Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Just bought the game today, never played Mario Maker 1. Made my first level!

Mushroom Kingdom Prison
K5W-HF0-G5G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

please watch this video

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Kirios posted:

I've finally made an early stage Mario level - enjoy!

0-4

99F-LKK-FDG

I like straight forward stages like this. It was fun knocking down rows of enemies with koopa shells.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Well, I’m not sure how this level turned out, but it does showcase the power of scroll stopping really well. It’s called Too Many Cobblers so naturally it’s about Kuribo’s shoe.

5RM-W8S-CNG

And yes there is a naked pipe in this course, but the focus is on the story.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I like straight forward stages like this. It was fun knocking down rows of enemies with koopa shells.

Appreciate it! There's actually bonus areas at the top to skip the majority of the level but I don't think anyone noticed it. :(

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Took a shot at mariovania. There's some branching paths and doors. I wish you could have more of those.

MJG-JD6-17G

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

My third level, also my first attempt at a more "expansive" one.

Beware the Four Horsemen

C6Y-KG1-G5G

This notorious gang of outriders has stolen all the stars and it's up to you to bring justice!

Hope you all enjoy it, this thing took WAY too long to make!

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
New course: The World's Hardest Puzzle

Yes really. All who participate will receive a consolation prize.

9F3-VNK-SVF

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I just farted out a SMB1 desert-themed level called Beneath The Great Pyramid: YCY-JPL-SHF

Please let me know how challenging it is, or if you’re hopelessly stuck. I tried to improve on making it easier over and over before uploading.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Lugaloco posted:

Beware the Four Horsemen

C6Y-KG1-G5G

This notorious gang of outriders has stolen all the stars and it's up to you to bring justice!

Good stuff, I’m first clear!

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice
I made my first sprint level. Nothing too special, and the section with the POW blocks and Banzai Bills is a little janky, but I think it's fun.
CB3-T76-7FG

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Warp Box Bad Desert

HGD TR1 J1G

Spent a solid chunk of the afternoon making this mysterious desert. Use a fun height checker in one part to switch blocks everytime you jump.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 1, 2019

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I made a new level, this time I tried adding some narrative/puzzle elements.

Impossible Ice Fortress

959-RXR-XPG

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Lugaloco posted:

Beware the Four Horsemen

C6Y-KG1-G5G

I liked it. Felt like something from story mode.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Warp Box Bad Desert

HGD TR1 H1G

Spent a solid chunk of the afternoon making this mysterious desert. Use a fun height checker in one part to switch blocks everytime you jump.

I'm getting course not found for this code.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
In Da Club
H07-BHC-QQG

There were several times I giggled to myself creating this. I did not know this idea could have such legs. It's an absolute assault to the senses, and I love it dearly.

Caddyshack
J3N-SWV-GKG

drat varmits.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The inclusion of Katmari Damacy sound effects has given me more joy than anything in many years.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I made my first level.

Super Jump Zone
KT5-HT6-NVG

Press JUMP while landing on enemies to bounce extra high.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Is there a way to lock the screen so it doesn't scroll vertically?

I want the area above a certain line to be hidden even if Mario is at the top of the screen.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Warp Box Bad Desert

HGD TR1 H1G

Says ID does not exist.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pakled posted:

I'm getting course not found for this code.

drat it. Will figure it out a little while later

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

ultrachrist posted:

Is there a way to lock the screen so it doesn't scroll vertically?

I want the area above a certain line to be hidden even if Mario is at the top of the screen.

For me it seems that keeping Mario within a screen line (you can see it better zoomed out) will not scroll vertically or horizontally. I’m not sure exactly how this works or what circumstances it takes to not break out of it.

ZeroHero
Feb 17, 2007
I'm trying to make levels that aren't too hard but are fun. This levels theme was a fun forest adventure that takes you to space. I'd appreciate the feedback!

Forest Adventure

WD2-JVQ-B4G

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

drat it. Will figure it out a little while later

It was

Warp Box Bad Desert

HGD TR1 J1G

How do I fix that on the spreadsheet?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Just uploaded my first vertical level: Cape Fear

3JL-02W-0HF

It uses the cape and you float down, avoid obstacles, and hit things with your cape. The second section is a fast free fall where you need to hit switches on the left and right side of the screen quickly. When the P switch runs out one of the munchers will die and you need to use the cape to slow down and squeeze through the gap and activate the pow before landing. I tried to tell the player what to do but there's only so much you can do with the tools they give you. The cape is needed to complete the level unless you find some cheese.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I made my first level.

