Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
My thoughts and reactions as Todd Parpy takes questions from Disco Lando for an hour. :suffer:

- Is there a single question NOT about [[THE LONE NEW FEATURE IN CURRENTPATCH+.1]]?
- They're laying the groundwork for loot spawning tech. Groundbreaking. PC gaming is practically saved.
- "working more towards what we consider a loot system" It must be a real hoot trying to re-invent every MMO feature in CryEngine 6+ years after the project started.
- "Well the in-lore answer is..." lol yes that's exactly what the fans are interested in after 6 years.
- Is there anything else in 3.6? 'Maybe some qualify of life fixes I dunno'
- How about OCS? "NO" lol watch that body language :colbert:
- "Why is gamedev tough?" :lol:

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Not even close to Rexzilla's style of shouting, was actually quite enjoyable, though the camera was awkward at spots (but hey, can't be perfect in everything). It also helped that it was admitted scenario, basically DM-style, contrary to Rexzilla's "Look at all the spontaneous user-driven content that I didn't prepare before, oh gosh!"

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Going back to that desk.

They aren't even rivets.
They use metal sheet screws.
They also have to be epoxied in since they will just pop off otherwise.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

I love the a-guy-got-sick excuse for late released features

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Taintrunner posted:

they're saying horrible things about us in QQCS and I'm trying to defend this thread and everyone is being an rear end in a top hat at me

this sucks

FWIW there's zero reason to defend 'us' in QCS lol. Just leave it be.

Xarbala posted:

Yeah the SCAM subforum should probably be retired tbh, this thread can get folded into Games or something

It's something I've suggested, but a lot of what happens is a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" kind of thing. Unless there's some very compelling reason to change (such as when this thread got kicked out of games because nobody wanted to deal with it) things will probably stay as they are.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

his nibs posted:

I love the a-guy-got-sick excuse for late released features

It´s really up there with the my-dog-ate-my-homework one.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah, leave the tribalism to shitizens, grab another beer and go back to laughing at idiots with us

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Loot spawning in an engine in 2019? Truly cutting edge technology. Perhaps they'll even invent the loot shooter genre and be the inspiration for many future titles that (off the top of my head just throwing out name possibilities here) could be called Borderlands, Destiny, The Division or Warframe. Those are just all hypothetical titles for games though I'm really excited to see what games will follow their lead with this groundbreaking tech and actually exist in the future outside of my wild speculation.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

Indeed! As a matter of fact I have been using my alts to poo poo on all of you fucks and your "no anime" policies!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Loot spawning in an engine in 2019? Truly cutting edge technology. Perhaps they'll even invent the loot shooter genre and be the inspiration for many future titles that (off the top of my head just throwing out name possibilities here) could be called Borderlands, Destiny, The Division or Warframe. Those are just all hypothetical titles for games though I'm really excited to see what games will follow their lead with this groundbreaking tech and actually exist in the future outside of my wild speculation.

Aren't loot mechanics completely against SC's "MilSim" design? So, are you going to shoot some space pirate and a random rare fire elemental shotgun with 3 slots and -15% to reload time is going to drop? Shouldn't you just get to grab what the npc was carrying because that's what is realistic in this game where each npc will carry about $100 worth of stuff on them?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
imagine being that angry at another subforum

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

trucutru posted:

Aren't loot mechanics completely against SC's "MilSim" design? So, are you going to shoot some space pirate and a random rare fire elemental shotgun with 3 slots and -15% to reload time is going to drop? Shouldn't you just get to grab what the npc was carrying because that's what is realistic in this game where each npc will carry about $100 worth of stuff on them?

Funnier than that is that after watching the bit from the video it sounds like they're literally talking about ground breaking technology that will let you... mine rocks or pick plants. You know, a mechanic that has been in mmos since probably the first mmo.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Beet Wagon posted:

:negative:

Quavers posted:

Retro section is a cool and good idea.

Deleting the Star Citizen thread to appease a few embarrassed goons who got scammed out of money? :shepspends: Nah :laffo:

Hopefully QCSers didn't get triggered...

Charles posted:

I am embarrassed.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Why is this always the go to comeback from the epic doxx dudes forum regulars

Snow Cone Capone posted:

A perfect example of why the SC subforum should be deleted. Absolutely shameful.

Endorph posted:

the star citizen subforum is 10% weird doxxlords and 90% dudes who enable the weird doxxlords and make posts like

theres no reason for it to exist. heck there can still be a 'dumb video game kickstarter' thread or w/e i just dont know why it needs an entire subforum, especially since all it seems to do is let them hide from the mods who dont check that forum as much

everythingWasBees posted:

gacha game and retro game subforums seem good, and should be added

the star citizen forum where people doxx random devs and make death threats seems bad, and should be deleted

everythingWasBees posted:

don't you guys have a discord or something now like every other subcommunity that you can just move to anyway?

American McGay posted:

Just posting again to try any not let the hosed up weirdos who post badly distract us from the purpose of this thread, which is yet to be realized.

