Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The little brown one must be Jurai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the teal one is remiferia, the yellow to the right of it is ored

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Zaggitz posted:

Don't suppose anyone can translate some of those names. What are the countries other than North Ambria to the north of Erebonia?

The usual suspect did:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Gu4n/status/1144331214435889158

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Weird, I thought they would have put Leman State somewhere on that.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Weird, I thought they would have put Leman State somewhere on that.

IIRC, Arteria is in Leman, so the white area might actually be Leman with the Arteria in the center. (IIRC, the holy city isn't really that large since it's mostly comprised of clergymen)

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
Wow, group B really had lovely long train rides for every field study. I'd be more than willing to pay for a Trails of Cold Steel Group B Field Studies Edition though. I hope that's one idea they are considering.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
That is a lot of room for more Trails series games!

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Given how large Calvard is, Kondo's statement that the Calvard arc is going to be a mere 2 games is soooo gonna be something he'll be forced to walk back.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I'm pretty sure Calvard is still considered West Zemuria so not all of that blacked-out area is going to be the setting for the next arc.

CS3 brings up the problems facing East Zemuria that's causing the migratory wave, but not for more than a few lines.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Calvard definitely isn't that entire area. Some part of that has to be "East Zemuria" and I'm betting it's quite a swath. As for Class 7's Group B, you get to go to a lot of those areas in Cold Steel 3 and 4.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Just started Tokyo Xanadu eX+, I am genuinely surprised at how much this is just Cold Steel but with action RPG fighting. Anything missable/I should know before I get deep into it? I'm only on chapter 2 at the moment

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Every chapter has a 'secret' quest that doesn't show up on the map and you can miss dialogue unless you talk to literally everyone, every chance you get and sometimes even then, but that's about it I think.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Finished Cold Steel 4. Kind of sleepy but wanted to get thoughts written down while they were fresh.

Despite the final dungeon being focused on the robot fights, they still managed to give Ouroboros enough of a chance to drop plenty of juicy hints about where they're headed. McBurn and what he revealed about the Salt Pale was pretty crazy and opens up potential for another ally. Not sure what Cedric has to offer them though, since I kinda doubt being of royal birth gives you that much magic power. Franz's appearance and solutions seemed a little too convenient but I guess it what's he could've been capable of if not under Ishmelga's influence. Reusing the pictures of the Crossbell group from the ending of their games here to prove exactly when they were taken was a little dumb since they went back to their old outfits but whatever. Schera and Olivier getting hitched was surprising but I'll buy it.

Overall, it was an extremely satisfactory ending and the fact they're properly considering the consequences of the war and all that means I am very much looking forward to whatever the next arc is.

leather fedora fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 28, 2019

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Paperhouse posted:

Just started Tokyo Xanadu eX+, I am genuinely surprised at how much this is just Cold Steel but with action RPG fighting. Anything missable/I should know before I get deep into it? I'm only on chapter 2 at the moment

Other than the hidden quest, each chapter's free day has one or two items available for Kou's room somewhere. Certain combinations of items, after being placed, lead to bonus scenes between Kou and two of his acquaintances. Be sure to go to his room to drop them off when you can, as after Chapter 7, you lose that opportunity. Certain characters collect items from vending machines (the Cat and Magical Girl Alisa series), another character collects the plush toys from the arcade crane game.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Paperhouse posted:

A lot of character notes, hidden quests, the same type of thing as Cold Steel 1/2. Don't worry about them unless you want to drive yourself crazy and follow a guide for every single plot beat.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Yeah, that entire black zone physically cannot be entirely calvard, due to some Cold Steel 3 logic, which I suppose is very technically spoilers so...

With Erebonia having taken over North Ambria and Crossbell, they're supposedly equal in size (or slightly larger, I think it was?) Calvard. Which, uh, yeah, those ain't combining to bigger than that entire black space.

That said, it probably IS a fair sized chunk of it, since it has to be bigger than Erebonia is on that map.

