Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Barry Convex posted:

man Marvel really needs a complete top-to-bottom uprooting of its editorial culture. I hoped things might change for the better under Akira Yoshida, but they clearly haven't

Fixed this to maybe help you with what your expectations should've been

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Seriously, lol.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

The guy in loving yellowface ain't fixing squat, bud.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

He did it to hide identifying tattoos because of the "danger" he was in. No lie.

I hope he shaved his arm on beforehand.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The origin and popular use of that saying predates the slur by centuries.

Huh, how bout that

Still, that's a red flag in this instance.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

BrianWilly posted:

Sina Grace posted a pretty candid essay on his Tumblr about his experience writing Iceman at Marvel.

Wasn't sure where to post this at first...X-thread? Marvel thread? But this thread is probably the best place for it.

quote:

From the get-go, my first editor asserted that Iceman would be DOA if it were “too gay,”

Marvel can't even get one gay-led comic without editorial trying to squash it along the way. What a crock.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wish I was shocked.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I wonder what exactly constitutes "too gay" for a series starring a gay man. I wonder if they defined it for Grace and where the various "too gay" limits are for Iceman and beyond.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

- Iceman must now be fully dressed in his ice form.

- Iceman is not allowed to listen to Cher

-Iceman may not watch RuPaul's Drag Race

- Iceman may not reference Sonicfox

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Iceman must loudly reassure all bakers that he would never force them to bake him a gay cake.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Metalshark posted:

I wonder what exactly constitutes "too gay" for a series starring a gay man. I wonder if they defined it for Grace and where the various "too gay" limits are for Iceman and beyond.

well considering too gay meant doa and it got canned pretty quick, gonna guess that "mentioning being gay or having a boyfriend at all" was the limit

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

- Iceman must now be fully dressed in his ice form.

Iceman in an ice tux could be pretty awesome, mind.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
CB/Akira always strikes me as a guy bending over backwards for Comicsgate truth be told.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He learned it from Joe "Go on Fox News to appease conservatives who think Captain America is too liberal" Quesada

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CB strikes me more as the liberal type where he leans left until the slightest inconvenience causes him to shift fully the other way

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Yeah those quirky inconveniences like not being Asian but really wanting a gig set aside for an Asian person.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dreqqus posted:

Yeah those quirky inconveniences like not being Asian but really wanting a gig set aside for an Asian person.

I still can't believe he didn't lose the job over that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rhyno posted:

I still can't believe he didn't lose the job over that.
What are you gonna do, try to locate talent that isn't deeply enmeshed in your little fart-smelling bullpen?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nessus posted:

What are you gonna do, try to locate talent that isn't deeply enmeshed in your little fart-smelling bullpen?

Lets not get too crazy. You'd just think that pretending to be a writer of another race would be a little too much of a black eye.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rhyno posted:

Lets not get too crazy. You'd just think that pretending to be a writer of another race would be a little too much of a black eye.
What blows my mind is, wasn't this for a story which was extremely Japanese in terms of setting (I assume the cultural content was mediocre at best)?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nessus posted:

What blows my mind is, wasn't this for a story which was extremely Japanese in terms of setting (I assume the cultural content was mediocre at best)?

Ninjas were a repeating theme. Wolverine Soultaker and his Kitty Pryde and then an Elektra series.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Dreqqus posted:

Of course by inconvenience I include perceived and not at all real ones there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was googling CB and his pictures just infuriate me. He is exactly what you imagine a white man who'd pretend to be Japanese looks like.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Nessus posted:

Okay look Cebulski deserves all the dunking he gets for the Akira Yoshida thing and absolutely should never have been made editor in chief are you loving kidding me but he actually did do this. Most of the non-established Marvel or DC talent brought in under Quesada's and Alonso's run as EiC was his work.

I am not in any way defending the man but let's not just ignore reality here for sick dunks.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 30, 2019

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Maybe someone can enlighten me, how can someone pretend to be a different race for so long? I know we got some comic writers here who have worked with Marvel. Don't they see you at all at any point. Is it really all done through e-mail? Because that sounds horribly soulless and draining.

Hm, actually, typing that out does, in its own way, reveal a subtle racism on my part. For example, my cousin is half-Chinese, but you couldn't tell it by looking because he takes after his Italian parent. And his name is American as hell, both first and last. And he's got a strong New York accent and mannerisms. Obviously not the case here, but I guess I can see how one can be duped unless they go crazy and ask for a loving genology tree.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
iirc he was already working at marvel under his real name and "recommended" the akira persona and had friends who were in on it and lied for him

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Covok posted:

Maybe someone can enlighten me, how can someone pretend to be a different race for so long? I know we got some comic writers here who have worked with Marvel. Don't they see you at all at any point. Is it really all done through e-mail? Because that sounds horribly soulless and draining.

I imagine it's different now with video calls being a thing but the Yoshida stuff was about a decade or so ago where you didn't have much of a choice to interact with someone other than calls or emails. Most writers or artists don't actually live in New York, after all.

Cebulski also used his position as a talent scout to pose as the "intermediary" between him and Yoshida, so it's not like there was ever a reason for people to ask to meet the guy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

iirc he was already working at marvel under his real name and "recommended" the akira persona and had friends who were in on it and lied for him

One story claims CB brought a dude in who didn't speak english and claimed that guy was Akira.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
This is a decent summary of the Akira Yoshida saga.

The weird thing is that his first published/announced work was working for Dark Horse on a Hellboy story with Kia Asamiya, a legit manga artist from Japan who I think Cebulski had worked with in his pre-Marvel manga translation days. Cebulski worked to get Asamiya some Marvel work (he had previously done Batman and Star Wars manga/comics, and ended up drawing a bit of Chuck Austen's X-Men run), and "Akira" did a Conan mini-series at Dark Horse with Paul Lee, who I think is Japanese-American.

Basically Cebulski wanted to break into writing comics and it was against Marvel policy to let editors freelance, so he made up a pen name and got a lot of his buddies to cover for him while pretending to only be accessible via e-mail, I feel like the only differences -- and I want to be clear, they are both BIG DIFFERENCES -- between this and a dozen other cronyism stories in comics is that a) he did the whole thing in yellowface and b) he is now the editor in chief of a large corporation owned by an enormous corporation.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's our David Brothers mentioned in the article right? That makes any dislike I had for the guy just evaporate.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

I was googling CB and his pictures just infuriate me. He is exactly what you imagine a white man who'd pretend to be Japanese looks like.

Let me summon my vast psychic powers... winding thorugh the mind aether... ah! I'm getting a vision of a heavyset white dude with a beard.

Let's check!

Yup. My vast psionic powers remain validated.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

Let me summon my vast psychic powers... winding thorugh the mind aether... ah! I'm getting a vision of a heavyset white dude with a beard.

Let's check!

Yup. My vast psionic powers remain validated.

Your vision was slightly clouded and you missed the unfortunate haircut detail.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
They just make poo poo up and then repeat their lies frequently enough they start believing them themselves.

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1145410029576757248?s=19

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Skwirl posted:

They just make poo poo up and then repeat their lies frequently enough they start believing them themselves.

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1145410029576757248?s=19

This dude has reached unprecedented levels of not mad
https://twitter.com/TheCrimsonArmy/status/1145433735627718656

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

He wound up apologizing. (Asterisk.)

https://twitter.com/TheCrimsonArmy/status/1145466660855459840

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 1, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
truly, we were the ones who were owned

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

I love when people seriously try the “You made me bleed, making me the victor!” bullshit

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

you can't just say that without posting it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d696t3yALAY

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/thisisbree/status/1145468847660707841?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/battleworn/status/1145535260953698304