Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

mikerock posted:

We are into the high 4 figures at this point.

Do you still have the GoFundMe website up for Scout?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
That's good to know. And when you think about it, it's not like Australia is perpetually hot. I'm sure the desert temperatures drop dramatically at night. I've also read a feel-good story about a budgie who was out in -5ishC/23ishF snowy weather. He joined a flock of sparrows (who oddly didn't boot him out and were treating him kindly. Sparrows are usually pretty dickish. But omg they're so cute I want to scoop them up) and they'd feed around this one couple's yard. They managed to get him by luring him with a cage and food and he was good and happy.

anyway birds are so cute they make me want to smash everything

E: I forgot to say this but I'm so happy Scout's seizures have subsided. Definitely an amazing doctor and bird. I vote you use the gofundme money to get Scout a fancy peg leg. :3:

Have you heard anything about Spencer?

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 29, 2019

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Please let us know if we can help, if mods are OK with it.

Well, birdmod.

Birdmod only mod :black101:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

It is one thousand percent okay and you know it :colbert:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

*sprints to thread*
https://i.imgur.com/vVTgXbK.mp4

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

he is perfect

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I'm so used to dopey cockatiels, that the thought of a bird able to do tricks completely blows my mind.

Hell, Serra being semi-poop trained and being able to turn over cups blows my mind.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I'm very thankful he killed that awful green man!!

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

We're fortunate that we're not struggling with it right now, but the Go Fund me is still active, and donations still appreciated. Although, you guys have done a lot already!

https://www.gofundme.com/scout-thornley-vet-care

!!!

mikerock fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 1, 2019

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Captain Log posted:

In all my bird reading and experience, the cold is only dangerous when the temperature drops suddenly. I know some people in parts of the country that get 50-60F with outdoor aviaries. It seems that the birds adjust decently to gradual changes, but not a freeze.

We were always warned about drafts. It's less the temperature and more that they have such tiny mass that they can get overwhelmed quickly. They're warm-blooded after all, so as long as they have food and water and a protected place to escape to they're usually fine.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

RoboRodent posted:

During this past semester, I was trying to pull together sources for a research project on penguin preening behaviour, and I came across a (not ultimately useful) paper on captive cockatiels' apparent comfort levels in extreme temperatures.

And yeah, the conclusion was that they're from Australia, they cope quite fine with temperatures up into the high thirties so long as they have a good source of water.

This was a bizarre study for someone to make but I read it anyway.
We had a couple nasty prolonged power outages last year and my cockatiel started seeming uncomfortable until the temperature was back up above 50 F. She's old, though.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
i found a handy chart for mister bibs:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Age can make a difference, in fact. Look, I found the paper again. 2015, from a Brazilian veterinary journal.

quote:

The environmental conditions studied significantly interfered with few of the behaviours exhibited by the birds. Compared to 25°C, the high temperature caused the birds to remain more often on the perch instead of on the floor of the cage. This can be explained by the fact that the animals prefer well-ventilated areas, facilitating body heat dissipation (Kenny and Jay, 2013). Behavioural adjustments can occur quickly and at a lower cost than physiological adaptations. Thus, the behaviour of animals represents a direct tool that a wild bird has to defend itself from dangers in the surrounding environment. Parrot species that are kept as pets often exhibit behavioural problems, such as escape attempts, panic, and aggression, that are considered typical in captive environments (Meehan et al., 2004). In the present study, behaviours that indicate physiological stress were not observed, suggesting that the temperature was not high enough to damage the health of the birds.

The surface body temperature of the cockatiels increased when the ambient temperature was increased from 25 to 35°C. Increased skin temperature is a result of a high ambient temperature or increased blood flow at the body surface (Simeone et al., 2004). Previous studies indicate that birds have the ability to adapt morphologically, physiologically, and behaviourally to achieve thermal homeostasis, but factors such as feather coverage, sex, age, and degree of acclimatisation can interact with high relative humidity to define responses to high ambient temperatures (Balnave, 2004). In the present study, behavioural changes, such as remaining on the perch, were more important in maintaining thermal homeostasis.

Whole thing is here, if you like. It's open source, a rarity in academia.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

GoldStandardConure posted:

i found a handy chart for mister bibs:

I need to post that near the bird cages.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

mikerock posted:

We're fortunate that we're not struggling with it right now, but the Go Fund me is still active, and donations still appreciated. Although, you guys have done a lot already!
https://www.gofundme.com/manage/scout-thornley-vet-care

The link doesn't work for me, I think you need to take the "manage" part out of it.

e: look at that face :kimchi:

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 30, 2019

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sinbad is 25. I've known him since he was a hatchling. Far as I can tell I've kept him healthy. Awful lot of those 90 years of avocado shrieking left...

