Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Materant posted:

Backing that up, as far as the seasons in the game are concerned, the Season of Winter is a season devoid of any happening. Stillness, silence, and ending: the three things that embody Winter, both in its lore and physical manifestations.

I think that's called the season of stillness, but the icon for it does depict a snowflake. And you have to use health to pass the white door's chill, and so forth; I feel like if the association of Winter with cold is not explicitly stated, that's only because it's so implicitly obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

cat nooooo :(

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the principle of Edge is something you need to be particularly careful with.

honestly giving him grapes in a bunch as opposed to by the individual grape would be appreciably dangerous; there is power in Division, as the Lionsmith's shattered blade taught the Colonel.

Yeah but he has form in loving up edge rituals so

I end up with bizarre grudges against cultists due to their failings over many histories. Clovette, in my games, simply cannot be relied on to disperse notoriety at essential points - that's always Leo's job

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I can't help but wonder if there's some bug somewhere making summoned creatures fail at destroying evidence a lot more than they should.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
What I find particularly interesting about Winter is that it is also the principle associated with mercy, sadness and possibly empathy. The Elegiast is a Winter Hour characterised by grieving and mourning for those who have died, and the Sunset Rite requires genuine tears. It’s a sort of inversion of Lantern, which is merciless light.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Reveilled posted:

What I find particularly interesting about Winter is that it is also the principle associated with mercy, sadness and possibly empathy. The Elegiast is a Winter Hour characterised by grieving and mourning for those who have died, and the Sunset Rite requires genuine tears. It’s a sort of inversion of Lantern, which is merciless light.

Not necessarily an inversion. Madrugad is the most merciful Hour and is associated with both Lantern and Winter.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Do you always end up hungry for something that kills the poo poo out of people?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's just having a nice conversation with them. After that they just go away. :3:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Artificer posted:

Do you always end up hungry for something that kills the poo poo out of people?

No. It's only grail and lantern who do. Forge, on the other hand, just burns through money in a literal fashion.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
Any chance you could post your final board state? I'm curious.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Twitch prime giveaways of cultist sim this month. You wont have access to purchasing dlcs probably but hey its a way of trying it out.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

NewMars posted:

No. It's only grail and lantern who do. Forge, on the other hand, just burns through money in a literal fashion.

Knock also kills the poo poo out of people specifically you, it breaks the goddamned poo poo out of you.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I killed so many people on my winter run until I realized you could explore with your dedication.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Junpei posted:

You know, I was re-reading the stuff on Winter, and I noticed that, while death and silence are the main focus, there doesn't seem to be more than a superficial connection to ice or snow or the cold.
Cold is literally an absence of energy. The second law of thermodynamics implies that one day, the last star will burn out, and all life in the universe will end in cold, peaceful stillness. What could be more Winter than that?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

I killed so many people on my winter run until I realized you could explore with your dedication.

absolutely the same

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Solis posted:

Any chance you could post your final board state? I'm curious.

I can't quite post the final one since I don't have a screenshot without an action open from the end of the game, but here is how things looked near to the end, just before I ate my second follower's brains, 15 minutes before the final ritual.

You might note a bunch of Cultists-not-appearing-in-this-film, I wanted to keep the character count more manageable, and I didn't actually use any of them at other points (except to swallow dread and such via inductions and promotions).

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

what's the main difference between named and unnamed minions? my only idea is that unnamed ones are meant to be perceived as less important, but are functionally identical otherwise

this is surely incorrect

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The generic minions go nuts at more power.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

where the red fern gropes posted:

what's the main difference between named and unnamed minions? my only idea is that unnamed ones are meant to be perceived as less important, but are functionally identical otherwise

this is surely incorrect

Unnamed ones are mechanically weaker. Named cultists start (at recruitment) with 2 in their Aspect, then go up to 5; cult-aligned ones can go further to 10. Unnamed ones all start at 1 Edge, then gain 2 in whatever their Aspect is, and that's as far as they go -- they can't be promoted to the final stage. They're disposable losers in basically every way.

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

The generic minions go nuts at more power.

Only the Moth pawn does this in my experience, so I usually offer them up to Poppy when I can. The pawns (the unnamed minions) do not have as much of their favored aspect when promoted as named minions, and they can't be romanced, but are otherwise usable for everything else you'd use a disciple for.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Can you consume people other than your own cultists?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sure but we've got food at home.

edit im not sorry

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 2, 2019

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Great LP.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Can you consume people other than your own cultists?

Yes, but you have to send a Grail or Edge minion to lure or capture them, which generates notoriety and can fail (the notoriety is guaranteed, the capture is not). If you have more cultists than you expect need, it's much more efficient to use them.

