Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Itz Small. It'z got gunz dat kan shoot either side, wif lotza dakka ta boot, an it'z got enuf gitz on it to be plunderin any gitz dat cross itz paff. wifout any o dat evy arma to get in da way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Veloxyll posted:

Itz Small. It'z got gunz dat kan shoot either side, wif lotza dakka ta boot, an it'z got enuf gitz on it to be plunderin any gitz dat cross itz paff. wifout any o dat evy arma to get in da way!

This is precisely the type of design that the Salon endorses! The only way it could be better is if it were painted red! Are you free to join us for our monthly "Vodka and Battleships" game, sir?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Veloxyll posted:

Chunky Monkey posted:

Gentlemen, may I present to you our entry for the CANJFSP Universal Corvette program. The Svobodu. A true multi-mission craft prepared for the future of naval combat, the Svobodu comes equipped with a speed of 20kts, plenty to complete any mission she is tasked with. She also comes with 1 inch of belt and deck armor, more than enough to handle any gun duels with opposing forces such as armed fishing boats. With 4x 4in main guns, as well as 6x 2in secondary guns (a 6 gun broadside!) she will be more than able to sink any ship she will expect to encounter. Additionally, she has plenty of room for expansion. At 1700t she has the deck space to take on any mission. In her current configuration, this space is used for minesweeping equipment as well as rails to store aeromotive craft, which are due to arrive with the Block 2 variant with expected availability in 1915 (assuming we receive our *full* funding request). At only $4.9m a pop, why not order 10 at a time? The Svobodu, the future of the Russian Navy, now.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArPHtI0N9WmUnKgNcu-2MU5tVMk-Ag

Should be a easy binary vote for this one!

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Dakkalor duh

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I think this bill is a silly idea, so the cheaper one does less harm.

I vote Dakkalor

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

simplefish posted:

I vote Dakkalor

Also it's for colonial service.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Dakkalor!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Даккалор Dakkalor is so damned fun and literally in line with the entire ethos behind the Русские созданы для борьбы и победы Russians are made for fighting and winning salon.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jul 1, 2019

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Svobodu

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Dakkalor

For corvettes you want as small and as cheap of a ship as possible for these guys, trying to add more stuff is a tad superfluous.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Dakkalor

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Dakkalor

Tomoe Goonzen
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Dakkalor

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

quote:

Current states
Germany – Neutral
Britain – Friendly
Austria-Hungary – Hostile
France – Neutral
Italy – Neutral
Japan – Hostile
USA – Friendly.

Priority 1 – Budget
Priority 2 - Prestige.

Saros posted:
Tsushima Time act
This act directs the Navy to mobilise and divert all warships save those needed for Trade Protection and guarding against blockade/raiders in Northern Europe to northeast Asia to seek battle with the Japanese.
Ships designed for raiding will raid in territories where Japan has bases.
Secondly our standard sub doctrine is now unrestricted warfare. Prize rules is extremely ineffective and costs us subs for little gain.
After the war is finished it establishes new priorities for the Far East fleet. It is to consist of the oldest 40% of the destroyers and line of battle ships (B/BB) and they are to be kept in mothball status unless we are at war or a war is likely in Northern Europe when they can be re-deployed as the Admiral sees fit.
If the war is won priority is to be given to claiming a colony is Southeast Asia from Japan to use as a naval base.
bewbies posted:
I propose the Corvettes Are Not Just For Successful Plumbers Act

We are on the brink of submarines becoming dangerous weapons of war. We must be ready to defend our merchant fleet against enemy submarines in our home waters. The CANJFSP Act begins our anti-submarine warfare investment with a fleet of inexpensive and flexible ships that will shoulder the burden of trade protection, eliminating the need for us to hurriedly press light civilian vessels into ASW roles, and freeing our destroyers for higher priority fleet support missions.

The Universal Corvette should meet the following parameters:
- At least three four inch guns, to allow it to defeat enemy submarines in surface gun duels
- All of the latest ASW equipment
- At least 900 tons, to allow for future expansion and installation of more advanced ASW equipment as it becomes available.

The CANJFSP Act has three requirements:
- The admiralty shall build, at a minimum, enough Universal Corvettes to cover our entire "Trade Protection" requirements
- These ships shall be mothballed when not in a state of war
- These ships shall be periodically rebuilt/upgraded as new ASW equipment becomes available

The Universal Corvette design should last us 30 years or more if properly maintained and upgraded. The displacement is important - some of the later ASW equipment is large and bulky, and requires a fairly large ship to house it (do not ask me how I know this). Gun armament is also important: very small KEs will be outgunned by submarines, and will be sunk in surface duels with them. The more firepower, the better. The CANJFSP Act should probably accompanied by an increase in ASW research, I shall defer to my colleagues to make that a reality.

