Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So I've had a good few hours of play, I like what I'm seeing. Got four characters already, ran them all through the first mission or two:

Animal CTRL, Beast/Sonic Mastermind. I don't like that I have only three attacks and two of them are Brawl and my origin power. I get that an MM is meant to stand back and let his pets do the work, but with only one wolf that's a lot of dead air. I keep getting foiled by character limits, too, I wanted to make my battle cry "Remember to spay and neuter your pets" and name my wolf Professor Puddinpop, but neither one fit. Sonic secondary's level 1 power is only a debuff, no damage, so it almost doesn't feel like I'm doing anything when I use it and it's not worth using on trash.

Ven Hao, Ice/Nin Sentinel. Haven't done much with him, but I think the Ninjitsu may have been a mistake. Ice is nice, though.

Wild Weasel, Praetorian man-build Staff/Will Stalker. I don't really like this guy. Also, it took me until the Praetorian tutorial to learn how to do anything with augments, because part of that tutorial is "Here's a couple augments, slot 'em."

And (The) Enigmon, redside Mind/Psi Dom. I really like this guy, he's got enough attacks on a short enough cooldown that I always feel like I'm doing something. Plus he is a menacingly hovering orbhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Dareon posted:

Animal CTRL, Beast/Sonic Mastermind. I don't like that I have only three attacks and two of them are Brawl and my origin power. I get that an MM is meant to stand back and let his pets do the work, but with only one wolf that's a lot of dead air.

Hit the P2W vendor, she will give you 3 bonus attacks that fill in a lot of space on low level mm/defenders.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
A lot of what masterminds do is gonna be related to their secondaries and just micromanaging the orders for minions, yeah. You can always take their attack powers, but that's just gonna be three attacks that typically aren't meant to do a whole lot (demons being a great exception since it lowers enemy resistance).

Preeeetty much all of the damage you do is gonna be through pets as a mastermind. If you want a pet-having character that's more about doing the damage themselves, there are some classes like controllers and crab spiders, but their pets aren't nearly as much of a focus as masterminds.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Ghost of Starman posted:

I assume this 'Human-only when you're tricked-out at Level 50' talk is because once you've got Eclipse perma'd and accuracy out the wazoo, the bonuses of the respective forms aren't worth the hassle of switching away from the form that has all the key powers - and since Dwarf Mire's duration was apparently meaningfully nerfed after Mr. MFing was writing his guide, it's not really possible to have more than a few seconds of overlap on Dwarf Mires (if that), so you can't pull off the ridiculousness of 1 Human Mire + 2x Dwarf Mires on Nova attacks.

Yeah, you can do a lot of content _at_ 50 with triform, too. Like today we did a MoMLTF (Ms. Liberty Task Force with no temp powers and no deaths) in a group where a lot of us were playing alts and such. I was on my PB who only has the alpha slot done, still triform and no Set IOs at all and we had no tank and no one to snipe the patrons, so we dealt with the patron pile all at once and then I tanked on Recluse and we finished with the Master Of.

Ghost of Starman posted:

Edit: really, the only downside to Warshade atm is that, while I can fire farm without issue for an hour or more, something about trying to play my Warshade makes my computer crash like whoa. Like, I've been having instability issues for a week now, but it seems to be worst when I'm on this one character. Anybody else experiencing crashes-to-desktop lately, or have suggestions for what I might try? (I've tried a lot of different things, to no avail so far :( )

Not sure what's causing that. I've had my computer full restart three times in the last two weeks. Seemingly randomly doing different content and not even on hot days. Nothing that just causes CoH to ctd though.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Dareon posted:

Animal CTRL, Beast/Sonic Mastermind. I don't like that I have only three attacks and two of them are Brawl and my origin power. I get that an MM is meant to stand back and let his pets do the work, but with only one wolf that's a lot of dead air. I keep getting foiled by character limits, too, I wanted to make my battle cry "Remember to spay and neuter your pets" and name my wolf Professor Puddinpop, but neither one fit. Sonic secondary's level 1 power is only a debuff, no damage, so it almost doesn't feel like I'm doing anything when I use it and it's not worth using on trash.

https://cityofheroes.fandom.com/wiki/Mastermind_Numpad_Pet_Controls

Do yourself a favor and sort this out sooner rather than later. Your teammates and your future self will thank you.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Ghost of Starman posted:

