Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Had a rough week, and heard Graveyard Keeper was a pretty chill game to relax with. Well, looks like the game itself seems interesting enough with a bunch of content, but good lord this Switch port..

Just a warning to others eyeing this thing, it has more input lag than the mars rover - controlling your character feels really, really bad. Various descriptions also glitch all over the place, and this prevents you from doing basic things like checking what various upgrades in the tech trees do at all; the text is out of the screen (and clips out of the text box) & you can't scroll it so you have to pick them blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

s.i.r.e. posted:

Hate to break it to you, but it's solo only. No co-op this time.

"Always one step backwards; it's the Square way."

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

looks like alex is enjoying himself. that's the power of the 'cube i'd say.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Playing Saints Row 3 just makes me wish they’d put GTA 4 on this thing.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I picked up Ninjin because I remember the demo was pretty fun and it's dirt cheap on sale. A fast-paced time killer for just a few gold coins is a good deal.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sudden Javelin posted:

Yep, in fact there's a highly rated Game Boy themed level I played yesterday that has that exact win condition (finish as Superball Mario)

Oh no someone took my genius idea! (Do you have the ID)

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

nachos posted:

It’s so loving bad. I’m shelving it until some patches come out and I have a high tolerance for bad graphics and framerates.

I got scared off the Switch version and got it on PS4 and even that one feels like it's in danger of crashing at any moment (and has for me once already in only ~3 hours of playtime)

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Oh no someone took my genius idea! (Do you have the ID)

8T3-11F-D6G

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Anyone buy SMM2 just to play multiplayer and other people's courses? How is the multiplayer? I saw a streamer having to requeue for every level, which seemed a bit too much downtime for what could be a bad level. I'm still trying to decide if I buy the game or just save my vouchers for MUA3 and Astral chain.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

Anyone buy SMM2 just to play multiplayer and other people's courses? How is the multiplayer? I saw a streamer having to requeue for every level, which seemed a bit too much downtime for what could be a bad level. I'm still trying to decide if I buy the game or just save my vouchers for MUA3 and Astral chain.

Nintendo being Nintendo the netcode is really bad, if anyone in the session has a bad connection then the game freezes or runs in slow motion for everyone else.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

bushisms.txt posted:

Played about 30% of the campaign so far along with around 5 user courses. Downloading them and playing them solo is totally fine. Haven't tried actual multiplayer yet, but knowing nintendo, im sure its garbage.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

repiv posted:

Nintendo being Nintendo the netcode is really bad, if anyone in the session has a bad connection then the game freezes or runs in slow motion for everyone else.

It's also strangely addictive because when it works well it's amazing.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The problem is when you have a kid who barely knows how to play Mario but now he's got the power and the raging 5-year-old meticulousness to make his own mad creations.

I haven't been able to ply it away from him to get more than 20% into story mode.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

repiv posted:

I mean, that's pretty much every fighting game ever now, so that's a standard experience.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

I can’t believe I’m in the timeline where someone knew how much I loved the somewhat obscure title SD3 and then remade it just for me.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Super Mario Maker 2 is like WarioWare in that there's all these cursed visions of Mario games, with all these bootleg soundfx from where tf ever, it's absolutely great

Though, I'll never even touch the surface of this game's potential due to time constraints. I made one stage and I'll probably make another. But I gotta beat most of Story Mode to get the Superball power up I need for my next design...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMawD2ZOO2s

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The superball unlocks at like 20% story mode.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

repiv posted:

this is how netcode works. there is no other way for it to work. you cannot just magically make someone not have bad connection via code

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Bleck posted:

this is how netcode works. there is no other way for it to work. you cannot just magically make someone not have bad connection via code
If it were server based and one person had a bad connection it wouldn't effect everyone playing. It would effect that one person.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
50% of all online vs matches are unplayably laggy. Unless you're a masochist just avoid it until the update that lets you play with friends comes out and you can make sure everyone has a good connection.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

There's a reason Nintendo only put online in a spin off Mario game before a main line. Folks been saying they should've had it for years, but this is what you get. Imagine if this was supposed to be levels you played straight and weren't made by crazy people, folks would be way more mad.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

American McGay posted:

If it were server based and one person had a bad connection it wouldn't effect everyone playing. It would effect that one person.

