Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
He's not wrong about telecom in particular. Verizon sold 24 datacenters to Equinix in 2016. AT&T sold most of their datacenters in January. They don't want anything to do with this business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Telecoms don’t give a gist about data centers any more than the tires on their service vehicles installing physical cables.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Methanar posted:

I'll have you know I ran the smoothest datacenter ever built.

I thought you worked in the cloud. Things that run in the cloud tend to be very smooth, but if there’s a danger. If something in the cloud runs unpredictably it can make a big mess and then I have to go home and change

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Tetramin posted:

but i did not think it was cabled so poorly.

I see this was your first time ever going into a data center :allears:

Methanar posted:

The yard surrounding the building was entirely free of rocks, I'll give you that

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Docjowles posted:

The yard surrounding the building was entirely free of rocks, I'll give you that
Towards the end he was even old enough to drink at the brewery in the parking lot

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Guessing aws is making a recruitment drive for TAMs, buddy in another state and I just got hit up by regional recruiters. Interesting that they're pitching it as no previous AWS experience required. I'm tempted to apply for it and see how it goes. We have one or two aws TAMs here, right?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

rafikki posted:

Guessing aws is making a recruitment drive for TAMs, buddy in another state and I just got hit up by regional recruiters. Interesting that they're pitching it as no previous AWS experience required. I'm tempted to apply for it and see how it goes. We have one or two aws TAMs here, right?

Hell, wish they'd reach out to me.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

rafikki posted:

If you decide to not go for it you can always point them in my direction!

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Methanar posted:

Hey yeah, what happened to that place again?

:P

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

jaegerx posted:

I’m trying to turn over a new leaf so can someone else explain alibaba to him

If your new leaf is to be a snarky bitch, you are doing a great job.

Are you actually so stupid that you read a post saying that datacenter talent is centralized in four big companies and your thought is "lmao you idiot, one other company also has a lot of datacenter talent, that's why you are completely wrong", or are you just looking to be an rear end in a top hat?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Comradephate posted:

Are you actually so stupid that you read a post saying that datacenter talent is centralized in four big companies and your thought is "lmao you idiot, one other company also has a lot of datacenter talent, that's why you are completely wrong", or are you just looking to be an rear end in a top hat?

I think you both are trying to out snark each other and its dumb.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Comradephate posted:

Holy cow what a post

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I had a good chuckle out of the "let me find a crayon so I can explain this to you" jab before he edited it.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Official first day at my new job.

I must admit its a bit slower than my last job's first day.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Comradephate posted:

1 other company? Do you really believe all data centers are the big 4?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Here's an animated gif of an Asian girl holding a sign saying 'stop' that I found when I searched for the word 'stop' on the website giphy.

GreenNight posted:

I had a good chuckle out of the "let me find a crayon so I can explain this to you" jab before he edited it.
I am stealing this immediately.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

It was nice knowing you, rohit and pradeep:

It's very hard for me to complain about Wipro without feeling vaguely racist, especially if there's actual Indian coworkers in the vicinity. Look, I'm not bringing race into it, and it's just that them being ineffectual is the reason all our poo poo is a mess right now and they just happen to be 100% from India.

jaegerx posted:

gently caress you. My dick detecting app was brilliant. It would solve so my problems. Tinder. Omegle. You just aren’t certain enough in your sexuality so you insult me.

"Not hot dog"

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

When I interviewed with Arcesium, holy poo poo, their Hyderabad cohort (most of the company) were some of the smartest people I've ever met.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I got paid to do nothing today because I still do not have a laptop.

They can't even give me documentation or slack or anything without using a machine issued by their IT dept.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Methanar posted:

They can't even give me documentation or slack or anything without using a machine issued by their IT dept.

Cherish these times

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Methanar posted:

Why are you even working today? What offices are open? It's a stat in every province and federally.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

CLAM DOWN posted:

Why are you even working today? What offices are open? It's a stat in every province and federally.

American companies. I probably was supposed to take today anyway because I'm employed by their canada incorporated entity, but whatever.

I'm tired of involuntary vacations :(

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We got two candidates for our DBA position. One dude has a great resume, knows a bunch of stuff other than DBs, python, ruby, etc. He hasn’t worked since January saying he couldn’t find a good fit. Second candidate only knows databases but at a pretty high level. She already has a job.

Interesting to see who my boss chooses.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Good boss: the picky guy who knows a lot.

Bad boss: the woman who knows a little but has a job.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Methanar posted:

American companies. I probably was supposed to take today anyway because I'm employed by their canada incorporated entity, but whatever.

Literally doesn't matter if it's American owned or fuckin Antarctica penguin owned or Wayne Gretsky in an Edmonton crack shack owned. They have to give you the stat today, it's the law, so either get your doubletime pay or a day off.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Good boss: the picky guy who knows a lot.

Bad boss: the woman who knows a little but has a job.

