Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Thanks guys. I think I’m going to go for it, I’ll hate myself if I just let it go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

:bravo2:
Failed the CCNP: Route again, I read the official exam guide and the did the official practice tests and I still feel like I took a completely different test than the one I studied for. Routing protocols only attributed for about 10 of the questions, including the labs. I might just wait for the rework. Any tips?

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

What are the general feelings on the SANS certifications? I've got the opportunity to take the Enterprise Defender class coming up and I think it comes with an exam voucher. I don't believe I've seen them mentioned in the thread.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

Captn Kurp posted:

Failed the CCNP: Route again, I read the official exam guide and the did the official practice tests and I still feel like I took a completely different test than the one I studied for. Routing protocols only attributed for about 10 of the questions, including the labs. I might just wait for the rework. Any tips?

Can you share the sections with percentages you got? There's a blueprint for the exam you can use to map those to actual technologies and see where you got whomped if it's non obvious already.

Edit: link: https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccnp/route_v2/exam-topics

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

FlyTB20C posted:

What are the general feelings on the SANS certifications? I've got the opportunity to take the Enterprise Defender class coming up and I think it comes with an exam voucher. I don't believe I've seen them mentioned in the thread.

From what I’ve heard is that SANS classes / exams are valuated highly but are only worth it if you’re not paying for it yourself due to the steep price.

No experience with them myself though.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Other than being a senior admin and maybe having a masters to make the jump into management easier what would be some good certs that would be applicable?

I’m thinking PMP and the useless ITIL but are there any others that business leaders just scream for when they see

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

George H.W. oval office posted:

Other than being a senior admin and maybe having a masters to make the jump into management easier what would be some good certs that would be applicable?

I’m thinking PMP and the useless ITIL but are there any others that business leaders just scream for when they see

Something like SCRUM master or whatever the latest hotness is.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Something like SCRUM master or whatever the latest hotness is.

PSM or the Agile Leadership version.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Captn Kurp posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I took that piece of poo poo garbage test 4 times. The ROUTE test is the worst loving exam in the whole family of Cisco bullshit. I ended up just using brute force and as I failed I'd note those questions and go find the answers. Eventually I passed.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Jedi425 posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I took that piece of poo poo garbage test 4 times. The ROUTE test is the worst loving exam in the whole family of Cisco bullshit. I ended up just using brute force and as I failed I'd note those questions and go find the answers. Eventually I passed.

Im trying to cram my way through the official cert guide for that now, so this isnt making me feel to great. I've got SWITCH already and wanted to get ROUTE so that I dont have to take that new core test and can just take one of the new electives.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I got my CCNA last year and I've been getting ready for CCNP SWITCH, and this has kind of caught me flat-footed. I read fully through a Chris Bryant book for SWITCH and didn't feel at all prepared and am using some official Cisco materials now, but I also have a new baby and little time on top of being busy at work. I'm not sure if I should try to get through SWITCH and ROUTE before February, or just wait and try to take the new exam. Any advice?

skooma512 posted:

drat, I procrastinated all the way through this exam cycle. :smith:

My only choices are get the CCENT as a token or just go full CCNA from now until February... doesn't look good for me.

Is 8 months enough to go from "I can kind of subnet" to passing CCNA? Seriously, I could never grok subnetting and got stuck on it because I refused to move on in the material until I could.

I used Todd Lammle's books and prepped for each test in the span of a week or two. I actually scheduled my exams further out and then moved them forward because I was ready earlier than expected. I am reasonably good at standardized tests and have some experience as well but 8 months is extremely doable. Lammle's subnetting method is also a jillion times better than what Cisco teaches officially.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
Been in helpdesk for about 3 years, have my A+ and just got my Sec+.

I'd like to eventually get into a sys admin position and also get some cloud experience.

I have an idea of what to do for cloud stuff (looking at AWS associate certs atm) but for Sys admin I was looking at MCSA for Server 16 and last time I looked about a year back there was nothing really super comprehensive to study from, it looked like I needed to read several different books from several authors to understand it. Is this still the case? Is there a better route to study for this test? Or should I even just be looking for a different cert for server admin poo poo?

