Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Frank Dillinger posted:

On the upside, you’re putting miles on a car that isn’t yours for a while, right? Weird that the ETA for the pump is so far off, should be like 3-4 weeks max unless there aren’t any available world wide for some reason.

Good point

ROAD TRIP! You boys like mexico?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I am totally up for putting a shitload of miles on a soon-to-be-certified-pre-owned C-class. Hell, if we're going to Mexico, there's probably a class in NORRA it would do okay in.

Frank Dillinger posted:

On the upside, you’re putting miles on a car that isn’t yours for a while, right? Weird that the ETA for the pump is so far off, should be like 3-4 weeks max unless there aren’t any available world wide for some reason.

My dad nuked a brake master cylinder on a week-old hybrid Pathfinder (during the brief window where Nissan sold that car); they had to not only order one from Japan but apparently commission one specially from the tiny-rear end factory that made them. Took almost two months.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Someone's trying a lazy flip on cop tahoes.

https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=ach-shop&vndsld=1&srchtype=&lci=&sr=1&str=21&ltnf=1&lcn=482487&lct=L&sf=ferm-clos
https://www.rbauction.com/2014-chevrolet-tahoe-sport-utility-vehicle?invId=11324037&id=ci&auction=edmonton-ab-2019133

https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=ach-shop&vndsld=1&srchtype=&lci=&sr=1&str=31&ltnf=1&lcn=482407&lct=L&sf=ferm-clos
https://www.rbauction.com/2014-chevrolet-tahoe-sport-utility-vehicle?invId=11324038&id=ci&auction=edmonton-ab-2019133

If they succeed, i would imagine it's the end of cheap tahoes. It'll turn into a dollar auction.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yes they are. I had no idea the mounties actually bought 2WD Tahoes.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Seems pretty shady that the RB listing doesn’t mention it’s an ex-police vehicle.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

Good point

ROAD TRIP! You boys like mexico?

I mean I've been pondering a Vocho fly-n-drive, it would be nice to have a support vehicle not designed in the 1930s.

Actually if we put a trailer hitch on that C class we could drag the bug back faster and more comfortably...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Frank Dillinger posted:

Seems pretty shady that the RB listing doesn’t mention it’s an ex-police vehicle.
Maybe a little, but if you're buying a car at an auction and can't pick out an ex-law enforcement vehicle after looking at it in person or photos in about 5 seconds, you probably shouldn't be buying vehicles at an auction.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Frank Dillinger posted:

Look at the carfaxes though. 45 services in 160k, most at the dealer.

That's new oil every ~3500km.

Makes me want one even more now to rip the lovely body off an put a cadillac eldo body on.

If these jerks drive prices up i'll be mildly upset.

e: They went for $5500 a piece. Even if they knew a salesman and could get the 10% rate, that's $4950 a piece paid out and they paid $4,888.80 a piece after taxes from the gov auction.

they would have had to get a registration in their name to put it in the ritchie bros auction at 85 bucks a piece, so they lost at least $20 each for all their efforts.

Spending a couple hundred on a console and some door panels probably would have earned them a couple grand more.

They lost at least $40, but it's all worth it because seeing the carfaxes on them makes me want one even more.

e: They lost at least 5 grand on a charger too.

https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=ach-shop&vndsld=1&srchtype=&lci=&sr=1&str=1&ltnf=1&lcn=481343&lct=L&sf=ferm-clos
https://www.rbauction.com/2012-dodge-charger-automobile?invId=11325571&id=ci&auction=edmonton-ab-2019133

not the exact same car like the yukons up there, but that gen of charger rarely goes under $10k on gcsurplus.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 22, 2019

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Not too sure who would have a need for it but there is an intact SHO engine at Barlow Pick n Pull. Somebody pull it and make use of it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ooooooooh, that gives me dirty ideas.

Did you put a breaker bar on it and see if she spins?

Also, I'm looking for, ideally, 2 GM LFX 3.6s, so if you spot one let me know. Row52 showed an impala in Edmonton, but it wasn't there when i went.

I might end up settling for 2 3.6 pentastars, because caravans seem to be more common in those yards.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 30, 2019

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Powershift posted:

ooooooooh, that gives me dirty ideas.

Did you put a breaker bar on it and see if she spins?

Also, I'm looking for, ideally, 2 GM LFX 3.6s, so if you spot one let me know. Row52 showed an impala in Edmonton, but it wasn't there when i went.

I might end up settling for 2 3.6 pentastars, because caravans seem to be more common in those yards.

Building a ghetto V12?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Frank Dillinger posted:

Building a ghetto V12?

Yes.

Still researching coupling options. It'll be easier once i know how much space i have between crankshafts, but i would like a clutched coupler so i could run 1 engine for 30mpg or 2 engines for 600hp.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 30, 2019

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Chain couplers or a solid rigid coupler is going to give you biggest bang for the buck. I wouldn't bother with a clutching mechanism to split them. You're just adding complexity and your $$ - high torque clutches are expensive. If you don't need the power the motor(s) will hardly be working anyhow.

https://www.rexnord.com/products-services/process-motion-control/pt-drive-components/clutches/bsd-pressure-operated-clutches

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I was thinking a guibo style coupler to avoid any weird vibration transfer or bearing loading form imperfect alignment.

The clutch thing is probably out the window because if i've got a switch that says 300hp and 600hp, i'm probably never gonna touch it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yes, that would be fine. Alignment for anything like that is super, super critical. Even if a coupler allows for some misalignment, any misalignment significantly reduces the life expectancy. Take absolute care that it's as dead nuts on as humanly possible.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

Yes, that would be fine. Alignment for anything like that is super, super critical. Even if a coupler allows for some misalignment, any misalignment significantly reduces the life expectancy. Take absolute care that it's as dead nuts on as humanly possible.

