Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've got a 2013 MBA that, after a few days, if you hit the power button the screen backlight comes on, it does the "wommmm" Mac sound, but then the backlight shuts off and it doesn't do anything further. I've tried resetting SMC to no effect.

What are my options? If I can't get it fixed 100% where should I sell for scrap? I'd at least like to erase the SSD or clear out the FileVault key before doing so but don't really have a good way to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hed posted:

I've got a 2013 MBA that, after a few days, if you hit the power button the screen backlight comes on, it does the "wommmm" Mac sound, but then the backlight shuts off and it doesn't do anything further. I've tried resetting SMC to no effect.

What are my options? If I can't get it fixed 100% where should I sell for scrap? I'd at least like to erase the SSD or clear out the FileVault key before doing so but don't really have a good way to do so.

You can put that SSD in another 13-15 MacBook Pro or air

Do you get anything if you connect it to a monitor?

Sell it on eBay

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

~Coxy posted:

Also the dual core/PCIe G5s were actually real good machines.

June 2005: Apple announces Intel transition
Oct 2005: Last G5s released
Jan 2006: RevA "CrapBook Pro" Core1Duo models released
June 2006: Intel announces Core µarch Xeons
Mac Pro wasn't available until August 2006, had a worser GPU for some reason, and cost quite a bit more.

Last gen G5s were awesome Photoshop machines and thats what they were most used for from what I remember of those days.

The quad liquid cooled G5s were noisy boat anchors though, there were some cases where the liquid leaked out (greenish fluid) and damaged nearby furniture and made owners scream bloody murder, Apple quietly gave them free MacPro 1,1s and 2,1s.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Nightshift on your MacBook goes bonkers when you go to the land of the midnight sun. Go figure.

https://twitter.com/austinj/status/1144655793612107778?s=21

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Haha that is an amazing QA testcase.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Hed posted:

If it's the mid 2013 Air (Sandy Bridge CPU), it has a PCIe AHCI SSD. OWC (sorry haters, they are sometimes an option) sells a somewhat overpriced USB3 enclosure for those drives, $100 new or $60 used. If it's worth $60 to you to erase the SSD, that's one way. (A bit more than $60 if you don't already own the pentalobe screwdriver needed to open up the computer.)

If it's a 2012 MBA that you bought in 2013, it has a SATA SSD. According to the info I can find, that MBA has a connector which should be compatible with this OWC SSD enclosure, but a physical form factor which may not be (it might be too long to fit inside).

If you have a second Thunderbolt 1/2 Mac and a Thunderbolt cable available, you could try to get it to go into target disk mode and erase the drive from the second Mac. Given the symptoms it might not manage to do that, but no harm in trying.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks guys excellent thoughts. I forgot specify the mid 2013 MBA but you’ve got me covered. I actually have another TB Mac so just need to solve the MDP <-> USB-C connector issue for the interface.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Best Buy has the 2019 15” for $300 off...if I can find an open box I might grab one

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Hed posted:

Thanks guys excellent thoughts. I forgot specify the mid 2013 MBA but you’ve got me covered. I actually have another TB Mac so just need to solve the MDP <-> USB-C connector issue for the interface.

The solution

unfortunately it costs $50 because MDP Thunderbolt is TB1 or TB2 while USB-C Thunderbolt is TB3. Thunderbolt 3 is different enough that the adapter has to be an active translator, not just passive wire connections between different connectors.

Before you spend money on that, try to see if it will go into target disk mode. The backlight shutting off would seem to indicate that it's deciding to power itself off. If it powers off before TDM starts, well, not much point in the adapter.

You may be able to get an idea whether it's fully powering down the computer when the backlight shuts off - put an ear close to the rear vents and listen for the fan turning off.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ouch, I knew Handbrake to HEVC on a 2012 Mini wouldn’t be fast but 2fps is even more painful than expected.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I could probably be mistaken, but hardware HEVC transcoding requires a Mac released in 2016 or newer, as it stands your 2012 was created way before HEVC was even created.

So you get software transcoding, which is supposedly available for all Macs that can run High Sierra, but boy is it unoptimized.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, I knew the hardware support in something newer would make for a good speed bump, but didn’t realize just how much. Back to trusty 264 for me then!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

eames posted:

Eh i wish I knew which recent products were the work of Ive and what was designed by “the team”.

