Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Q_res posted:

Thank you for the feedback, genuinely. On the Koopa thing, do you think just moving the Koopas a column away (i.e. spread them farther apart) from the invisible blocks would help? I was kind of going for that wall telling you there had to be hidden blocks to get you up there and making the player hunt for them just a little bit.

As for the last Boom Boom, he spawns in the far right corner of that room. If you're quick you can make it up there without taking a hit, and during playtesting, going back down to the bottom of the room leads up there lets you reset him. I'm just not sure how to communicate that they need to move quickly to the player.

Honestly would put some space between the koopa and the blocks yeah. I bounced off the first red koopa and thought "oh I need to jump on this next one to get up this ledge" so that's what I wound up doing attempting. Created the first line of steps then went for another koopa bonk as I thought that was it and well, got hit a second time :v:.

As for the Boom Boom moving too fast, may just want to create a situation where he can't block the hole. It's a dark level and the buzzy beetles being pitch black taught me that I want to move slowly, so entering a room and having to rush with no real warning isn't something I'm likely going to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Alright, here's my first course on Super Mario Maker 2.

Bounce or Stroll:
99K-V41-PGG

A vanilla Mario level where you can either take a high path and bounce on enemies to reach riches, or take the low path which is usually safer, but less rewarding.

Difficulty was aimed to be generally easy to beat at least. Doing the high path may take more effort though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

This level is pretty simple honestly, but goodness it took a long time to build. I was tempted to make clear conditions to force people to explore and APPRECIATE MY ART but eh. I'm done counting pixels!!!!!!!

Giant Jumble
H2V - FXR - 1KG

It's a Mario 3 Level where I created the same stage twice in perfect detail to get the illusion across :shobon: Lotta little secrets for coins that will probably never be cared about.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Araxxor posted:

Alright, here's my first course on Super Mario Maker 2.

Bounce or Stroll:
99K-V41-PGG

A vanilla Mario level where you can either take a high path and bounce on enemies to reach riches, or take the low path which is usually safer, but less rewarding.

Difficulty was aimed to be generally easy to beat at least. Doing the high path may take more effort though.

This felt great to play. Looked good, the optional challenge path was really well designed and felt like I was playing a proper Mario level.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This level is pretty simple honestly, but goodness it took a long time to build. I was tempted to make clear conditions to force people to explore and APPRECIATE MY ART but eh. I'm done counting pixels!!!!!!!

Giant Jumble
H2V - FXR - 1KG

It's a Mario 3 Level where I created the same stage twice in perfect detail to get the illusion across :shobon: Lotta little secrets for coins that will probably never be cared about.

Loved the concept of this one and it played out real nice. Got a couple of secrets too!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Slope Slidin' Away
325-M15-C5G

An ice themed course with a whole lot of slopes. I play tested this one a ton and I think it ended up being pretty fun in the end.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jun 30, 2019

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Here are some nerfs to my previous forest deeps level, which went 200+ plays with no clear despite not being kaizo level difficulty. It should be way more management now.

5Y8-VML-RGG

Feedback appreciated.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

BabyRyoga posted:

Here are some nerfs to my previous forest deeps level, which went 200+ plays with no clear despite not being kaizo level difficulty. It should be way more management now.

5Y8-VML-RGG

Feedback appreciated.

on your course list theres a little circle with an x in it, you can see where people are dying in yr level

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

on your course list theres a little circle with an x in it, you can see where people are dying in yr level

Strangers keep dying on my course, it must be pretty hard—

Oh

Spellman posted:

maustrials No.1
117-4MF-75G

There's 235 coins if you're super bored

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

These coins belong in a museum?

