Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Selachian posted:

Eh, fantasy maps always have terrible geography. I've always been fond of the original map from The Sword of Shannara...

See if you can make any sense of how the Mermidon River (in the west) runs.

This one's my fave:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

pseudanonymous posted:

It's also the only mountain range I've ever seen that turns at a right angle. Maybe it was created with the one power or something.

radicaldreamer
May 14, 2013

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Anyone know where to read The Message by Ken Liu?

You can listen to it here (at 18:00): http://www.starshipsofa.com/blog/2013/02/13/starshipsofa-no-276-ken-liu/

otherwise, the Interzone Issue it's in is $5 on Kindle: https://www.amazon.com/Interzone-242-Sept-Science-Magazine-ebook/dp/B00A9NGLZG

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Selachian posted:

Eh, fantasy maps always have terrible geography. I've always been fond of the original map from The Sword of Shannara...

Skull Mountain... or Batman Mountain?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Please don't post pictures of my battlemound lowlands.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

They did not make it to Mount Dhoom. Instead the author went "screw this" and just magically teleported them to where they needed to be and started the final battle, then ended the book with the creeping sense that defeating the Darklord didn't fix anything.

In other words, Mistborn totally ripped off Wheel of Time. I'm not surprised at all. :v:

I enjoyed it for the wrong reasons: the horror, the paranoia, the wolves. But hey, I did enjoy it so I'll pick up book two and dig into it soonish.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Selachian posted:

I like this one because it gives the impression that it was drawn by some medieval mapmaker who is clearly just cobbling together rumors about what is beyond the next town over, gives no fucks about the concept of rivers flowing downhill, and credits his skill to his daily regimen of mercury enemas

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This one's my fave:

An eerie similarity to Mievilles Bas-Lag map.

And if we are doing this:
WOT map

Bakker

More fantasy maps than you ever thought you would need here.
https://atlasoficeandfireblog.wordpress.com

TL:DR.
Fantasy and sci-fi writers are bad at maps.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
pretty lame up that of those maps, only Wheel of Time has that classic fantasy map feature of "THE BADWASTEBLASTEDLANDS" on one of the edges.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Yeah, on the WOT map, that is not a finger.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Oh hey, the Incorruptibles series was really good, even if the third book was a bit of a letdown.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

C.M. Kruger posted:

pretty lame up that of those maps, only Wheel of Time has that classic fantasy map feature of "THE BADWASTEBLASTEDLANDS" on one of the edges.

Two of the edges, in fact.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cardiac posted:

TL:DR.
Fantasy and sci-fi writers are bad at maps.

I've actually got a small personal collection of fantasy maps, some of them signed.

This is probably the one that's visually neatest:

https://www.keiththompsonart.com/pages/grandmap.html

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Apropos of nothing, the urban fantasy-ists might well enjoy Bryan Camp's Crescent City series. It deals with the deities of New Orleans. The first has a down and out magician trying to find out who killed the city's Fortune. The second, a psychopomp trying to find a missing soul. Naturally, things escalate. They're entertaining and New Orleans makes a great magical city.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ben Nevis posted:

Apropos of nothing, the urban fantasy-ists might well enjoy Bryan Camp's Crescent City series. It deals with the deities of New Orleans. The first has a down and out magician trying to find out who killed the city's Fortune. The second, a psychopomp trying to find a missing soul. Naturally, things escalate. They're entertaining and New Orleans makes a great magical city.

Oh well yeah that's perfect and I'm amazed no one hasnt nabbed that already

I've been going down a huge nawlins rabbitbhole the past month ever since Dr. John passed

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Oh well yeah that's perfect and I'm amazed no one hasnt nabbed that already

I've been going down a huge nawlins rabbitbhole the past month ever since Dr. John passed

Probably not as strictly fantasy, but maybe consider The Neon Palm of Madame Melancon by Will Clarke as well. A lawyer for Not-BP finds himself back in New Orleans due to the not-Deepwater Horizon spill. And then his mother, the famous fortune teller Madame Melancon, disappears. It all goes a little Illuminatus! as Madame is still missing and the oil is still pouring into the gulf. Kirkus says, "A bizarrely soulful ride through New Orleans with corporate high jinks and some mystical, unseen forces adding to the experience." Hiaasen would be a fair comparison, and similarly Clarke's love of New Orleans really feels like the driving force through the novel .