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

Slumpy posted:

Been in helpdesk for about 3 years, have my A+ and just got my Sec+.

I'd like to eventually get into a sys admin position and also get some cloud experience.

I have an idea of what to do for cloud stuff (looking at AWS associate certs atm) but for Sys admin I was looking at MCSA for Server 16 and last time I looked about a year back there was nothing really super comprehensive to study from, it looked like I needed to read several different books from several authors to understand it. Is this still the case? Is there a better route to study for this test? Or should I even just be looking for a different cert for server admin poo poo?

If you've been in helpdesk for 3 years and have a Sec+, just apply for sysadmin jobs. Get more certs while you're in one, it'll be easier since you'll already be doing (or at least know someone who is doing) all the things you're studying.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

FCKGW posted:

The 902 is all software questions so if your experience is hardware calibration you're gonna need to study for that one.

Well here we are months later and I got both 901 and 902, so :toot:

On to Network+ I guess

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hotel Kpro posted:

On to Network+ I guess

Congrats!

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
got my AS like 5 years ago, muddle through local msp for a year got paid next to nothing, paid for all transportation costs, quit, went back to college for my BS, got that, got a internship then job at a fashion company been in hell desk, and now passed the CCNA 829 out of 811 so moving up to JR network admin. :toot:

still make poo poo cash and working hell desk for a while but i don't actually mind hell desk.

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

I'm taking the 220-902 on Friday, having passed the 901 already. I was extremely prepared but still surprised when I scored 811.
Am I off base for thinking that this half of the exam is much easier?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Work wants us to get the AWS Sysops Administrator Associate cert pretty quick. They'd like us to start with the AWS Cloud Practitioner cert. My co-worker (whose girlfriend works for Amazon, to be fair) took it and passed it just with the exam guide and Cloudguru training videos. I took a third party practice test and got 85% based on what I know from studying for the Sysops cert a year or so back.

Is the Cloud Practitioner cert basically a BS pseudo-marketing exam similar to the VCA? I kinda feel like since the company is paying, I should just bone up on the Cloudguru training that covers services I don't know so well and yolo it.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

MJP posted:

Work wants us to get the AWS Sysops Administrator Associate cert pretty quick. They'd like us to start with the AWS Cloud Practitioner cert. My co-worker (whose girlfriend works for Amazon, to be fair) took it and passed it just with the exam guide and Cloudguru training videos. I took a third party practice test and got 85% based on what I know from studying for the Sysops cert a year or so back.

Is the Cloud Practitioner cert basically a BS pseudo-marketing exam similar to the VCA? I kinda feel like since the company is paying, I should just bone up on the Cloudguru training that covers services I don't know so well and yolo it.

From what I’ve seen and studied myself, the AZ-900 and Cloud Practitioner certs are pretty worthless for actual technical audiences and are only of value if you are completely clueless about what cloud infrastructure even is. I feel like they’re mainly there as quick cash-ins for the certification industry. You can obtain the knowledge pretty easily without bothering with a test.

If you’re having to obtain the Sysops certification in a short period, I’d recommend just starting into that or the AWS Solutions Architect Associate path and skip the Cloud Practitioner.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

ParserGirl posted:

I'm taking the 220-902 on Friday, having passed the 901 already. I was extremely prepared but still surprised when I scored 811.

Not really. I took it last week and thought it was about the same in difficulty, maybe easier because of the familiarity with how they do the tests. I did have 4 simulations right off the bat so that was fun.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Cloud Practitioner is for Sales to have a basic idea of what they're selling.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I took it earlier this year as I wanted to learn more about AWS as I never worked with it before. It mostly requires you to get familiar with the most important services and what they can and cannot do.

