Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Weird question but is there any way to move the background decorations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Remember how in some Mario 3/World levels, even when you were flying up, the screen didn't move? Is there any way to replicate that?

Getting the flute in Smb3 fortress is a prime example of this.

Also, are those huge white blocks (SMB3 palette) in the game, that let you go behind the scenery?

The only way to prevent vertical scrolling in horizontal levels is to never place an object above the screen division line. Note that this prevents you from using horizontal camera locks or stopping the player from jumping on top of screen high obstacles.

Lugaloco posted:

You can't move them but there's a random chance that they appear every time you place a ground block. So if you don't want one there, delete the ground and replace it. And if you do want on there, do that but repeat until you have your decoration.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

I miss the SMB1 costumes. It was a really easy way to add theming to a level. I can appreciate that it was probably a pain to carry over with licensing and it doesn't really work with the multiplayer characters but still bummed.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Alright, one more before I dive into the spreadsheet levels:

Course ID:
WDG-DMK-J4G

Boiling Box Tower

Climb the tower and use the boxes. But be quick, the lava is rising!

This level is (get ready to be shocked) an autoscroller, but unlike the previous two, this one is vertical (and also the speed is the medium speed instead of the fastest)

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 30, 2019

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Lugaloco posted:

If it's part of the actual background, no. You can move the sprites that randomly appear when you're placing ground like bushes. Use the multi select and grab or copy the ground where it's sitting.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They really should've locked a Nina hat or something behind Yamamura's Dojo to make sure everyone watches the videos

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

This one is easier than my previous levels, but I was going for replicating a Mario 3 fortress feel.

Hammer Hideout
7QV-HNF-36G

I've got a great idea for a super short level next, but I need to play and comment on a few goon levels before I start that.

Help Im Alive posted:

They really should've locked a Nina hat or something behind Yamamura's Dojo to make sure everyone watches the videos

I've started leaving comments on bad Endless mode levels along the lines of "Go read dojo lesson ___ ."

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Finally uploaded my first course: Koopa Armada

KY1-LQK-3GF

It’s a redesign of a MM1 course. Any feedback appreciated

e: reuploaded after testing w new code

Plank Walker fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 30, 2019

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Making level: ~4 hours
Trying to think of ice and/or fire puns: 30 minutes

Ice to Heat You, C84-23B-GJF.

I can't help but want to make stages where you collect things, can I.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

J-Spot posted:

I made some changes to The Thwomper based on feedback from last night. I added a little more aesthetic flair to the level and made some modifications to make things a little more fair and intuitive. Please give it a try and let me know what you think!

The Thwomper
Course ID: M6P-ST4-8KF
Difficulty: Expert
Multiplayer friendly?: No

DalaranJ, I added this version to the spreadsheet. Can you delete the previous entry?

That looked much better than it did last night and it still plays really well. Good improvement!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

karma_coma posted:

I got stuck I think ... I missed one of the red coins and couldn't go back? I really like the layout. Nothing better than a good ghost house.

If it's the mystery block one you can open the locked door you used to leave and go back and grab it.

There shouldn't be any softlocks, I think?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I wonder why Nina replaced Mary O? Was her name too confusing for people who pronounce Mario's name wrong?

I know it can be both ways, but he says "Itsa me MAR-EE-OH", so thats canon. :colbert:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
either the maker itself is limited or im not seeing the proper buttons to hit, how do you do all the wacky poo poo the story mode courses and some player courses do? stuff like the spooky effects, changing the music, having the n64 and gamecube logos popup on the screen, that kinda poo poo. feels like a lot is locked behind something and i cant tell what.

i made a level but refuse to upload it until i gently caress around some more. basically a joke level with "death comes 4 u" in coins and then followed by boss characters x20. felt frustrated i couldnt make what i wanted to after getting inspired by all your levels and the story mode levels.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

My only complaint is I hate bowser fire and wish it didn't come with every bowser. Good level

Thanks! Maybe I'll experiment with the other sub-bosses in the future. (I kind of like Bowser's fire, though.)

The Kins posted:

It also reminded me of this handy tip that for some reason isn't documented anywhere in the game (probably because it was added to MM1 in a late patch): Tap and hold on a tier 2 powerup (fire flower, feather etc.) and select the mushroom modifier to turn it into a multi-tier powerup ala official Mario games - it'll be a mushroom if the player is small, or the proper powerup if they aren't.

