Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

there's another ritual that can heal it too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Kacie posted:

Is it trial-and-error to figure out that the Sunset Rite is the one you need to repair your decrepitude to health? I get the Forge being involved, but I wouldn't have guessed Sunset Rite at all.

It's kind of confusing that Rituals and Rites are different things. Rites take various types of things and consume various types of things and you use the aspects of the things used in the Rite for a Ritual. The Sunset Rite is notable in that it doesn't consume anything valuable to work, just a fleeting and easily obtainable Influence. You could use basically any Rite to do the decrepitude restoration Ritual as long as you can amass the needed Forge and teensy bit of Grail in the components.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
my understanding is all the various rites are mostly interchangeable and what's different about them is what things you can put where and what gets consumed by it

rituals are just "if you do a rite and you've put in influences in x and y aspects and maybe a specific object a Thing happens"

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Yeah: rites are the way you do something, rituals are the actual effect. It's all based on the lore scores of the ingredients, not the chosen rite itself.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

NewMars posted:

Yeah: rites are the way you do something, rituals are the actual effect. It's all based on the lore scores of the ingredients, not the chosen rite itself.

What's the wrong way to do something?

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Beamed posted:

What's the wrong way to do something?

Intercalate.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I feel like having a full stable of Pawns is under-rated. They may not be very good even if you upgrade them to Disciples, but a bunch of expendable minions is nice to have on hand for most of the ascensions. Probably the apostle games too, though thus far I've only done the Forge one.

Which, well, I'm sure the LP will demonstrate why going higher than the Stag Door is a pain in the rear end and turns anything that depends on it into a combination of praying to the RNG and praying for luck.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

The Sandman posted:

I feel like having a full stable of Pawns is under-rated. They may not be very good even if you upgrade them to Disciples, but a bunch of expendable minions is nice to have on hand for most of the ascensions. Probably the apostle games too, though thus far I've only done the Forge one.

Which, well, I'm sure the LP will demonstrate why going higher than the Stag Door is a pain in the rear end and turns anything that depends on it into a combination of praying to the RNG and praying for luck.

Certainly, I have a strong distaste for having to farm the Spider Door, because of its costs. The Peacock Door not so much, as long as you're running commissions regularly I find I usually have enough to pay for the repairs on the regular.

In terms of the LP, we'll see these doors, but not until the Apostle. It's actually surprisingly easy to ascend with the Stag Door vaults alone as a Grail or Lantern cult, I tend to find going further necessary only with Forge or "off-brand" cults.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

so rituals are the things that consume rites/money/people, what do you call the things that decay? influences?

Reveilled posted:

A final note for anyone who is very keen with the eye, who has completed the game and is thinking "Hang on, won't that--":
I have already played to the end. It's too late stop what's in motion. Don't try to warn me. Don't tell anyone.

i am not one of these people so i get to guess (yay)

1. you somehow summoned cthulhu into your arm
2. you have what you think is the correct reagent to summon your eldritch abomination, but actually have the wrong one and/or gave away the right one and it's going to kill you
3. your follower is more powerful than you because you gave them too much good stuff, now they want to be in charge
4. you accidentally proposed and now your partner is going to give birth, possibly to cthulhu

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I am pretty sure that the thing is the ascension ritual performed as he says he plans to will kill Cat. Seems to fit with how things have been going.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

where the red fern gropes posted:

so rituals are the things that consume rites/money/people, what do you call the things that decay? influences?

Yeah, "moods" that decay are influences. That includes mundane moods like Dread and restlessness, but then also the magical moods like "An intensity of radiance" or "A buzzing in the brain". The magical moods are associated with a single aspect and have tiers of power that go 2-6-10-15 in their strength, usually with a pattern for 2-6-10 and then a unique title for the 15th-order influence. So Knock goes Subtle Flaw (2) - Subtle Fracture (6) - Subtle Rupture (10) - Wrong Door (15). You can use them to power rituals, and if they're not used after 60 seconds, they decay. Some decay to lower strength versions, others decay to nothing, others still to mundane moods like dread.