It would though. If someone is lagging badly on a server based connection what happens when the server tries to find out who got a power up first? What if a player who isn’t lagging gets a power up first on their screen but after the laggy players connection syncs with the server the server decides the laggy player got it first? Or what if a laggy player catches up and has smashed a block another player was using to jump or land on? There’s a ton of rubberbanding issues to take into account for a system that affects one player only. The reason lag causes everyone’s game to slow down is that it prevents scenarios like that from happening, not because it’s P2P. Its a design choice so everyone is seeing the same thing. It’s why online multiplayer platforming in the style of classic Mario isn’t all that great an idea despite people demanding it. Platforming in the style of the newer 3D Mario’s are much better suited for it because it doesn’t require such split second jumps or precision

The best option would be that if a player causes the game to slow down a certain amount of time, cumulatively, they get booted out of the game. Having one player become desynced in this style of platformer would be a nightmare

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean we have server based games and they work really well. I think a simple platformer isn’t going to crush the system

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean we have server based games and they work really well. I think a simple platformer isn’t going to crush the system

There are a bunch of things handled client side in those same exact games that results in desynced values,ie physics via rag dolls, projectiles and more resulting in "unfair" deaths.

None of those things require interactions like "simple" Mario games do where almost every object is in play with full collision detection between players.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
And yet they generally run better, weird

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

But they utilize rubberbanding when someone has a bad connection. Ask anyone about the times in a FPS they were behind a wall but suddenly get killed because a laggy players system reports they shot them and the server determines that was correct. For other games you can fudge it a bit to make that not be so obvious (an example is how TF2 and other Source games handle it) but that’s because those games don’t require snap inputs and precise movement control on the level of classic platforming. Server hosting would probably cut down on those who are lagging but it wouldn’t solve the issue of when there is someone lagging it slows down everyone in a run. You can’t do lag compensation in the same way as say Call of Duty or TF2

CharlestheHammer posted:

And yet they generally run better, weird

They “run better” because there is code that literally fudges player input and position. If there wasn’t things like FPS games couldn’t function. You can’t do that for something like a 2-D platformer

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Cadence of Hyrule is so good. So much better than it has any right to be.

I tried Crypt of the Necrodancer, and liked the teo-tapping gameplay but I am bad at these games and I hate roguelikes. It's too frustrating for me to go back over two levels of stuff I've mastered just to get a glimpse of a bit I don't know yet, and then die and then do it again.

Cadence solves that problem entirely with the mixture of Zelda-like progression but some losses in death—that felt really good. Like many people have said before, does get too easy towards the end—by which I mean you can brute force your way through the boss fights. The game is at its best when you feel like you are dancing and I really want the boss fights to feel like dances. The best moments of the game are when you're dealing with screens full of turn-based projectiles.

Plus it scratches the Zelda itch, the Zelda nostalgia, and has playable Zelda. Great game. I can see myself picking it up to play many more times. It's a real make your own fun kind of game. Looking forward to going back and mastering some of the weirder weapons.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Nintendo has done motion prediction stuff in Mario Kart 8, which is how you end up with situations where you see someone get hit with a shell on your end but on their end it missed them. In a platformer like Mario, stuff warping around would be even worse than having it just run like poo poo.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I understand the argument but if the way Nintendo designed multiplayer means there’s no choice but for the game to be painfully framey half the time then...maybe they should’ve considered that

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Hat Thoughts posted:

I understand the argument but if the way Nintendo designed multiplayer means there’s no choice but for the game to be painfully framey half the time then...maybe they should’ve considered that

Please name games that don't have net code issues.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Nintendo has done motion prediction stuff in Mario Kart 8, which is how you end up with situations where you see someone get hit with a shell on your end but on their end it missed them. In a platformer like Mario, stuff warping around would be even worse than having it just run like poo poo.
There's nothing worse than having it run like poo poo.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

bushisms.txt posted:

TF2

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

LAFFO please Google tf2 hitboxes

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

bushisms.txt posted:

It’s just like painfully bad half the time. If that was insurmountable they should’ve designed it differently. Let players wait for higher quality connections, keep a lobby for players who press try again so you don’t get kicked back to matchmaking after every map.
I don’t doubt they’ll patch it (like Smash) but currently, it stinks!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I’ve definitely had some laggy matches, but the majority of my Versus matches in SMM2 have run fine, even on WiFi.

Don’t know how lucky I’ve been compared to everyone else, though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

bushisms.txt posted:

LAFFO please Google tf2 hitboxes

He could mean Titanfall 2 and not Team Fortress, and if he's referring to Titanfall he's right.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Nobody refers to Titanfall 2 as TF2 or indeed at all

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

soooo then how does nintendo do smash online which also depends on exact movement and needing to know who grabbed an item first and etc??

enlighten

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

RandomFerret posted:

Nobody refers to Titanfall 2 as TF2 or indeed at all

I do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Titanfall 2 is good.