Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

In good news, BRD is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Your Computer posted:

Seems like a weird comparison to me - SAM at its most basic is three combos keeping up 3 buffs/debuffs while building resources to use on a finisher. Dancer is... using a 2-button combo and using any procs that show up. Also dancing. Other than their AoE's being point blank I don't really see any resemblance?

Speaking of DNC I've been using it to go through Stormblood (level 68 now, just returned from Doma) and while I'm enjoying it a lot I do kind of miss the satisfying "oomph" of RDM with Dualcasts and the finishers. DNC is kinda flashy at all times but none of the moves have a big impact so it gets a bit... samey? Maybe that'll change once I get Saber Dance, though.

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.
MCH questions:
I'm still at 61 but from what I can tell nu-MCH is basically just keeping Drill, Hot Shot, Gauss Round, and Ricochet on cooldown and then overheating when I get 50 gauge. Is that about it?
1) For overheat I've just been spamming Heat Blast and keeping Gauss Round and Ricochet from capping on charges, is that right?
2) At how many targets is it worth spamming Auto Crossbow over Heat Blast?
3) When should I be using flamethrower when I get it?
4) I assume Wildfire should be lined up with Overheat since Heat Blast is a 1.5s GCD, yeah?
5) Should I be holding my turret until 100 gauge?

Anyway new MCH rules 10/10 etc

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

tote up a bags posted:

I'm at level 75, but I appreciate that the main design seems to be "yeah it's a little more of the same, but we're making stuff better; hey... do you like having more Refulgent Arrow and Rain of Death procs? Because boooy" And despite Shadowbite having a longer cooldown, that skill really loving hurts in AOE situations

Can't wait for 76 for my new Heavy Shot upgrade. It's been 6 years with this dumb skill I need the new version

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Speaking of DNC, I'm getting some sort of one-minute bonus when I use Standard Step but I can't figure out what the bonus is. Anyone know?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

FactsAreUseless posted:

Speaking of DNC, I'm getting some sort of one-minute bonus when I use Standard Step but I can't figure out what the bonus is. Anyone know?

You get a damage bonus for yourself and your dance partner based on the number of steps done right up to 5%. If you look down at the bottom of the skill window you can find the tooltips for the finishes.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

tote up a bags posted:

The whole game is good

Loving my gnb can't wait to progress the story

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Queue sizes are extreme right now, 1.9k for Cerberus

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just mean how the abilities feel, I'm certainly not complaining about the damage output :v:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Everytime I see DNC in here, I get confused because I also follow a few political threads, so my first instinct is to think y'all are talking about the Democratic National Committee and not Dancers.

Great White Hope!
Nov 12, 2006

I cannot get over how loving good white mage feels now. The burst healing I can put out is absolutely buck wild. Cure 2 > Solace > Tetra is 2100 potency healing in effectively one cast and ogcd window. Plenery > Medica > Solace > Assize is 1200 potency in about the same time frame. Misery critting for around 60k at lv 75 is the tighest poo poo. Like I'm sure it won't be a meta healer for the optimized raid comp, but goddamn I love how it plays now.
Also Hrothgar have the best /sit in the game

Great White Hope! fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 30, 2019

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Which FF did fairies first show up in as something other than summons? 5? 3? Have they been in anything else?

Edit: Unrelated, what's Alisaie's new rapier?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Which FF did fairies first show up in as something other than summons? 5? 3? Have they been in anything else?

They are in the original Final Fantasy and have appeared in multiple games. For example they helped Yang recover after his seeming death in FF4.B

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

They are in the original Final Fantasy and have appeared in multiple games. For example they helped Yang recover after his seeming death in FF4.B
I don't remember them in the original at all, but it's been forever. Where do they show up?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't remember them in the original at all, but it's been forever. Where do they show up?

One gives you the thingmabob that lets you breathe underwater

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

one gets captured in a bottle that you gotta buy from a caravan and free.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Gizmo Chicken posted:

MCH questions:
I'm still at 61 but from what I can tell nu-MCH is basically just keeping Drill, Hot Shot, Gauss Round, and Ricochet on cooldown and then overheating when I get 50 gauge. Is that about it?
1) For overheat I've just been spamming Heat Blast and keeping Gauss Round and Ricochet from capping on charges, is that right?
2) At how many targets is it worth spamming Auto Crossbow over Heat Blast?
3) When should I be using flamethrower when I get it?
4) I assume Wildfire should be lined up with Overheat since Heat Blast is a 1.5s GCD, yeah?
5) Should I be holding my turret until 100 gauge?