Super Jump Zone
KT5-HT6-NVG

Press JUMP while landing on enemies to bounce extra high.

Couldn’t get myself to get to that checkpoint.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

There's a Maker ID in your profile if you hit "More info" that's similar to the Course IDs, I think that might the only way to find a specific person

Phantasium posted:

When you search by ID in course world, the text that pops up is "Please input the Course ID or Maker ID you want to search for."

Thanka! Is there a way to see my Friends list maker id's or do I need to hit them up outside of the game?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

It was

Warp Box Bad Desert

HGD TR1 J1G

Fixed.

You can submit comments on the sheet on items that are in error, or tweet at me, or post in the thread.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

ZeroHero posted:

I'm trying to make levels that aren't too hard but are fun. This levels theme was a fun forest adventure that takes you to space. I'd appreciate the feedback!

Forest Adventure

WD2-JVQ-B4G

I enjoyed this one a lot. I found it challenging in a good way. The whole thing had a dreamlike quality.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Good Sphere posted:

Couldn’t get myself to get to that checkpoint.

It is a bit deep isn’t it?

Thanks for the feedback.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

It was

Warp Box Bad Desert

HGD TR1 J1G

Killing players with "guess the right pipe" is super unfun. Not having hints and having to backtrack is also unpleasant.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

I needed to make a simple course to get my bearings back with this game, so I made another monty mole-themed level like the trio of levels I made in SMM1.
Return to Mole Valley
YM3-1KJ-XBG

It's pretty easy, but the SMB3 moles look so cute and silly I'm compelled to make courses with them.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So scrolling stages going up are also a complete pain in the rear end, least with the goofy story I tried to make.

Mario (or his friends) have wandered into a part of the woods where adventurers are said to be disappearing. After searching he finds a strange pot cooking something- but as he approaches he's ambushed! A Magikoopa shrinks him and throws him in!! Help Mario escape and chase down the wizard to put a stop to his horrors!!

Magikoopa Hot Pot
MQP - 0RS - 07G

First time making a race stage in the second half so hope it came out good. I also tried to direct players on where to go inside the "pot" due to the limited screen space available. Lemme know if there's anything broken please!

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Pakled posted:

Mushroom Kingdom Prison
K5W-HF0-G5G

Wow fantastic! Just the right level of difficulty for me, where it’s right on the fence of being too much. Subscribed.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Alright, just finished my second level:

Boom Boom's Hideout.
PRF-JML-XPG

Mario has tracked Boom Boom to his fortress. There's nowhere to run now!

Intl Cron
Dec 5, 2005

I'm just an olde-fashioned cowboy...
I'm really enjoying everyone's levels, and better yet, everyone's critiques! Thanks so much for the feedback - I'll keep working through the master Goon spreadsheet and the posts in this thread to contribute, as well.

I'm trying some of the "clear conditions," and I've really been enjoying the "Collect X of X coins" mechanic. It's a nice way to make coins feel more meaningful, while simultaneously encouraging a more "methodical" exploration of a level. Adjusting the difficulty can be done through more challenging coin placements, or making the required total being closer or further from the total amount of coins in the level.

With all that said, I just uploaded Coin Rush in the Mirthless Mines as an "normalish" difficulty exploration of a SMW desert-themed canyon - there are branching paths and lots of different "activities" to explore and earn those sweet, sweet coins.

Coin Rush in the Mirthless Mines
CDS-RH5-JWF

Intl Cron fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 1, 2019

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Pakled posted:

Mushroom Kingdom Prison
K5W-HF0-G5G

This was challenging and at times quite tense. I enjoyed it a lot.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

d3lness posted:

Killing players with "guess the right pipe" is super unfun. Not having hints and having to backtrack is also unpleasant.

This one isn't for guessing, you can run over the top to see where all four go. I don't really consider it having to backtrack because you just go half a screen over

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 1, 2019

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Got my second course done. Making my first course was warmup for this. It's a good deal harder than my first one.

Stompopolis:
RLB-D9F-XYF

A high difficulty course (Was aiming for around late-game/platform bonus level difficulty) where you have to constantly stomp on enemies to reach the goal. It's a pretty short course though.

And if you like speedrunning, it can be barreled through pretty fast.

And yes, this was inspired by Bopopolis in Tropical Freeze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

It is a bit deep isn’t it?

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah I’m not at that level, at least yet. Good to see that it’s there though!