Thanks for the tip! I was trying to figure this out yesterday. They should definitely tell you that up-front.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

DorianGravy - Infiltrate Bowser's Airship
Really good classic level! No real complaints here. Only thing I'd say to be aware of is that the magikoopas in the first part were kinda useless. They kept teleporting onto the wrong side of walls and not doing anything :v: Good job guys.

Haha, I like your picture of a magikoopa firing into a wall in the comments. Those initial magikoopas are supposed to be airship captains. That's why they are in their own little rooms with windows and transport outside to confront you.

karma_coma posted:

How are you guys making the thumbnail things?

Maybe this isn't the best method, but I do the following: 1) Take a screenshot with the Switch's screenshot button, 2) Go to the screenshot and add text on the Switch, 3) Upload it to Facebook, setting it so that only I can see it, and 4) Right click and download it on my computer.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Vikar Jerome posted:

either the maker itself is limited or im not seeing the proper buttons to hit, how do you do all the wacky poo poo the story mode courses and some player courses do? stuff like the spooky effects, changing the music, having the n64 and gamecube logos popup on the screen, that kinda poo poo. feels like a lot is locked behind something and i cant tell what.

i made a level but refuse to upload it until i gently caress around some more. basically a joke level with "death comes 4 u" in coins and then followed by boss characters x20. felt frustrated i couldnt make what i wanted to after getting inspired by all your levels and the story mode levels.

Tap the brick character in the top left and it'll switch to frog. Frog makes noise.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

Most of what you described is in sound effects. Hit the frog in the upper left to access it.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

That looked much better than it did last night and it still plays really well. Good improvement!

Your feedback last night was helpful. Thanks for giving it another look!

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

You can't move them but there's a random chance that they appear every time you place a ground block. So if you don't want one there, delete the ground and replace it. And if you do want on there, do that but repeat until you have your decoration.

You can move them with copy or multigrab, this includes airship windows, bg ground fences, or particular patterns of ghost house damage that you like

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Course ID:
WDG-DMK-J4G

Boiling Box Tower

This level is (get ready to be shocked) an autoscroller, but unlike the previous two, this one is vertical (and also the speed is the medium speed instead of the fastest)

I like the concept a lot, and I enjoyed what I saw so far, but it was a little too difficult for my liking. How hard is it supposed to be? I kept dying pretty early on where (I assume) you need to use a second box on the right to get past the horizontal vine, then go back to your first box. If I tried riding the left box, I would get stuck under the vine, but if I threw the right box to the right and rode that, my left box would get stuck under the vine and stop rising with the lava. If you want a hard level, I guess this is fine, but if you want something more approachable, I would suggest holding the player's hand a little more (maybe slow down the autoscroll more?) and making some of the vine "puzzles" a little more forgiving. That said, great work!

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

My second level is up, SMW traditional style. You're meant to be following Abe the Pug's escape as he heads downward into the caves, so it's a vertical level.

Y7K-P6X-VPF

How are you guys posting the fancy thumbnails? Do you need a game bridge to do that, or is there something simple I'm missing?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Alright, here's the pitch. Everybody likes space. Everybody likes wall jumps. But what if there were wall jumps... in space?

Kick Off Into Space!
FWW-TWM-3TF

The low gravity of space lets you get a lot more air off wall jumps, so I made a level which lets you play around with that. I think it's a bit harder than my previous levels, but it still isn't too hard. Have fun among the stars!

Also people keep tagging my levels "Short and sweet", but I feel like they're pretty normal length... maybe I should make them longer? I like it when levels only take 2-3 minutes to complete though, I think that's the right length for a Mario stage.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Making level: ~4 hours
Trying to think of ice and/or fire puns: 30 minutes

Ice to Heat You, C84-23B-GJF.

I can't help but want to make stages where you collect things, can I.

This level is super busy. It's okay to let the player breathe, especially when you're already applying pressure with the rising lava. I couldn't really hold onto a power up between the cheep-cheep snipes, the podoboo snipes, and weird icicle hit boxes (not the randomly scattered munchers, though; I always avoided them).