Erpy posted:

IIRC, Arteria is in Leman, so the white area might actually be Leman with the Arteria in the center. (IIRC, the holy city isn't really that large since it's mostly comprised of clergymen)

Arteria's a city state, so it's not in Leman.

Anyway, Leman's identified as being midwest zemuria, while Arteria's central, so presumably Leman's off in the black blob.

Which actually makes me wonder how freakishly long Estelle's airship rides to and from were in SC, if it's west from where Arteria's labeled.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 29, 2019

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

more teasers for cold steel the 5th or whatever it ends up being called

https://gematsu.com/2019/06/falcom-shares-first-screenshots-of-the-next-trails-game-teases-ps4-ports-of-previous-titles

looks like that's ymir in the new engine, and noel?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Tales of Woe posted:

https://gematsu.com/2019/06/falcom-shares-first-screenshots-of-the-next-trails-game-teases-ps4-ports-of-previous-titles

Oh, hey, Toma went and growed up.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Tales of Woe posted:

Is this meant to be like Trails in the Sky chapter 3? That is, a filler game that mostly sets up metaplot hooks for the next arc(s) to follow through and an excuse to hang out with the gang some more.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
That's what it looks like, yeah.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Omobono posted:

Is this meant to be like Trails in the Sky chapter 3? That is, a filler game that mostly sets up metaplot hooks for the next arc(s) to follow through and an excuse to hang out with the gang some more.

Essentially.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Fair enough. When I read Cold Steel 5 my first thought was to complain about even more scope creep.
Hopefully the Calvard games won't inflate like a newborn universe.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

48 party members confirmed for Trails of Right Phoenix

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Well, I got as far as the end of Chapter II of Trails of Cold Steel and decided that I like this series enough that I want to start it from the beginning and work my way through Sky, Crossbell, and finally Cold Steel (I'm sure I'll need to start from scratch on Cold Steel once I finally get back from it).

Are there any particular versions of the Crossbell translation patch that folks can recommend here? I realize that it may be a touchy subject; I'm less interested in download sites than I am just making sure I'm getting the best patch to read and enjoy the games.

I'm also interested in any non-spoiler recommendations on what to watch for or small details to observe as I go through the series. I'm not exactly going to be keeping a notepad next to me and I'm likely only going to have time for one playthrough, so thoughts on what I shouldn't miss would be appreciated!

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Memnaelar posted:

Are there any particular versions of the Crossbell translation patch that folks can recommend here? I realize that it may be a touchy subject; I'm less interested in download sites than I am just making sure I'm getting the best patch to read and enjoy the games.

This is the Crossbell patch that's supposed to be the good one.

it's been making steady but slow progress for a while - you'll have to see where it's at when you're done with all three Sky games. There's a different patch circulating that's "done" but apparently not very good?

quote:

I'm also interested in any non-spoiler recommendations on what to watch for or small details to observe as I go through the series. I'm not exactly going to be keeping a notepad next to me and I'm likely only going to have time for one playthrough, so thoughts on what I shouldn't miss would be appreciated!

1. keep an eye out for everyone's good friends Anton and Ricky

2. some sidequests have annoyingly strict timing so be careful with when you progress the plot, and check the bracer's guild often

3. some quests are completely hidden; you might just wanna look these up

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Memnaelar posted:

Well, I got as far as the end of Chapter II of Trails of Cold Steel and decided that I like this series enough that I want to start it from the beginning and work my way through Sky, Crossbell, and finally Cold Steel (I'm sure I'll need to start from scratch on Cold Steel once I finally get back from it).

I'm currently playing Zero with the existing patch and it's pretty rough in some scenes but the source material is strong enough and comes through well enough that it's still in the running for my favorite Trails game despite that. there's a pretty easy to find version out there which is the PC release with the english text and the japanese voice acting patched in, I find having the voice acting really helps cover for the translation in terms of tone and production value even though i don't know much japanese.