Rituals are special actions that perform magical operations. So far we've done "Forge's Redemption [Grand]" by supplying 15 Forge and 1 Grail and 0 Knock. The exact things we use to supply those aspects don't matter at all to the Ritual itself, just the numerical power. Rites are the catalysts that make Rituals possible; like a Catalyst, they play no direct part in the reaction, but they provide the spaces needed to allow the reactants to interact. All Rites consume at least one thing. It can be a lore, a person, an influence, a tool. Because influences are fleeting, they're the best thing to have consumed, since you'll lose them anyway.

We'll see quite a few more rituals next time.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Page 102

Dear Diary,

I have learned much from the Phanean stories. Sure enough Phanes is a cipher for the Watchman, who I'm convinced now was once mortal as I am. He ascended to the glory through the Tricuspid gate, and thanks to the Concursum, I now know how to get there. I'm close, so very close. I just need the words to open the gate.

There's no time to lose. My studies continue without pause. I will read at any moment possible until finally the words are mine.

I'm beginning to feel the walls closing in, though. As I near the final acts, the suppression bureau will be coming for me, no mistake. Chief among my problems is the inspector, and I need to deal with him. Not directly, of course, as I have other means in mind.

This time, I called Enid to the Mithraeum.

We began by speaking of her husband, who of course had left her during our time abroad. I spoke words of encouragement, and led her to a passionate repudiation of her feelings for the man, and an enthusiastic agreement that he was a horrid creature who berated her falsely for her "madness" and could not see the magnificance of her gift. I promised her I would never forget all she has done, all she has given, all she has sacrificed to help me. The tears flowed, but then, in a flash, she was upon me, pressing her lips to mine. I wrapped my arms around her, and in throes of pleasure as our limbs entangled, I spoke the words.

We stood after the deed was done, but our shadows on the floor remained, that tangled mass of arms and legs, frozen in place. Then, the shadow animated, gaining first a third dimension, then colour, then flesh. Finally it floated before us, and Enid fainted.

This thing is weird. I can scarely process what I'm looking at visually, never mind put it into words on paper. It speaks in tongues, some ancient, some modern. I felt sick just looking at it.

Still, I brought it here for a purpose. And I would see that purpose fulfilled.

Page 103

It's done. I have it.

I have the rite, I have the words for the ritual. I have the location, and the means to open the way. I have a loving assistant who can see me safely through.

Now all I need are the marks. I called Neville, Victor and Clifton to the Mithraeum.

Neville looked over my notes. He hesitated, hemmed and hawed nervously. He said he was worried this was too dangerous. I smiled, and promised he wouldn't let me down. He nodded. Clifton spoke the words, and Neville chanted along. Neville has become so knowledgeable on the matter of wounds these last few months. He knew instinctively where they should go, and as he spoke, he touched the appropriate places on my naked flesh. Victor, so skilled with a blade, worked in silence as he plunged his knife into my body. Arteries severed, and the blood gushed from the wounds, and I felt my life begin to drain away. As the final words were spoken, the final drops left my body. Then, Clifton activated the arc lamp, and the light was EVERYWHERE. The energies of the ritual swept my bloodless body up off the altar, and with my last seconds of life I raised my hand and tapped my forehead.

Now the light rushed out of the room and into me, taking the place of my life essence and making me something...more than human. The lamp exploded as The light was sucked out of it, and the electricity leapt to my body, burning my chest as it restarted my heart. Then, in darkness, I fell to the altar below. I sat up in the pool that was my own blood, and looked down at my flesh, where now fatal wounds had become glowing runes. The Third Mark.

Page 104

This new existence is an interesting one. It seems now that biology does not sustain me any longer. I feel a hunger in my brain, but not in my stomach. I tried to eat last night to sate it, but the food hung heavy in my belly, and eventually forced its way back up, completely undigested.

I decided instead to try reading a book.

That helped, a little. It seems I now have what one might call "intellectual tastes".

However, text seems barely satisfying, now. It is knowledge, but consuming an ancient tome such as this one is barely different to eating an apple buried with a mummy. No, I need something...fresher. Luckily, Clifton has grown our organisation quite a bit.

