Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
dems no longer satisfied losing to the right, now set their sights on losing to the left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

uncurable mlady posted:

ten bucks says he runs third party

oh and fwiw if anyone in the capital region is thinking about moving to green island, let me be the first to tell you - don't. due to some sort of inane bullshit with national grid and the green island power authority there's very regular power outages of 6+ hrs for 'maintenance' with almost no early warning. it'll never get fixed because the mcnultys run this drat town and are probably appointing idiot friends to run the power authority that dont know poo poo about dick.

I was looking at an apartment there a few years back, and... there's a whole weird vibe to the place. I felt I was being watched. It was unsettling.

Also the special energy arrangement is half of what I was being sold on for the apartment, they supposedly get cheaper electricity? But not worth if it means regular outages.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I was looking at an apartment there a few years back, and... there's a whole weird vibe to the place. I felt I was being watched. It was unsettling.

Also the special energy arrangement is half of what I was being sold on for the apartment, they supposedly get cheaper electricity? But not worth if it means regular outages.

yeah, some of the electric is cheaper but production doesn’t mean consumption so you have to pay higher rates for a portion of usage anyway. it sucks and it sucks that there’s only a sidewalk on one side of the bridge to Troy.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

uncurable mlady posted:

yeah, some of the electric is cheaper but production doesn’t mean consumption so you have to pay higher rates for a portion of usage anyway. it sucks and it sucks that there’s only a sidewalk on one side of the bridge to Troy.

The Southern part of the Troy-Starbuck Island segment is pretty nice for a view of the Hudson and of the Troy waterfront.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The Southern part of the Troy-Starbuck Island segment is pretty nice for a view of the Hudson and of the Troy waterfront.

yeah, they’re putting in luxury apartments there now. I’m not sure how well that’s gonna work when they find out about the power outages. we easily average one every two months.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

uncurable mlady posted:

yeah, they’re putting in luxury apartments there now. I’m not sure how well that’s gonna work when they find out about the power outages. we easily average one every two months.

Will be nicer to look at from Troy than what they had before. ;)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
can we please get to 1337 votes come on it'd be a meme number

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
found this too

https://twitter.com/mayakauf/status/1143707315981496320

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Lol she was a pretty bad candidate too

That’s awesome. (I voted for her)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O come on. It's 99%. Hrrrrhrhrhhrhrnhrhhrhrhrhrhrhrh.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
when's the general?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Gunshow Poophole posted:

when's the general?

November 5th, I think.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
feels weird to not be drunk as gently caress on an election night

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

GalacticAcid posted:

feels weird to not be drunk as gently caress on an election night

same, I'm not hooting OR hollering as much as I should be

it'd help if they called it. CALL IT ALREADY

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

wth, last seven precincts get your poo poo together I have to sleep

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Crain's is calling it.

https://twitter.com/erik_engquist/status/1143721603148201984

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Oh hell yes

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1143719439042514944

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Can you absentee vote in a primary?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Are these last 7 precincts just the DMV from Zootopia wtf.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

twoday posted:

Can you absentee vote in a primary?

Yes

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Caban is a cop!! Seriously though nice work queens

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Queens DA race isn't officially called yet but i sincerely doubt Katz gets enough from absentees to win

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Glambags posted:

Caban is a cop!!

This but unironically

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Farah Louis won the dem primary for jumaane's old seat. if it was anything like the special election, it was probably publicized terribly and with very few indications it was even happening. i haven't been to the suburban East Flatbush/Flatlands part of the district for about a month since my gf dumped me (she lives there), so maybe there was more than one sign for a candidate there. who knows, who cares, both candidates kinda sucked

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
man that was a fun victory party last night

