Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
As someone who just bought a standard 2000 LS literally days ago for almost that exact price and mileage, I'm going to pretend like I didn't see that link.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite

Elysium posted:

As someone who just bought a standard 2000 LS literally days ago for almost that exact price and mileage, I'm going to pretend like I didn't see that link.

Better yet, pretend it has tons of unseen rust (probably not as it seems "old guy owned")

I looked at one when I was in the market and passed based on some ugly frame rails and a previous accident.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I recently got a 1.8-swapped '90 from my buddy and am slowly going through the motions to upgrade all the necessary bits piece by piece. The big parts done so far are wheels/tires (Konig 15x7.5) and suspension (FM's Vmaxx Classic). I've got a 4.1 Torsen that is getting installed soon and a MSPNP in the garage for when I'm ready to open that can of worms.

Why doesn't everyone own a Miata? It's literally the best car.

That said, I think I need to swap out the OEM 1990 seats sooner rather than later. I'm not a tall guy, but I feel like I'm going to have a bad time if I get rear-ended and the top of the seat hits the base of my skull. Does anyone have any seats they like for street cars, other than OEM? I'm not looking for a $1500 carbine fibbur seat, but I would like something with a bit more side support that'll keep me in place while I'm whipping around turns.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Welp, bought supertech rings from a company called Techstar Massive. Paid for two day shipping, they showed up a full week later. Called them and they just want to process a regular return and won't refund shipping. I wouldn't recommend them. Searching for supertech rings for an NA Miata has them as one the first results. They have good eBay ratings (bought them from their website) so I don't know what to make of them. They say they drop ship from Supertech in CA so I'm not sure why they'd offer shipping they can't promise.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

DeNofa posted:

I recently got a 1.8-swapped '90 from my buddy and am slowly going through the motions to upgrade all the necessary bits piece by piece. The big parts done so far are wheels/tires (Konig 15x7.5) and suspension (FM's Vmaxx Classic). I've got a 4.1 Torsen that is getting installed soon and a MSPNP in the garage for when I'm ready to open that can of worms.

Why doesn't everyone own a Miata? It's literally the best car.

That said, I think I need to swap out the OEM 1990 seats sooner rather than later. I'm not a tall guy, but I feel like I'm going to have a bad time if I get rear-ended and the top of the seat hits the base of my skull. Does anyone have any seats they like for street cars, other than OEM? I'm not looking for a $1500 carbine fibbur seat, but I would like something with a bit more side support that'll keep me in place while I'm whipping around turns.

I always found it odd that the only year miatas ever got adjustable headrests was 1995 in the M edition. They're really nice when they've been reupholstered. But they won't save you any money since they only made 3500 pairs.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The Elise seats are popular for extra headroom. They don't pop up often, but see them in the $600-1000 range used.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

BloodBag posted:

I always found it odd that the only year miatas ever got adjustable headrests was 1995 in the M edition. They're really nice when they've been reupholstered. But they won't save you any money since they only made 3500 pairs.

um excuse me posted:

The Elise seats are popular for extra headroom. They don't pop up often, but see them in the $600-1000 range used.

Both sound expensive but I'll check 'em out. Thanks!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

um excuse me posted:

Welp, bought supertech rings from a company called Techstar Massive. Paid for two day shipping, they showed up a full week later. Called them and they just want to process a regular return and won't refund shipping. I wouldn't recommend them. Searching for supertech rings for an NA Miata has them as one the first results. They have good eBay ratings (bought them from their website) so I don't know what to make of them. They say they drop ship from Supertech in CA so I'm not sure why they'd offer shipping they can't promise.

Yeah I'd never offer/give 2-day shipping for something that drop ships from the mfg. Recently, it took a place like 2 weeks to send some things out and I didn't get a tracking number until about an hour before it was delivered. Supertech's website and catalog are hosed and I'm not exactly sure which ones you were looking for, but my distributor in michigan has the first set I looked up (GNH7850). Regular ground shipping takes 2 days from there. And they do ship stuff the same day.

jamal fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 26, 2019

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

jamal posted:

Yeah I'd never offer/give 2-day shipping for something that drop ships from the mfg. Recently, it took a place like 2 weeks to send some things out and I didn't get a tracking number until about an hour before it was delivered. Supertech's website and catalog are hosed and I'm not exactly sure which ones you were looking for, but my distributor in michigan has the first set I looked up (GNH7850). Regular ground shipping takes 2 days from there. And they do ship stuff the same day.

Ah nuts, I just overnighted a set. But don't worry, I blew up the WRX, I'll e-mail you about what that means.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 26, 2019

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Can someone weigh in on pricing for me? I've been out of the game for a while.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/d/plant-city-2007-mazda-miata-mx5/6920405772.html

Car has limited slip and sport package. He's willing to do $9,000. Shipping is $1300 with Montway. Is $10,300 too much for a NC1 PRHT? Would I do much better in winter?

I'm a little biased because I think red NC1 PRHTs are the best looking NCs,

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I’d at least go for an NC2 for the motor that spins up to 7.5.