I called Auclair, and a Disciple, to the Mithraeum.

He was unresistant, at first, thinking himself honoured. But that changed when he realised the likely outcome.

Auclair helped me subdue him, and when he finally stopped resisting, stepped outside and allowed me time to speak to the man, one on one.

I feel better.

Much better.

Page 105

I am concerned that the creature I summoned with Enid has not returned. I had expected this to be a solution to my little detective problem, but apparently not. I will need to look into other options.

I met with Cat today, our first chance to do so since the ritual. I've found that in this new state I am reevaluating some notions I've held before, about the value of certain things. I confess I had worried somewhat that my love might be a casualty of the transformation.

Not so, thankfully. Cat's mind and purpose matches my own, and my love still burns like a candle for her. If there's any price I wouldn't want to pay for my work, it would be Cat's love.

The love of others, however...I called Auclair, again, and another Disciple to the Mithraeum.

It was easier, this time.

More controlled. More dignified.

Page 106

The disappearances are not going unnoticed. It is surely just a matter of time before they are linked back to our orangisation. Where attempts at subterfuge have failed, a more violent approach may be needed. I must deal with the Detective before he catches wind.

I called Elridge to the Mithraeum.

He was nervous, of course. He'd heard the rumors. I explained the ritual. He would don the manacles and offer his knowledge of blades, while I, the doctor, would offer up my knowledge of wounds. He was clearly worried as I clapped the manacles around his wrists, but relaxed, feeling safer as I spoke the words.

As the words ceased, the circle on the ground pulsed white and in the mirror at the circle's centre, a creature appeared. She rushed out, and slammed straight into the edge of the circle. I sensed in her something primal, a hatred so deep it could break the bindings of the summoning ritual. At first, as that hatred washed over me, I thought it was anger at having been summoned. Then I realised it was something more directed. The maid was paying me no attention at all. She didn't hate being summoned, she hated Elridge. And as he backed up against the wall of the chamber, it was clear Elridge knew her.

I had no choice but to end the summoning. I broke the enchantments, sent the Maid back through. As she was drawn back through the mirror, our eyes met momentarily, and the flash of recognition confirmed my suspicion.

The summoning had failed, and I turned to him. "Not your first ritual, Elridge?" I asked. "Were you there, when they split her soul?" He said nothing.

But of course, I don't need speech to know things any more. And I don't need failures.

But I am hungry.

And now, I think, I'm ready to leave.

Page 107

I called Cat Caro to the Mithraeum. We shared a long embrace, and said our goodbyes. I panicked a little, and started suggesting that, maybe, I should give up this mad dream, and stay here with the woman I loved so dearly. She shook her head, and then kissed me. "You don't belong here, Kate," she said, then chuckled. "And anyway, would you really deny me the chance to be a god's lover?" We stared into each other's eyes, and I couldn't bear to break the spell. But she was always my strength. "Come on," she said, "It's time for you to go."

It was time. We divided the ichor into two bowls, and stood at opposite ends of the room. We circled the chamber, careful to stay opposite one another, mirroring our movements perfectly. We drew a the shape of the tricuspid gate on the floor. As we performed the motions, we felt eyes upon us. Other members of the Mirror were watching, of course, but I felt the Watchman himself turn his gaze to us. Once the pattern had been traced on the ground, We said the Words. Then, with a blade each, we cut our hands, and traced a line through the door, liquid light adjacent to liquid life. Then, in each of the halves we made, we traced again our half of the circle.

And that's when it went wrong. I had misunderstood, or failed to research enough. I don't know. I don't know. As we completed the final trace, the magic took on a life of its own. I felt the light get pulled out of me to fill the circle. I had expected that my light should power the final stage and open the gate. But instead, I watched the light flow across the circle and stop at the line through its centre where light bordered blood. I looked up in horror to see the same thing happening on the other side, with Cat's blood. She slumped to the ground, grey of colour. I dashed across the chamber and slammed headfirst into a barrier where the light met the blood. I yelled and screamed and sank to my knees in tears as I watched her lifeless body on the ground. Then there was a flash, the gate in the floor opened and I fell, into desperate glory.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Mechanics Update 14

Dulce et decorum est pro amatrix mori

Okay, before we can talk about that, let's cover the other events of the update.