957-NFN-81H

I was tooling around with this concept in the Nintengoons discord yesterday and people seemed to think it was pretty funny. A short, easy, puzzle level. Please gimmie some feedback on this concept as I don't think I'm done with it.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
Doot Doot Doo, Chewin' Through the Spreadsheet (Submit)
Cruise Through The Clouds WB3-R1V-LPF
I died a couple times, but it always felt like it was my fault. A couple notes: What a magikoopa spawns from a block is random, so placing them close to other enemy spawns makes the difficulty vary wildly through playthroughs. Finishing with the "forced destruction" at the end is usually a bad idea, as if you were down to your last 1 or 2 blocks, it would feel really bad. You get a pass on it however as at that point you can just leap of faith to the end and win, but I'm wtching you.
Going for a Run. W6K-7YJ-WDG
Great signposting, keep up the good work.
Double Discord at Dusk ~月下の迷惑倍加~ 87S-NWY-W4G
I gave this a boo, as I assumed that was the attention you wanted :P (If you wanted to make a non-kaizo version of the concept, remember that in the no jump official courses, getting on and off the elevators is automatic.)
Walking my Doggo Vo.oV ML1-KV3-XMG
Nice little swimming "puzzle" level, the "goombas" are little akward for speedrunning, as by the time you see where they are going to jump, you are already on their dick.
Spookhaus of Jump Scares YWT-DJY-3MG
I did a spin jump on the first thwomp, expecting a prize. I received death, also the dry bones seemed to have troble getting pushed into the area by the spring. (I do not know if that was intentional.) Also, you "can" outrun the Bonzai Bill, I was only able to do it once, and it relys on how janky some of the "correctly jumped on the thing" hitboxes are.
Deep Forest Deeps 5YS-J6S-TFF
Course Deleted
Abyssal Adventure 9HJ-VK3-41G
Gotta love well executed High Concept levels. Thanks for the powerups and the reset door!
The Chomp Pipes P9J-C0K-G3G
Good stuff here, not much to really talk about, theres a "forced" hit.. right after a mushroom and a checkpoint, which is where you would want one.
Twist and Shout P3M-NRR-7HG
You are already aware that the twisters can mess with bounce hight, so all I can say is that I would have preferred if the chain chomp and spring challenges swapped places, as the chomp is the jankiest of all the jumps.
Perilous Pyramid YRR-XL0-68G
Cute level. Notes: On the upward part some of the saws peek into frame. The Magikoopa can destroy the place where the dry bones shells drop. On the Downward portion, the ending could use a bit more signposting, as I blindly fell into the last spikes, naving spend the last 10+ seconds blindly falling and landing on not spikes. Or you could just put a 50 coin down there as a reward for taking the hit or getting the shell all the way down.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

J-Spot posted:

It wouldn't be that bad of a level if you'd simply put a door at the end leading back to the beginning. As for me I got to 94 coins and decided I couldn't be bothered trying again.
Cheers for the feedback. I shuffled around some pipes so it's possible to go back now but unfortunately the cool level ID is NO more :(

5R9-66K-8NG

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Is there any way to check what difficulty your own levels end up being?

As far as I can see it's only visible in Course Bot and only for others' downloaded levels - no where else in the UI.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Feenix posted:

This is a god damned joy to play and I can’t wait to have my 6yo boy give it a crack.

Quoting this so I can check it out later, specifically due to this quick review here.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Araxxor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7Kzk4AxfW4

1 day. 1 day, and people are already inventing contraptions in this game. This game is amazing.

Hot drat videos like this make me feel dumb as a bag of hammer bros.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Is having 0 plays for any of my levels after 3 days normal? I hope they dont delete unplayed ones like in MM1

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

How are you guys making the thumbnail things?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

It's less a where are they dying issue, and more a player doesn't understand what to do issue with that particular level i've gathered.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

StabMasterArson posted:

Is having 0 plays for any of my levels after 3 days normal? I hope they dont delete unplayed ones like in MM1

Levels apparently need one like to start being thrown in endless rotation. So beyond that unless you're a famous level creator man, chances are you aren't gonna get any plays. Post some levels and I'll give them a shot.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

StabMasterArson posted:

Gimmie a code and I'll play one when I'm done making this course.

My battery started running low while creating and lmao I hope that's not a bad sign?????????

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TheAardvark posted:

Is there any way to check what difficulty your own levels end up being?

As far as I can see it's only visible in Course Bot and only for others' downloaded levels - no where else in the UI.

In your maker profile, if you look at uploaded courses, you can see the clear rate which will tell you what the difficulty is.

BabyRyoga posted:

It's less a where are they dying issue, and more a player doesn't understand what to do issue with that particular level i've gathered.

You can only do so much to guide the player through and even the softest of softball levels are going to have some people just walking into things. You mentioned people dying a lot on your level and in my experience with MM1, about a 10-15% clear rate on a perfectly average level is normal.

The Kins posted:

[Going Galaxy WB1-251-XKF]
This was pretty clever, although I found it kinda hard. I'd suggest adding more coins to point the player around.