Peanut butter treat

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 30, 2019

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Hahahaha! You kissed a bird!!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

SuperKlaus posted:

Sinbad is 25. I've known him since he was a hatchling. Far as I can tell I've kept him healthy. Awful lot of those 90 years of avocado shrieking left...

Look at that loving Sennie face :kimchi:

I would love to have Charlie out on my shoulder more, but I've been spoiled by a potty trained bird and Charlie is still working on that. Sometimes I ask him to take his poop and he stares at me with his big yellow eyes and I put him back on my shoulder since I don't want him to strain himself trying to go if he doesn't need to.

Then he poops on my shirt.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Hahahaha! You kissed a bird!!

He kissed a birb and he liked it, the taste of her millet chapstick.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/ZRrh2Ya.mp4

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Oh mah gawd!

What camera is that!? :stare: It looks...real.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Serra has a new joy in her life - Velcro.

https://youtu.be/qZrNz2Czkrc

Edit - That watch band has now had the tiny rubber pieces punched out, and it's hung in Serra's cage.

It's her velcro watch band now.

:stare:

:derptiel:

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 30, 2019

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

SuperKlaus posted:

Peanut butter treat

Ohmygod I love him he's perfect

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Oh mah gawd!

Not mine, so I don't know. But being a photo geek (not a video geek though, so I am am not entirely sure) I think most recent APS-C or larger cameras will give you this as long as you record in 60 or 120 fps and use a format with the least amount of compression.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

redgubbinz posted:

The link doesn't work for me, I think you need to take the "manage" part out of it.

e: look at that face :kimchi:

Thanks! Updated.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rotten Cookies posted:

This might seem like a silly question, but do you not have screens in your windows?
not in europe--i was in vienna once and saw an apartment with a pair of cats in it; the owner had built makeshift screens themselves with wood and chicken wire. that was the only window screen i saw. apart from that, windows are entirely open when you open them

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 1, 2019

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Near the start was that a sneeze or a hiss? (Also :3:)

Years ago, Looloo managed to get a millet shell half-trapped under her eyelid, which I would imagine was extremely uncomfortable. After a couple of attempts to scratch it free, she sat perfectly still with her face tilted up so I could use my big dumb monkey fingers to pull it out. I felt so proud that she trusted me that much.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
smh if u dont kiss birb

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

pesto spawned pidgey

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/AlexTheHonk/status/1145824012506808320?s=19

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I am glad this precious baby's heart is ok because mine has burst, I am dead. Slain. This Spix has murdered me

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
baby macaws are the best

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I just clicked on that Buttons meets the baby video again, and when he started yelling, Pookie shushed him twice. She obviously does not approve of loud birbs.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Oh my God the baby.

English birb goons, how do you not go insane at Heathrow? Getting through this place is only marginally less difficult than swimming to the mainland.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Suntan Boy posted:

Oh my God the baby.

English birb goons, how do you not go insane at Heathrow? Getting through this place is only marginally less difficult than swimming to the mainland.

Not really much help to you though, sorry

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Suntan Boy posted:

Oh my God the baby.

I've had to go to Heathrow a few times since my husband is from London...and I liken it to a salmon swimming upstream. Take a deep breath and SWIM SWIM SWIM (come up for air occasionally)

Its dreadfully awful :( but at least his mum doesn't live terribly far from it so it's a decently quick ride back to the house. But its the getting TO the car that the issue! lol

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I am not accomplishing anything today, because I'm sitting leaned back, resting my left foot on my right knee, and there is a bird there.

In fact, he actively complains about being anywhere else. Of course, this means I can do nothing. Oh well, too bad.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

RoboRodent posted:

I am not accomplishing anything today, because I'm sitting leaned back, resting my left foot on my right knee, and there is a bird there.

In fact, he actively complains about being anywhere else. Of course, this means I can do nothing. Oh well, too bad.

Bwaaah! Adorable!

Serra was extra hyper this morning and not obeying at all.

I got a towel and swaddled her like a baby. (I do this a few times a week so toweling for a trim doesn’t freak her out)

She is calm now. :derptiel:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I am glad this precious baby's heart is ok because mine has burst, I am dead. Slain. This Spix has murdered me

Too baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

Captain Log posted:

Oh mah gawd!

60fps video is pretty standard on most modern cellphones, afaik.