Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

This is like saying Monsters Incorporated was a Fire Emblem game because one of the characters is named Sully

It is actually nothing like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Watched some Persona Q2 interactions and there's a cool one with Shinjiro and Goro were they sort of bond over being loners in their groups and Shinjiro can sorta tell Goro's up to something and tries to give him advice how it's never too late to change and try and find a way to live with yourself. It's cute!

Goro also laughs way too much which really sells how fake he is, i like it

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

My 3DS is dying. It works but pushing the system too hard while playing just turns it off entirely. Glad I got to experience Warioware Gold on it but looks like the SMT games I never got around to will stay unplayed

Cuntellectual posted:

I'd probably feel better about TMS if it had been pitched as something other than a crossover of SMT and FE, because it doesn't really capture uh, anything about what makes either of those series fun.

It's sort of like Persona-lite. It doesn't really have very interesting characters, or a very interesting plot, or great music, or all the side-stuff a real Persona game would. It almost feels like an off-brand knockoff.

I am 99% sure that game was cancelled and redone during development and they just slapped another game in development in there and replaced Personas with Fire Emblem Ghosts. Sort of like FF13vs / FF15

It is especially weird because I also thought Devil Survivor was cool as hell and was excited to see the team's take on a FE game

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I am 99% sure that game was cancelled and redone during development and they just slapped another game in development in there and replaced Personas with Fire Emblem Ghosts. Sort of like FF13vs / FF15

It is especially weird because I also thought Devil Survivor was cool as hell and was excited to see the team's take on a FE game

From what I recall, the 'SMT x FE' project was announced WAY too early. Like, basically right after both companies signed off on the idea, before any actual development work even happened, which inevitably meant that it would end up looking very different from the end result.

It's not the only time Atlus have ended up doing that, of course, but it's probably the one most guilty of things changing after announcement. Still probably better than Persona 5's announcement teaser; while it seems like the broad strokes of P5's concept that they teased stayed relatively consistent (although it seems like the tone took a BIG swerve), they made the mistake of announcing a release date that early, which is basically the dumbest thing you could do.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I think everyone thought oh Atlus is going through the whole Index>Sega transition and it felt like they were gonna close down for some time so people were happy that they didn't

But I think Atlus is actually just very sloppy

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
They did it again with Mega Ten 5 because its been like two years and we still got nothing aside from a teaser trailer.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

My 3DS is dying. It works but pushing the system too hard while playing just turns it off entirely. Glad I got to experience Warioware Gold on it but looks like the SMT games I never got around to will stay unplayed

It might just be a dying battery. Mine won't work at all if it isn't plugged in.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Accordion Man posted:

They did it again with Mega Ten 5 because its been like two years and we still got nothing aside from a teaser trailer.

winter 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cuntellectual posted:

It might just be a dying battery. Mine won't work at all if it isn't plugged in.

I thought so too but it runs just fine until I squeeze it... maybe it could be a loose battery though, I’ll test with it plugged in to see.

I could always transfer everything to my wife’s 3ds too she doesn’t use it anymore

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Captain Baal posted:

The fact they made a character like Barry Goodman and spent the money to get Yuichi Nakamura to voice him and then didn't make him playable is still the greatest crime of that game
Do you really want him playable?
How soon we forget "The Tunnel Home".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhclnbr6u_8

Seriously though his Mamori obsession is really obnoxious and wastes the character.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you are asking me do I want a Nakamura character playable the answer is yes

Where is my Karamatsu action game

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Barry Goodman for Fire Emblem Heroes when?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Barry Goodman for Fire Emblem Heroes when?

I would whale dangerously hard for the manager lady

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Is Japan just overflowing with drunk, middle-aged women hitting on young men or is that purely a masturbatory fantasy trope that Japanese developers keep sticking into their games?

The trope has to be based on something right?

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

TheKingofSprings posted:

I was genuinely surprised she wasn’t the token navigator party member with Robin as her Persona. Feels like a missed opportunity

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Atlas Hugged posted:

Is Japan just overflowing with drunk, middle-aged women hitting on young men or is that purely a masturbatory fantasy trope that Japanese developers keep sticking into their games?

have you never heard of cougars

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The obatarian lurks

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Tarezax posted:

have you never heard of cougars

Yes, I have. But cougars don't make an appearance in every single piece of western media and they certainly don't conform to a highly predictable archetype.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Golden Girls was a famous thing that happened and your generalization doesn't really work for eastern media either, so idk what this lame rear end take is other than stupid

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Atlas Hugged posted:

From my understanding, singles bars are pretty much exclusively older people while younger people go to completely different venues. The salaryman is another very popular trope that is 100% based on a huge number of real men, but those types of characters don't usually stand out because you aren't dating them. Still, there's a lot of representation of drunk older people in all forms of Japanese media, because yet another trope that is 100% true is people going out to drink after work literally all the time, so it's really easy to find bars that are totally packed. So, for any enterprising youth who was interested in dating someone older, you'd pretty much just need to identify a bar where people go after work and yeah, there'd be a solid number of drunken older women willing to hit on you

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Captain Baal posted:

Golden Girls was a famous thing that happened and your generalization doesn't really work for eastern media either, so idk what this lame rear end take is other than stupid

"There once existed a television show" isn't exactly a brilliant take. Apologies if a cast too wide of a net, but my hyperbole aside, you should have known what I meant.

My point was that in a great deal of other JRPGs made by different companies regardless of the time period or world the game is set in, there's an older woman, usually in some kind of position of authority over you (at least at first), who loves to get her drink on and is either a romance option in games that have those or very openly and without and subtlety hits on the protagonist who is usually a young man, and most often under 18.

