Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
god that thing is just so fuckin' happy to be here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Nodosaur posted:

So these are Ash's opponents in the Alolan League. He'll be facing each one in a different bracket of four, with one being in the top 16, one in the top 8, one in the top 4, and one in the finals.

If I had to lay odds, it'll be Illima in the top 16, Hau in the top 8, Gladion in the top 4, and Guzma in the finals, since he's being set up like the show's final boss

Apparently its been a looong time since I paid any attention to the show, because what happened to Ash? That doesn't look like the same character :gonk:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sun and Moon had an artistic style change to be more simple and exaggerated designs, it looks great in animation for the most part but a little weird in stills. Is definitely more "cartoony".

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Annath posted:

Apparently its been a looong time since I paid any attention to the show, because what happened to Ash? That doesn't look like the same character :gonk:

New art/animation style that can't decide if it wants to be amazing or complete and utter rear end

Also, everyone but Ash looks fine, which is hilarious

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The animation is the most consistent the anime has ever been, for the most part. It's just not to some people's tastes.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Is that supposed to be a mustache, did he actually grow older?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Ash has always had those face lines.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
they’re scars from when Voldemort used the killing curse on him

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They're just the lines on his face he's always had. They represent youthful vigor in Japanese character designs, and are usually given to rambunctious young boy characters.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Oricorio can't learn any electric type moves :psyduck:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Farecoal posted:

It can't learn any moves to match its types period, but its gimmick is that Revelation Dance gets the type of whatever form it's in.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Farecoal posted:

Hidden Power and Revelation Dance

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Avalerion posted:

It can't learn any moves to match its types period, but its gimmick is that Revelation Dance gets the type of whatever form it's in.

That's very dumb

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Farecoal posted:

That's very dumb

The Something Awful Forums>Games>Pokémon Megathread: That's Very Dumb

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Annath posted:

https://i.imgur.com/ab3IeWQ.mp4

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Annath posted:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Annath posted:

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

So, I'd like to do an Ultra Moon playthrough using an Ultra Pikachu Team, and I'd like help developing it. So far, here are my thoughts, please note that I am bad at the pokemon metagame:

Surfing Pikachu:
[Surge Surfer] (Timid)
Psychic/Thunder/Volt Switch/Nasty Plot
With a powerful special attack stat, and ability to use the ability Psychic, which the eight year old in me is pretty sure is the most powerful move in the game this seems like a no-brainer.

Spooky Pikachu
[Disguise] (Jolly)
Swords Dance/Play Rough/Shadow Claw/Shadow Sneak
Covering the physical attack department, spooky pikachu is also a set-up sweeper, because I don't know how to build other types of pokemon

Blue Pikachu
[Huge power] (Adamant)
Aqua Jet/Play Rough/Belly Drum/Knock Off
The difference between this pokemon and the one above it is that this one has knock off

Steel Pikachu
[Iron Barbs](Impish)
Electric Terrain/Volt Switch/Iron Head/Spiky Shield
This Pikachu sets up electric terrain and has Spiky Shield and Iron Barbs so I guess It's defensive?

Flying Pikachu
[Static](Jolly)
Acrobatics/Substitute/Double Team/Baton Pass
I have no idea how to make a Baton Pass pokemon, but it sure does have Acrobatics for type coverage.

So who should the last pikachu be? If you've got move sets or natures for them, or even suggestions on how to make the above pikachus even more impressive and synergistic, please let me know! Have I forgotten any Pikachus that desperately need to be included?

There's Regular Pikachu (Cool Ranch) and her sister Regular Pikachu (Nacho Cheese)

Raichu

And Blue Pikachu (Hoenn forme)

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
That's really cute. I’ll just point out that if this is only for in-game purposes, moves like Substitute and Belly Drum are really more trouble than they’re worth. You’re better off sticking other coverage moves on instead.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Octatonic posted:

So, I'd like to do an Ultra Moon playthrough using an Ultra Pikachu Team, and I'd like help developing it. So far, here are my thoughts, please note that I am bad at the pokemon metagame:

Surfing Pikachu:
[Surge Surfer] (Timid)
Psychic/Thunder/Volt Switch/Nasty Plot
With a powerful special attack stat, and ability to use the ability Psychic, which the eight year old in me is pretty sure is the most powerful move in the game this seems like a no-brainer.

Spooky Pikachu
[Disguise] (Jolly)
Swords Dance/Play Rough/Shadow Claw/Shadow Sneak
Covering the physical attack department, spooky pikachu is also a set-up sweeper, because I don't know how to build other types of pokemon

Blue Pikachu
[Huge power] (Adamant)
Aqua Jet/Play Rough/Belly Drum/Knock Off
The difference between this pokemon and the one above it is that this one has knock off

Steel Pikachu
[Iron Barbs](Impish)
Electric Terrain/Volt Switch/Iron Head/Spiky Shield
This Pikachu sets up electric terrain and has Spiky Shield and Iron Barbs so I guess It's defensive?

Flying Pikachu
[Static](Jolly)
Acrobatics/Substitute/Double Team/Baton Pass
I have no idea how to make a Baton Pass pokemon, but it sure does have Acrobatics for type coverage.

