Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Jesters are fine, especially where their bleed works decently in Weald and Warrens. You just prioritize killing damage dealers over stress dealers instead of the usual reverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Jester has a place he just requires different team composition, he’s one of the heroes that can get high enough to stop the final boss from doing it’s mechanic for example.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Graverobber is fine. Her baseline damage isn't that bad and she brings a ton of speed, accuracy, and flexibility to the table. If you want DPS that can hang out in back it's hard to beat GR.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
With the exception of the afore mentioned overlap of Musketeer and Arbalest, I don’t think there are really any heroes that are bad. Except for Vestal, there aren’t any heroes that are just good by themselves - they are all situational, and a team that works great together in the cove may be poo poo in the warrens.

I know coolguye will roil at this, but I almost always have a jester or hound master for chip stress heal on every run. Jester is not good in the crypts, and can struggle in cove without +bleed bonuses. But his ability to either buff/heal and kit for bleed or finale damage has earned a 2 slots in my rosters

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I find the Man at Arms pretty useless, myself. There's a lot of characters who want that front spot, and the MaA doesn't bring enough to justify taking him if I have a Leper or Hellion (or even a Crusader or Hiwayman) available.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cythereal posted:

I find the Man at Arms pretty useless, myself. There's a lot of characters who want that front spot, and the MaA doesn't bring enough to justify taking him if I have a Leper or Hellion (or even a Crusader or Hiwayman) available.

Man at Arms is a solid support front liner, and works well when he’s got heroes you want him to take hits for. He makes some bosses a joke for roughly this reason.

He’s also the only frontliner who can stand at the back and just shout and guard instead of attacking himself.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

Backhand posted:

So is everybody still agreed that jester is almost totally useless? What other classes are a waste? I've enjoyed graverobbers in movement-based parties; Lunge is a fairly nasty attack and Pickaxe is nice for ignoring Protection, but I have to admit they seem pretty lackluster for anything else.

I love the Jester personally. I generally equip them with dirk stab, finale, the crit+speed song, and the stress heal. Their mobility with stab and finale make them extremely useful when your party is surprised or being shuffled by enemies, and the stress heal's usefulness is self-explanatory. I find myself usually starting the fight with one or two of the crit songs and then going from there, or using the dirk stab for a bit of extra damage against enemies in the rear ranks. The crit buff stacks and really can't be underestimated; when your whole party is getting +10% crits I often find you don't even NEED the stress song. My favorite parties are vestal jester crusader(With lance) leper or vestal jester crusader(With lance) hellion. The survivability both these parties have is insane; When camping on medium or long dungeons I rarely have to heal or destress and can instead take all the crazy buffs my party has, even on the toughest dungeons.

Also don't underestimate the 1-2 combo of your jester starting in rank 3 behind the crusader and dirk-stabbing forward followed by the crusader lancing forward afterwards; You can keep doing this until you need to do something else and can usually eliminate the rear ranks pretty quickly. Once those are dealt with you can destress the entire party with Jester/Crusader and top yourself off before moving on to the next fight.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the jester's mostly a target not because he is actively dead weight like the antiquarian, but because he's just not helpful to most overall goals. he's good at stress healing and that's actually relevant now in a couple niche situations like endless harvest, but beyond that i feel like you need to ask what you are NOT taking because you have a clown.

if the answer to that question is "a grave robber" or "a bounty hunter" or "an abomination" or "an arbalest" or you get the idea the point is hang the clown.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

Coolguye posted:

if the answer to that question is "a grave robber" or "a bounty hunter" or "an abomination" or "an arbalest" or you get the idea the point is hang the clown.

I mean I get where you’re coming from but I’ve never once felt by bringing one I am missing out on something better. I personally don’t particularly care for arbalest or the abomination but that’s one of the things I love most about this game... there are a LOT of viable party combos and really the only character I consider crucial for any party is the vestal. Really wish there was another main-line healer or two in the game.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Person Dyslexic posted:

I mean I get where you’re coming from but I’ve never once felt by bringing one I am missing out on something better. I personally don’t particularly care for arbalest or the abomination but that’s one of the things I love most about this game... there are a LOT of viable party combos and really the only character I consider crucial for any party is the vestal. Really wish there was another main-line healer or two in the game.

are you at red dungeons yet? that is where you really start seeing the major losses due to opportunity cost. it is visible at lower levels but it doesn't matter nearly as much because your teams are still quite a bit more powerful than the content.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Jester: He works very well in conjunction with Abomination--he can keep stress down and Harvest hits the same targets as beasts bile. Groups that already have a lot of movement like Shield breaker/Grave Robber/Highwayman etc also do well with the mobile Jester. His camping skills are also very useful.

Man at Arms: His guard + retribution combo is super useful,and unlike the Leper he has a stun.