Going up and down to reset the lava was a cool concept, but because the level was so packed with hazards I wound up poking my head in and then running back once I had an idea of what was there. Some required jumps were also super low giving the player literally four seconds to make it and get out.

The platforming was solid and the idea of making the player rush and then reset worked well!

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Macaluso posted:

Course ID:
WDG-DMK-J4G

Boiling Box Tower

This level is a motherfucker

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

DorianGravy posted:

I like the concept a lot, and I enjoyed what I saw so far, but it was a little too difficult for my liking. How hard is it supposed to be? I kept dying pretty early on where (I assume) you need to use a second box on the right to get past the horizontal vine, then go back to your first box. If I tried riding the left box, I would get stuck under the vine, but if I threw the right box to the right and rode that, my left box would get stuck under the vine and stop rising with the lava. If you want a hard level, I guess this is fine, but if you want something more approachable, I would suggest holding the player's hand a little more (maybe slow down the autoscroll more?) and making some of the vine "puzzles" a little more forgiving. That said, great work!

Are you talking about the section with the one horizontal creeper or the gauntlet at the end? Cause if it's the gauntlet the key is the arrows, if you can manage to throw your boxes in the center you're mostly safe. The plants can't really get you and it's pretty much just a straight shot to the top. If you're talking about the section before that one with the one horizontal creeper (which is the section in my screenshot) you're meant to get off the box you were on to get to that second box, grab the box, go up to the top platform and then wait for the lava to catch up for a second and throw the box into the lava. It is meant to be somewhat difficult.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

For my current level concept I need the builder hammer and three high stacks of enemies. The hammer is 3D World only and 3D World doesn't allow for enemy stacks. :negative:

Edit: 3D World is so limited compared to the others. There's no one-way passages either. I was going to build a Wrecking Crew stage but there's no tools to control the player's pathing up or down in the 3D World tile set other than the ground itself and semisolids. Give me the hammer in other modes Nintendo!

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 30, 2019

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

nrook posted:

Alright, here's the pitch. Everybody likes space. Everybody likes wall jumps. But what if there were wall jumps... in space?

Kick Off Into Space!
FWW-TWM-3TF

The low gravity of space lets you get a lot more air off wall jumps, so I made a level which lets you play around with that. I think it's a bit harder than my previous levels, but it still isn't too hard. Have fun among the stars!

Also people keep tagging my levels "Short and sweet", but I feel like they're pretty normal length... maybe I should make them longer? I like it when levels only take 2-3 minutes to complete though, I think that's the right length for a Mario stage.

Fun level! I especially liked the sequence of jumps toward the end with the flying koopas. And nice use of coins to indicate where to go. The only thing I didn't like was the little enemy that shot spikes. The spikes are hard to notice at first, so I ran right into one without seeing it. Perhaps you could replace it with more obvious dangers in future levels, such as cannons or bullet bills.

As for "short and sweet", this one was probably a bit shorter than normal levels, but I thought the length was fine. If you didn't already know, you can physically lengthen stages and add a sub-level in the level maker, which gives you a whole lot more room to work with, if you want to make longer levels.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

nrook posted:

Kick Off Into Space!
FWW-TWM-3TF

Good level. I thought it was a good length and any longer the concept might have started to wear thin. A lot of people pad their levels past the point that they should just to fill up all the space.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Bowser's Boss Bash
7N5-TQ1-G8G

Part platformer, part boss rush. This one is set in the middle of an airship invasion, leading into storming Bowser's Castle. I actually tried to make this one not bad.

Two Beans fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 30, 2019

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
So I've made 2 levels just to get myself rolling

Shell Games in the Desert

22M-0SY-G6G

Just a short course with a lot of kicking shells around.

Flee through fierce flames!

TKK-D5Y-WTF

Lots and lots o', fireballs have fun.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

nrook posted:

Kick Off Into Space!
FWW-TWM-3TF

It's a fine wall jump level, but I found the low gravity tough to get a feel for (that one's not on you). I had a lot of trouble hitting the switches with any regularity due to having no feel for the movement in that situation.

nrook posted:

Don't worry about that. Levels should be as long as you need them to be. Do you have a good idea for another obstacle? Sure, keep building out. Have you done everything you want with the concept? Then end it there. I find myself compressed because I want to include two or three more set pieces than the maximum size, but at the same time I'm also looking at what's the right length to challenge somebody without them getting upset so in some cases I'm working with about one-third or one-half the maximum size. Basically, don't worry too much about length, as long as you're not padding things it's good.