Yeah, Basically what i'm planning is bolting both engines directly to a ~4 foot long C-channel and welding a chunk of C channel clocked 90 degrees out to the stock motor mounts, and sandwiching a hockey puck piece of rubber in there. Basically how all heavy truck motor mounts work. I still think i'll have to find a way to secure them together near the top,

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
What what kind of crazy machine is this going into?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Frank Dillinger posted:

What what kind of crazy machine is this going into?

I feel as though having one of the only cars built in the last 50 years with 50 inches of engine bay, i have a duty to follow this through.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Y’know, American cars like that should cylinders in denominations of 8.

LS1 blocks are 23” each, plus a few more for the balancer.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I feel like an over center clutch would be just about ideal if you did want the option, but you would need a lot of reduction in whatever linkage you built because they take one hell of a pull to snap in or out.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Frank Dillinger posted:

Y’know, American cars like that should cylinders in denominations of 8.

LS1 blocks are 23” each, plus a few more for the balancer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln-Zephyr :colbert:

e: found a ford 3.7 on row52, but i might have to dig it out the back seat.

https://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/1FTEX1EM5BFC80226

Why don't they put engines in the back where they'll be safe :argh:

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 30, 2019

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I mean, old two-cylinder Hondas put the chain sprocket between the cylinders and they were fine.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm thinking of buying a 6.0L powerstroke

LoL if I can get one cheap enough and bulletproof it...

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Our 2007 Ford F-350 XL Crew Cab 4X4 Dually displayed in White is an excellent choice! Powered by a proven 6.0 Liter V8 that offers plenty of energy while mated to an Automatic Transmission. This Four Wheel Drive will work hard so you don't have to while rewarding with decent economy. The muscular exterior reveals chrome bumpers, prominent wheels, and running boards. Our F-350 pampers you with supportive seats, power accessories, AM/FM/CD player audio system, steering wheel audio controls, and so much more.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A 6.0 would have to be drat near free for me to gently caress with it. The only modern diesel i would even bother with is the duramax.

e: I hope it's not 24 grand with 143,600kms

e:

It's hard to get a 6 liter over $15k, pretty easy to get it under $5k

Powershift fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 1, 2019

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Haha yeah I know it's an idiot move.

But if you do an egr delete, and swap that ficm module for an aftermarket, and the remote oil cooler/sand collector the. The engines are actually reliable if you catch them early.

I need a flat deck truck, don't want to pay Cummins prices and just generally don't like the Dodge trucks. It would be a work truck and travel trailer hauler.

Under 100,000km... I wonder if they would take $8 for it.

Edit: also it's a manual trans.

2006 Ford F350 4x4 Cab and Chassis,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...ent=app_android

Price: $ 10,000

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Don't forget head bolts.

Clean 7.3s are almost out-pricing early 6.7s now.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2001-ford-f350-lariat-dually-only-159kms-v8-7-3l/1428280998?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Just looking at the most recent auction

https://www.rbauction.com/2005-gmc-c5500-4x4-flatbed-truck?invId=10792978&id=ar&auction=edmonton-ab-2018224

You coulda been rolling in style. throw some 8 inch stacks on er, some Michelin XZLs

Or think of all the fun you could have had with a picker. No need for ramps, just throw some straps on the cage of the side by side.

https://www.rbauction.com/2003-gmc-3500-4x4-wpm-4622-boom-truck?invId=11183735&id=ar&auction=edmonton-ab-2019129

e: god drat, pre-emissions 4x4 C5500s go for nothing..........

like, nothing nothing

I wonder how short you could make that frame.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 1, 2019

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

jonathan posted:

The engines are actually reliable if you catch them early.

Well sure, but then the trans becomes a glaring weak link very quickly.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Holy gently caress I want a top kick

And I'd swap the decal to say top cuck

Edit: no good deals on Kijiji or Facebook. Can I check listings on Ritchie Bros and the other auctions without creating logins ?

Edit edit: apparently I have a login and the app installed already haha

jonathan fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 5, 2019

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

It's shocking how long it took me to realize those last gen top kicks are just a stubby Savannavan body on a heavier frame. The flip forward hood disguises it really well.

E: someone needs to get one with the right wheelbase to put a full length savanna body on it and make a modern boogie van on 445/65r22.5s

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 5, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

NumbersMatching320 posted:

It's shocking how long it took me to realize those last gen top kicks are just a stubby Savannavan body on a heavier frame. The flip forward hood disguises it really well.

E: someone needs to get one with the right wheelbase to put a full length savanna body on it and make a modern boogie van on 445/65r22.5s

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My buddy has an ford f650 on super singles. With the Allison trans, Cummins 5.9 and Harley Davidson interior.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Not sure if it's 4x4. It wasn't when he bought it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If he works around Rimbey and pulls a lifted fifth wheel with it, i've seen him out there with it

If not, there's more than one of em like that running aroound.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

If he works around Rimbey and pulls a lifted fifth wheel with it, i've seen him out there with it

If not, there's more than one of em like that running aroound.

Nope it's in Surrey. They used the truck as a backdrop for group photos at a friend's funeral. 🤔

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fuckin classy

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah that, but less glass and more wizard mural.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

NumbersMatching320 posted:

Yeah that, but less glass and more wizard mural.

I would also like to put in my vote for 1980s Peterbilt-style chrome exhaust stacks behind the front doors.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I would also like to put in my vote for 1980s Peterbilt-style chrome exhaust stacks behind the front doors.

Chrome side pipes, man. Gotta visually hide those frame rails.

Also, Frank Frazettas daughter sells all of the high res art work of her late father, so a full vinyl side mural is possible for not much money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
If you do vinyl you can cover the windows up like on a bus ad too.