If you start with 0 knowledge it’s a nice getting started overview but not really worth the certificate.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Space Racist posted:

From what I’ve seen and studied myself, the AZ-900 and Cloud Practitioner certs are pretty worthless for actual technical audiences and are only of value if you are completely clueless about what cloud infrastructure even is. I feel like they’re mainly there as quick cash-ins for the certification industry. You can obtain the knowledge pretty easily without bothering with a test.

If you’re having to obtain the Sysops certification in a short period, I’d recommend just starting into that or the AWS Solutions Architect Associate path and skip the Cloud Practitioner.

The boss wants us to get Cloud Practitioner first just to ensure we're starting through the path. They're paying for it, and I won't have actual AWS experience by the time we start a project to migrate data center stuff into AWS by the end of the year. I don't mind coming in with that basic study down pat, doubly so since my experience is just book learning.

The other part is I'm expected to end up with the AWS Sysops Admin Associate cert - would it be safe for me to jump right to that? Having AWS free tier is all well and good but I have real doubts about my ability to cram that much in three months.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

MJP posted:

The boss wants us to get Cloud Practitioner first just to ensure we're starting through the path. They're paying for it, and I won't have actual AWS experience by the time we start a project to migrate data center stuff into AWS by the end of the year. I don't mind coming in with that basic study down pat, doubly so since my experience is just book learning.

The other part is I'm expected to end up with the AWS Sysops Admin Associate cert - would it be safe for me to jump right to that? Having AWS free tier is all well and good but I have real doubts about my ability to cram that much in three months.

I skipped the cloud practitioner and knocked out the Solutions Architect associate exam with around two weeks of going through the A Cloud Guru course, no prior cloud experience.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Hotel Kpro posted:

On to Network+ I guess
Is Network+ worth it now that its $320? Wouldnt the CCENT be a better option and better value for the price?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Too Poetic posted:

Is Network+ worth it now that its $320? Wouldnt the CCENT be a better option and better value for the price?

CCENT is more worth it if you plan to go and do the ICND2 for full CCNA afterward. Net+ is probably worth more for name recognition standing purely on its own against CCENT.

Going full CCNA is definitely the better option for roughly the same cost, though. I think each of the two ICND exams was 160 or so for me?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
CCENT will be eliminated in February so you would be wise to go full CCNA before that as the new test objectives are super broad across all technology.

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

ParserGirl posted:

Whee!! I passed, with just over a month left before the 900 series is retired. I was less confident on this half because so many of the questions felt subjective and I had four simulations.

Getting an 816 was a welcome surprise. I followed most of Professor Messor's testing advice, such as flagging any questions where you aren't absolutely 100% sure, coming back to them later, and doing the simulations last.

I reviewed and checked my answers until there was just under a minute left. The wait between hitting submit and doing their survey questions felt like an eternity.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Congrats! Waiting for the result to pop up is the worst time ever. Even more so when you get them a few days later instead of instantly.

Any idea which cert you’re going to study for next?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

LochNessMonster posted:

Congrats! Waiting for the result to pop up is the worst time ever. Even more so when you get them a few days later instead of instantly.

When I took ICND1, the system crashed when I was waiting for my test score.

I submitted the survey and sat there with a pit in my stomach, staring at the loading screen for what felt like an eternity. Because it was an eternity. I had to grab the proctor after several minutes passed and he restarted the testing software.

I don't recommend having to sit through that.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Renegret posted:

When I took ICND1, the system crashed when I was waiting for my test score.

I submitted the survey and sat there with a pit in my stomach, staring at the loading screen for what felt like an eternity. Because it was an eternity. I had to grab the proctor after several minutes passed and he restarted the testing software.

I don't recommend having to sit through that.

Holy crap, that’s gut wrenching. My TOGAF exams gave a popup for like 0.1 second and then a blank screen. I waited for like 2 minutes and walked out of the exam room and the people at the teat center informed I would get the results by mail when I explained what happened.

Which sucks since coworkers who took the same exam at the same testing company but a different location got the results directly.

