Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

Hey guys, poster "lunar detrius" has something great for us, check out: https://randomactsofmario.com/
It's a randomizer which picks out a level from the spreadsheet for you. It'll remember which ones you've already played too.

Very nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

The Lobster posted:

Any reason I'm not getting feedback on any of my courses here? Aside from the fact that I post mainly on the Discord instead?
I've been going down the spreadsheet in order, but fine, I'll chew through your back catalog.
Airship Panic MX8-NYN-R5G
Make sure you are aware of every position the camera can be, I didn't see that I was supposed to jump over a post until the camera went down (first ship after inside part.) Was also able to skip the inside part.
Lakeside Frenzy P52-KDB-YJG
Putting enemies in ? boxes is usually bad move, but level was short enough that I'll allow it!
Golden Ghosts 7NT-TFR-GDF
Possible to softlock yourself if you don't get enough of the fire flower coins, and the thwomp seems to be a forced hit if you don't wait.
Mario Classic MJ2-GG8-LYG
1-3 Level of difficulty, has no problems.
Tiny Trouble 9CB-4RH-X1H
Warioware level is fine. It was an enjoyable 3 seconds.
Jungle Jinks 5YG-FPM-PMF
You do a good job of using coins to guide the player, would have liked to be able to jump to the top of the flagpole. Also the extreme number of scene transitions was jarring.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Why are there no vines in the 3D World set? It's easily my favorite now cause it looks great visually and provides this really nice 2.5D look that NSMB doesn't, but there's basically nothing to really decorate stages with. It's kind of a bummer. There really needs to be more background/foreground cosmetic things to liven up the levels in the 3D World set

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Actually if you have nothing above the screen line you can block horizontally with a vertical line just going to the top of the bottom screen, not all the way up. I'm designing a SMB level right now that is working that way.

Huh. Did not work for me when I tested it. Probably had something off.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Macaluso posted:

Why are there no vines in the 3D World set? It's easily my favorite now cause it looks great visually and provides this really nice 2.5D look that NSMB doesn't, but there's basically nothing to really decorate stages with. It's kind of a bummer. There really needs to be more background/foreground cosmetic things to liven up the levels in the 3D World set

Yeah in my Zelda level I had to use Trees as ladders.

I just mapped out another Zelda Level which should be really good I should finish today or tomorrow. This new once I'm keeping the basic layout of the original but dropping the conceit of duplicating the top down placements. It's going to be what the dungeon would look like if it were a side scroller.

Pwnguin
Sep 22, 2004

Araxxor posted:

#237 Mario in a half shell
YWM-77R-XPF
By: Pwnguin

I'm going to be honest, I did not like this level at all. It was an interesting concept, but a lot of it was kind of frustrating and super easy to get into unwinnable situations. While some of the timing puzzles were neat, the one where you had to get past the door with a sawblade in front of it was probably the worst one and felt really janky. Half the time I couldn't go through the door without losing the shell.

Ah, I was afraid of this :( Every single section for me just works every time, but that's because I've played them in the editor a bunch of times until I got the timing down, which is not going to be the experience of people playing the level. With the sawblade door, you take a running start then press down to slide onto the door while collapsed. If you hold up while you're collapsed and over the door, you will always enter it on the first frame, keeping your shell. I just wanted to show off a neat mechanic with the shell, did not mean for it to be difficult at all!

It's hard to tell what people playing your level are going to have trouble with, especially when experimenting with mechanics people aren't used to yet. Now that I got this gimmick out of my system, I think I'm going to try making a more traditional platforming level that's actually fun to play!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I've just had a What's That Pokemon level. People spoiled the answer by drawing it all over the place.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
They really need to make "complete course without doing X" courses instantly kill you if you do X, since there's no going back from that point.

It's a waste of time to have to manually restart the level when there's no other possible option to win other than restarting the level.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I guess it gives you a chance to experiment on the part you screwed up/see what's coming up

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

GreatGreen posted:

They really need to make "complete course without doing X" courses instantly kill you if you do X, since there's no going back from that point.

It's a waste of time to have to manually restart the level when there's no other possible option to win other than restarting the level.

