Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shugojin posted:

As you can see this highly authentic Les Paul Goldtop with all period-correct components, which we are selling for 50,000 bux, has been quite clearly ripped off by the defendant's company and the guitar they are selling for a mere 1,000 and their inferior workmanship is hurting our reputation

*strums open chord, improperly cut nut causes guitar to go out of tune before the notes finish ringing*
This was beautiful. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Shugojin posted:

As you can see this highly authentic Les Paul Goldtop with all period-correct components, which we are selling for 50,000 bux, has been quite clearly ripped off by the defendant's company and the guitar they are selling for a mere 1,000 and their inferior workmanship is hurting our reputation

*strums open chord, improperly cut nut causes guitar to go out of tune before the notes finish ringing*

Magnifique.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

This has to be the very opposite of this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbI79e5iZKs

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Still stupid, but mostly stupidly awesome. Also not poo poo. I'm kinda torn on this?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Wark Say posted:

Still stupid, but mostly stupidly awesome. Also not poo poo. I'm kinda torn on this?
It's like a koan. Faust approves, with reservations.

Also, loving this:

Shugojin posted:

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
lol after getting dunked on for a couple weeks they just put out the most garbled and meaningless apology(?) and tried to blame the litigious approach on prior leadership

which would work better if their new guy hadn't put out a video like a month ago about how everyone better buckle up because here comes Gibson to sue all your asses

https://guitar.com/news/gibson-breaks-silence-on-lawsuits/

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Thermos H Christ posted:

lol after getting dunked on for a couple weeks they just put out the most garbled and meaningless apology(?) and tried to blame the litigious approach on prior leadership

which would work better if their new guy hadn't put out a video like a month ago about how everyone better buckle up because here comes Gibson to sue all your asses

https://guitar.com/news/gibson-breaks-silence-on-lawsuits/

quote:

Dealing specifically with the Dean suit, the statement highlights that the legal dynamic between the two companies existed before the new leadership team took charge, and that it has, “made several attempts to communicate with them directly to avoid a prolonged legal battle,” in the hope of finding a “constructive resolution that could be beneficial to both sides.”

Translation: "We told them to stop making guitars we don't like them making and followed up with incoherent legal threats and they quite properly told us we were a bunch of loving clowns, thereby calling our bluff"

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I will never forgive Gibson for killing the ESP Explorer.

Also, Japanese metal owns and I wish I had time in my life for a really deep dive into it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

rickiep00h posted:

I will never forgive Gibson for killing the ESP Explorer.

loving this right here.

"Let's destroy the only good looking explorer on the market. If you want an explorer you're going to have to deal with a hideous loving pickguard that totally destroys the look of the entire thing."

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Deploying '87 Hetfield EET FUK picture...

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Wark Say posted:

:black101: :black101: :black101: :black101: :black101:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Neck pickup tho? That better be a solo he’s playing.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Neck pickup tho? That better be a solo he’s playing.

It's James Hetfield playing above the 7th fret so that alone almost gives it away. Here though he's got his pointer and ring fingers both on the G string looking like he's getting ready to (or just ended) a string bend. It's almost definitely a solo.

Might even be the Nothing Else Matters solo because it's one of the few solos he actually plays, and he uses the neck pickup for that solo, and that solo has a lot of notes around that spot.

edit: Also look at that fuckin guitar face there. Definitely a solo. Yes I'm a gigantic nerd.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 1, 2019

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Not a big Metallica fan myself, but that explorer is hawt.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

GreatGreen posted:

It's James Hetfield playing above the 7th fret so that alone almost gives it away. Here though he's got his pointer and ring fingers both on the G string looking like he's getting ready to (or just ended) a string bend. It's almost definitely a solo.

Might even be the Nothing Else Matters solo because it's one of the few solos he actually plays, and he uses the neck pickup for that solo, and that solo has a lot of notes around that spot.

edit: Also look at that fuckin guitar face there. Definitely a solo. Yes I'm a gigantic nerd.

I love you. ❤️

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
The easiest way to spot a James solo is if you think "hey that was a good solo" afterwards.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Could be the harmony and/or lead in the slow section of Puppets, depending on the vintage of the photo. To my knowledge the only solos he's credited with is that one, one of the solos in To Live is to Die, NEM, and Whiskey in the Jar.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the photo's from the damaged justice tour, it's master of puppets

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

rickiep00h posted:

Could be the harmony and/or lead in the slow section of Puppets, depending on the vintage of the photo. To my knowledge the only solos he's credited with is that one, one of the solos in To Live is to Die, NEM, and Whiskey in the Jar.

There's actually a bunch more from the 90s and also one solo in Orion according to the Master of Puppets booklet, but Whiskey, NEM and Puppets are pretty much the most notable and the ones he's most played live.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

loving this right here.

"Let's destroy the only good looking explorer on the market. If you want an explorer you're going to have to deal with a hideous loving pickguard that totally destroys the look of the entire thing."

