Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

neat, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
I keep seeing a green tornado thing when partied witha dancer, anyone know what it does? Cant' find it in the job guide.

Meicyn
Aug 22, 2006

I think one of my favorite aspects of Shadowbringers aside from all the other things folks have mentioned, is that they took the time to model a lot of things that your character holds in different moments, like a nectarine. I don't know why I love that little detail, but it's great.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

I keep seeing a green tornado thing when partied witha dancer, anyone know what it does? Cant' find it in the job guide.

Probably Fan Dance 2 if it's on the enemy, or one of the step actions if it's from the dancer

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

How are the queues on Excalibur?

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Sometimes you have to wait 30-60 seconds to get in.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

that almost sounds like the new garuda AoE which took me a bit to realize, but otherwise it's probably Fan Dance yeah

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

Gunbreaker so far is pretty easy.

First 1, 2, 3 combo gets a cartridge, then two AOEs get another, then go into my cartridge based 1, 2, 3 combo.

Doing the AoE on single target isn't really worth it to get your cartridge faster, both due to lower DPS and missing out on reapplying Brutal Shell

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i'm eating breakfast so I can't check right now, but what about vice-versa? burst strike into gnashing?

gnashing doesn't share an icd with other weaponskills and I'm trying to figure out why that is.

So it can count as a weaponskill for effects that need that but still have a cooldown.

Burst Strike is your spender whenever GF is on cooldown, because it's also on the GCD. It's also used for GCD adjustments because sometimes GF will dealign from No Mercy windows, so you can Burst Strike to go for another GCD cooldown. You'll also want to try and fit two Burst Strikes into a No Mercy window, if possible.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 30, 2019

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
How long should I realistically be waiting for an AAR / Shadowbringers key? My wife has decided she wants to play FFXIV with me and 3+ish hours ago from the Sony store I bought her the AAR base / Shadowbringers pre-order but it seems to be stuck in pending after I did the verification. I know when I bought my pre-order I received my early access key/goodies within 3 minutes.

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
The Star Sapphire music box seems to play the ShB theme. Did it always do this? Is it not the theme or am I going crazy?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

What does Daily Roulette: Main Scenario have? It says it's 8 man fights, so I was thinking primal fights but trials have their own daily roulette? And in general, is it worth doing these daily dungeons/leveling/trails for exp?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

What does Daily Roulette: Main Scenario have? It says it's 8 man fights, so I was thinking primal fights but trials have their own daily roulette? And in general, is it worth doing these daily dungeons/leveling/trails for exp?

It has the 8 man dungeons from the end of the 2.0 msq(castrum and praetorium). The unskippable cutscenes take nearly an hour, but you also get nearly a full level for little effort. If that's worth your time is up to you.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Skanker posted:

The Star Sapphire music box seems to play the ShB theme. Did it always do this? Is it not the theme or am I going crazy?

It plays a variation of the Warrior of Light's theme, which the SHB theme also incorporates.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

TulliusCicero posted:

Also did Yoko Taro actually help write this main quest, because man things got dark before I even hit level 71.

no, it's natsuko ishikawa, the woman who has been writing all the good parts of ffxiv's story since ysayle

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
In the First, if a story or series of events were particularly grim, would they say it was light?

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

funkymonks posted:

In the First, if a story or series of events were particularly grim, would they say it was light?

The lightest timeline

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man. I just finished Shadowbringers and I gotta say, that kicked Stormblood's poo poo up and down the curve. They *nailed* this expansion. The mere fact they made me care about Minfilia and the Warrior of Darkness as characters is loving bonkers.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Asimo posted:

