Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Maaaack to the left of me/
Kennnnworth to the right/
Here I am/
Stuck in a tunnel with youuuuuu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Powershift posted:

I'd imagine the first guy was like "hah, he got stuck, what an idiot, luckily my truck is one inch lower and *schrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrch*"

How?

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

I don't think they went wide enough while turning right and dragged the rear wheels up the barrier

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Press down then up really quickly, then Y and left at the same time.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Willfrey posted:

Hällo, I'm Jönni Knūsvill an this is sauna bømb!

I enjoyed this post.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Anu maksa pillu kakka kulli paska muna.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

the one on the right tried the "let the air out of your tires trick" to no avail

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

sick rail grind, dude

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Ah, me playing American Truck Sim.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

null_pointer posted:

Maaaack to the left of me/
Kennnnworth to the right/
Here I am/
Stuck in a tunnel with youuuuuu

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hugh Malone posted:

I don't think they went wide enough while turning right and dragged the rear wheels up the barrier

YEah but if the driver wasn’t doing a hit of crack you’d think he’d feel some resistance.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Burt Sexual posted:

YEah but if the driver wasn’t doing a hit of crack you’d think he’d feel some resistance.

I feel like maybe they thought they just hopped the curb at first, and also had a fair bit of momentum coming around the corner.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/jKfE9P4.mp4

Looks like someone's going fishing! :haw:

This is a very very bad no good day. Basically, the entire drill string, which is made of up joints of drill pipe and could be a mile long and weigh thousands of pounds just hosed off down the hole.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Was there anything holding it up other than, uh, hopes and prayers?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Was there anything holding it up other than, uh, hopes and prayers?

Yeah, the thing you see pop out when the pipe shoulder hits the deck are called pipe slips.

They use the pipe's own weight to secure it.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Willfrey posted:

Hällo, I'm Jönni Knūsvill an this is sauna bømb!

I would watch this.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

These are automatic pipe slips.

https://i.imgur.com/Le2seLj.mp4

Anybody good at reading body language?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Powershift posted:

"I'm a little teaport short and stout"

I assume the next part was handle- and spout-related

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Powershift posted:

He's looking at your title

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So is that recoverable at all, in either of those cases? What happens next?

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

Lots of yelling and cursing.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

YOU SEND IN THE CRABS!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They make special tools designed to retrieve dropped stuff from holes. Not sure if they make one that will work in this case tho.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

More than likely perfectly recoverable. You'd run in with some fishing tools, likely an overshot and bumper sub, latch on to the tool joint and get it out. Very carefully. Not that I had to add that bit.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Depending on how far it dropped and what they expect the damage to be, they either try to go down and grab it with special tools, what's called fishing, or cement it off above the mangled metal and kick off the cement plug and keep drilling beside their mess.

Fishing can be as hard as you imagine. A hole thousands of feet deep and you have a device on the end of a really long stick to try to grab what you dropped.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Bad Munki posted:

Its usually recoverable. It depends on how many pieces of pipe fell. Lets say they just changed bits. It happens some times. They might have pulled a mile of pipe out of the hole and at this point, lets say they had a quarter mile of pipe hanging.

That still leaves 3/4 of a mile of pipe to go down the hole, just to hook up with what they lost. But in the mean time, that 1/4 mile of pipe weighting thousands of pounds, has fallen just about full blast down to the bottom of the hole. Sure, there is mud in the hole, which will slow the descent to a degree, thats why I said "Just about" full blast, never the less, at the bottom of that hole, is going to be some hosed up tooling. Which probably means pulling "tripping" everything back out of the hole to assess the damage. Once they actually get hooked on to the pipe that fell.

Hooking on to the pipe isn't necessarily as easy as just putting the right length of pipe down the hole and spinning the joints together. The hole itself might be 24 inches in diameter, while the pipe diameter is, lets say 8 or ten inches. It isn't necessarly sitting straight up and down, it could be laying off to one side. Which means that you've got to get the right amount of pipe down to the right depth and then move it around till you've found "the fish".

I've fished out drill rods from like 50 feet deep pretty easily before, but those are rods less than 2 inches in diameter and can easily be moved by hand to find the "fish".
In this case however, its much more difficult in that you've got to try and manipulate what could be thousands of feet and dozens (+) tons of pipe to try and find the fish and line up the joints to screw them back together.