Edit: really, the only downside to Warshade atm is that, while I can fire farm without issue for an hour or more, something about trying to play my Warshade makes my computer crash like whoa. Like, I've been having instability issues for a week now, but it seems to be worst when I'm on this one character. Anybody else experiencing crashes-to-desktop lately, or have suggestions for what I might try? (I've tried a lot of different things, to no avail so far :( )

I've not had issues but it's worth noting that while all the other sets had some SFX efficiency tweaks when power customisation was becoming a thing, the HEATs didn't. They're still generated out of something like 10 components vs 2-3 for everything else. There's a bit in the AMA where the devs complain about it.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
...innnteresting. I was wondering if it was just confirmation bias, since I still get crashes while playing other characters as well - but it's almost certainly way worse on the Kheldian. I'll try turning power effects/particle poo poo allll the way down and report back if it helps.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Spanish Matlock posted:

https://cityofheroes.fandom.com/wiki/Mastermind_Numpad_Pet_Controls

Do yourself a favor and sort this out sooner rather than later. Your teammates and your future self will thank you.

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Mastermind_Numpad_Pet_Controls

Same content, different link. Wikia's sites are all ad-riddled dumpster fires that manage to somehow find new ways to make things worse.

As for Warshades, I found it helped to stop thinking of Dwarf Mire as another Sunless Mire and think of it as more of a PBAOE Follow Up. I wound up keeping all three forms on my Warshade just because the Nova form has AOEs, and the Dwarf form has taunts. They were handy if I needed to fill in those roles, because human Warshade can't AOE or hold aggro nearly as well as the dedicated forms.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Inzombiac posted:

Made a thing but I don't know what to do with it.

Decided on a Savage/Bio Brute.

Those rage-influenced dots are no joke. It's also a really nice change of pace from Fire farming.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Just cleared Positron 1, as I'm going back through all the TFs and poo poo right now, and man that ending.

Seeing the loving evil clone of myself leading a group of clones of the dinguses in my team was sick.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ghost of Starman posted:

Don't quote me on this, but I remember the game always having a kinda shaky relationship with sound buffering. With HEATs blowing out speakers with the sounds of the universe, often stacking on top of each other for every single target hit (on ATs with AoEs that hit tons of targets, natch) I could see that being the source of the problem. Or maybe it's just a symptom, since as said HEATs have like 3x the particle effects on their abilities than most other sets.

I know when things get particularly spicy during iTrials and stuff I start to get sound stuttering.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

Don't quote me on this, but I remember the game always having a kinda shaky relationship with sound buffering. With HEATs blowing out speakers with the sounds of the universe, often stacking on top of each other for every single target hit (on ATs with AoEs that hit tons of targets, natch) I could see that being the source of the problem. Or maybe it's just a symptom, since as said HEATs have like 3x the particle effects on their abilities than most other sets.

I know when things get particularly spicy during iTrials and stuff I start to get sound stuttering.

Any settings I could try tweaking for that? Not as many sound options as graphical, and I'm not as familiar with fiddling with them.

(also holy geez why does changing into Dwarf need to be a screenshaking KABOOM every. freakin'. time)

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I'm guessing this doesn't include city of villains? I'm probably gonna play anyway!

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Tabletops posted:

I'm guessing this doesn't include city of villains? I'm probably gonna play anyway!

It's got everything up to when it got shut down. So if you're like me and missed out on stuff like Going Rogue, then there'll be new things to do and check out.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Also, sorry for the double post but is it possible or viable to actually level up the old fashioned way? I'm guessing mostly solo? I kind of enjoy the journey more than the endgame in MMOs so jumping to mad level isn't terribly enticing to me.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Tabletops posted:

Also, sorry for the double post but is it possible or viable to actually level up the old fashioned way? I'm guessing mostly solo? I kind of enjoy the journey more than the endgame in MMOs so jumping to mad level isn't terribly enticing to me.

You never really miss out on grouping with anyone from any level due to the sidekicking mechanic, so yeah, you can just level at your own pace solo if you want, I guess.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Tabletops posted:

Good news! There's a place called Oroboros where you can do all the content you outlevelled! There's not a lot you lose by being at max level.