Signed,
A ND1 Owner

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Well after owning my 2008 NC for 5 years I'd say get at least an 09 if only for the aux plug in ;)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You can install an aux plug into an NC for $7 and 20 minutes of work.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

dang i should do that

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If anyone is rebuilding a 1.8. The factory 83 mm rings aren't anywhere close to fitting. Get the 83.5 mm at the least. My ring gap was .013" @ 83 mm.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Wibla posted:

We need to see photos of you in a Miata, and a video of you getting into it :v:

For science.

This post was a while ago, and no video, but here:

Finally got around to adjusting the seat. I pulled the padding off to adjust the seat with the new wheel / quick release, and now I'm going to have to modify it to fit around the new seating position - all I did was put the front seat bolts a notch up for a bit of a lean. They were equal height before, and it always felt waaay too upright. No way in hell the padding goes back on easily.

I'm 6'ish, and have a full inch under the hockey stick. Not sure I could be any lower without chopping the rear mounts out and bolting to the floor.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
I just changed the rear pads on my NBFL (with the big brakes), and on one side got foiled by the little adjuster screw. It seemed rather stuck, but when applying a bit more force just started spinning. A couple teeth on it were damaged, but either with that filed down to look better or when using a replacement adjuster screw it feels like it's just spinning freely and the piston isn't moving in either direction. Whatever dark magic it is supposed to turn inside the caliper seems damaged, I guess I snapped something off there rather than only stripping the screw.

Is this something that can be fixed by regular humans, or is my only hope a replacement caliper?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Rebuilt caliper time.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
Figured as much, the handbrake mechanism always seems to be some mystical poo poo noone can really fix. Turns out to be less than awesomely cheap though, best option I can find for a rebuild is about €150 (with all the shipping back and forth). There's exactly one JY part in the whole country, if that is decently priced I'll take my chances with that.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Oof, cheap ones are like $40-$60 in the US after you return the core.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Check the local club/forums if someone's selling their brakes. A shop hosed up the mechanism on mine and I replaced them with a used set and a $10 refurbishing kit.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Anyone have any recommendations for battery replacements that don't require modifications to the tray or tie down bar? Or should I just run to O'Rileys a pick up a generic replacement.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just use a generic Varta with a small mod:

Also Cobalt exhaust on the way :circlefap:

Unfortunately it's because there's leak that (hopefully) causes a P0420 (nice) code and I'm overdue for the bi-annual inspection that it would never pass like this.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

FatCow posted:

Oof, cheap ones are like $40-$60 in the US after you return the core.

I remember seeing prices around €60-80 a few years ago for rebuilt calipers for more common cars here, but reasonably priced car parts are just getting more expensive and rare every year. For my Miata (which is not really a common car here), I've found them locally for about €230. The cheapest rebuilt turned out to be about €170 including shipping the old one back to the UK (or just €10 more if I simply kept the old one...). Non-"big brake" versions were only marginally cheaper.

mobby_6kl posted:

Check the local club/forums if someone's selling their brakes. A shop hosed up the mechanism on mine and I replaced them with a used set and a $10 refurbishing kit.

No dice. Local Swedish Miata club is rather small, and not too many people working on their cars as deep as replacing calipers.

The junkyard wanted about €70 for the one they had including shipping, so I'll pick the mystery box. As long as it mechanically works, worst case is I just get new seals and stuff for it, but it's from a 2003 with just 76000km on it so it could be in rather good shape.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

ionn posted:

No dice. Local Swedish Miata club is rather small, and not too many people working on their cars as deep as replacing calipers.

What do they do then if they can't do something insanely basic like change a caliper? I mean I'm a dogshit mechanic but I can swap a caliper over.

Edit: Also to ask, are all NC subframes the same? We are looking to buy a less crusty one to change all the bushings on and someones selling the whole rear axle including diff, shafts etc but it's a 1.8. I know the diff won't be any good, but all the other stuff should be compatible right?

Do the 1.8 cars have smaller brakes?

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 1, 2019

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
So the 2000 NB I just bought has this weird fuse on a small loop on the negative battery terminal, what's that about? It was blown and I pulled it out while I was checking the other fuses to see why the battery and fog lights weren't working. All the other fuses seemed intact so I put them back and the lights and radio magically started working.

In other news, I'm getting a ton of gas smell in the trunk. Hopefully it's nothing more than the filler hose being old or the clamps loose.

In possibly related news, my CEL just went on. I've driven about 300 miles since I picked it up. Hopefully this goes better than my last used car purchase, which required a new head gasket after dying and refusing to start 2 days after I bought it.

Edit: just had the code read. It said fuel filler cap, so the bad hose I guess.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 1, 2019

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

track day bro! posted:

What do they do then if they can't do something insanely basic like change a caliper? I mean I'm a dogshit mechanic but I can swap a caliper over.

Change steering wheels mostly :v:

Like here, the car culture probably just isn't the same as in the states and people look at you like you're nuts if you do as much as swap winter wheels yourself instead of making an appointment weeks in advance to have some dumbass torque the nuts with an impact gun. A friend of mine just paid $300 to change the oil in his poverty spec used 116.