Oil field "fisherman" is a legit, highly skilled occupation.

On the otherhand, they could have been on the last pipe, and it only fell like 10 feet.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

It blows my feeble monkey mind that pipes can be miles long under the ground and still be pulled up, dropped, or otherwise manipulated.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah modern drilling is bananas. I was blown away when I realized they weren't just drilling down, they're often drilling down and then sideways all over the place.

In my undergrad there was this whole presentation this drilling company gave (mostly aimed at the grad students) along the lines of 'if you can develop any improved way of navigating the drill bits underground, we are prepared to pay you $Texas'.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Powershift posted:

Okay but why did it jump up like I do when eating a Vienna wafer stick

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh, so those things rely on constant weight to lock things in place?

But if for whatever reason like a gas burp or something lifts the pipe, then it loses all grip and that's what caused the two pipes to get eaten?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Synthbuttrange posted:

But if for whatever reason like a gas burp or something lifts the pipe, then it loses all grip and that's what caused the two pipes to get eaten?

Flared base, guys! :nyd:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Heffer posted:

Okay but why did it jump up like I do when eating a Vienna wafer stick

It looks extremely satisfied with its meal. There's that lip-smacking motion afterwards.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
:nms: http://www.ansa.it/liguria/notizie/2019/07/01/pm-in-video-ferrometal-prova-regina_175cf7e6-c672-4098-a4ac-1625e334a771.html :nms:

Last year in Genova a huge bridge became tired of existing and now after closing investigations they released a new video with tiny cars doing sick stunts.
All those people are dead. That must've been absolutely terrifying.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Tafferling posted:

:nms: http://www.ansa.it/liguria/notizie/2019/07/01/pm-in-video-ferrometal-prova-regina_175cf7e6-c672-4098-a4ac-1625e334a771.html :nms:

Last year in Genova a huge bridge became tired of existing and now after closing investigations they released a new video with tiny cars doing sick stunts.
All those people are dead. That must've been absolutely terrifying.

Was that a bus that went down before the small ones jump?

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Was that a bus that went down before the small ones jump?

I think that was a truck. In all there were "Just" 43 deaths, so no buses.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Tafferling posted:

I think that was a truck. In all there were "Just" 43 deaths, so no buses.

Catbus lands on it's feet, hail Totoro

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah modern drilling is bananas. I was blown away when I realized they weren't just drilling down, they're often drilling down and then sideways all over the place.

In my undergrad there was this whole presentation this drilling company gave (mostly aimed at the grad students) along the lines of 'if you can develop any improved way of navigating the drill bits underground, we are prepared to pay you $Texas'.

It's insanely hard work, too. The larger rigs run 3 joints at ~30 feet together for 90 foot drilling kilometers down vertically and kilometers horizontally and every time they need to change a tool or bit it all has to come out 90 feet at a time and then get run back in 90 feet at a time. In and out and in and out and in and out. They usually work 12 hours a day for 21 days on/7 days off, too.

Then they get home and all their cash goes up their nose.

https://i.imgur.com/QiSbquN.mp4

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

It pretty much is just the weight of the string that keeps everything where it should be. However, sometimes slips don't 'set' and maybe only one segment is biting, or maybe they're biting on a scratch on the pipe. The dies will wear out, slips themselves get clapped out and the table bushings can get worn. They could be partially frozen, or maybe they need to be doped up. I would guess that in the first video that one of these was the problem.

It also almost looks like they have the wrong slips. These ones seem to be sitting above the table a bit, which isn't normal. Why is the stump so high in the first place?

The Driller controls the slips in the 2nd video. He hit a switch when he shouldn't have. I haven't run slips like that before, I have no idea how much weight they can pull out of. I would like to think that they aren't very strong and that was only a single that went sailing to bottom but we all know how that works.

I've had a set of jars fire off while tripping. The pipe was in the slips, not in the elevators. It made 3 good bounces, but the slips stayed in the table and the pipe stopped at the tool joint. A little puckering happened that day, but no fishing.
And not all of us are hoovering schneef off the knowledge box.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Old Balls McGee posted:

But you ARE all married to the fat chick you knocked up in high school, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Old Balls McGee posted:

Party enema then?