So who should the last pikachu be? If you've got move sets or natures for them, or even suggestions on how to make the above pikachus even more impressive and synergistic, please let me know! Have I forgotten any Pikachus that desperately need to be included?

There's Regular Pikachu (Cool Ranch) and her sister Regular Pikachu (Nacho Cheese)

Raichu

And Blue Pikachu (Hoenn forme)

If you're in Ultra Moon, you can get a for real legit Surfing Pikachu what knows Surf. And yes, you can evolve it. You can't get the Surfing Pikachu until the last island, which is disappointing, but it's an option!

My vote for last Pikachu does to Fat Pikachu (Dedenne).

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I suggest regular Pichu (Small Pikachu) but I'm biased

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

why is Pachirisu "Hoenn Form" when it's from Sinnoh

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Zoran posted:

That's really cute. I’ll just point out that if this is only for in-game purposes, moves like Substitute and Belly Drum are really more trouble than they’re worth. You’re better off sticking other coverage moves on instead.

TBH, I'm mostly thinking belly drum for the normallium-z heal, but this is a good point. I can always use X-items. Maybe I'll remember that for this playthrough.

Silver Falcon posted:

My vote for last Pikachu does to Fat Pikachu (Dedenne).

Farecoal posted:

I suggest regular Pichu (Small Pikachu) but I'm biased

Thank you for the input!

Nodosaur posted:

Because I have a keen memory for detail.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Nodosaur posted:

It’s hard to keep track of all these gatdang pikachus!!!!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

One place I go to is actually livid over how the Japanese fandom isn't reacting in the same way that the US fandom is. There's dissent and displeasure, but after the first announcement, most people over there have become disappointed, but accepting, or come around. The message Masuda gave is available in Japanese, but it was only the US twitter account that released it, from what I've heard, though I'm not certain on it.

I just don't get that. Being angry that "the other half" isn't on the same train they are, I mean.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

So these are Ash's opponents in the Alolan League. He'll be facing each one in a different bracket of four, with one being in the top 16, one in the top 8, one in the top 4, and one in the finals.

If I had to lay odds, it'll be Illima in the top 16, Hau in the top 8, Gladion in the top 4, and Guzma in the finals, since he's being set up like the show's final boss

hosed up he's not facing Kiawe.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Nodosaur posted:

One place I go to is actually livid over how the Japanese fandom isn't reacting in the same way that the US fandom is. There's dissent and displeasure, but after the first announcement, most people over there have become disappointed, but accepting, or come around. The message Masuda gave is available in Japanese, but it was only the US twitter account that released it, from what I've heard, though I'm not certain on it.

I just don't get that. Being angry that "the other half" isn't on the same train they are, I mean.

Because Western fans MUST WIN this fight over vidya.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

hosed up he's not facing Kiawe.

Kiawe is Worf.

I bet Guzma stomps a jobber at round one, James in round 2, and Kiawe and him get a fairly emotional match in round 3 (Kiawe is extremely passionate about respecting nature and Alola, Guzma explicitly hates that line of thinking) that gets Ash extra salty he couldn't face his friend in the finals, and then go to Guzma vs Ash.
Or maybe James is Round 1 and Sophocles becomes his victim in Round 2 because bug type and bug z-moves.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
There's also

Balding Man Badly Cosplaying a Pikachu

Mr Mime was one of those early designs that got quietly sweeped under the carpet, right?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Solar Tornado posted:

There's also

Mr Mime was one of those early designs that got quietly sweeped under the carpet, right?

He is Ash's step dad.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Solar Tornado posted:

There's also

He was in Detective Pikachu

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
pika

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Violet_Sky posted:

He was in Detective Pikachu

I heard that the Pokémon Company really didn’t want him in the movie, and tried to convince the producers otherwise.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The Awesomesaurus posted:

I heard that the Pokémon Company really didn’t want him in the movie, and tried to convince the producers otherwise.

Yup, they thought it couldn't possibly work. Then they showed them how the scene plays out and Pokemon Company allowed it.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I'm pretty sure Mr. Mimes aren't pokemon, they're just weird dudes who've somehow attained psychic powers through mime

mime jr, however, IS an actual pokemon. it is unknown how evolution actually works, but it's speculated that when it evolves, a Mr Mime just dropkicks it out of the way when you aren't looking and hops in the pokeball in its stead.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I can't believe I just stopped two women from sexually harassing a "Machamp"

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
This is cute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ygdPQGlLLY

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Farecoal posted:

I can't believe I just stopped two women from sexually harassing a "Machamp"

cosplay is not consent

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

They're just the lines on his face he's always had. They represent youthful vigor in Japanese character designs, and are usually given to rambunctious young boy characters.

Now I just see a 55 year old Ash drawing them on in permanent marker in front of a mirror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Flopsy posted:

Now I just see a 55 year old Ash drawing them on in permanent marker in front of a mirror.

55 year old Ash will be the same as 10 year old Ash... In fact if he aged normally, he'd be in his thirties.