A standing fleet of KEs will spare us the chaos of unmolested enemy submarines wrecking our merchant fleets during the first few months of a war, a critical step to gaining the initiative against stronger opponents.
The Dakkalor begins its design.

I order every ship that doesn't have short range to move.

April 1909

Fighting subs is obviously important.

We certainly have more of them than the Japanese.

An invasion is going in, and we need to stop it.

It's bad weather and we have a two battleships almost on top of each other.

After sailing around in the fog all night, we engage a shore battery – more for something to do than anything else.

At least our submarine got to do something!

Invading using fog as cover – they have no honour!

They have troops ashore now though.

God drat it!

At least Japan is having money troubles.

May 1909

All good things must come to an end.

Sigh, this is not our war.

Our armour improves – not that we've ever built anything that needs armour.

We lose two subs.

The support ships round Africa.

June 1909

Our subs are doing some damage.

Their raiders are running riot.

We attempt to cut enemy supplies.

Our battle line makes contact and revs up its engines.

Battle begins, and numbers are on our side for once!

We mass our guns and start getting in the hits.

The setting of the sun will save them.

Disaster strikes as one of the ships suddenly turns into our lines an makes a successful torpedo attack!

We quickly level our guns at the Mikasa class.

We leave her burning around the same time we hear the Tsarevich is sinking.

The Verni goes after the two escaping battleships – she is shattered by enemy fire, but gets two torpedoes off!

She manages to get one into both enemy ships!

We lose contact after that, but we hear afterwards that the Verni gave her life to sink an enemy battleship and cripple another.

This helps to improve my reputation. I would have liked to avoid losing one of our ships however.

Let us hope the balance of power is now swinging our way.

July 1909

We have only just begun to fight!

We are losing a lot of subs.

See! We are winning now!

They fear to face us!

The rest of the fleet is almost here!

July 1909

Those cursed raiders!

The Tsar is personally overseeing a troop convoy it seems!

The 13” guns engage the Japanese heavy cruiser, while the Diana tries to drive it off.

The Yachts captain sacrifices the convoy to save the Tsar.

Though it seems that the sight of the royal yacht and her massive guns scared the Japanese cruisier off, and the troops all made it through safely.

I will never hear the end of this.

The Tsar is ordered home. This is no place for sight seeing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Three cheers for our heroic Tsar!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
you sunk the mikasa :gonk:

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So technically how is the war going?

You've lost one Battleship, killed two IJN ones, badly damaged another one or two. They have troops landed (but not taken over) Sukehain..

You're losing a lot of subs and merchants..

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Three cheers for our heroic Tsar!

He personally saved thousands of our finest! A true hero

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Our subs had one hell of a happy time until all the Japanese corvettes started showing up in force. Hopefully that intelligence report was correct and they're having a hard time building even more corvettes now.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

simplefish posted:

I vote Dakkalor

I mean, I'm not gonna lie, putting float planes on does have a certain appeal. No-one expects KEs to have bombers on board!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

quote:

I will never hear the end of this.

The firing of the main guns were timed perfectly for a chamber performance of the 1812 overture that was taking place at the same time.

Also, Hero of the Russian Empire to the captain of that destroyer, what a badass!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

wedgekree posted:

You've lost one Battleship, killed two IJN ones, badly damaged another one or two. They have troops landed (but not taken over) Sukehain..

Japan declining battles is a very good sign for us as well as a good, consistent source of VPs.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

IIRC heavy damage puts a ship out of commission for a bunch of months, so if they started with 5 battleships they really only have 2 active in theater right now.

Plus, their ships are sloooooow. 17-19 knots, I think. Our destroyers make 28 knots, and can close with them pretty easily. When that happens you'll see stuff like the Verni putting torpedoes into the big ships and causing massive damage. It's one reason why I like speed, it'll keep you safe from anything less modern... the Nicolai Veliki was never in any real threat from that CA unless Grey wanted to play extremely reckless/aggressive, because with 27 knots speed it could easily stay out of range from the CA while still maintaining the ability to fire its own main battery.

Plus, the Tsar is happy, can give himself medals with actual no-poo poo legit combat clusters, and imagine how jealous his cousins around Europe are. They never get to be in real battles!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

Plus, the Tsar is happy, can give himself medals with actual no-poo poo legit combat clusters, and imagine how jealous his cousins around Europe are. They never get to be in real battles!

Well we can expand our yacht-building enterprises, if they wish to place a commission...

