949747713

:raise:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah Kosovo was the missing piece obvs

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah Kosovo was the missing piece obvs

Just wait until the Most Serene Republic of San Marino adds its military and investigatory resources to the fight.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

suck my woke dick posted:

Just wait until the Most Serene Republic of San Marino adds its military and investigatory resources to the fight.

Side note: San Marino owns and if you're in the area you should totally go. It's neat to climb up to this city on a random mountain and completely get the thought process of ”noone call tell us to do a goddamn thing*"

*pre-aviation

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Guess that didn't really work out for them:

https://twitter.com/ThomasVLinge/status/1145378721953669121

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
:unsmith:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

there was even a solidarity demo in my home town lol it owns

solidarity with the sudanese!

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Side note: San Marino owns and if you're in the area you should totally go. It's neat to climb up to this city on a random mountain and completely get the thought process of ”noone call tell us to do a goddamn thing*"

*pre-aviation

San Marino was also the first democratically elected communist country.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

The protesters in both Sudan and Algeria really seem to have done a great job. Both countries really seem like they have a real shot at at breaking up the oligarchy

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
I know you mean well Squalid, and I know I sound superstitious here, but...

Dammit man, don't jinx it.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Overthrowing the oligarchy tends to be the relatively easy part. It's having the hustle required to make sure some well organized cadre of lunatics doesn't seize control of things after the initial excitement of a successful rebellion has passed.

Also, it's interesting to see the role played by the Sudanese Professionals Association in the protests. Teachers have often played a very influential role when they decide to get involved in North American labour struggles and it makes me wonder what kind of role teacher organizations played in the SDA and how significant a part they've been playing.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I suspect the Sudanese Professionals Association is one of the big reasons the Sudanese protests have been so successful. Having a real leadership and organization to coordinate action must really make it a lot easier to negotiate and force specific, meaningful concessions.

I don't know that much about Sudan but it seems like the existing government there is much more willing to get violent and much more intransigent than in Algeria. As a close ally of the Saudis they probably also have more explicit whispers promising aid and support for crushing any notion of democracy. Clearly the Sudanese have a very difficult road ahead of them and reform could still easily be stifled.

Algeria on the other hand, reading about how things have gone there it sounds like both the people and government are still traumatized by the civil war and determined that this time, it won't come to violence. That seems to have manifested in a determination to keep opposition peaceful on the part of protesters, and a greater willingness to compromise on the part of the government. The way the opposition got elections delayed was real impressive.

All that said I wouldn't hold up much hope for a radical change, the best case scenario is probably some kind of managed transition where the old guard protect themselves and their ill gotten gains from retaliation and probably keep some influence in the government for years.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

https://twitter.com/syria_map/status/1145196513536217090

quote:

The front lines in Syria are visible from space.
This is a good indicator of how just static the front lines in this area have become.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

suck my woke dick posted:

San Marino didn't need the intervention of the USA to exist as an independent state, does not have its status disputed by its neighbor it broke away from (it didn't break away from its neighbor in the first place anyway, it existed before its neighbor did), and therefore does not sheepishly seek to keep the support of a powerful yet unreliable patron.

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

Xerxes17 posted:

Imagine not knowing that it's an in-joke phrase. "Watch Obama start another war." :rolleyes:

Also yes.

wait, that phrase probably traces its origins back to 9/11, where a poster said “watch george bush start a war”.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Saladin Rising posted:

https://twitter.com/syria_map/status/1145196513536217090

This is a good indicator of how just static the front lines in this area have become.

Is the discolouration just World War One style no mans land between two opposing lines of defense?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Or it means the frontlines settled along existing geographic features.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cat Mattress posted:

San Marino didn't need the intervention of the USA to exist as an independent state

Ehhhhhh.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Or it means the frontlines settled along existing geographic features.

Looking at google earth, there are small waterways in the area. So, yeah.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Haftar is arresting and expelling Turks from eastern Libya, and claiming he shot down a Turkish drone. He mad. Erdogan has threatened retaliation if any Turkish citizens are hurt.

American weapons which were sold to the UAE were captured by the GNA from the LNA. This is kind of serious because technically it is against US law for customers to transfer American hardware into Libya, due to the weapons embargo. I doubt Trump cares but in theory if Congress decides to make an issue out of this it could effect future arms sales.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 1, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Squalid posted:

Haftar is arresting and expelling Turks from eastern Syria, and claiming he shot down a Turkish drone. He mad. Erdogan has threatened retaliation if any Turkish citizens are hurt.

American weapons which were sold to the UAE were captured by the GNA from the LNA. This is kind of serious because technically it is against US law for customers to transfer American hardware into Libya, due to the weapons embargo. I doubt Trump cares but in theory if Congress decides to make an issue out of this it could effect future arms sales.

Watch erdogan start a war

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Squalid posted:

Ahhahahahahaahahah...no.

The 'in theory' part of your post is fortunate, because that's all it will remain. Arms sales will always go where the demand is greatest at more or less the same volume too, official or not. The only difference as to whether they're official or not is whether it'd be politically acceptable or not.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 1, 2019

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Squalid posted:

Haftar is arresting and expelling Turks from eastern Syria

Don't you mean Libya?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This is... odd.