As mentioned last time, we combined our lores to get the twelth magnitude Lantern Lore, the last ingredient we needed for the ritual, other than the levelled desire card.

As you may recall, when we passed the Stag Door we accounted ourselves a Know, which is the first real rung on the ladder of Ascension. Being a Know allows us to change our Dedication to an Ascension, and really begin the final stage of the game.

Now, instead of the Season of Ambition spitting out restlessness whenever it triggers, we need to feed it a prisoner to gain a Mark on our Ascension card. We start with three, and need six to do the final ritual. If we can't provide a prisoner, we fail the Season of Ambition and lose a mark.

Often when you do this, you can end up waiting ages for the season of ambition to fire, and it needs to fire three times, but unusually for me at least, this time it fired multiple times in a very short space of time.

Making prisoners creates notoriety, so we tried two different ways to mitigate that. First, by summoning a Raw Prophet, we can try to destroy evidence. A Raw Prophet has 8 Moth, and the success chance is based on the summon/follower's Moth, so this is usually a good way of disposing of evidence.

At least, that's true on paper. I seem to have horrible luck with attempting to dispose of evidence, and through multiple playthroughs of this game I always seem to lose five prophets for every one that gets through. I didn't cover it in the narrative, but I actually summoned three prophets to try to destroy this evidence, and they failed every time.

Next option! Kill the hunter. I wanted to do this anyway, since I had hoped to show off some of the other hunters in this playthrough. So we attempted to summon a Maid-in-the-Mirror. Requires lots of Winter, and a small amount of Edge and Knock.

Didn't go so well, either. Many of the more powerful summons have a chance to resist summoning. When that happens we can risk trying to force the summon by adding passion, or abort the summoning with reason. A summon that gets loose can do things like kill characters.

We don't want that, so we use reason to send it home. Oh well.

And speaking of failures, that brings us to...

I went in to this LP without much in the way of an idea of an overarching narrative. I wanted to write a story about a Psychiatrist and I wanted to include Lydia, my previous playthrough. That was about all I had, to begin with.

When Cat showed up early on, I decided it might be nice to see the romance mechanics at last. I'd always put off getting entangled in that in previous playthroughs, so I decided to push myself to indulge.

When you complete the ascension ritual, if you have a lover, you get one final chance to turn back. My vague plan, at the time when the romance with Cat began, would be to give the thread a vote at the end to decide if we'd ascend to the glory, or settle down to a mortal life.

And the thing is, when you perform most rituals in this game, the rite only consumes a single thing. For the Mother's Mercy, it's the ingredient. So it should have been fine. We'd do the ritual, and then pause briefly to decide.

But. But I forgot that there's an exception for ascension rituals. They always consume the follower, if you use one.

So here I was, with the tools I needed, but a follower I didn't want to lose. The problem, of course, is that the only reason I could use Cat at all was because I'd pushed her beyond the usual limits. For the sake of the narrative, she was my only Seer. Nobody could actually replace her.

And because I'd expected this to be the very end of the game, I'd totally disregarded all the notoriety I was building up. At this point the Detective was moments from snatching the tentative evidence and transforming it to damning evidence, potentially causing me to lose the game if I stuck about. It's unlikely because there's tricks you can do to minimise the risk, but I definitely didn't want the game to end in defeat at this very late stage.

Well, I thought, I didn't do my research before getting to this point. Makes sense that Kate didn't either.

I suppose that's the lesson of the Soul Healer's Parable. Same as one of the oldest:

Be bold, be bold, but not too bold / Lest your heart's blood should run cold.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

A fitting end. The Lantern permits no mercy.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The Door in the Eye is wide enough for light to pass, but aught else.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
No mercy for those who dont research to escape the shadows.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
A very fitting end I feel. Have clicked 5. Worth noting the text saying the Follower will be consumed is shown before you click the Start button so it's not a gotcha except in terms of preparation and if the Bureau is hounding you etcetc. Also, there is lots of exploration and discovery in the game, but pushing to win fast (within the context of your own experience and knowledge) is satisfying.