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Looking at the Greys Fighting Ships for 1909, Japan had five battleships across four classes to start the war:

The Asahi and Fuso are from this class. We sunk one of these and badly damaged the other another.

We haven't seen this guy yet, but I'm not particularly worried about something that undergunned.

This got sunk too.

This is their best ship, that secondary battery alone is stronger than the Hatuse. I'd recommend a charge with a squadron or more of destroyers to torpedo her rather than try to get into a slugging match.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Lone Badger posted:

He personally saved thousands of our finest! A true hero

And where is the Emperor of Japan, anyway? Hiding in his palace! Not like our true Russian monarch and his mighty cannon yacht.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
That Hatsuse class might be the worst AI predread class I've ever seen.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Hot drat, definitely propose that our next heavy cruiser or battlecrusier gets christened after the Verni, she sheer weight of that ships balls must have scrapped the ocean floor.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Pirate Radar posted:

That Hatsuse class might be the worst AI predread class I've ever seen.

its the best, for sinking

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Hot drat, definitely propose that our next heavy cruiser or battlecrusier gets christened after the Verni, she sheer weight of that ships balls must have scrapped the ocean floor.

Don't besmirch good name Verni with strapping it on a slow, lumbering beast. Verni must always be a DD.

Proposal:

There must always be one destroyer named Verni in service at all times. In case Verni is sunk in combat, next DD off slipways will also bear the name Verni.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Gervasius posted:

Don't besmirch good name Verni with strapping it on a slow, lumbering beast. Verni must always be a DD.

Proposal:

There must always be one destroyer named Verni in service at all times. In case Verni is sunk in combat, next DD off slipways will also bear the name Verni.

Seconded, why not

Also, boy howdy was I wrong about needing KEs to protect our stuff from raiding! That turm was crazy!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Proposed: Flying The Flag
- The Tsar's Yacht must be kept in the current theatre when at war - it's too imppsing and modern not leverage and apparently scares the Japanese witless
- it must not run away like a coward when it is in battle, especially when it has more speed and longer range guns than its quarry
- it must not do stupid semi-suicidal attack runs for "elan" or other silly reasons
- basically treat it like a normal ship
- BUT our other ships, especially destroyers, must ensure our flag keeps flying - whilr damaging the enemy is still clearly their mission, the moment the Tsar's yacht is at risk thry must hurry to help it (if close enough to actually affect things)

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

you sunk the mikasa :gonk:

She charged the entire russian line to cover a retreat and took a russian battleship with her. That's a pretty loving :black101: way to go out.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

simplefish posted:

Proposed: Flying The Flag
- The Tsar's Yacht must be kept in the current theatre when at war - it's too imppsing and modern not leverage and apparently scares the Japanese witless
- it must not run away like a coward when it is in battle, especially when it has more speed and longer range guns than its quarry
- it must not do stupid semi-suicidal attack runs for "elan" or other silly reasons
- basically treat it like a normal ship
- BUT our other ships, especially destroyers, must ensure our flag keeps flying - whilr damaging the enemy is still clearly their mission, the moment the Tsar's yacht is at risk thry must hurry to help it (if close enough to actually affect things)

seconding this and waiting for the completely foreseeable results.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

wedgekree posted:

They're not coming out to face us, so we're now winning handily. Although I guess we might need to retake Sukehain in the peace deal potentially.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If they keep declining battle, I think we eventually defeat their invasion.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

Veloxyll posted:

I mean, I'm not gonna lie, putting float planes on does have a certain appeal. No-one expects KEs to have bombers on board!

The bill called for a mutli-mission, modular, upgradeable ship to serve the next 30 years for the fleet. I feel like the design fit the bill. I'm glad at least a few people liked it.

Sammich Reaper
Apr 25, 2006
Proposed: Dreadnought What Your Country Can Do For You.
It is past time we start filling in the high end of our fleet with massive floating artillery. At the conclusion of the war, begin designing a four-ship class of BC or BB with 13" main guns minimum size, heavy armor, and meeting speed requirements set forth by No ship left behind.

Goons are not great with money, if we wait until we can afford it, we will be waiting a long long time.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Four seems excessive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Sammich Reaper posted:

Proposed: Dreadnought What Your Country Can Do For You.
It is past time we start filling in the high end of our fleet with massive floating artillery. At the conclusion of the war, begin designing a four-ship class of BC or BB with 13" main guns minimum size, heavy armor, and meeting speed requirements set forth by No ship left behind.

Goons are not great with money, if we wait until we can afford it, we will be waiting a long long time.

Seconded. I’d prefer only three, and BB’s, and not waiting for the end of the war, but more important than all that is just getting started on some big dreadnaughts before the planes take over, and in time for some 1910’s wars.