Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Doesn't the May issue usually come out in April?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

no you're thinking of the april issue

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
I just became a dad so while watching the newborn I've gone through TNG, DS9 and this thread over the last few months and I finally caught up to it.

I'm starting to watch Voyager and I never fell asleep during any of the episodes of TNG and DS9. So should I just keep sleeping through it or just watch TNG movies?

Also, Get this cheese to sick bay! :neelix:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Just play it in the background while you do chores and whatnot. Anything interesting enough to actually sit and watch will probably catch your attention.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Some episodes are kind of interesting. Species 8472 was an interesting idea, and I appreciate the effort made to create a threat to the Borg (They can't beat what they can't assimilate," -taps noggin smugly). Macrocosm is pretty cool as well, although the CGI has not aged well. Still, alien viruses that create little buttholes on the infected that allow them to fart out giant flying macroviruses that can stab and blow snot on their targets is pretty loving gnarly.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

It also features Janeway doing her best Ripley impression.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiBp8VhTj0o

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Why is his pinky toe so big?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Those aliens that steal your kidneys and other giblets and staple them onto their face were pretty cool imo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Colonel Cancer posted:

Those aliens that steal your kidneys and other giblets and staple them onto their face were pretty cool imo
The Vidiians were interesting but like with most Voyager aliens, poorly used

Like there’s a whole episode where one of their scientists splits B’Elanna into one fully Klingon person and one fully human person. How do you even do that. Then they kill off the Klingon B’Elanna but the regular human one is ok and they just fix this somehow? The bonus stupidity of the episode is that the Vidiian scientist wants to gently caress Klingon B’Elanna but she is not interested, so to win her over the scientist kills a captured Red Shirt and puts that Red Shirt’s face over his own like he’s Leatherface.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Must have thought she was a discovery Klingon

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

I just saw this episode and I was wondering why the actor thought kligons talk...in....long ..pauses... like... this...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Do you think cetacean ops is where the descendents of the whales from voyage home work

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

zooted heh posted:

I just saw this episode and I was wondering why the actor thought kligons talk...in....long ..pauses... like... this...

Well Kurn does

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

yeah but so did old Jake Sisco and they are the same actor.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

Like there’s a whole episode where one of their scientists splits B’Elanna into one fully Klingon person and one fully human person. How do you even do that. Then they kill off the Klingon B’Elanna but the regular human one is ok and they just fix this somehow? The bonus stupidity of the episode is that the Vidiian scientist wants to gently caress Klingon B’Elanna but she is not interested, so to win her over the scientist kills a captured Red Shirt and puts that Red Shirt’s face over his own like he’s Leatherface.

If by stupid you mean somehow pulling a Hannibal Lecter and putting it on basic cable is awesome, then you are correct

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

FlamingLiberal posted:

Like there’s a whole episode where one of their scientists splits B’Elanna into one fully Klingon person and one fully human person. How do you even do that.

We call it "de-Tuvixing," it's pretty standard stuff.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Jesus Christ, bye bye boners for the year!

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4sX6hEmnik

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

You know I could watch vomit and scat videos and Dr. Pimple Popper all day and handle it just fine but that is loving gross.

I was thinking about rewatching that episode thanks for saving me from doing that.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 1, 2019

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I was thinking about rewatching that episode thanks for saving me from doing that.

:tipshat:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Macrocosm was my favorite Voyager episode but that might be because I was 15 when it first aired

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

It's a good episode that lets Kate Mulgrew play a big drat hero, even getting into a knife fight with one of the viruses. :hellyeah:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
remember when tom paris managed to get fired from his brainwashed slave job

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I remember when he got his rear end busted back down to Ensign.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

And I remember the death stare Janeway gave Harry when he half jokingly asked when he'll get his promotion when Tom got re-promoted.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I remember when Tom Paris... uh...

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

I'm working on catching up with the tviv thread and...

...how the gently caress have I never heard of this?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I had Equinox Pt. I on last night in the background and when it gets to the part where the Equinox captain is introducing some of his crew members, one of them is named Edward Gregious, E. Gregious, and I was furious

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I had Equinox Pt. I on last night in the background and when it gets to the part where the Equinox captain is introducing some of his crew members, one of them is named Edward Gregious, E. Gregious, and I was furious

Wow, that is... Uh, that is... Shoot, I'm looking for a word that means outstandingly bad, or shocking.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

Wow, that is... Uh, that is... Shoot, I'm looking for a word that means outstandingly bad, or shocking.

Upon further research it appears his name is Edward Regis, but Ed Regis is still close enough that I can't give Brannon and Braga the benefit of the doubt

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
"You know, the Horta aren't so bad once you get used to their appearance!" What the gently caress is this rear end in a top hat talking about Horta are loving adorable

Also "No kill I" was legit heart wrenching :saddowns:

E: Also I love that they have this big sad conversation about how the Horta mother was only trying to protect her young, and because of this misunderstanding/space capitalism, her species may die off, only to turn around and see McCoy soaked in goop hooting and hollering about how he saved the Horta. I said it before but god drat that man is a legend

Danaru fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 2, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Devil in the Dark is a really good episode. I kinda wish Star Trek as a whole had leaned more into alien biology being actually alien like they did with that episode.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

I have a friend who is watching DS9 for the first time and he texted me when he got to The Visitor. "This time travel episode with future old Jake sucks." Should I sever?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well it went up against Threshold and lost at the Emmy's

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
The visitor is basically DS9's Inner Light and I would suspect the judgement of anyone who couldn't at least sit through it.

Lizards beating it in popularity is a pretty strong allegory for our society at large.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like this and other things and other things like the mindfuck torment alien that made Paris see his dad on the viewscreen, Kes eating beetles when she was pregnant and Tuvok getting his face melted sort of indicated to me that early Voyager was trying to be Horrortrek.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kibbles n Shits posted:

The visitor is basically DS9's Inner Light and I would suspect the judgement of anyone who couldn't at least sit through it.

Lizards beating it in popularity is a pretty strong allegory for our society at large.

Far Beyond the Stars is their Inner Light... or Hard Time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

I have a friend who is watching DS9 for the first time and he texted me when he got to The Visitor. "This time travel episode with future old Jake sucks." Should I sever?

Maybe. These things work on a bit of a scale. Did they also do any of the following?:

Complain that Duet was too boring
Think there should have been more space lasers in The Die Is Cast
Say that Past Tense was too preachy
Think that any of Garak/Quark/Dukat are not good characters