Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Didn’t Tattooed Man have a pretty big role in Final Crisis: Submit? Which was one of the few Big Two comics where pretty much every character was a person of color.

:aaaaa:

Somehow I missed that one-off when Final Crisis was coming out, so when Tattooed Man showed up in the main story saying Black Lightning sacrificed himself to save his family and gave him the Metron circuit, I remember thinking 'They couldn't show that on-panel?'

:downs:

That's a thing that always peeved me about big comic events. Like, oh, you don't read Batman? Well then you won't understand why Red Hood has the Helmet of Dr. Fate when he shows up in Incredible Crisis #5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

LadyPictureShow posted:

:aaaaa:

Somehow I missed that one-off when Final Crisis was coming out, so when Tattooed Man showed up in the main story saying Black Lightning sacrificed himself to save his family and gave him the Metron circuit, I remember thinking 'They couldn't show that on-panel?'

:downs:

That's a thing that always peeved me about big comic events. Like, oh, you don't read Batman? Well then you won't understand why Red Hood has the Helmet of Dr. Fate when he shows up in Incredible Crisis #5.

Final Crisis felt like what you wrote up there, but in every issue, especially in the end.
Oh hey, you didn't read Superman 3D? Well here is a space vampire from put of nowhere in the final issue, enjoy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
FC was supposed to be a 12 issue series but they decided to chop out important pieces and spread them out to specials.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Madkal posted:

Final Crisis felt like what you wrote up there, but in every issue, especially in the end.
Oh hey, you didn't read Superman 3D? Well here is a space vampire from put of nowhere in the final issue, enjoy.

I have no sympathy for anyone who didn’t read Superman Beyond 3D. Those two issues were amazing.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

bessantj posted:

That's a hell of a thing. What is in people's opinion the most convoluted storyline from the big two? (I'm sure Manga has had some legendary convoluted storylines.) Though I haven't read it Clone Saga always sounded convoluted.

The story of Scarlet Witch's children probably should get at least an honorable mention for sheer number of confusing retcons and rewrites.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I remember finding Final Crisis surprisingly easy to follow, as long as you don't skip Superman Beyond. (That was a big thing even when it came out, if you skip those it doesn't make sense.) For a story whose goals were tying up the narrative strings of the entirety of Jack Kirby's Fourth World, jumpstarting the next stage of the New Gods, and kicking off Batman R.I.P. and Flash Rebirth, all wrapped in a metatextual metaphor for the power of indefinite serial storytelling in a massive company-wide crossover event... it's pretty straightforward. It's definitely more coherent than Zero Hour. (But you do need to read Superman Beyond.)

GMo fills his stories with these tripped-out adventures through space-time, and plants wild, imaginative seeds, but it all comes across pretty cleanly when you just sit down and read them.
Like, Seven Soldiers has this reputation for being this intricately woven kaleidoscopic story about the mysterious forces that control the fate of the universe assembling a team that doesn't know they're a team (so that they can't be broken up by the sinister forces that want to stop them) to combat the latest recurrence of a cyclical extinction-level event, their seven overlapping but vastly different stories each contributing an equal part in stopping the apocalypse, and, yes, it is. But it's also just a very digestible, delightful read. When Bulleteer, the lady who was given superpowers without her consent by her ex-husband, because that's his fetish, kills Gloriana Tenebrae, the main villain, by accidentally running her over with a Volkswagen Beetle, you understand perfectly well what happened and why, and it's just hilarious and a lot of fun.

Final Crisis is,
Darkseid got the Anti-Life Equation, which gives him mass mind-control basically. The heroes fight a desperate battle, they get all the big heroic moments they're supposed to get, but the bad guys just keep winning. Orion, the guy who was destined to defeat Darkseid, was killed with a bullet fired backwards through time. Batman figures it out, and he uses the same bullet to shoot Darkseid. Then The Flashes juke the Black Racer and trick him into running face-first into Darkseid- Darkseid goes down in the 14th round. Then a reality vampire shows up, because you didn't read Superman Beyond. :argh:
Anyway, he's the reason the bad guys were winning and he's pissed. Superman defeats him by breaking the fourth wall. fin~

By contrast (and submitted for consideration for "most convoluted") the narrative scope of Return of Donna Troy was, "Wonder Woman's Silver Age sidekick comes back from the dead," and this is the angle they went with:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Angry Salami posted:

The story of Scarlet Witch's children probably should get at least an honorable mention for sheer number of confusing retcons and rewrites.
Confusing children retcons run in the family.