It's an incredibly specific archetype that I don't think:

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

From my understanding, singles bars are pretty much exclusively older people while younger people go to completely different venues. The salaryman is another very popular trope that is 100% based on a huge number of real men, but those types of characters don't usually stand out because you aren't dating them. Still, there's a lot of representation of drunk older people in all forms of Japanese media, because yet another trope that is 100% true is people going out to drink after work literally all the time, so it's really easy to find bars that are totally packed. So, for any enterprising youth who was interested in dating someone older, you'd pretty much just need to identify a bar where people go after work and yeah, there'd be a solid number of drunken older women willing to hit on you

this quote quite covers. This to me is just the standard, "There's a lot of heavy drinking in East Asia," which I experienced daily since I lived out there (Southeast Asia now so it's even more ridiculous).

I only brought it up because of:

TheKingofSprings posted:

and it reminded me that this character appears again and again in JRPGs. I just wanted to know if there was some more specific reason for it or if there was character from decades ago that popularized it and everything else is just a reference.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I accept my responsibility for causing this derail and in penance post what triggered it:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Atlas Hugged posted:

"There once existed a television show" isn't exactly a brilliant take. Apologies if a cast too wide of a net, but my hyperbole aside, you should have known what I meant.

My point was that in a great deal of other JRPGs made by different companies regardless of the time period or world the game is set in, there's an older woman, usually in some kind of position of authority over you (at least at first), who loves to get her drink on and is either a romance option in games that have those or very openly and without and subtlety hits on the protagonist who is usually a young man, and most often under 18.

It's an incredibly specific archetype that I don't think:

I apologize then for making a low effort snippy comment, these are usually bad faith comments people make and it's really easy to make snide remarks to them. Anyways, to add more to the point being made there's a decent amount of anime and video games that use these stereotypes and yeah, the drunken older lady who hits on younger men does make its way into a decent amount of stuff and there's no real point of origin for it as far as I can tell, it's just a stereotype that gets used and writers like making characters like these sometimes so that's just it. I can't really think of a lot of stereotyped characters that have a base point of origin, even someone like Tora in P5 is just made up of differing Japanese politicians (As is Shido for that matter). He even kinda resembles a current politician in Japan who goes around shouting into a megaphone street side in parks annoying people into voting for him.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I wonder if that prevalence for 'cougar' characters in Japanese games and anime comes from the fact that their protagonists tend to skew towards the 'young adult' range, where you can actually play off of that and have it mean something. In a lot of western media the characters are either younger than that (where the audience wouldn't be open to that trope) or older (where the age difference either wouldn't exist or wouldn't matter) so there's no point in pulling in that character.

Another thing to take into account is that a lot of Asian countries have pretty negative views on older single women. You pass a certain (fairly young) age and society on the whole considers it really weird and sad if you're a woman who isn't married yet, and so it becomes a subject of ridicule.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Cleretic posted:

Another thing to take into account is that a lot of Asian countries have pretty negative views on older single women. You pass a certain (fairly young) age and society on the whole considers it really weird and sad if you're a woman who isn't married yet, and so it becomes a subject of ridicule.

I think this works in conjunction with the fact that there's a much higher number of single/unmarried older women in Japan (because there's just way more single people in general). In America, it's kind of uncommon for someone over the age of 30 to not be married on in a relationship

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

In America, it's kind of uncommon for someone over the age of 30 to not be married on in a relationship

ouch

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yes, I have. But cougars don't make an appearance in every single piece of western media
maybe they should

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The future is now, old man

but no me too

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Expect My Mom posted:

maybe they should

I'd be fine with that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

In America, it's kind of uncommon for someone over the age of 30 to not be married on in a relationship

We also ridicule older lonely people, though. It's just usually trained on the men (think The 40 Year Old Virgin), women like thst are usually more sympathetic.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Cleretic posted:

women like thst are usually more sympathetic.

ouch :v:

Just going to retire with my cats soon.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
DDS is way more platable when it doesn't take twenty seconds for each individual battle model to load in

they should have made more Chill "Easy" SMT games

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I view anime as pre and post evangelion so to me drunk adult women hitting on teenagers are just another stock archetype used for cargo cult reasons alongside violent tsunderes and quiet mysterious girls.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
naaaaaaaah man, lum invader was having mood swings and calling her crush "baka" way before Asuka left Germany

same with older women

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Totes, plus the archetypes and their casts have changed with time (at one point Haruhi was the baseline for harem casts, nowadays the standard is probably some other Light Novel but I'm not versed enough in them to point out which one) but I'm just saying that at this point I automatically take for granted that in any YA piece intended for male audiences there'll be at least three women and one of them is going to be either an adult or at least older sister type.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Haruhi isnt that different from most harem nowadays. They just added more girls/archetypes for maximum appeal.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cleretic posted:

I wonder if that prevalence for 'cougar' characters in Japanese games and anime comes from the fact that their protagonists tend to skew towards the 'young adult' range, where you can actually play off of that and have it mean something. In a lot of western media the characters are either younger than that (where the audience wouldn't be open to that trope) or older (where the age difference either wouldn't exist or wouldn't matter) so there's no point in pulling in that character.

In Japan they used to call women Christmas Cakes because nobody wants you after the 25th

But to be fair this is still a really common view across all parts of Asia, I'm Middle Eastern and a mother will cry about her 30 year old daughter being unmarried and I work with a lot of Indian and Chinese people who tell me the same thing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

In Japan they used to call women Christmas Cakes because nobody wants you after the 25th

It's a really insulting name, but honestly, damned if it's not clever, props to the guy (it was definitely a guy) who came up with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I will be eating Christmas desserts all the way into January. Who are these people who throw out slightly stale sweets