If Ive was responsible for the battery & port anorexia and butterfly keyboards and “the team” designed the new Mac Pro without him then I’m not too sad to see him go. If it’s the other way around then :derp:

so ive is a designer, not a hardware engineer.

he commands the hardware engineer to make this chassis 'yea high' and the hardware engineers have to figure out how to get it that way.

so did ive "design" the butterfly keyboards? no. but if his constraint was, figure out a way to make the case under 15mm despite the fact that keyboard keys need to travel 5mm or whatever and the motherboard/battery is already 12mm and you make some poor hardware engineer figure out the solution well... i guess fire the hardware engineer since you can't really fire ive?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Looking forever to another computer manufacturer hiring Ives and giving him complete control over a laptop. We're going to see a 5mm thick laptop with no ports and a CPU throttled to the point of asphyxiation because there's no airflow. But it will look sleek and pretty.

It will probably have a Synaptic touchpad too.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't think Ives wants to design computers or cares about more money. I don't think anyone is going to hire him to make a rival laptop.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

American McGay posted:

I don't think Ives wants to design computers or cares about more money. I don't think anyone is going to hire him to make a rival laptop.

I'm sure he wants a challenge. That could take many forms. But he's in his early 50's. I really doubt he'll totally walk away from what's been his bread and butter for 30 years.

His agency will take plenty of clients and Ives will have lots of different projects. At some point a company will definitely offer him a fantastical amount of money to design a laptop or phone.

eames
May 9, 2009

Surely it's gonna be a car but yeah.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

eames posted:

Surely it's gonna be a car but yeah.

Can’t wait for my Mazda to be milled from a single block of alumninium, if it breaks they just throw it away and give me a new one! :getin:

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Cant wait for the marketing copy.

mCar from mazda, designed with LoveFrom and Jony Ive.

...designed with LoveFrom(R)(TM) Jony.

Mazda mCar by LoveFrom, Jony Ive.

The LoveFrom Mazda

The LoveFrom mCar (By Jony, also Mazda).

The Jony Ive LoveFrom Mazda mCar.

Jony LoveFrom Mazda car

Jony LoveFrom Jony Car

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

A Jony LoveFrom cab perhaps?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

Can’t wait for my Mazda to be milled from a single block of alumninium, if it breaks they just throw it away and give me a new one! :getin:

So a VW Karmann Ghia then? One solid piece of sheet metal, no seams.

I can totally see Ives going that route.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

If you try to turn more than 45 degrees the car folds in half- with you in it

Meanwhile Apple updated their eGPU support page, stating that the Vega 64 goes well in a Razer Core X, among other details.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
My 2018 MBP w/ TB has been doing a weird/annoying thing where the keyboard will randomly stop being recognized. The keys aren’t ghosting or malfunctioning or anything like that related to the butterfly keyboard failures I’ve heard about, but the OS just flat out stops recognizing that there is a keyboard period. The touchBar will still work, but the keyboard and touchpad wont. Sometimes (all of the times?) macOS will pop up a window saying that a keyboard wasn’t detected and that it’s searching for a Bluetooth keyboard.

From what I can tell this happens randomly when I open the MBP up while it was closed (but not turned off), and one of the reasons I haven’t gone to a Genius Bar is because I can’t replicate this bug on demand.

Has anyone seen this happen before?

E: the only way to fix this, from what I’ve found, is to hold the power button on the touchBar to force a reboot.

Reality
Sep 26, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

My 2018 MBP w/ TB has been doing a weird/annoying thing where the keyboard will randomly stop being recognized. The keys aren’t ghosting or malfunctioning or anything like that related to the butterfly keyboard failures I’ve heard about, but the OS just flat out stops recognizing that there is a keyboard period. The touchBar will still work, but the keyboard and touchpad wont. Sometimes (all of the times?) macOS will pop up a window saying that a keyboard wasn’t detected and that it’s searching for a Bluetooth keyboard.

From what I can tell this happens randomly when I open the MBP up while it was closed (but not turned off), and one of the reasons I haven’t gone to a Genius Bar is because I can’t replicate this bug on demand.