Out at least, they did.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Angry Salami posted:

I thought that she had imagined them and due to her powers they "came to life" but were never real. What versions have there been?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

bessantj posted:

I thought that she had imagined them and due to her powers they "came to life" but were never real. What versions have there been?

They became hands for a villain. Later on their souls were reborn and are Wiccan and speed

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Master Pandemonium is great

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

bobkatt013 posted:

They became hands for a villain. Later on their souls were reborn and are Wiccan and speed
Also they were actually fragments of Mephisto's soul, and destroyed him when he tried to absorb them

Also afaik it has never been addressed if Wiccan and Speed were created from birth, or if their souls took over the bodies of existing children, meaning Billy and Tommy could just have absolutely horrific existentially terrifying satanic origin story lol

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cubone posted:

Also they were actually fragments of Mephisto's soul, and destroyed him when he tried to absorb them

Also afaik it has never been addressed if Wiccan and Speed were created from birth, or if their souls took over the bodies of existing children, meaning Billy and Tommy could just have absolutely horrific existentially terrifying satanic origin story lol

It was addressed, their souls were just put in the pipeline of souls waiting to be born. It's like reincarnation, but more complicated.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

It was addressed, their souls were just put in the pipeline of souls waiting to be born. It's like reincarnation, but more complicated.
Oh ok
Not sure if I'm relieved or disappointed.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Lobok posted:

The Clone Saga isn't really convoluted so much as it's massively bloated. Explaining what happens is difficult but only because it goes on so long and so there are lots of plot points and characters.

The "saga" is really mostly called that in hindsight, though. You could be forgiven for reading through the Ben Reilly stint of Spider-Man, a year long, and thinking the saga was over with no expectation of more conclusions to wait for the way we know now it's not truly done until Osborn returns and Ben dies.

Was the clone saga still going on when Maximum Carnage happened? I feel like it was, but who knows anymore.

Reading it as a kid, and the one plot point that stuck in my craw was Norman Osborn stealing Peter and Mary Jane's baby, and them thinking it had died (apparently).

The comics followed Allison Mongrain for a while, after she poisoned Mary Jane and seemingly took the baby. Robbie Robertson spent time trying to track her down, and finally found her, only for Molten Man to kill her while mind controlled.

It was a lot of 'oh ho! The baby isn't really dead!' Mary Jane convinces herself/comes to terms that the baby died, but Peter is hell-bent on finding his daughter. He battles Green Goblin, and he eventually comes to a safehouse with a locked room. His daughter is in there, he's certain of it! He opens the door...

And Aunt May (The real Aunt May; not actually dead) clocks him in the head with a vase. :wtc:

The baby plot is dropped; no further discussion, aside from editors saying 'Nope. Baby's dead. Stop asking us, Jesus Christ.'

There was a lot going on during the clone saga. Also, we're there more clones than three? I remember there being Ben, Kaine, and Spidercide.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Maximum Carnage was earlier.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Cubone posted:

Lurdiak posted:

.......... I see.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

LadyPictureShow posted:

There was a lot going on during the clone saga. Also, we're there more clones than three? I remember there being Ben, Kaine, and Spidercide.
mhm!
There was also Guardian, Jack, and the dead one that turned out to have been a clone of Ben.

Also these guys:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
SPIDER-CIDE

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

LadyPictureShow posted:

Was the clone saga still going on when Maximum Carnage happened? I feel like it was, but who knows anymore.