Not necessarily. For example if you have to not land after leaving the ground, but accidentally do. You could scout out the rest of the level and check out what the other challenges will be so you can be prepared before restarting

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

You kids with your Super Mario Maker. Back in my day we had to make do with this:

Regular Mario Maker
Course ID: H6D-KNX-5YF
Difficulty: Expert
Multiplayer Friendly?: Yes

This is a remake of a popular level I made during the first week of MM1. I take the basic Mario Bros. layout but each room has a different challenge. This one is a bit different from the original version as I removed two rooms that weren't great and replaced them with rooms that use new MM2 elements. Scroll stop also makes it play a bit better. I tagged it as Multi-player Vs. as there's a lot of opportunities to duck over people you're playing with, although it probably works best on a single screen.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Working my way through the Random Acts of Mario site and wow you all make excellent levels. I haven't played a single dud yet.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Brand new to this game and I feel really stupid. Why do Koopa that I give wings just fall to the ground?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Not to jinx it, but has anyone else noticed a lack of autoplay levels? Do they just take long enough to put together that they haven't flooded easy mode yet, or are they playing with new filters for the challenge modes?

I'd say any levels completed with zero input from the player probably should be removed from challenge mode and I bet they have the data to make that call.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

CRAYON posted:

Brand new to this game and I feel really stupid. Why do Koopa that I give wings just fall to the ground?

Green Koopas will bounce and flutter, but red ones actually fly, as I recall. I don't have the game open to check right now.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Lugaloco posted:

How do you ensure your screen doesn't "float" upwards/downwards in a one screen room? I know that to block the camera from moving horizontally you just need a solid line of ground blocks from top to bottom, but what about vertical camera movement?
You're probably using the airship theme. In which case, you can't. It does that.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Plank Walker posted:

Finally uploaded my first course: Koopa Armada

KY1-LQK-3GF

It’s a redesign of a MM1 course. Any feedback appreciated
Nicely designed. I thought your enemy placement was especially on point.

Tnega posted:

Puzzle Level Uploaded.
Mario Teaches Potions PP0-BRD-PDF
I would like to have feedback before I put it on the spreadsheet, in case I need a re-upload. Thank you!
The excavation room gets a little too crowded with bombs. I like that you can switch it off to stop the flow, but I think one pipe on each side would be fine. In the next area watch that blind fall into the toxic ooze. I was able to avoid it but could see getting frustrated. Maybe knock the timer up to 500 because I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what to do.

NofrikinfuN posted:

Not to jinx it, but has anyone else noticed a lack of autoplay levels? Do they just take long enough to put together that they haven't flooded easy mode yet, or are they playing with new filters for the challenge modes?

I'd say any levels completed with zero input from the player probably should be removed from challenge mode and I bet they have the data to make that call.

I haven't run into any but I've mostly been doing goon levels. Maybe they're harder to do now that you can't stick something on the starting location.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

God I wish you could turn that poo poo off. I love the airship tile set but the drifting camera makes me never want to play those.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

God I wish you could turn that poo poo off. I love the airship tile set but the drifting camera makes me never want to play those.

I feel the same way about some stuff like that too. The fact that every single night theme fundamentally alters some core part of the game is pretty awful to me, especially because the night themes are so visually compelling. They really should only utilize those extra effects if you choose to put a moon in the level.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Nice challenge. It's in a weird place where it's just a little too long to not have a checkpoint but placing one would make the checkpoint half super short. Some of the enemies coming out of the pipes had to be manipulated to make the jumps simpler, too.

Thanks for the feedback. I learned a lot from this one. I don't think I want to ever enforce this level of precision in the critical path of a stage again, at least not as the main gimmick. It was hard for a lot of players, kind of janky, and honestly not all that fun to test and revise.

I'm pretty happy with it as my first course though.

I have so many fun ideas for courses, and I'd love to work on the jam, but I have a friend staying at my place all week and I don't think I'll have any time to play for a while.

Please still be making and playing levels later this month, folks!!

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

GreatGreen posted:

I feel the same way about some stuff like that too. The fact that every single night theme fundamentally alters some core part of the game is pretty awful to me, especially because the night themes are so visually compelling. They really should only utilize those extra effects if you choose to put a moon in the level.