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

Network+ sounds good, but I think I'd better focus on getting an IT job before I go too deeply into another cert. Probably help desk. My years of experience working with the developmentally disabled population would translate well into dealing with end users.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Popping into this thread to say drat, finally passed the 2012 R2 upgrade cert. loving wiped. It appears that there was a cloud track from 2012 R2 thats now gone? Anything with azure I can leverage with my new cert? or is back to the sugar mines for o365\Azure MCSAs?

Bonzo posted:

You can always take the Server 16 stuff and they usually have an upgrade cert for 2019 so you don't have to start all over again. I don't think you'll be seeing wide use of 2019 in Enterprise for a while.

Server 19 / win 10 1903 was a poo poo show getting out the door, which is why i'm not surprised there isn't a 19 track so far. Exchange 19 shipped with no OS to run it on for example.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The AWS website has free cloud practitioner training videos and practice exams. Do them and it's a guaranteed pass.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

This is currently my personal hell: do I take A+ (and try to rush through some sort of practice testing/reading in the next couple weeks) before 901/902 retires, or do I wait to take 1001/1002 after perhaps taking a Cybrary course on Network+/Security+? Or does simply getting Net/Sec+ grant you an A+ as well?

My experience in IT is two years of troubleshooting/help desk for a small photography company about a decade ago, and 30 years of working generally with computers, and I consider myself somewhat literate in regards to the basics of PCs/mobile devices/networking. My ultimate goal is to get into a sweet sweet pentesting gig in the next 2-3 years.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

BUG JUG posted:

This is currently my personal hell: do I take A+ (and try to rush through some sort of practice testing/reading in the next couple weeks) before 901/902 retires, or do I wait to take 1001/1002 after perhaps taking a Cybrary course on Network+/Security+? Or does simply getting Net/Sec+ grant you an A+ as well?

My experience in IT is two years of troubleshooting/help desk for a small photography company about a decade ago, and 30 years of working generally with computers, and I consider myself somewhat literate in regards to the basics of PCs/mobile devices/networking. My ultimate goal is to get into a sweet sweet pentesting gig in the next 2-3 years.

It's been a while since I looked into the Comptia stuff but you won't get an A+ by taking a higher test. I don't know if Comptia ever requires you take a prerequisite test, but what you pass is what you get. They'll never allow you to skip tests and cut into their profits like that.

My answer to questions like this will always be the same; hurry up and just take the test. If you take the 901/902 to you have the past 5 years of training materials and other people's experience taking the test to learn from. If you wait for the new test, you'll lose out on all those resources, and it'll take months for the training materials to catch up. If you start now, 6 1/2 months is PLENTY of time, and hardly counts as "rushing" through the material. Why wouldn't you start now?

Personally, I have a huge procrastination problem so I actually like it when I'm on time crunch like that. The pressure is what puts my rear end into gear and how I get results.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 1, 2019

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Renegret posted:

If you start now, 6 1/2 months is PLENTY of time, and hardly counts as "rushing" through the material. Why wouldn't you start now?

6 1/2 months? I thought it retired at the end of July. Or is July the 'retirement' and then it runs through the end of the year as a grace period?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

BUG JUG posted:

6 1/2 months? I thought it retired at the end of July. Or is July the 'retirement' and then it runs through the end of the year as a grace period?

gently caress me you're totally right. I had Janurary 15th in my head because I checked the A+ website, saw the new test launches on Janurary 15th, 2019, forgot what year it was, then just kind of assumed that the new test started when the old one was retired and didn't bother scrolling down.

Since 1001/1002 has been out for a while I'd just take that.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

BUG JUG posted:

If you have 30 years of working with computers and 2 years of help desk you can walk into a test center tomorrow without any worries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

ilkhan posted:

If you have 30 years of working with computers and 2 years of help desk you can walk into a test center tomorrow without any worries.

I'd go so far as to say if you have 30 years of working with computers and 2 years of help desk, you don't need to get an A+ anyway. Start with the Net+ or Sec+, it'll be marginally more interesting and nobody's going to care whether you have an A+ or not once you have one of those.