I will admit that I expand the whole thing all the way just so I have room to work even when I'm building something shorter. My mountain climbing stage has so much empty space...

Dirty Deeds Done posted:

Flee through fierce flames!

TKK-D5Y-WTF

Lots and lots o', fireballs have fun.

Just say no to enemy spam. There wasn't any organization to the challenges here, just a bunch of stuff on the screen. Focus and refine. You want a lot of fireballs after Mario. Okay, build on that by structuring challenges that let the fireballs pressure the player. Placing down any enemy willy-nilly doesn't feed back to that. And just placing fireballs everywhere instead of placing them where they interact with how the player moves through the level isn't interesting.

Also, I stuck in a hole I couldn't get out of after going through the teleporter.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 30, 2019

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
More Feedback!
You Suffer, But Why? 3JD-9Q4-R9G
Enemy Spam: The Level. If you can get Yoshi and the cloud mushroom you will probably be able to finish it.
Blackout Basement 74R-8PD-DHF
Good Level, it can be a little Simon says-y but it is short enough that it doesn't matter.
Revenge of Dr. Molenaut 1CD-2V7-TJG
Making the red coins optional was a good choice, given that if you didn't, the level would be Revenge of Dr. Softlock.
I Like Big Slopes 5T2-22F-Q1H
Level just needed a little more playtesting, for example, you know that the red koopa is at the bottom of the map, anyone playing for the first time does not, so some coins to scream "Big Jampu!" would be better. Also, I kinda wanted to see platforms of tracks, to better give the ski-slope vibe.
Hello Maker, or: It’s All Downhill From Here WSB-WHX-CYG
I appreciate the hidden block reward for my stupidity. Other than that, not much to say.
Starter Level 1-1ish Y3M-W6W-QJG
I can actually do an in-depth analysis for once! Your goal was to make a level that could be at the start of a mario game, you failed at this objective. Lets begin: The level starts with a clear area, and a staircase. This is fine. Then you reach the top of the staircase, and there's a block, halfway cutoff by the top of the map. This looks horrible. Moving on, there's a pipe you have to high bounce off a goomba to get on top of. Or hidden block So, a new player is supposed to just "know" holding jump will fling them all the way up... into a pirhanna plant? Then there's a couple gaps that are a little wide for 1-1, but you can walk jump over them, so they're acceptable. Then there's a secret area. (good, though I would have put a power up down there) When you come out there's a fire-spitting phiranna plant, this is only bad because its the 4th enemy type you've introduced in as many screens. Then there's the wall. At the end. The first time this happens is in world 2-1, and there they put a spring down in addition to the hidden block. And a new player is supposed to know to search everywhere how a hidden block how? Then there is an enemy on the staircase, which doesn't happen until 3-1. In conclusion, your level isn't bad, 1-1 is just a masterpiece of design.
Punch the Switch, Mario! F94-NL0-15G
Concept is fine, it just lasts way too long. Also you can grab most of the pow blocks.
Jungle Crawl 1HS - 1K0 - T1H
Oh, it's that level I was speedrunning. Everything up to the first secret area is fine, the problem there is that coming out, you can't outrun the vine, and have to wait. Throwing a star in the secret area probably would fix this. In area 2, getting the second ant trooper pipe to start working takes a bit of time, or you can just walljump your way up. Choices are good! This is also where I had an ant trooper climb onto the creeper, which was just weird. Ground pound or damage boost, or if you are really fast you can bounce off the incoming creeper. Nice. The water is slow if you are not big Mario, and the 30 coin is great. Bouncing off the flying ants can be weird, as they will collide with each other if you don't make the first one. Or just damage boost through. The downward creeper is only a challenge if you are speedrunning. As i said before, if you fall in the water after the clear pipes its a softlock. Grab the coins for an additional challenge or don't! (Or damage boost your way tot he end of the creeper so you can bounce onto the pipe platform) And the ending is great, you can wall jump up the middle or bounce off a creeper and take a side path. Sorry that me and the other guy messed up your clear rate. but with over 25% likes, it should even out eventually.
Down Unda 1HL-D06-GVF
Level could use some more signposting, or at least another block on the snake. Maybe a 10 coin over the diagonal coins at the start so you know to jump and not just run off.
Global Warming ~磯焼け~ P5V-CC0-J3G
Oh, the oceans evaporated, now all the fish are dead, Funny.
Podoboo Peril 3VP-FHN-VWG
I would have preferred the first 1up challenge be reversed, or a 1 way floor be used, as I climbed in there as big Mario, and mistakes were made. 2nd one up, some conveyors to speed up the reset would have helped. If you aren't quick to leave, boom boom can lock himself against the 1 way gate, moving that up a couple blocks so you can leave even if hes against the wall would be an improvement. The Bowser at the end was unnecessary,
Revenge of the Wooden Saucers WN2-2DJ-RWG
Fantastic level, only issue I had was Bowser Jr. got off his track and started.. flying around jankily as he does.
Break the Brick Blockade 5RF-QM6-FLG
I got confused with the "Kill the skipsqueaks" part, as the bullets were breaking the castle too, making me think that was the solution. Fix for that is just to see a skipsqueak get a bullet in the face, maybe around the optional 10 coin section. The car section is out of place thematically, but its also fun, so, whatever. I also got stuck in a crate at the end. Engine is weird.
Mountain Cave Adventure 3GM-C3K-C0G
Wut. There's a fake kaizo thing that gives you a shellmet. It ended with me getting hit by the twomp-thing and walking to the goaltape. Wut.
Jungle Hijinxs 5PB-PKC-FVF
Great, now do it in 3dland with barrels crates!
Pipe Mountain 1HB-483-4WF
Good work here, a lot of it is ugly, but that's just M3 Jungle. I wish there was something to the left of the "finish" pipe, as you can swim over there, Use that negative space!
Night of the Living Drybones K72-DXW-68G
As the comment said, there's a softlock at the start. Also the bossfight is too high up to see the bob-ombs.
Kaizo Snakeblock 7DP-55B-KPG
Level is very fair, if you wanted to play a hard snake block challenge, here you go.
June Hills HG6-X4J-7RF
At the end of the vertical section, i got hit by one of the two twomps when they were offscreen, and the last jump needs some coins, I didn't know where I was landing so I yolo'd it.
DOOMSHIP KML-3HB-15G
A bit too heavy on the enemies, the fire flowers should be in ? boxes (For multiplayer) and dying because I walked off the edge in the black space sucked.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