That said, solo is viable with everything but probably easiest with a relatively sturdy DPS character, like a Brute or Scrapper, or maybe a Sentinel, PB, Soldier, or MM. I'd say the latter ones are all "good soloers", but they involve a bit more game knowledge if you're totally new.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Tabletops posted:

I've yet to group with anyone but a few IRL friends, so yeah, you're good.

Blaster and scrappers can be a bit of a pain solo, so squishy, but I'm willing to admit ita probably because I'm an idiot not taking the right abilities

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Ghost of Starman posted:

Any settings I could try tweaking for that? Not as many sound options as graphical, and I'm not as familiar with fiddling with them.

(also holy geez why does changing into Dwarf need to be a screenshaking KABOOM every. freakin'. time)

You can turn off screen shake in Options.

Not really sure why a WS would cause client issues. The game has been rock solid for me, at least client-side.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

It's worth pointing out that this game has a seriously healthy population. Like you can get a group pretty much any time for the asking. I've yet to fail to fill out a Taskforce, Trial, Tips, or Newspaper mission just by going into /lfg and saying :getin:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Spanish Matlock posted:

It's worth pointing out that this game has a seriously healthy population. Like you can get a group pretty much any time for the asking. I've yet to fail to fill out a Taskforce, Trial, Tips, or Newspaper mission just by going into /lfg and saying :getin:

In fairness, you're probably blueside, but also in fairness, redside was like that on live too.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

spectralent posted:

Good news! There's a place called Oroboros where you can do all the content you outlevelled! There's not a lot you lose by being at max level.

That said, solo is viable with everything but probably easiest with a relatively sturdy DPS character, like a Brute or Scrapper, or maybe a Sentinel, PB, Soldier, or MM. I'd say the latter ones are all "good soloers", but they involve a bit more game knowledge if you're totally new.

For me it's not so much the content but the feeling of advancement and getting stronger, new abilities, etc. Which is why I tend to peeter out in MMOs as they become too slow to advance in, or the distance between meaningful improvement becomes longer and longer.

I'll give it a try today though. I haven't played coh since probably 2007 or 8.

Is the goon server very populous? Or should I check out a different one for that experience?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
The experience bonuses you can get at the P2W vendor are fantastic for someone like who who likes to keep jumping between different concepts every time a silly idea strikes. The original experience rate was designed to maintain subscribers, not necessarily be the most fun for your time.

I can't speak for the goon server, but the Homecoming servers have a great population right now. Even on live, I can't remember the last time the first 20 levels of zones consistently had multiple instances.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Tabletops posted:

For me it's not so much the content but the feeling of advancement and getting stronger, new abilities, etc. Which is why I tend to peeter out in MMOs as they become too slow to advance in, or the distance between meaningful improvement becomes longer and longer.

I'll give it a try today though. I haven't played coh since probably 2007 or 8.

Is the goon server very populous? Or should I check out a different one for that experience?

the goon server has people on it all the time, but like dozens rather than thousands. you'd probably have to get one of your alts level-boosted if you wanted to reliably do group content there.

the homecoming servers have enough people on them that you can weave in and out of groups as you like. I usually use groups when I, for instance, really badly want my level 32 power, or I'm out of sci-fi stories to do on my space cowboy and need to grind up to the next wave of contacts. (the game really does have a lot more magical content than sci-fi content...)

you can also use or not use XP boosters to make the leveling experience as fast or as slow as you want. and it's very likely you'll make multiple characters, which will help you explore all the content...

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Just scored 300 million in a costume contest with my slasher character VIOLENCE MAN

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I made a street justice brute on the indomitable server.

how is this gonna pan out for solo stuff? Is street justice cool or does it not have enough AOE?

my name is bird justice

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Street justice is one of my favorite melee sets. I haven't played a brute but I've done stalker and scrapper into the late 30s and it's been great.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

My brain keeps trying to map this onto Particle Man.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Tabletops posted:

how is this gonna pan out for solo stuff? Is street justice cool or does it not have enough AOE?

my name is bird justice

You'll be fine with basically any melee set for soloing. Street Justice is definitely one of the better sets, but in the end the one and only rule of CoX is: is it fun to play? If yes, punch away. If no, reroll (but keep all your characters because why not).

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Tabletops posted:

my name is bird justice

It's pretty good. The AoEs aren't huge, but it's fine for a non farming build.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I made more characters. I may have altitis.