So I've used DNC a bit and it constantly feels like I'm doing something wrong, but everything is exploding anyway. Just so I know that I am not crazy, is this the general play flow?
  1. Partner one of the other DPS.
  2. Hit the ranged or AOE combo as appropriate.
  3. Hit whatever buttons light up.
  4. Dance whenever you can because you become a blender.
Yep. So far (up to level 62) I maintain it's more like SAM than anything else, albeit simpler. Because so much of your dungeon damage is tied to AOEs in a circle around you, you want to stay right in the middle of groups of enemies. DNC should never be interrupted by anything - you should always be moving and attacking and you have the mobility to never step in an AOE. Because you're mobile and have a very simple rotation it's more about learning the dungeons. As far as I can tell this early on, a huge amount of your DPS is just not letting yourself be stopped by anything. Presumably the Spirit Gauge will change things a lot, but we'll see. I'm interested in seeing whether the 80 capstone is going to be useful or not. From the description it could go either way, since it looks a lot like Meditate, only for some reason it's the big final ability for the class.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Man. I just finished Shadowbringers and I gotta say, that kicked Stormblood's poo poo up and down the curve. They *nailed* this expansion. The mere fact they made me care about Minfilia and the Warrior of Darkness as characters is loving bonkers.
How much have you played over the last couple days?

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together

funkymonks posted:

Dark Knight should change to Light Knight while they're in the First.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

How much have you played over the last couple days?

Significantly more than I should have!

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Sirbloody posted:

How long should I realistically be waiting for an AAR / Shadowbringers key? My wife has decided she wants to play FFXIV with me and 3+ish hours ago from the Sony store I bought her the AAR base / Shadowbringers pre-order but it seems to be stuck in pending after I did the verification. I know when I bought my pre-order I received my early access key/goodies within 3 minutes.

The Square Enix may as well do their purchases by hand by people shuffling papers around and stamping on each email or whatever. Took me a couple hours or something to get my purchase to go through. Not unusual, merely very slow.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Leal posted:

What I mean about heals being bad are people playing it, its making me tempted to switch to a healer. On the low end, I've had a guy who just constantly spammed cure over and over and over. I'll be at 100% hp and they're still using cure on me.

On the high end, I abandoned the 71 dungeon after 50 minutes at the last boss cause the healer just wouldn't.stop.loving.standing.in.the.bad. I shoulda called it at the first boss when the jackass failed each and every single aoe part, wouldn't run to the one safe spot and seemed to actively run from the safe spot.

I had to always use blackest night on them whenever the aoes happened to try and keep them alive, except failing each time gave a vulnerability debuff so eventually it would one shot them despite it. Made me wish I can use rescue as a tank.

And this is the case for Trusts.

I do not regret doing dungeons with Trusts first time through.

I may be consigning myself to 30-35 minute dungeon runs, but at least I know trusts are consistent. On my first run of a dungeon, I'll forsake the good parties to avoid the bad parties.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Trusts are justified in their entirety by bringing Alphinaud into Dohn Mheg

Just... keep an eye on him during the last boss

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh my god they removed so many buttons from my low level Bard (50s). Feels like.. a bit easier? I’m sure that’s better when I. Have a lot more stuff to keep track of but if I was lower level right now it would feel a bit boring.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

With regards to people complaining about Trusts:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I'm also pretty weirded out at having less buttons on MNK in my mid 50s so I feel you

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gruckles posted:

It has the 8 man dungeons from the end of the 2.0 msq(castrum and praetorium). The unskippable cutscenes take nearly an hour, but you also get nearly a full level for little effort. If that's worth your time is up to you.

It takes 30-45 minutes depending on which one you get

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Giott is a drunk idiot and its the best. I love my stupid bearded son.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
CM takes about 25 minutes and Prae takes about 45-50 minutes.

I prefer Prae 100% of the time. CM is a pain in the rear end. Prae is fairly straightforward. CM has annoying as gently caress bosses, having to wait on Cid, and the cutscenes aren't long enough for me to get distracted with other things. Prae is just a bunch of fighting and 5 minute cutscenes, allowing me to do other things. Prae also gives over double CM's XP

However, both should be replaced with Trusts and have the instances removed from duty finder.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
Hi, my name is Solo Wing Pixy, or Estelle Auberlaint in-game, and I am officially here to eat poo poo. This expansion's already really good, and I'm just hitting level 73 and its matching quests. Even the job changes that I complained about for ungodly amounts of text are, at worst, mildly annoying and most of them pretty much make sense in context! Though I'm still trying to feel out SMN, having not-Aetherflow up a lot and having to wait on DWT is messing with my head something fierce.