J-Spot posted:

I made some changes to The Thwomper based on feedback from last night. I added a little more aesthetic flair to the level and made some modifications to make things a little more fair and intuitive. Please give it a try and let me know what you think!

The Thwomper
Course ID: M6P-ST4-8KF
Difficulty: Expert
Multiplayer friendly?: No

DalaranJ, I added this version to the spreadsheet. Can you delete the previous entry?

Well done! That ending bit nearly got me when I almost thought I had to take my time through it.

I'd say the only improvement that should be added is a tiny bit of direction at the start, maybe add some coins so the player knows they can jump the ledge.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I finally made a level I feel is worth sharing, and it's a western.

Showdown at the Old Koopa Corral - 7DW-QNQ-7KF

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is there a way to test a level with the switches set to the off position? I keep having to place a switch in the spot I'm testing from.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I took entirely too long to make this and now I'm like 100 levels behind in the spreadsheet.

That theme screams bandit lair to me, and well, who said a plant can't be a bandit?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Wasn't there a way to make a stage link or something so you could click it in the thread and it would be bookmarked for you on the WiiU?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
That was https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/ which doesn't work for Mario Maker 2.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Wasn't there a way to make a stage link or something so you could click it in the thread and it would be bookmarked for you on the WiiU?

Yes, there was.

Let me anticipate your next question.

No, it doesn't.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Coolie Ghost posted:

The Dreaming in the Fever House
FTS-0C7-C1G

Mild puzzle-solving & exploration "story" level, & my first real go at a thematically cohesive level. Inspired by Lovecraft, Symplectic, as well as the night terrors I have where a skeleton tries to suck my dick

Not really understanding how to progress past the spikey helmet. Like the aesthetic though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Hurry the hell up Nintendo!