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

good article from City & State about why the Queens establishment lost on Tuesday, not just for DA but also for civil court. tl;dr version: they're lazy, entitled, filled with hubris, and took southeast queens for granted by thinking they'd just show up for whoever they backed

it's clear that both the brooklyn and queens machines are running on fumes but how they got there was so different. in queens, it's because they don't give a poo poo. in brooklyn, it's because they're fighting and losing anyway (which is probably why it's taken longer than the seismic shift that's happened in Queens)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

get that OUT of my face posted:

good article from City & State about why the Queens establishment lost on Tuesday, not just for DA but also for civil court. tl;dr version: they're lazy, entitled, filled with hubris, and took southeast queens for granted by thinking they'd just show up for whoever they backed

it's clear that both the brooklyn and queens machines are running on fumes but how they got there was so different. in queens, it's because they don't give a poo poo. in brooklyn, it's because they're fighting and losing anyway (which is probably why it's taken longer than the seismic shift that's happened in Queens)

That whining about how dare those loving outsiders endorse someone without consulting us was a clear giveaway that they were sleeping on the job. Last I heard it is the candidate and their campaign who seek out endorsements, not the other way around.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That whining about how dare those loving outsiders endorse someone without consulting us was a clear giveaway that they were sleeping on the job. Last I heard it is the candidate and their campaign who seek out endorsements, not the other way around.
for all of Greg Meeks's whining about Bernie and Warren sticking their nose in the business of New Yorkers, he sure didn't do a lot to push back. he's no Boss Tweed. hell, he isn't even Vito Lopez

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
This might be thread relevant? Sort of NYS local politics?

https://twitter.com/EricaPhotog/status/1144973175534608384

https://twitter.com/zacharydmatson/status/1145058697598648320

Apparently the Mechanicville High student body didn't approve of the graduation speaker the school chose, Chad Brown, so they decided to bar media, I suppose in case things got heated.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

remember, everyone: Andrew Cuomo does not control the MTA in any way shape or form

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I am shocked, shocked I say, that they hired a private consultancy to make this decision. Wonder if they're related to any Cuomo donors.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
also lol that Cuomo spins up a tantrum when his vaunted superstar manager pick starts to steal the spotlight just lmao a real winner adult guy

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

subways as a business is such a dumb idea

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
My favorite part is how one aspect of that plan is literally illegal

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Uggghhhhhhhhhhhh

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

haveblue posted:

My favorite part is how one aspect of that plan is literally illegal

Ooh, which?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

thing to note: if de blasio did this then the Daily News would be ripping him to shreds. but because it's cuomo they're going with the "just the facts from all sides" angle. NY political media is extremely cucked

btw his budget director, Robert Mujica, was put on the MTA board in spite of not living in the authority's jurisdiction. the one thing that's overlooked from this past legislative session is that in spite of accomplishing a lot of great things, they still gave cuomo more power than before. besides the MTA, he got power over congestion pricing and the electoral public financing commission. i'm no longer of the belief that we won't survive his third term but he needs to get hosed regardless

it's looking more and more like Jumaane is going to run for governor, so thankfully we won't have to settle for a law professor or Miranda for protest candidates

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the part where the mgmt consultant never learned about public worker contracts and wrote the plan contrary to them in an unenforceable way that the city/mta would eat poo poo on in court barring a situation like scott walker ramming right to work through in WI

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

From late in the article:

quote:

If they attempt to consolidate the three bus organizations, it may also require the state Legislature to amend provisions of civil service laws that would block such a change.

So not in the sense that the cops will burst into Janno Lieber's office and arrest him, just funny that they either didn't foresee or didn't care about that issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
This is bad. The nonprofit that my wife works at could cease to exist since they already operate on a bare bones budget.

quote:

The consumer-directed program lets people with disabilities manage their aides, but doesn't stick them with back-office tasks like payroll and paperwork. That's handled by "Fiscal Intermediaries," usually nonprofit agencies that provide other services to people with disabilities.

The state, though, wants to pay all those agencies the same flat rate, per month, for doing these jobs. Right now, agencies get a per-hour rate that's based on what the person's Medicaid managed care insurer covers.

Agencies say it's more than a simple recalculation — reimbursement rates could drop by 50%. That could lead to those providers closing up shop, advocates say.

https://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/2019/07/01/new-york-cdpa-people-disabilities-hire-aides/1571009001/