And holy crap is this expansion pretty. I'm not sure if they improved their animation engine or if it's just better direction, but my character is way more expressive than they were before, and honestly it makes the plotline feel a lot more personal than ShB or even HW did. Oh, and the areas and such are gorgeous.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Speaking of healing, im more confident in the design simply because they actually delivered on dealing more damage. People who struggled on shinryu might not be able to do the dungeons this expansion. Hell, i had a healer glad i was using merciful eyes instead of insulted.

Mormon Mother
Jan 23, 2008
Self diagnosed!
I'm reposting this because the last thread closed shortly after I posted it there. I have a key for FFXIV ARR (steam version maybe?) that I don't need, and it's free to a loving home. My only ask is that you use me as your referrer, but if you don't want to it's not a big deal. If you want it you can PM me or post in the thread and I'll see it eventually.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bussamove posted:

Giott is a drunk idiot and its the best. I love my stupid bearded son.

Oh, I know what you're thinking... "That Giott, always downing one ale or another," you think to yourself, "And so good at it, too! I'm uncontrollably jealous! I just can't take any more!" And you quietly weep, on the inside.

Zoig posted:

Speaking of healing, im more confident in the design simply because they actually delivered on dealing more damage. People who struggled on shinryu might not be able to do the dungeons this expansion. Hell, i had a healer glad i was using merciful eyes instead of insulted.

They went a good direction with it, too. It's not like Bardam's where everything has a mini tankbuster that can 100-0 some undergeared tank in a second, but healing pressure is substantially higher overall, especially on bosses. The second boss of Dohn Mheg was making me scramble more than I have in years, and it's fun as hell with all the new tools you're given specifically to deal with that.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!

Mormon Mother posted:

I'm reposting this because the last thread closed shortly after I posted it there. I have a key for FFXIV ARR (steam version maybe?) that I don't need, and it's free to a loving home. My only ask is that you use me as your referrer, but if you don't want to it's not a big deal. If you want it you can PM me or post in the thread and I'll see it eventually.

If I didn't just buy my wife an AAR key (4ish hours now.... come on Square). I would have jumped on this.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Sirbloody posted:

If I didn't just buy my wife an AAR key (4ish hours now.... come on Square). I would have jumped on this.

Isn't the game down for everyone that isn't a shadowbringers early access player?

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
As someone who got back to FFXIV due to Shadowbringers, any recommended Jobs outside of the two new ones to pick after I get Gladiator/Paladin (the Class/Job that I first picked) to probably Level 80?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yep. So far (up to level 62) I maintain it's more like SAM than anything else, albeit simpler. Because so much of your dungeon damage is tied to AOEs in a circle around you, you want to stay right in the middle of groups of enemies. DNC should never be interrupted by anything - you should always be moving and attacking and you have the mobility to never step in an AOE. Because you're mobile and have a very simple rotation it's more about learning the dungeons. As far as I can tell this early on, a huge amount of your DPS is just not letting yourself be stopped by anything. Presumably the Spirit Gauge will change things a lot, but we'll see. I'm interested in seeing whether the 80 capstone is going to be useful or not. From the description it could go either way, since it looks a lot like Meditate, only for some reason it's the big final ability for the class.
Seems like a weird comparison to me - SAM at its most basic is three combos keeping up 3 buffs/debuffs while building resources to use on a finisher. Dancer is... using a 2-button combo and using any procs that show up. Also dancing. Other than their AoE's being point blank I don't really see any resemblance?

Speaking of DNC I've been using it to go through Stormblood (level 68 now, just returned from Doma) and while I'm enjoying it a lot I do kind of miss the satisfying "oomph" of RDM with Dualcasts and the finishers. DNC is kinda flashy at all times but none of the moves have a big impact so it gets a bit... samey? Maybe that'll change once I get Saber Dance, though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Seems like a weird comparison to me - SAM at its most basic is three combos keeping up 3 buffs/debuffs while building resources to use on a finisher. Dancer is... using a 2-button combo and using any procs that show up. Also dancing. Other than their AoE's being point blank I don't really see any resemblance?
That's what it's played like most to me, but I've only taken it in a couple dungeons. But the way my character moves and interacts with the dungeon reminds me a lot of SAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

But... This... What is this practice for?

Leal posted:

Isn't the game down for everyone that isn't a shadowbringers early access player?

No, they just don't get the new races, jobs, or the MSQ that takes you to the First.