You might be thinking of the very beginning of the Clone Saga because in Amazing Spider-Man there was a Shriek and Carrion storyline going on at the time. For me it's easy to remember the Clone Saga as starting around Amazing #400 because that's the death of Aunt May story and in the issues leading up to that she has a stroke and is in a coma. This is the reason Ben Reilly comes back.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lobok posted:

You might be thinking of the very beginning of the Clone Saga because in Amazing Spider-Man there was a Shriek and Carrion storyline going on at the time. For me it's easy to remember the Clone Saga as starting around Amazing #400 because that's the death of Aunt May story and in the issues leading up to that she has a stroke and is in a coma. This is the reason Ben Reilly comes back.

But it started about six to eight months before ASM400 because even at that early stage it was dragging on for too long.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Random Stranger posted:

But it started about six to eight months before ASM400 because even at that early stage it was dragging on for too long.

It started "around" #400, yeah. By the time May died Ben Reilly had already been making teasing appearances and then finally showing up, so that we know who it is that's crying outside May's home by himself.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No, we knew who Ben was in Amazing 394, six months before May died. His teased appearances were 2-3 months prior to that. He'd already adopted the Scarlet Spider identity well before May died as he shows up in costume in ASM 400.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't remember him being in costume in that issue, huh. But yeah I was being generous with saying it started around 400 because I tend not to remember issue numbers. I do know issue 400 so it's easy to remember the Clone Saga as starting just before that even though "just before" is almost a year of lead up. I know it comes after Maximum Carnage because I remember those happened in the late 300s. Good lesson for me not to talk in approximate terms when Google is right there to help me be exact!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Considering the Clone Saga lasted for ten thousand years I think you guys are being a little harsh about someone being off by six months on when it started.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Remember, I'm the idiot with a complete set of singles, the trades and I'd own the HCs if I'd remembered to preorder volume 1.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Your semiregular reminder that for all the deets on the Clone Saga (as well as a really fun and interesting read) you can always read The Life of Reilly

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Whoa so Aunt May died and was revealed to be alive while the clone saga was happening/loose ends were being wrapped up?!

And I think I conflated Maximum Carnage happening during the Clone Saga because my brother and I played the game on Sega Genesis quite a bit at the time Clone Saga was happening in the comics.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

Whoa so Aunt May died and was revealed to be alive while the clone saga was happening/loose ends were being wrapped up?!

And I think I conflated Maximum Carnage happening during the Clone Saga because my brother and I played the game on Sega Genesis quite a bit at the time Clone Saga was happening in the comics.

Most of human history happened during the Clone Saga.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Clone Saga started the year after Maximum Carnage, but as a kid it felt like forever between the end of Maximum Carnage and the debut of Scarlet Spider.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Aunt May wasnt resurrected until years later.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Aunt May wasnt resurrected until years later.

Skwirl posted:

Most of human history happened during the Clone Saga.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'M POSTING REAL ANSWERS drat IT

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I'M POSTING REAL ANSWERS drat IT

There's paintings of 2 Spider-Men in a cave in France.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

It has feces smeared below it in a crude calendar marking out several years.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Skwirl posted:

They're pointing at each other, right?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Open Marriage Night posted:

Clone Saga started the year after Maximum Carnage, but as a kid it felt like forever between the end of Maximum Carnage and the debut of Scarlet Spider.

I mean, you're not wrong. Depending on how many comics you were reading back then it might have felt like time was dilated because of how many ongoing Spider-Man titles there were. There was sometimes more than one Spider-Man issue a week! And so there was just more stuff that happened between any two given moments. Maximum Carnage in particular was 14 issues long but that only took five months.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Yvonmukluk posted:

They're pointing at each other, right?
Y'know, people say that, but frankly I don't see it

e:
This medieval scroll, though, you could make a case for

Cubone fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 1, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

In all seriousness, there's an argument that the clone saga goes on until this very day. Ben Reilly is still running around in Vegas as far as I know.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skwirl posted:

In all seriousness, there's an argument that the clone saga goes on until this very day. Ben Reilly is still running around in Vegas as far as I know.

I define the Clone Saga as being about who is Spider-Man. Reilly can be around or have his own books and what not but if there's no sense that he might supplant Peter then to me it's not the Clone Saga. That's part of why his first death (lol comics) had to be that definitive disintegration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Skwirl posted:

So are Ben and Kaine (I think he came back) still clones of Peter, or has that changed since they came back to life? Unless the storyline is they never actually died!