... Incidentally, you /can/ cheese a bit by sending out for hirelings, then imprison the hireling after hiring them. Slightly more expensive, and still generates notoriety, but doesn't risk injury to your cultist.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

edit im not sorry

Gold.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Synthbuttrange posted:

edit im not sorry

nor should you be, i find this correct in all particulars including the malformed thing in the corner desiring a big mac :hmmyes:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Big Macs, truly the physical manifestation of the principle of excessive appetite.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

raw prophets are good slitherdogs and should be rewarded with burgers

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Synthbuttrange posted:

edit im not sorry

I love it, thanks

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I bounced off this game hard when it first came out but bc I got it when it first came out I'm going to try again with the dlc. At least now I have some idea what to do, although I'm not going to go for a Lantern ascension to keep things surprising for me.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I'm considering how to do the next stage of this, and I have a bit of a conundrum. Just like happened with Lydia and Kate, when you start a new playthrough the game remembers stuff from your previous playthrough and uses it to generate lore for your next one. In an apostle playthrough, this is used to keep some of the elements of your previous cult. One of the things it provides you is your last promoted cultist, as a sort of instant sidekick. Problem is, our last promoted cultist was Cat Caro, who will therefore appear at the immediate beginning of our apostle playthrough. As far as the game is concerned, Cat is still alive.

There's two different ways I can deal with that. One is to save edit the game to have someone else be the first cultist. The other is to assume that in the history where the Apostle playthrough happened, the final ritual proceeded a little differently:

quote:

She called me to the Mithraeum. We shared a long embrace, and said our goodbyes. She panicked a little, and started suggesting that maybe she should give up on her dream and stay here in this wretched existence merely because I remained. I shook my head, and then kissed her. "You don't belong here, Kate," I said. "None of us do. You have the chance to escape. Let us make you a god." Still she seemed reluctant, so I chuckled, trying to break the ice. "Anyway, would you really deny me the chance to be a god's lover?" We stared into each other's eyes, and I could tell she was hesitating. "Come on," I said, "it's time for you to go."

It was time. Clifton and I divided the ichor into two bowls, and stood at opposite ends of the room. We circled the chamber, careful to stay opposite one another, mirroring our movements perfectly. We drew the shape of the tricuspid gate on the floor. As we performed the motions, we felt eyes upon us. Other members of the Mirror were watching, of course, but I felt the Watchman himself turn his gaze to us. Once the pattern had been traced on the ground, We said the Words. Then, with a blade each, we three cut our hands, and traced the circle once more, two parts life to one part light.

As we completed the final trace, the magic took on a life of its own. I saw the light get pulled out of Her to fill the circle. Clifton and I watched the light flow across the circle, and mingle with our blood, being drained deeply, as we'd expected. Neville and Enid were there to support us, helping us to our feet as we almost collapsed from the loss of blood. Then there was a flash, the gate in the floor opened.

She stood on the edge, staring at me. She was crying. Despite all this, she was crying. She said nothing, but I could see it in her eyes, begging, pleading with me to ask her to turn back. She stood on the very edge of immortality. One step would be all she would need. But she was caught between two desires. Neville helped me circle the portal to where she was. I stretched out my arms and we embraced once more. She was sobbing.

"Oh, Kate," I said, "I'm so sorry you went through all this to feel this way now." She hugged me tightly, and we held like that for what felt like an eternity. When we released, I stared once again into those strange, light-touched eyes of hers.

And then, without another word, I pushed.

So. Save Edit, or Secret History?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Secret History

I guess I'm a sucker for happy endings even for unremorseful terrible people when they are the main characters in a story!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I kind of assumed you were planning on Cat to be the PoV protagonist of the apostle run, although I suppose Clifton could fill that role as well. I guess Secret History just for the continuity of it.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Secret History is much more in the vein of the game.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Save edit gets my vote. I feel like the tragic end was a great denouement and it's some other character's time to shine now. (also Cat Caro was my initial cultist in my own botched apostle run so I'd like to see someone else.)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Save Edit, and put Clifton in instead. The ending with Cat Caro dying as punishment for Kate rushing in without the research seems so perfect for a Lantern ascension.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Secret History What really goes on beyond the event horizon of a magic circle? Decent minds are better off not worrying about such things.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
Edit the save file. Cults don't have perfect endings and immortality comes only at great cost.

Also Cultist Simulator is currently free on Twitch Prime.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Secret History!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I am fine either way, because both are well written, but if Clifton is the protagonist this has to be an all-caps LP