Anyway new MCH rules 10/10 etc

1.) Yes.
2.) 3 targets.
3.) Flamethrower at any number of targets greater than two (I think, might be 3), but only if you have nothing else to do. Everything other than Spread Shot is a higher priority.
4.) Yep.
5.) I believe the turret should be held until at least 80. The robot should be held until 100, due to something to do with it having a longer animation.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Bussamove posted:

Giott is a drunk idiot and its the best. I love my stupid bearded son.

"That thing broke three of my ribs and my left femur, but you not only fixed me up, you put the monster down all by yourself. I guess I'm awesome at picking party members!"

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I haven't played since well before the first expansion, maybe a few months after the relaunch.

Should I give it a try again? Is there anyway to jump in for free with an existing account? If not, what's the cheapest path to get all the expacs or should I not even bother and just buy a sub for a month to see how it goes?

My main question is how much/if it's faster to level than it used to be? I don't really have it in me to grind max level in most MMOs, never done it even though I've played many (other than shadowbane with bots?).

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.

Perfect, thanks!
Now to decide whether I want to do BRD or MCH for Shadowbringers...

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Great White Hope! posted:

I cannot get over how loving good white mage feels now. The burst healing I can put out is absolutely buck wild. Cure 2 > Solace > Tetra is 2100 potency healing in effectively one cast and ogcd window. Plenery > Medica > Solace > Assize is 1200 potency in about the same time frame. Misery critting for around 60k at lv 75 is the tighest poo poo. Like I'm sure it won't be a meta healer for the optimized raid comp, but goddamn I love how it plays now.
Also Hrothgar have the best /sit in the game

Every day I fall more in love with my soft boy

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Unless there's a crafted version (which there may be; I haven't even looked at the crafting logs yet) that specific model is from the level 69 dungeon in Stormblood. I know, because I used that specific rapier for like 75% of SB and recognized it immediately. Girl has good taste.

E: You won't get the same colour as Alisae's version, but it'll be the same model.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

SMN is so incredibly busy now. Its just piano keyboard every single moment, always be pressing buttons

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Meicyn posted:

I think one of my favorite aspects of Shadowbringers aside from all the other things folks have mentioned, is that they took the time to model a lot of things that your character holds in different moments, like a nectarine. I don't know why I love that little detail, but it's great.

quite a neck you've got there

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Cao Ni Ma posted:

SMN is so incredibly busy now. Its just piano keyboard every single moment, always be pressing buttons

yeah im not sure how much longer passed 80 ill be playing it, its a constant piano.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Tabletops posted:

I haven't played since well before the first expansion, maybe a few months after the relaunch.

Should I give it a try again? Is there anyway to jump in for free with an existing account? If not, what's the cheapest path to get all the expacs or should I not even bother and just buy a sub for a month to see how it goes?

My main question is how much/if it's faster to level than it used to be? I don't really have it in me to grind max level in most MMOs, never done it even though I've played many (other than shadowbane with bots?).

If you resub a month to see if you still enjoy the game, all you need to do is the Main Story Quests to level yourself up. If you try out a healing class right now, you'll get instant dungeon queues, and dungeons are one of the fastest ways to level up. It's a nice (cutscene-sprinkled) path from beginning to endgame, with detours to old raids/ side content/crafting if that floats your boat. If you like it from there, buying the Shadowbringers expansion will get you all the other expansion content, too.

I joined at the very end of Heavensward, and then ambled my way through the game over the course of Stormblood's two years. I finally hit endgame a few months back. I am very casual! I had a very good time! I made a bunch of alts on other data centers and I spent a lot of time loving off and not advancing things! It was great. Don't feel obligated to race to the end, unless maybe you've got friends waiting for you? FFXIV is nice when played as a journey rather than a context with which to do endgame raiding in. (Though that's pretty fun, too, once you're there.)

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah I'm feeling this and I haven't even got past 70 yet, making the egi-abilities into buttons you press seemed like a good idea because "summoner" but they just kinda layered it on top of everything else you were doing. Plus they increased the rate at which you have to press your Aetherflow button (making aetherflow 1min CD into energy drain 30s CD) and also make you use one more Fester/Painflare every minute. I'm not sure it's the class I want to main anymore, there's just so many different things on shortish cooldowns that you want to spam out nonstop.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

For example they helped Yang recover after his seeming death in FF4.B

Those were sylphs! Not pixies!!!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
DRK class feel is loving incredible and I feel like most classes feel the best they ever have. This is a good expansion.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
level 74 MSQ spoiler

I am so excited to see my blind waifu after so long

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6KYAVn8ons

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

Yeah I'm feeling this and I haven't even got past 70 yet, making the egi-abilities into buttons you press seemed like a good idea because "summoner" but they just kinda layered it on top of everything else you were doing. Plus they increased the rate at which you have to press your Aetherflow button (making aetherflow 1min CD into energy drain 30s CD) and also make you use one more Fester/Painflare every minute. I'm not sure it's the class I want to main anymore, there's just so many different things on shortish cooldowns that you want to spam out nonstop.