The higher quality Zero translation that's being worked on was "80% complete" as of the start of the year so maybe that will show up in the not too distant future. you can play Cold Steel 1&2 before Crossbell if you need to drag things out in the hopes of them finishing it.

Ao is the same deal as Zero but apparently is in better shape with the existing translation.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Tales of Woe posted:

I'm currently playing Zero with the existing patch and it's pretty rough in some scenes but the source material is strong enough and comes through well enough that it's still in the running for my favorite Trails game despite that. there's a pretty easy to find version out there which is the PC release with the english text and the japanese voice acting patched in, I find having the voice acting really helps cover for the translation in terms of tone and production value even though i don't know much japanese.

The higher quality Zero translation that's being worked on was "80% complete" as of the start of the year so maybe that will show up in the not too distant future. you can play Cold Steel 1&2 before Crossbell if you need to drag things out in the hopes of them finishing it.

Ao is the same deal as Zero but apparently is in better shape with the existing translation.

It seems like the higher quality translation goes up something like 10% every 6 months, so I guess it could theoretically be out next year?

It was faster at first, but :shrug:

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Supremezero posted:

It seems like the higher quality translation goes up something like 10% every 6 months, so I guess it could theoretically be out next year?

It was faster at first, but :shrug:

There's a saying that in projects (especially fan projects), the first 90% take 10% of your time and the last 10% take 90% of your time. Especially when it's a non-profit project that runs entirely on personal motivation.

The n00b Avenger
Dec 21, 2014
A weird phenomenon since on the few projects I worked on the last 10% always went the fastest because I was just so happy to be close to the finishing line lol. Also because the stuff at the end is generally more exciting than the rest which makes it more exciting to work on.

It was always the middle portion that was the bummer for me.

Granted in this case it looks like they saved random NPCs for last so...

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Surprised to not see this anywhere, but Gamespot Gameplay has a half-hour video of the opening of CSIII
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaP2USH1cUU

EDIT
As much as I'm looking forward to this title, the weird doughy mouths are going to bother me the entire time.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jul 4, 2019

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
...wish they'd hurry up and announce a PC port of III (and IV while they're at it). I'd be bummed if I had to play the last two titles on something other than PC.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Memnaelar posted:

...wish they'd hurry up and announce a PC port of III (and IV while they're at it). I'd be bummed if I had to play the last two titles on something other than PC.

The PC release of Cold Steel was almost two years after the PS3 release and XSeed didn’t announce it until we’ll after CS2.

If it’s coming at all, it’ll probably be well after CS4 drops.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Also you're wishing for a nisa PC port

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
You can do it, you can buy a PS4 for for CS3 (if you don't have one already)!!! It's not as a terrible of a decision as spending 5 times as much to build a PC for Cyberpunk 2077--at least you can already tell what the quality of the game is like since it's been out for a year already!

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i bought a PS4 in large part because i anticipated the next 5 or so falcom games to have delayed or nonexistent PC versions after seeing that NISA was picking them up

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The PS5 is backwards compatible at least

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

https://gematsu.com/2019/07/falcom-teases-modern-ports-of-the-legend-of-heroes-zero-no-kiseki-and-ao-no-kiseki

Easy Allies: I know you get this question a lot, so this is not going to be a new one for you, but I know a lot of very passionate Legend of Heroes fans would love to play the Crossbell games (The Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki and The Legend of Heroes: Ao no Kiseki). Is there any chance of getting an official localization that people could enjoy?

Kondo: “The thing about both of those games is that they were originally developed for PSP in Japan, and then later on they received what’s called the Evolution versions of them in Japan, but the point is is that they’re no longer able to be played on modern console(s). So what we want to do as a company—what we’re actually starting to prepare for—is to be able to bring both of those games to modern console(s). So right now it’s still in the very early stages and there’s not much to be said about it, but as we do this and as those plans become a little bit more solidified, we would like to absolutely start talks with foreign publishers and things, and get that conversation going to bring these games finally out to fans here in the west.”

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I am hype for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Excited to play them in English in 2026