Emphasis on woman being the bad part!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

GreenNight posted:

We got two candidates for our DBA position. One dude has a great resume, knows a bunch of stuff other than DBs, python, ruby, etc. He hasn’t worked since January saying he couldn’t find a good fit. Second candidate only knows databases but at a pretty high level. She already has a job.

Interesting to see who my boss chooses.

Seems like a toss up. Both candidates seem fine and neither would be a bad option.

What was the point? Employed vs not employed?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Sickening posted:

Seems like a toss up. Both candidates seem fine and neither would be a bad option.

What was the point? Employed vs not employed?

Fickle vs experience is what I took away. The SQL_GOD might up and bounce if he's bored.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Methanar posted:

Hey I worked in America for a Canadian entity too. They used to do free PTO days each month but then took it away and then brought it back except just for Canadians. They also let them keep the Keurigs, and got nice, new furniture.

I did get to pilot the Surface tablets though, so that was pretty neat.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

incoherent posted:

Fickle vs experience is what I took away. The SQL_GOD might up and bounce if he's bored.

Basically my boss is concerned he’s a dick. We can teach knowledge, can’t teach not to be an rear end in a top hat. Right cultural fit.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Well, you didn't add "kind of a dick" in your description of him.

Hire the person that isn't a dick.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Don’t know if he’s kind of a dick yet. In person interviews are scheduled for next week. Maybe he’ll blow our minds.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

GreenNight posted:

Don’t know if he’s kind of a dick yet. In person interviews are scheduled for next week. Maybe he’ll blow our minds.

If he does and also is a dick, don’t hire him. Especially not if you’re a pussy.

Pussies don't like dicks, because pussies get hosed by dicks. But dicks also gently caress assholes — assholes who just want to poo poo on everything. Pussies may think they can deal with assholes their way. But the only thing that can gently caress an rear end in a top hat is a dick, with some balls.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Folks making hiring decisions between two people they've never met, based on one line summaries from somebody they've also never met, who also has never met the candidates 🍿

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I was just shown today that the Leader in charge of maintaining our MDFs bought a huge stack of leaf blowers to "clean" these areas with networking and server equipment.

I am trying to figure out if I should care or if I should report someone for being an idiot.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

GreenNight posted:

Basically my boss is concerned he’s a dick. We can teach knowledge, can’t teach not to be an rear end in a top hat. Right cultural fit.
To be honest, I think "concerned he's a dick" is just what your boss is telling you. This guy is a very strong DBA who hasn't worked in 6 months because he couldn't find the right fit? I think it's just as likely that your boss is worried that he can't put this guy under his thumb. A strong technical mind who isn't going to cry himself to sleep if he misses a paycheck? Doesn't sound like the kind of guy we can shovel poo poo onto. That may be your boss's concern.

Also, I misread what you said about candidate #2, and this is why I avoid the phrase "high level". I think some people use it to mean high level overview, just enough knowledge to be dangerous. Others mean it, and I'm realizing that you did, as high level expertise. Consider the sentence "I'd like to learn Kubernetes at a high level" - am I doing a deep dive, or just trying to familiarize myself? My response was comparing a senior DBA vs a more junior DBA. Re-reading it, I think it's more senior DBA with other skills, vs senior DBA.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 2, 2019

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

To be honest, I think "concerned he's a dick" is just what your boss is telling you. This guy is a very strong DBA who hasn't worked in 6 months because he couldn't find the right fit? I think it's just as likely that your boss is worried that he can't put this guy under his thumb. A strong technical mind who isn't going to cry himself to sleep if he misses a paycheck? Doesn't sound like the kind of guy we can shovel poo poo onto. That may be your boss's concern.

Also, I misread what you said about candidate #2, and this is why I avoid the phrase "high level". I think some people use it to mean high level overview, just enough knowledge to be dangerous. Others mean it, and I'm realizing that you did, as high level expertise. Consider the sentence "I'd like to learn Kubernetes at a high level" - am I doing a deep dive, or just trying to familiarize myself? My response was comparing a senior DBA vs a more junior DBA. Re-reading it, I think it's more senior DBA with other skills, vs senior DBA.

You are correct, my wording was confusing. Senior DBA vs Senior DBA + web dev skills.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
And it was my own confusion. Within context I think that was more clear. It's just a weird phrase. High level knowledge vs high level overview. Same words, opposite meanings.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Our last DBA was here 26 years and was completely self taught. He retired at 40 and moved to a cabin in the middle of the northern Wisconsin woods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Our last DBA was here 26 years and was completely self taught. He retired at 40 and moved to a cabin in the middle of the northern Wisconsin woods.

This sounds like the head of our BI team. He is old and crotchety as gently caress and splits his time between MSSQL DBA and literally farming maple syrup in rural Vermont. DBA's are fuckin weirdos.

But also a lot of days quitting tech to drive a tractor around in the woods sounds pretty good, too, so maybe he's got it right.