Has anyone seen this happen before?

E: the only way to fix this, from what I’ve found, is to hold the power button on the touchBar to force a reboot.

I have had it like 3 or so times on my non-touchbar 2016 13" and I just power cycle it to fix it. I thought opening it up after a few days closed would cause it too but it hasn't happened in what feels like months now.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I had a really old phone and was gifted a hand me down iPhone 6 to replace it. When I turn the phone left or right, it makes a tiny quick bump (different from the normal ring vibrate), is this a problem I can fix somehow or something I can turn off? Is it possible the phone’s internals are something shifting left and right?

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 2, 2019

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Spacebump posted:

I had a really old phone and was gifted a hand me down iPhone 6 to replace it. When I turn the phone left or right, it makes a tiny quick bump (different from the normal ring vibrate), is this a problem I can fix somehow or something I can turn off? Is it possible the phone’s internals are something shifting left and right?

Wrong thread? But no that doesn’t sound normal at all.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Boris Galerkin posted:

Wrong thread? But no that doesn’t sound normal at all.

My bad. Good to know though, thanks.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Hmmm it could be the vibrate motor?

Does the phone vibrate correctly when you set it?

Besides that yeah its not normal.

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015
Can anyone recommend a good dock / hub setup for a 13" Macbook Pro that will support 2 monitors? Work hooked me up with a brand new machine and I love the portability, but was surprised to see it only has 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

GeorgieMordor posted:

Can anyone recommend a good dock / hub setup for a 13" Macbook Pro that will support 2 monitors? Work hooked me up with a brand new machine and I love the portability, but was surprised to see it only has 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports.

Go for a caldigit tb3 dock. They’ll pay for it, right?

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015

tuyop posted:

That's snazzy. Might be too expensive for me to justify though.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

GeorgieMordor posted:

I’m using a dell d6000 works pretty well but you need a display link driver installed. It also delivers enough power to charge their 13” but no larger.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

This is the only answer. It is so good.

eames
May 9, 2009

FCC leaked a new unknown MBP rated for 61W power, so likely a refreshed 13" MBP

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/07/02/apple-unreleased-macbook-pro-fcc-approval/

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice

GeorgieMordor posted:

That's snazzy. Might be too expensive for me to justify though.
If you have to be somewhat frugal, get the mini dock ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079H5B31Q/ ). With that said, the TS3 Plus is by far the most amazing dock. I am worried CalDigit is going to stop producing them though - the silver ones have gone out of stock essentially everywhere and the Space Gray ones seem to be going on-order off and on too frequently for my taste. It's all I'll buy for a Mac, but I might switch to the mini docks and have to just start figuring in buying a desk-only power adapter to supplement the charging the TS3 Plus provides.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Viktor posted:

I’m using a dell d6000 works pretty well but you need a display link driver installed. It also delivers enough power to charge their 13” but no larger.

These are rubbish. The external monitors are driven over USB and look like poo poo and take high CPU load.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

eames posted:

FCC leaked a new unknown MBP rated for 61W power, so likely a refreshed 13" MBP

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/07/02/apple-unreleased-macbook-pro-fcc-approval/

That's pretty weird, will they refresh the non-TouchBar model? Because they already have a 13-inch four-port TBar 2019 model released only two months ago (May.)

Bets that there'll be a 2019 Air and Retina MacBooks, too. And if there are, will they follow their pattern of finally listening to customer feedback and give the rMB's at least two ports instead of one?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

That's pretty weird, will they refresh the non-TouchBar model? Because they already have a 13-inch four-port TBar 2019 model released only two months ago (May.)

Bets that there'll be a 2019 Air and Retina MacBooks, too. And if there are, will they follow their pattern of finally listening to customer feedback and give the rMB's at least two ports instead of one?

Somebody over on MacRumors said the dimensions on the FCC documents match up with the MacBook Air, not the Pro, but it would be weird for Apple to release a 61w Air.

eames
May 9, 2009

Macbook Air with a 50W TDP A13X?
Macbook Air Apple Arcade edition with dGPU and RGB backlit butterfly keyboard?

I'll see myself out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/gfbum3h.mp4