Summons can be assistants so I could see an interesting AU ending for Kate, in another History perhaps.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
all those books but never read the actual ascension ritual text, smh

Yeah it's pretty easy to ascend without killing any of your cultists, either with a ritual that uses a lore, influence, ingredient instead of a lore, assistant, ingredient, or just by summoning Teresa and having her be the assistant.

Shame you didn't show off the peacock door, it has some pretty great text with it, although if you're planning to do an apostle run it's going to be used a lot.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I'd picked this up because of the LP and after a fair amount of messing things up (including losing a 20-hour game due to some very bad luck) I got a win. RNG was particularly kind to me at the end, not only giving me the rite that doesn't consume a follower but also dropping the level 15 influence in my lap. I hope you show off the new path available to you next because the mechanics are pretty different.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Tylana posted:

A very fitting end I feel. Have clicked 5. Worth noting the text saying the Follower will be consumed is shown before you click the Start button so it's not a gotcha except in terms of preparation and if the Bureau is hounding you etcetc. Also, there is lots of exploration and discovery in the game, but pushing to win fast (within the context of your own experience and knowledge) is satisfying.

Summons can be assistants so I could see an interesting AU ending for Kate, in another History perhaps.

It's true that the Follower being consumed isn't a gotcha, and mainly it's the way I chose to plan out the endgame that had me make this error. The warning appears when you slot in your six-marked desire card, which for many players reaching their first ascension, will be well before they have thirty-six influence, giving ample warning. In my case, this was the very last thing I obtained, on purpose, so the warning appeared only as I was ready to finish, and it's been months now since I started this LP and so I hadn't actually seen the endgame rite in some time. Though I feel I should stress that, while it was an accident for Kate, I did realise what would happen before I actually hit the start button.

At the time, I didn't think of using Teresa, which I was kicking myself over shortly afterward.

However, you're right that this is only what happened in one history. There's the other version of this story, where we go back and fix everything and Cat and Kate settle down to a quiet mortal life. Most say that one is a forgery by the Suppression Bureau. I'll probably take a short break before moving on to the Apostle playthrough. Maybe we'll see Appendix A, maybe the Parable should stand alone without the forged version.. I'll have a think about that.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 30, 2019

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
:golfclap: this has been one of those rare LPs where I've been properly excited to see each update. I'm currently attempting a priest ascension (after failing my first apostle run) but I don't get enough time to play, so this is scratching that itch vicariously. Looking forward to whatever you choose to do next.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I ended up using King Crucible and the Intercalate Rite on my Forge Ascension. If KC dies normally you can just summon him back, I'm not sure if Long Ascension permanently destroys him.

That would probably make our interactions in the Mansus awkward though.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
If you do the variant where the two of them settle down, I hope you also can arrange for the variant where you take her with you.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Awwww man. Poor Cat and somewhat Eldridge. They didn't have that coming. Still, I suppose its appropriate for the genre that even in the greatest of victories there is terrible terrible loss.

Did Eldridge kill the woman who was Kate's patient at the start of the story who then became the Maid?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

In games like these, I tend to find that playing "perfectly" leads to things being kind of dull. It's the mistakes and suboptimal decisions that make for a good story. And after all, it's not called A Soul Healer's Feel-Good Rom-Com.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
A beautiful ending indeed.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Are we doing the new game plus with the Cult of Kate?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Artificer posted:

Awwww man. Poor Cat and somewhat Eldridge. They didn't have that coming. Still, I suppose its appropriate for the genre that even in the greatest of victories there is terrible terrible loss.

Did Eldridge kill the woman who was Kate's patient at the start of the story who then became the Maid?

eldridge had it coming

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

eldridge had it coming

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Artificer posted:

No she died to Poppy. Was Eldridge involved in that? I doubt it, the End is Beautiful ritual doesn't include Edge.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
I think that the likelihood of a rebellious spirit depends at least in part on how much Knock you used.

Or at least, that's how it feels like. I'd have to do a whole lot of summoning. For Science.