#IStandWithStoreCitizerThread

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Ah yes let me tell you about this exciting new mechanic we've been toying around with - it's called a player character and get this.. you'll be able to move it around INSIDE the game world! Imagine, interacting with a game!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I really don't even know what QCS is and it sounds like I'm better off that way.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Funnier than that is that after watching the bit from the video it sounds like they're literally talking about ground breaking technology that will let you... mine rocks or pick plants. You know, a mechanic that has been in mmos since probably the first mmo.

And it'll let them spawn stuff in derelicts outside of missions! So it'll be just like... Any given CRPG since the 90s. Hmmmm.

Amazing how much time they're spending on all this but they won't just FIRST make a game with fun space dogfighting, that gives you reasons to dogfight.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
lol

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Quavers posted:

:negative:

Hopefully QCSers didn't get triggered...

#IStandWithStoreCitizerThread

This is what the kids call "cringey af" duder. Seriously y'all, please think about what kind of person gets caremad enough about people disparaging their favorite stupid internet shitposting forum to go defend its honor or whatever. That's some reddit poo poo, don't be like reddit.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Hey now! Star Citizen's mining is truly never-been-done-before. You can shoot a small laser at rocks in the ground or in space, and the real revolution is that they're all worthless because making money would take you out of the ship store economy!

Honestly the mining ship is a complete steal at only... 155 actual US dollars. Yes that sounds like a good price for a ship that is basically the equivalent of a standard MMO mining pick.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I really don't even know what QCS is and it sounds like I'm better off that way.

QCS is the SomethingAwful version of "moved to concern"

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
YOUTUBE: Boundry: Tactic FPS in Space

This may have hit the thread already and I missed it. I just hope Redbull pays Rexzilla well enough to keep him from jumping ship...

My condolences to the dev teams once Chris gets to play it and decides EVA needs a total rethink.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Carlisle posted:

They would be more likely to spawn offshoots worse than Hellgate London.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Subreddit thread: in which the Citizens admit that they pretty much don't play the game anymore

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

G0RF posted:

This may have hit the thread already and I missed it. I just hope Redbull pays Rexzilla well enough to keep him from jumping ship...

My condolences to the dev teams once Chris gets to play it and decides EVA needs a total rethink.

Okay that looks like a very cool premise and I hope they make some money on it.

If there's one thing Star Citizen has really helped me understand though it is that I just do not care about FPS gameplay in my spaceship game.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

G0RF posted:

The premise for this looks really great.

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

So long and thanks for all the fish

:lol:

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

So long and thanks for all the fish

Krycek posted:

QCS is the SomethingAwful version of "moved to concern"

I went to take a look and decided not to stay. I'll stay away.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Virtual Captain posted:

- How about OCS? "NO" lol watch that body language :colbert:

:laffo:

"There might be some server side work that needs to be done" *looks down and to the right, scratches nose*

Translation: we can't even estimate how much server side work needs doing, we have no idea.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

:reddit: posted:

You really don't want to be playing now.

:hmmyes:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Jonny Shiloh posted:

:laffo:

"There might be some server side work that needs to be done" *looks down and to the right, scratches nose*

Translation: we can't even estimate how much server side work needs doing, we have no idea.

I pray everyday that someone will revive Beer4TheBeerGod's translation service.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Virtual Captain posted:

I'm not sure it's needed any more, funny as it was - the answer to all questions these days is surely

quote:

gently caress you whale nerd.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i just scrolled past a wall of text about installation problems.
store citizer is a bona fide pc game it seems!

dont hate on me, i am aware that its in early-pre-alpha, tier-0 release, and i am expecting too much.

edit: omg here i am 10 years after i (honestly) was excited about this game when i saw the kickstarter back then.

how bizarre
*ding ding ding*
*dong dong dong*
how bizarre
how bizarre

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 30, 2019

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Star Citizen: You Really Don't Want to be Playing

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Beet Wagon posted:

This is what the kids call "cringey af" duder. Seriously y'all, please think about what kind of person gets caremad enough about people disparaging their favorite stupid internet shitposting forum to go defend its honor or whatever. That's some reddit poo poo, don't be like reddit.

Why won’t anyone love us? :negative:

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
because we destroyed star citizen?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Virtual Captain posted:

Holy crap that was epic. I feel like I've missed at least 7 Golden Ages of Star Citizen by not paying attention sooner.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Meanwhile, Elite exists and people are making songs about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8A3qsSi_Yc

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Beexoffel posted:

Meanwhile, Elite exists and people are making songs about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8A3qsSi_Yc

I was playing Elite: Dangerous earlier this evening. I know it's not particularly popular round here but! it's a game, and it has game play mechanics that work, and game play loops that are consistent (if tedious)... basically, Frontier has, at some point in the past, given some thought as to how its disparate elements might possibly hang together, and they have built a game around those decisions.

Compare and contrast with Star Citizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

This post reminded me that their headline in-development feature for, like, a year was delta updates. And that was two years ago.