Grave Robber : Giving her lots of crit speed and dodge means you can have runs where she never gets hit and heals all her stress from tons of crits. On the flip side, she can eat two crits in a row and fail her Deaths Door check.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
When my leper takes the field, he usually has his court Jester in tow.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

Coolguye posted:

are you at red dungeons yet? that is where you really start seeing the major losses due to opportunity cost. it is visible at lower levels but it doesn't matter nearly as much because your teams are still quite a bit more powerful than the content.

Beaten the game a few times! I find his crit increase only gets more powerful as time goes on.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

man expecting anything to do with crits has always been a horrifically losing proposition ime

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Since the Endless Harvest balance changes, it's no longer feasible to max out your accuracy by using trinkets. The Jester's accuracy and crit buff is very useful now, and it's more effective to kill enemies faster with it than to spam his stress heal.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

Hannibal Rex posted:

Since the Endless Harvest balance changes, it's no longer feasible to max out your accuracy by using trinkets. The Jester's accuracy and crit buff is very useful now, and it's more effective to kill enemies faster with it than to spam his stress heal.

Yeah I only ever spam his stress heal at the very end of battles when there isn’t much threatening left on harder dungeons. It’s slower but I find it much safer; Your mileage may vary though!

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
Ok I understand I'm a worthless person but I'm just now getting into this game. As a result, could someone walk me through savescumming this gsme on PC? I have a crew I like getting absolutely wrecked by the Swine Prince and would prefer not to have to grind a couple of days to level back again :)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
antigrind mods

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
And also mark clearing abilities for the sweet prince.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
So there's no way to go back even to the start if the fight? I reqlly like this hellion and leper :/

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

No. Accept the inevitable, go back to the Hamlet and get a new set of disposable idiots.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Hawgh posted:

And also mark clearing abilities for the sweet prince.

I know this is an autocorrect fail but still, lol

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

burnsep posted:

Ok I understand I'm a worthless person but I'm just now getting into this game. As a result, could someone walk me through savescumming this gsme on PC? I have a crew I like getting absolutely wrecked by the Swine Prince and would prefer not to have to grind a couple of days to level back again :)

Fresh meat arrives at the estate each week. Recruiting new people costs nothing. As you upgrade the town, you'll get the option to have new recruits start pre leveled which saves time.

When fighting bosses, always have your whole party be the max level for that difficulty (so level 2 for novice). This ensures you have the most health and damage for the fight. Also try to have heroes that aren't already stressed.

The safest approach is to have a deep roster by upgrading your barracks, so you can always have fresh replacements if some heroes get wrecked with stress and quirks. Only upgrade heroes you are using that battle, and don't be afraid to abort a mission if it isn't going well.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I always try things slightly differently each time I fire this game back up. I learned a lesson this time: Focusing purely on low-level heroes and Furnace / Instructor upgrades to get your "economy" up to snuff for later missions and make upgrades relatively painless? Doesn't work that great. All that happened was A) my lack of stagecoach upgrades meant I often had very subpar hero choices each week - I fired my initial plague doctor when she got afflicted on Week 3, then basically never got offered another one. B) Upgrading the price efficiency of the forge and guild worked great at first, but left me painfully low on Deeds and Portraits later, when it came time to upgrade the actual production abilities.

And C), initially spamming low-rank missions as a way of temporarily getting around my lack of upgraded production tiers meant two things. One, that I eventually hit a break point where everybody was ready to go up a rung and my available pool of missions shrank as a result of no longer having rookies for the low level stuff. And two, the rewards for higher level missions are often quite a bit better than the novice stuff.... so instead of saving resources for when I really needed them, I was mostly just denying myself opportunities for more lucrative rewards.

Live and learn, I guess.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I generally try to focus on getting pre leveled heroes asap and build up the pre requisites to do so. Being able to get level 3 guys right out of the gate saves time and the fact that they have all their skills ranked up to that point saves a TON of money.

psilo
Oct 18, 2009

So I bought this game couple days ago and was wondering how much should I care about my lvl 0-1 heroes' quirks, diseases and so on? For example I got one lvl1 grave robber with 5 red quirks, three with skulls on them (what ever that means) and of course one affliction. Is it worth spending money treating her or should I just dismiss the hero and recruit a new one?

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

psilo posted:

So I bought this game couple days ago and was wondering how much should I care about my lvl 0-1 heroes' quirks, diseases and so on? For example I got one lvl1 grave robber with 5 red quirks, three with skulls on them (what ever that means) and of course one affliction. Is it worth spending money treating her or should I just dismiss the hero and recruit a new one?

Either send them to their death, or dismiss them. The cost to treat her early game will far outstrip relative value.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
Depends on the flaws. Everyone's going to end up with a full set of flaws eventually. If they're all relatively minor, it might be a benefit to keep the hero, since you already know their weaknesses.

Skulls mean the flaw has 'set' and will cost a lot more to remove.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Coolguye posted:

the jester's mostly a target not because he is actively dead weight like the antiquarian, but because he's just not helpful to most overall goals.