Yeah I'm having the same problem. One thing that could help a lot is if they got rid of energy drain/energy siphon and made fester/painflare charged actions. Heck they could even get rid of fester/painflare since they're just more damage, they don't interact with the summoner system anymore. Not a big fan of the pet action ogcds either.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Level 77 MSQ spoilers: A Final Fantasy game going full Soylent Green was not something I saw coming. poo poo just got (even more) real loving dark.

When it comes to overall leveling experience/story, this xpac delivers. I've only really played Samurai so far, double Iaijutsu feels fantastic and the removal of TP just lets me roleplay a blender all day long, it owns.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Veib posted:

Level 77 MSQ spoilers: A Final Fantasy game going full Soylent Green was not something I saw coming. poo poo just got (even more) real loving dark.

I moused over this, are you referring to something Eulmore?

As soon as those two loving jesters showed up handing out food, I immediately turned to my wife and said "They're eating the poors. They're eating people. That's people." And she assumed this game wouldn't go that dark - or should I say light.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

PLD is just great, but I keep eyeing DRK with their Delirium As Inner Release...

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Mordiceius posted:

I moused over this, are you referring to something Eulmore?

As soon as those two loving jesters showed up handing out food, I immediately turned to my wife and said "They're eating the poors. They're eating people. That's people." And she assumed this game wouldn't go that dark - or should I say light.

I said exactly the same loving thing at that point and it turns out we were both right on the money and it was also somehow worse.

Because they're not (Eulmore spoilers) just eating the poors but first turning the poors into mindless angels, grinding the angels into food, and then eating that. Alisaie also raises the implication in the reveal cutscene that not only are they doing that but eating enough of it might also condemn the person to eventual transformation like being wounded by a major sin eater would, which is probably also intentional on Vauthry's part.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I played at release, got to level cap then stopped. What I liked about FFXI was all the different ways to get gear, is all the end game content still instanced dungeons?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

FeatherFloat posted:

If you resub a month to see if you still enjoy the game, all you need to do is the Main Story Quests to level yourself up. If you try out a healing class right now, you'll get instant dungeon queues, and dungeons are one of the fastest ways to level up. It's a nice (cutscene-sprinkled) path from beginning to endgame, with detours to old raids/ side content/crafting if that floats your boat. If you like it from there, buying the Shadowbringers expansion will get you all the other expansion content, too.

I joined at the very end of Heavensward, and then ambled my way through the game over the course of Stormblood's two years. I finally hit endgame a few months back. I am very casual! I had a very good time! I made a bunch of alts on other data centers and I spent a lot of time loving off and not advancing things! It was great. Don't feel obligated to race to the end, unless maybe you've got friends waiting for you? FFXIV is nice when played as a journey rather than a context with which to do endgame raiding in. (Though that's pretty fun, too, once you're there.)

What's the leveling speed like? Is it faster than arr release? Does the game have a heirloom type system for increasing xp gains on other jobs or anything?

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Tabletops posted:

What's the leveling speed like? Is it faster than arr release? Does the game have a heirloom type system for increasing xp gains on other jobs or anything?

Leveling is still fairly slow through the MSQ, but can get much quicker once the roulettes and deep dungeon systems open up. Your lower level jobs get fairly massive general xp boosts (100% up to 50, then 50% until 70 I think? Might have changed with ShB launch). It's still fairly tedious to level DPS, but tanks and especially healers can just run the highest level dungeon they have a lot much like dungeon leveling with heirlooms in WoW.

Draxion fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 30, 2019

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Tabletops posted:

Can't say how it compares to ARR at release. At present, it has daily roulettes for extra chunks of XP, and there's the Hall of the Novice which grants you a ring that gives you 30% more XP at level 30 and under when you complete it. Various collector's edition items and pre-order items can get you XP-boosting stuff (the Shadowbringers pre-order granted an earring that would boost XP at level 70 and below) and some of the Mogstation outfits have XP-boosting benefits at lower levels as well. There's also the "armory bonus" which gives you 100% extra XP for your lower-than-your-highest classes up to 70, and 50% once above that. So if you want to try different classes you can level them up faster. It goes even faster still if you re-roll on a "preferred" world, which is detailed a bit more here.

But seriously, if you haven't actually done the main story, just do the main story and some side quests and poo poo as you go. You have to do the story anyway to actually unlock everything, there's no use ignoring it and grinding poo poo unless you really want to try out multiple jobs or something. And the main story quests will, if you supplement with roulettes and the occasional side quest, get you where you're going just fine. The bottleneck really isn't how fast you can grind, it's how fast you can get through the drat cutscenes. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

tote up a bags posted:

meh