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Michael Swanwick's Iron Dragon's Mother is out as of a few days ago. I'd comment on it but the publisher has region-restricted the ebook so you can't but it in Australia because they like anti-competitive practices.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ulmont posted:

This was my favorite of the non-Gibson cyberpunk.

I see Walter Jon William's Hardwired mentioned often, but, in reading reviews of it on goodreads and amazon it was really blasted by some scifi / cyberpunk fans as basically just a shoot 'em up action book with some scifi/cyber gadgets thrown in. I'm so split. Is this book really hard scifi or is it just popcorn with future-guns?

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

pmchem posted:

I see Walter Jon William's Hardwired mentioned often, but, in reading reviews of it on goodreads and amazon it was really blasted by some scifi / cyberpunk fans as basically just a shoot 'em up action book with some scifi/cyber gadgets thrown in. I'm so split. Is this book really hard scifi or is it just popcorn with future-guns?

It's sort of cyberpunk trappings but mostly Smokey and the Bandit + Mad Max, from what I remember. I didn't think much of it.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
All this cyberpunk and no one mentioned Headcrash.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

pmchem posted:

It's both. Probably closer to say Richard Morgan than William Gibson in terms of action. I liked it and recommended it earlier.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Whoever recommended the Sector General books a while back, good call on that, aside from some dated 70s sexism they're really good.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Locus winners announced.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Tor really paid 'em off, huh

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

A posthumous Locus Award was expected for Dozois(no shock there), no idea there was a magazine award category, and lol at TOR winning it.
TOR.COM gives the most shallow whitebread takes I've seen outside of a specific website/online magazine that rhymes with plate.com.

Made about 2 chapters more progress in my VALIS re-read.....VALIS sure was a product of it's time + PKD's specific mental state. Getting very tired of all the foreboding "this would end badly" comments and want something, anything at all to actually happen in VALIS right now.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

A posthumous Locus Award was expected for Dozois(no shock there), no idea there was a magazine award category, and lol at TOR winning it.
TOR.COM gives the most shallow whitebread takes I've seen outside of a specific website/online magazine that rhymes with plate.com.

It's for the fiction they publish. They get first pick from a lot of great writers because they pay loads more than most markets.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

StrixNebulosa posted:

Tor really paid 'em off, huh

not enough to get Battuta a win

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

They have a lot of filler, but I have been enjoying their Lovecraft (wide-sense) re-read https://www.tor.com/series/the-lovecraft-reread/

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Kind of off-topic but we were discussing StarFleet Battles RPG novels which morphed into Star Control 2/Stardock Studios/Brad Wardell talk for a page or so last week.
Anyway, noticed that the original creators/developers of the Star Control series of games posted an update on their site about how/why the lawsuits were dropped.
tldr summary: Bee chat helped both sides reach for peace.

https://www.dogarandkazon.com/blog/2019/6/11/the-only-way-to-win-is

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
All of Will Wight's Cradle books will be free on 4th of July.

YEEHAW MURKA

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Where else am I going to read in depth about horses in science fiction and fantasy?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Where else am I going to read in depth about horses in science fiction and fantasy?

Mike Pence account spotted

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GreyjoyBastard posted:

not enough to get Battuta a win

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there's Masquercard.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Also, official portraits of Geralt, Ciri and Yen from the Witcher TV series are out:

https://www.instagram.com/henrycavill/

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Jedit posted:

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there's Masquercard.

I prefer FalEx -- they have a more Incrastic loyalty program.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

He has some fun books, really liked the Cradle and Traveler's gate series.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I read 4 of the Cradle books when I had a free KU trial, and they're pretty good light xianxia stuff. If he'd like to quote me on the covers, "Better Than Reddit's RoyalRoad Recs!"

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

If you scroll down there's literally another article about horses on that page. So they've got your horse fancying covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

pseudanonymous posted:

If you scroll down there's literally another article about horses on that page. So they've got your horse fancying covered.

Right -- that author, Judith Tarr, has a whole series of horses-in-speculative-fiction articles on Tor.com.

probably should;ve linked to the series rather than the author's tag: https://www.tor.com/tags/sff-equines/

or, for some highlights

https://www.tor.com/2017/04/03/so-how-does-a-centaur-eat-anyway/

https://www.tor.com/2017/05/15/the-final-equine-frontier-ponies-in-space/

https://www.tor.com/2017/06/26/polygamous-space-horses-considering-equinoid-sexuality/

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 1, 2019