Highly Visible Ninja, a bright orange large-gender ninja. Kinetic/Energy Brute. I went through a lot of AT/power options before settling on that, I could have easily gone Katana, Dual Blade, or Titan Weapon. I also considered being an actual stalker, but faceninjaing through everything seemed funnier than actually being undetectable despite being enormous and bright orange.

Highschool Crush, Gravity/Kinetic Controller. Short schoolgirl with the seismic path aura. HVN also has the seismic path, but I may change that to something more visible.

I'll get some pictures once I'm off my laptop and find the screenshot button. Come to think of it, I can probably run this on my laptop.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Dareon posted:

I made more characters. I may have altitis.

Highly Visible Ninja, a bright orange large-gender ninja. Kinetic/Energy Brute. I went through a lot of AT/power options before settling on that, I could have easily gone Katana, Dual Blade, or Titan Weapon. I also considered being an actual stalker, but faceninjaing through everything seemed funnier than actually being undetectable despite being enormous and bright orange.

Highschool Crush, Gravity/Kinetic Controller. Short schoolgirl with the seismic path aura. HVN also has the seismic path, but I may change that to something more visible.

I'll get some pictures once I'm off my laptop and find the screenshot button. Come to think of it, I can probably run this on my laptop.

SHe needs to team up with my dual blades scrapper, Anime Bodypillow

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Tabletops posted:

my name is bird justice

yeah, as others say, AOE is basically not a concern if you're not farming. Solo there's usually spawns of 2-3 people, so high single target DPS is just as good as AOE DPS and if you lack AOE on a damage set, you probably have a better ST chain to compensate (like Dark Melee, f'rex). In a group, you just become the guy who kills bosses/high value targets, so it's not like bad AOE even hurts there.

Plus IIRC Street Justice has decent AOEs, though not as good as the "my thing is throwing damage in 90 to 360 degree radii" sets like Spines and Fire.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
I've devised a new build for my Inv/EM tanker that's going to be obscenely expensive, so: What's the current best AE mission for powerleveling a /fire brute and once I get one to 50, what's the best AE mission for making inf rain from the sky in ludicrous quantities?

Kenlon fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 1, 2019

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Kenlon posted:

I've devised a new build for my Inv/EM tanker that's going to be obscenely expensive, so: What's the current best AE mission for powerleveling a /fire brute and once I get one to 50, what's the best AE mission for making inf rain from the sky in ludicrous quantities?

Just search "Fire" and look for the Comic Con cave. Hopefully you can handle +4/8 but even lower difficulties will net you several million per run

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

spectralent posted:

In fairness, you're probably blueside, but also in fairness, redside was like that on live too.

Yeah because as cool as being a villain is the content on that side is only about half finished at best and you can just be a vigilante and do the content on the finished side and dip over to the trash fire to do a newspaper mission now and again.

Sorry not sorry.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tabletops posted:

my name is bird justice

Street Justice is very strong and has amazingly cool animations, and Brute is great for soloing. You'll have a good time.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Spanish Matlock posted:

Yeah because as cool as being a villain is the content on that side is only about half finished at best and you can just be a vigilante and do the content on the finished side and dip over to the trash fire to do a newspaper mission now and again.

Sorry not sorry.

I mean, the Villainside content was better at villain launch than most of the hero stuff was. Just, heroes kept getting new, better content, and villains... Did villains ever get anything that wasn't both sides or the "well, we can't leave villains out COMPLETELY" mirror?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

They really should never have split the playerbase like that. Shove everyone into the same zones but have villain's be, I dunno spies that sometimes get different missions.

How do you explain these new ATs?
Fuckin.... Arachnos science experiment.

Allow access to all the redside content for everyone and just change the flavor text. Hell, the villains largely operated like heroes taking out other villains. There was few puppy kicking moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

They really should never have split the playerbase like that. Shove everyone into the same zones but have villain's be, I dunno spies that sometimes get different missions.

How do you explain these new ATs?
Fuckin.... Arachnos science experiment.

Allow access to all the redside content for everyone and just change the flavor text. Hell, the villains largely operated like heroes taking out other villains. There was few puppy kicking moments.

at this point everyone can go everywhere after a 5 second conversation with null the gull, and people still avoid red-side