[Classic Kit T59-98K-2NF ]
Not bad! The daytime bits felt straight out of SMB1, although the little Spiny pool in the underground area was a bit of a difficulty spike compared the level surrounding it.

Yay! Feedback!

On the Mario Galaxy level, I didn't want to use coins to sign post since they don't get reflected when the orientation changes (collecting the only coins on the level in the wrong orientation is fatal) but I agree that as a puzzle-ish level it needed a bit more signalling. With some thought, I might have tried to use some kind of blinking light or trapped star to draw player's attention to the objects needed to continue. There's also two jumps I'm not happy with. Maybe I'll revise this one some time. This one doesn't has a clear rate of just over 3% and I try for more of the 5-10% range so it does need a little more (also, now that I'm thinking about it, I want a bit more reward on the planet at the end).

For the classic style level, I had forgotten how to do progressive power ups so thanks, though in this case I'd probably leave it alone anyway since I was trying to reward players for completing a "stage" with the fire flower and helping them have another tool going forward. The spiney trap seems to be the toughest part of the level for players and the intention was to use the conveniently placed invincibility star that's exactly where it would be in SMB1 (and I even tried to guide players into hitting the brick by placing a coin right below it) or just rushing through. I tried to give players plenty of time to get through, though you can't control how players respond.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 30, 2019

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
New level: A Matter of Rhythm

Light kaizo level that is quick paced, has a switch sequence at the end (with midway point) that people will either love or really hate.

HQS-KWB-8XF

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

Just gave it a shot and peaced out after a bunch of tries. Maybe I'm just Garbo at 2D world, but I just couldn't really register what was going on ever and the level didn't flow well enough to just kinda go with what ever the level gave you because of the piranha plant timings and lack of directionals. I felt that if I gave it as much time as a standard Kaizo level I'd be able to do it, but I'm really not that interested in 2D world mechanics to justify putting in the time to do it.

edit: A way to improve it immediately is in that first section cut that beginning piranha plant cut off and in the second section with the pirahana plants, timing blocks, and spike blocks is to cut out like half of that mess or leave a coin trail or something.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 30, 2019

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Random Stranger posted:

You didn't need the two boom-booms at the end when one had the key. In addition, just putting them in a box and having a key isn't an interesting way to handle them. Boss fights in Mario Maker levels get complicated because everyone has seen the enemy on their own (even in the case where the game only came out yesterday); some kind of spin on it has to be done to make the fight interesting.

The red coin sections would be better if they were contiguous, having the player carry a shell back through the door to the first room to be able to progress is kind of awkward.

But you've got some good stuff, too. The shell pathing works well and the small platforming challenges were just about the right difficulty.

hey thanks for this!

Everything after the key door I wasn't too happy with but I also understand making the red coin section contiguous so thanks for that! I spent the most time on the path of the shell and the platforming for 2 of the red coins and then the timer screamed out 15 minutes left and like a bad contestant on Chopped, I rushed the rest lmao

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

hi hello i just want to say that the hitbox/hurtbox of pirahana creepers sucks rear end

I had this same issue in story mode. Pretty irritating when you're trying to bounce off the things multiple times.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Abyss Castle
PW9-W07-TPG

SMB3 Castle with a long fall. I always liked those.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I had a go at making a level with ~secrets~. Also with the terrifying sun. Because it terrifies me. And I hate it.

I present...Treasure beneath the dunes! WooooooooOOOOOOoooooooo

M67-HND-TLF

Would be interested to hear whether things were too signposted/not signposted enough. Kinda pleased with this!

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice
How does it decide what difficulty a level is? Endless mode easy is waayy too easy, but endless mode normal is just ridiculous and I haven't been able to get through more than 3 stages.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm absurdly proud of how this one came out. I think it works on every level too, as a multiplayer course, singleplayer, speedrun etc. Least that's what I'm choosing to tell myself until otherwise. Please give it a shot and let me know what you think! (This took so much time to put together gosh)

Haunted Heights
K32 - K48 - TPG

I hope you like Clear Pipes!!

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Flint_Paper posted:

I had a go at making a level with ~secrets~. Also with the terrifying sun. Because it terrifies me. And I hate it.

M67-HND-TLF

Would be interested to hear whether things were too signposted/not signposted enough. Kinda pleased with this!