And yeah, sometimes the RNG just loving hates you, but here's your second (and /generally/ most reliable) way of dealing with investigations: Have a literal demon eat the evidence. The Raw Prophet usually will make short work of any evidence, as will another summon we didn't get to see, and unless you either run a Moth cult and have Skintwisters (Moth 10 exalts) or give a Moth Disciple an unreplaceable high-grade Moth tool, they have a better chance of doing so than anything else. Plus you don' t have to pay to have their injuries taken care of.

Is this taken
Mar 30, 2011

thats so fucking cool
Fun fact: the grail ascension has a slightly different ritual for using your lover as a sacrifice in your final rite.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

kaosdrachen posted:

I think that the likelihood of a rebellious spirit depends at least in part on how much Knock you used.

Or at least, that's how it feels like. I'd have to do a whole lot of summoning. For Science.

And yeah, sometimes the RNG just loving hates you, but here's your second (and /generally/ most reliable) way of dealing with investigations: Have a literal demon eat the evidence. The Raw Prophet usually will make short work of any evidence, as will another summon we didn't get to see, and unless you either run a Moth cult and have Skintwisters (Moth 10 exalts) or give a Moth Disciple an unreplaceable high-grade Moth tool, they have a better chance of doing so than anything else. Plus you don' t have to pay to have their injuries taken care of.

I took a quick look at the files and it looks like spirits rebel 30% of the time no matter what. Doesn't matter what rite you use or how much of any aspects are in it.

Annoyingly, evidence destruction success rates cap out at 70%, which is what you get if your servant (cultist, hireling, or spirit, doesn't matter) has at least 5 moth. Skintwisters are no better at destroying evidence than the 5 moth guys available to every cult.

Catastrophics
Jun 2, 2011
I love the narative you've created for this Let's Play, it works much better than just showing the mechanics side of things. It's going to be interesting to see where it'll go from here!

Also if you imprison named followers they have their own unique descriptions. I'm a fan of Elridge's: "Elridge is not permitted a spoon, or a plate. It is probably unwise to permit him even the sharper vegetables."

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

holy poo poo lol

"sorry buddy we gotta only give you grapes"

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

megane posted:

In games like these, I tend to find that playing "perfectly" leads to things being kind of dull. It's the mistakes and suboptimal decisions that make for a good story. And after all, it's not called A Soul Healer's Feel-Good Rom-Com.

Quoted for truth. Reveilled, you've done an outstanding job with the LP, and the ending being "Kate is now immortal, and has all of eternity to think about what she sacrificed" is a damned fine ending.

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 1, 2019

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

holy poo poo lol

"sorry buddy we gotta only give you grapes"

the principle of Edge is something you need to be particularly careful with.

honestly giving him grapes in a bunch as opposed to by the individual grape would be appreciably dangerous; there is power in Division, as the Lionsmith's shattered blade taught the Colonel.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You know, I was re-reading the stuff on Winter, and I noticed that, while death and silence are the main focus, there doesn't seem to be more than a superficial connection to ice or snow or the cold.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Junpei posted:

You know, I was re-reading the stuff on Winter, and I noticed that, while death and silence are the main focus, there doesn't seem to be more than a superficial connection to ice or snow or the cold.

There’s more than superficial - if you send an expedition out into the mountains, Winter is an aspect that can survive the cold and storms.

But the focus of the lore starts with the assumption that all things have heat, and that there is no such thing as the presence of cold, only the absence of heat, and that winter is therefore the season of absence: the absence of heat, the absence of sound in the snowfall, the absence of the sun from the sky, the absence of people from their communities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

skeleton warrior posted:

There’s more than superficial - if you send an expedition out into the mountains, Winter is an aspect that can survive the cold and storms.

But the focus of the lore starts with the assumption that all things have heat, and that there is no such thing as the presence of cold, only the absence of heat, and that winter is therefore the season of absence: the absence of heat, the absence of sound in the snowfall, the absence of the sun from the sky, the absence of people from their communities.

Backing that up, as far as the seasons in the game are concerned, the Season of Winter is a season devoid of any happening. Stillness, silence, and ending: the three things that embody Winter, both in its lore and physical manifestations.