I'd expect more from Miata guys but even then people are often limited when living in apartments.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Fuel filler hose seemed ok, but I did find some rusty looking corrosion at one end. I cleaned that off as best I could and reseated the hose and the clamps so we’ll see how that goes.

What I did find however, when I took off the carpet and shield to the fuel filler, was a literal rats nest of sound deadening material and a bunch of droppings. I guess that explains the other smell.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

track day bro! posted:

I don't think changing a caliper counts as "insanely basic", that would be things like refilling windshield washer fluid. Most people I know can change between summer and winter tires (but often cannot be arsed, or don't have room to store tires and just pay to have the problem solved), only a few would willingly do an oil change. Not more than a handful of the people I know would actually "fix poo poo" on their cars themselves, and replacing a caliper and bleeding the brakes is definitely in that category.
Don't know if it's a big difference between Sweden and US in terms of "working-on-cars-ness", but at least here there's definitely a difference between larger cities and the rest of the country (probably due to city folks having more money to spend on newer cars and mechanics to maintain them, and less space for tools and places to work on cars).

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
if the number of specialty tools required to do a job is 0, it's a basic job. replacing a caliper is a bit more involved, but just going off of the top of my head...

1. wheel off (4 bolts)
2. caliper slider pins (up to 2 bolts, can get away with one)
3. pull the brake pads
4. crack the torque on the brake banjo (1 bolt)
5. caliper bracket (2 bolts)
6. reassemble back to #2 (5 bolts)
7. bleed caliper (plastic tube + PET bottle + friend)
8. wheel on (4 bolts)

the miata is pretty friendly to work on overall, and you can basically turn it into a pile of parts largely with a 3/8" drive ratchet and 3 sockets (10, 12, 14).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah as mentioned above I swapped the calipers on mine in my parent's driveway and to actually take them off and put the new one on took maybe like 40 minutes per side, even for my clueless rear end. Only taking the disk off and one or two rusty bolts caused some trouble.

Now rebuilding the calipers was a fiddly pain in the rear end, but also doable in an afternoon and you can do it at home while watching TV or something.

Anyway, received my Cobalt exhaust so that's the next thing to do. Would've been trivial if everything wasn't rusted together.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I installed a big brake kit in a driveway and I wouldn't recommend it if you don't have a lift. My back was hurt for like 2 weeks afterwards. I have a lift and thought I would do it in a driveway no problem.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 2, 2019

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

craig588 posted:

I installed a big brake kit in a driveway and I wouldn't recommend it if you have a lift. My back was hurt for like 2 weeks afterwards. I have a lift and thought I would do it in a driveway no problem.

If you do, or don’t have a lift?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oops, if you don't have a lift.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Are the rotors/calipers that massive? I had visions of putting that in one day, but it'd have to be up on stands

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

craig588 posted:

I installed a big brake kit in a driveway and I wouldn't recommend it if you don't have a lift. My back was hurt for like 2 weeks afterwards. I have a lift and thought I would do it in a driveway no problem.

Serious old man poo poo right here. :corsair: It's not that back breaking of a job, you can sit on the floor while doing it (and get up 100 times for tools/parts/etc. :v:).

But really, you don't need a lift to do a brake job.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Small update on the Miata Florida built. The engine shows sign of previous removal in one of the previous five owners' tenures. Internals looked alright. Everything was just worn.

EGR pipe to header. The pipe is a factory part so the headers connection is hosed. This aftermarket long tube has given me nothing but trouble.

The removal of the rear main seal... has not gone well. It's fused to the bearing retainer. I'll probably gently caress it up trying to get the rest out and need to order a new (used) one.

The alternator was crapping out. It got a little oil in it.

My engine mounts were shattered when I took the engine out. Those are being replaced.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

ionn posted:

I don't think changing a caliper counts as "insanely basic", that would be things like refilling windshield washer fluid. Most people I know can change between summer and winter tires (but often cannot be arsed, or don't have room to store tires and just pay to have the problem solved), only a few would willingly do an oil change. Not more than a handful of the people I know would actually "fix poo poo" on their cars themselves, and replacing a caliper and bleeding the brakes is definitely in that category.
Don't know if it's a big difference between Sweden and US in terms of "working-on-cars-ness", but at least here there's definitely a difference between larger cities and the rest of the country (probably due to city folks having more money to spend on newer cars and mechanics to maintain them, and less space for tools and places to work on cars).

I mean I'm in the uk, but I just found it suprising that people posting on an mx-5 owners club forum would be so averse to working on their cars. I mean fair do's not everyone has space to do stuff like tha and even I don't do as much work on my car as I'd like to, mostly due to not having much time.

Although I'm kinda excited to help my friend with his NC because most things seem relatively simple aside from trying to undo every single rusted bolt which sounds like what most of the work is going to entail. Although he's got the atf+acetone mix at the ready lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm only 32, is that really getting too old to work on cars? One or two wheels probably would have been fine, but leaned over all 4 for a day was too much.