I feel the need to repeat again that this is not really the case. A decently upgraded Battle Ballad means handing out crits like they're going out of style, makes you hit first and hit more accurately. And it stacks. It's 'free' stress healing on top of everything else, and he can swat at things in a pinch if he has to.

I used to hate the Jester, to the point that I got two of them up to level 6 on account of the Idle Jester event popping up more frequently than usual. Decided to upgrade both of them and took a chance on seeing how they played. In the end, I dragged him and his clones into the darkest dungeon runs and the team I had barely needed stress heals thanks to all the crits. After a brutal wipe my first time through and everyone turning into babbling idiots (except the occultist who, with all of 1 HP remaining, popped for a Virtue), it was like playing on easy mode.

It's good stuff.

EDIT: In a stupid twist of fate, Jester was the only class that kept insisting on going Afflicted during my attempts at Endless Harvest. Haven't attempted to do it again, that poo poo was taking forever.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 18, 2019

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

again, i'm not really convinced on the crit angle because every time i try to stack his crits or whatever i end up not getting enough of them to actually end the fight faster, but it's really clear that if i had just used those actions on attacking rather than buffing it would've been gg nextmap two turns ago. nothing's a guarantee in DD but when i consider opportunity cost, you'd better believe i am taking a 90+% chance of clobbering some dingus to death rather than an extra 10% to really clobber some dingus somewhere down the line (which may never come, because the entire point of general DD combat is that it is short, nasty, and incredibly dangerous).

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

psilo posted:

anyone who isn't level 3 or higher is expendable and should be thrown into the grinder until they either die or achieve relevance

don't bother dismissing them, just wait until you have 4 you want to ditch and then do a no equipment suicide run to try and wring some use out of them

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The problem that comes up in the game with endless debates about healing, buffs, and crits is that because it's a turn based game with only two item slots,realistically your options are limited. You also get penalized for skipping a turn. So action economy is a big deal, making it tricky to justify any actions that aren't directly killing enemies. The game is addictive in its simplicity but that simplicity has its downsides.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Old Boot posted:

I feel the need to repeat again that this is not really the case. A decently upgraded Battle Ballad means handing out crits like they're going out of style, makes you hit first and hit more accurately. And it stacks. It's 'free' stress healing on top of everything else, and he can swat at things in a pinch if he has to.

I dunno, I am a huge fan of pulling double duty with extra damage and stress healing via crits, but even so, the jester's buff isn't THAT large.... it's, what, a 6% crit chance buff at low levels? And like a 10% at max? That's huge over time, for sure, but your odds of critting on any given hit are still quite low and you're sacrificing an action that could be used for something else every time you use it. I mean, if it works for you, awesome. I just personally found it.... useful, but not tremendously so.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's better than his wenis attacks, at least. I've said it before, I think, but the Jester is an awful kit redeemed by having the best stress heal in the game.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

psilo posted:

I got one lvl1 grave robber with 5 red quirks, three with skulls on them (what ever that means)

The skulls mean those quirks are locked in. Up to three positive and three negative quirks can be locked at a time. Whenever you get a new quirk and already have 5 of that type (positive or negative), one random unlocked quirk of that type will be replaced with the new one. Negative quirks get locked in if left long enough without treatment. Positive quirks only lock in if you pay a hefty sum at the sanitarium. Locked negative quirks can still be treated but it's a lot more expensive.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
EDIT: ^^^ Expenses also cease to matter if you go in on the bank early on, but yeah, between fixing quirks and leveling poo poo, expect to be impoverished in the early game, bank or no bank.

Backhand posted:

I dunno, I am a huge fan of pulling double duty with extra damage and stress healing via crits, but even so, the jester's buff isn't THAT large.... it's, what, a 6% crit chance buff at low levels? And like a 10% at max? That's huge over time, for sure, but your odds of critting on any given hit are still quite low and you're sacrificing an action that could be used for something else every time you use it. I mean, if it works for you, awesome. I just personally found it.... useful, but not tremendously so.

It stacks up to 18%, which can be huge if you maintain it/already have some crit stacking going on via camp skills and trinkets. That, and I think I ended most of my boss battles in the DD with him slamming Finale for 150-someodd damage. It was wonderfully brutal.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 29, 2019

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Hawgh posted:

Depends on the flaws. Everyone's going to end up with a full set of flaws eventually. If they're all relatively minor, it might be a benefit to keep the hero, since you already know their weaknesses.

Skulls mean the flaw has 'set' and will cost a lot more to remove.

To go along with this, obviously some flaws and quirks are better then others.

A very quick guide is that any flaw that is about where a hero can go in the Hamlet (Place A Only / Not Allowed in place B) is usually one that is worth letting get locked in. (As long as they dont over lap.)

Anything that reduces DMG / PROT / HP or is a blank increase in stress is something to get rid of ASAP.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:thunk:

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

what is this from my dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Darkest Trenches