They should make it orthogonal. Why can't I have a desert level with rising poison? Or an upside-down airship level?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I also wish you could make vertical sub areas scroll down as well as up.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 1, 2019

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

They should make it orthogonal. Why can't I have a desert level with rising poison? Or an upside-down airship level?

Ideally the special effects would be things you could just add to courses. My Mario Galaxy course would be better visually if I could do it on an airship level but it has to be on an underground stage.

That's the biggest problem with the Mario Maker games, because we're making the game to some extent we can also see tons of things that we'd want a slight improvement on. On the up side, Nintendo patched in additional features for MM1 so we'll definitely get something like that with MM2.

Macaluso posted:

I also wish you could make vertical sub areas go down as well as up.

You can, though. The autoscrolling has two arrow next to it which determining if it goes up or down. Feel free to make your Battletoads rat race tribute level.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Macaluso posted:

I also wish you could make vertical sub areas go down as well as up.

You can, there's an arrow you can flip to point down.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Oh my god I didn't even see the arrows. Yesssssss

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
Okay tried a new one with some of the criticisms in the thread

Blocking out the Underground

7DW-24C-TQG

Still just making pretty standard courses but honestly I'm still feeling out how to add challenge without it being cheap, so I feel like this one's a little on the easy side still, comments and criticism greatly appreciated.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Totally agree. Why have all these effects baked together in a game entirely about being a creative platform?

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

What do you mean by orthogonal? It already works on a grid with 90 degree angles.

I agree though, I wish you could do any combination of anything, and not have it depend on the theme. There will be updates, but I don't think Nintendo will realistically give us this in SMM2.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Quick question: how do I make a brick that turns into a coinblock when hit with Mario's head?

Trying to create an area with bricks that doesn't screw the player if they accidentally break them.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

ultrachrist posted:

Quick question: how do I make a brick that turns into a coinblock when hit with Mario's head?

Drag a coin on it should work, I think?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Drag a coin on it should work, I think?

It worked but it made it 10 coins when I only wanted 1.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Dirty Deeds Done posted:

Okay tried a new one with some of the criticisms in the thread

Blocking out the Underground

7DW-24C-TQG

Still just making pretty standard courses but honestly I'm still feeling out how to add challenge without it being cheap, so I feel like this one's a little on the easy side still, comments and criticism greatly appreciated.

I liked this a lot. I thought you made great use of the 3D World course elements. I embarrassed myself by dying on the piranha creeper jumps multiple times. The sideways thwomp part might be a little bit unfair since you don't really have a way of knowing that second one is coming.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 1, 2019

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Wanted to make a level where you go fast in the dark. It's a little difficult, and not terribly interesting, but I spent a few hours on it and its as done as its gonna be.

Son of Backdraft - 11C-08H-8LF

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
https://twitter.com/dietinghippo/status/1145533703965179904?s=21

:piss:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't know what song this is

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

I don't know what song this is

https://youtu.be/vUz9xCTOPRw

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Is there any way to trigger an icicle falling without Mario having to pass under it first? I need it to fall ahead of time

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

ultrachrist posted:

Trying to create an area with bricks that doesn't screw the player if they accidentally break them.

If you leave a question block empty it will only give 1 coin. Might mess with your aesthetic a bit but functionality the same.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I played some Random Acts of Mario Levels.

#184 Bowser's Boss Bash - That slide after Clown Car Bowser made me quit and not bother replaying. It was fine up to that point, if a bit slow in between bosses.
#79 DOOMSHIP - A perfectly serviceable level, although the choice of enemies felt a bit arbitrary at times and I'm not sure what the deal was with the giant Bowser at the end. I just tanked through it and was deposited at the end.
#24 SMB3: fast, chill winter secrets - It was certainly fast.
#43 Babby's First Athletic - This level reminded me that unlike in SMW, buzzsaws can't be spunjope in Mario Maker. I died in embarrassing ways, but I enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Macaluso posted:

Is there any way to trigger an icicle falling without Mario having to pass under it first? I need it to fall ahead of time

POW block?