I always had a soft spot for the Ibanez Destroyer too.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
I'm reeeeasonably sure ESP will still build you a custom shop lawsuit explorer, you "just" have to go to Japan to pick it up. They certainly do this with the Jackson headstock shaped 1980s MIIs at least.

source: Mark from Lord just got this piece of sex the other week. Although he has an endorsement. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bxt5IILhoT5/

Concatenation fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 3, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Love the coil-spaced humbucker style, for some reason.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm in a Denny's at two plus am, guess what band's on the loudspeakers right now.

This isn't a gag, I'm actively wondering if anyone's going to guess correctly.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

It's like the Denny's of bands

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is it the Eagles? Neither a fan of Denny's nor the Eagles, so that's where I'm coming from.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Georgia Satellites!

Wark Say posted:

Is it the Eagles? Neither a fan of Denny's nor the Eagles, so that's where I'm coming from.

lmao almost said this first

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

hexwren posted:

Denny's serves eggs, right? I'm going to say Smash Mouth.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

So this popped up on fbook marketplace. I think it's a fake, has any Gretsch ever had humbuckers like that?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They're most likely after-market work.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Well more apropos of the thread discussion, has any Gretsch had such an overt 335 shape? Gibson will sue

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
lol, Gretsch is owned by Fender these days and, while they also have their share of issues, Fender does, at least, seem like they have their poo poo way more together on all fronts. So while they know that there's always a market for up-their-own-asses Bluezdoctors that want a 4K Fender with the exact same specs as SRV or Jimi and exploit those fucknuggets, they also know what's up and have 500-600 greenbacks "Player" guitars that make your booty move just as nicely, and that's not even taking into account the Squier line that it's pretty loving badass, budget price or not.

So yeah, I'm thinking that Fender might just throw them down and stomp 'em in the nuts.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Wark Say posted:

lol, Gretsch is owned by Fender these days and, while they also have their share of issues, Fender does, at least, seem like they have their poo poo way more together on all fronts. So while they know that there's always a market for up-their-own-asses Bluezdoctors that want a 4K Fender with the exact same specs as SRV or Jimi and exploit those fucknuggets, they also know what's up and have 500-600 greenbacks "Player" guitars that make your booty move just as nicely, and that's not even taking into account the Squier line that it's pretty loving badass, budget price or not.

So yeah, I'm thinking that Fender might just throw them down and stomp 'em in the nuts.

There's a $400 line of squiers with active pickups. The strat version rules and I still need to try out the jazzmaster

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

There's a $400 line of squiers with active pickups. The strat version rules and I still need to try out the jazzmaster

I wish I had bought a Squier Jaguar or Jazzmaster when they first came out, they were about half the RRP of what they are now. Tried a JM out in the shop and it sounded sweet

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I think people are finally realizing that having two $400 guitars is more fun than one $800 guitar. Particularly when a $400 guitar plays just as well as the $800 guitar and maybe just needs a bit of TLC to get going.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Chrpno posted:

Well more apropos of the thread discussion, has any Gretsch had such an overt 335 shape? Gibson will sue

It's a fake. Wrong body shape, wrong knobs, wrong switches, wrong pickup, wrong colouring on sides, wrong knob spacing, and wrong bridge. Aliexpress special I bet.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

I think people are finally realizing that having two $400 guitars is more fun than one $800 guitar. Particularly when a $400 guitar plays just as well as the $800 guitar and maybe just needs a bit of TLC to get going.
Backup/Alternate tunings is one heckuva rabbit hole.

And I'm lovin' it. :dance:

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

hexwren posted:

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I swear to god that is real. Denny's literally sold Hooburrito by Hoobastank and and "Taking Back Bacon Burger Fries" by Taking Back Sunday.

The best part is if you consider this an attempt to render the essence of these bands in the form of a dish it is like the most brutal own imaginable. "Hmm yes we feel that your music is the equivalent of chicken fingers and velveeta in a tortilla, served with a side of ranch."

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Wark Say posted:

Thanks. I used to think the Kill Bon Jovi one was the best but these days I'd have to say EET FUK is way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Wark Say posted:

No, Waffle House was about two blocks away.

Kilometers Davis posted:

The Georgia Satellites!

lmao almost said this first

There's a chance I might have been eating a few tables down from one of the Georgia Satellites, but no

prefect posted:

Denny's serves eggs, right? I'm going to say Smash Mouth.

I am not trying to meme.

Thermos H Christ posted:

I swear to god that is real. Denny's literally sold Hooburrito by Hoobastank and and "Taking Back Bacon Burger Fries" by Taking Back Sunday.

The best part is if you consider this an attempt to render the essence of these bands in the form of a dish it is like the most brutal own imaginable. "Hmm yes we feel that your music is the equivalent of chicken fingers and velveeta in a tortilla, served with a side of ranch."

Now this loving floored me, this is the most dennysoid thing I've ever seen. What I heard last night has been unseated.

What was actually playing at the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d812E8q7I4A