I love it! Very nice!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm absurdly proud of how this one came out. I think it works on every level too, as a multiplayer course, singleplayer, speedrun etc. Least that's what I'm choosing to tell myself until otherwise. Please give it a shot and let me know what you think! (This took so much time to put together gosh)

Haunted Heights
K32 - K48 - TPG

I hope you like Clear Pipes!!

I got stuck I think ... I missed one of the red coins and couldn't go back? I really like the layout. Nothing better than a good ghost house.

mst4k fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 30, 2019

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
what the gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfbqLzuKZf8

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Flint_Paper posted:

M67-HND-TLF

So I didn't find the fifth red coin on playing through, but I knew I missed something at the beginning so that worked out. However, for a level about finding the hidden treasure, you were pretty free with those giant coins at the end. Putting the best reward in the vault would entice people to find it.

You do not need the goomba spam on the hills. It doesn't add anything to the level.

Watch the area transitions. Going down the pipe suddenly dropped me into precision swimming which is a completely different challenge than what I was playing before. Letting the player have a safe area to adjust, then progress into the challenge is a good idea.

You've got a lot of solid concepts here and it feels very close to a classic level, the biggest thing that needed improvement was the visual design of the level. It got busy in several places like the underwater section or the hills or some of the pipes where it took a few moments to sort out what I was looking at.

Flyin Jim Elbows posted:

How does it decide what difficulty a level is? Endless mode easy is waayy too easy, but endless mode normal is just ridiculous and I haven't been able to get through more than 3 stages.

It's clear rate. I forget what the exact threshold is but it's based on that.

You'll sometimes encounter "practice" levels that have been played by certain people over and over again to perfect tricks which gives the stage a very high clear rate despite it requiring effectively frame perfect movement.

The problem is you're still playing Little Big Planet 3 so whatever you make will suck to play.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 30, 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So here's a fun thing: If you get to the point in uploading your course where you put the title in, if you accidentally backspace too much and hit back it doesn't go like "do you want to quit the course uploader?" or something. It just loving spits you right back out into the course editor. Nintendo. You have been a game company for ONE THOUSAND YEARS

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

That’s super useful! Thank you!

Big Coin-wise, I definitely put them there before I’d even decided to make the treasure vault bit, so that is totally reasonable. Cheers!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Things I've already sick of seeing in levels: default five block wide snake tracks.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Remember how in some Mario 3/World levels, even when you were flying up, the screen didn't move? Is there any way to replicate that?

Getting the flute in Smb3 fortress is a prime example of this.

Also, are those huge white blocks (SMB3 palette) in the game, that let you go behind the scenery?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Remember how in some Mario 3/World levels, even when you were flying up, the screen didn't move? Is there any way to replicate that?

Getting the flute in Smb3 fortress is a prime example of this.

Also, are those huge white blocks (SMB3 palette) in the game, that let you go behind the scenery?

Maybe Scroll stopping blocks

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Maybe Scroll stopping blocks

What do you mean by this? I know you can put a line of blocks from one end to the other to stop the camera, but is there a non-block way to do it, without preventing the player from going up?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Yeah, don't put anything above the horizontal screen divider and the screen won't follow Mario into the sky.

The white blocks are there but trying to hold down will just make Mario do a little hop as if to say "I get what you wanted to do but we can't do that here". Of course someone's already figured out how to make that into a little Kaizo gimmick of its own.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I made some changes to The Thwomper based on feedback from last night. I added a little more aesthetic flair to the level and made some modifications to make things a little more fair and intuitive. Please give it a try and let me know what you think!

The Thwomper
Course ID: M6P-ST4-8KF
Difficulty: Expert
Multiplayer friendly?: No

DalaranJ, I added this version to the spreadsheet. Can you delete the previous entry?

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Argue posted:

Yeah, don't put anything above the horizontal screen divider and the screen won't follow Mario into the sky.

The white blocks are there but trying to hold down will just make Mario do a little hop as if to say "I get what you wanted to do but we can't do that here". Of course someone's already figured out how to make that into a little Kaizo gimmick of its own.

Ah, ok, thanks, and that makes sense. Glad that functionality (the screen thing) is there.

Also, here's a little secret idea I just had: hidden blocks that are floating in the second space above the ground, in an area where the player is likely going to be Super. They'd have to know to duck in order to hit the block. Obviously, you'd just want one or two, and not box the player in completely.