Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Professor Shark posted:

Okay, so the Goon Approved (and CNet) is the TCL 65R617?

Yes. The TCL 6-series is the bare minimum. If you find a different brand/model for cheaper, it's probably missing an essential feature that basically invalidates the whole point of upgrading to a 4K tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Finally got my LG C8 55" :dance:

I can't do anything with it yet however as I am waiting to finish decorating the wall it is being mounted on :smith:

When I do get it out of the box, what is the best 'wow' factor image film/tv I can put on to really showcase the upgrade?

Edit: also the guy in the store was cool and said to us not to worry about buying a £70 wall mount since we are mounting on a brick wall: are there any recommended or I should avoid on Amazon?

Bacon Terrorist fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 29, 2019

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The TCL 6 series is still the best mid range 4k TV. If you can find a vizio P series for the same price or cheaper like I was able to, that's a better option. But Samsung and LG mid ranges aren't as good (they obviously dominate at high range stuff).

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CordlessPen posted:

Yeah, if you've got CEC turned on, every time you turn to that input, it turns on what's connected to it. Right now this is very annoying for me because I only have the PS4 connected, so every time I exit Netflix/Prime/whatever, the TV goes back to HDMI1 and my PS4 turns on, but if I turn CEC off I can't control the PS4 with my remote.

I guess it's not possible to turn on/off CEC per input?

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I guess it's not possible to turn on/off CEC per input?
I think it is, actually! I only have the one input at the moment so I can't check for sure...

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CordlessPen posted:

I think it is, actually! I only have the one input at the moment so I can't check for sure...

I can't see an option for it. if anyone knows for LG TVs let me know.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I can't do anything with it yet however as I am waiting to finish decorating the wall it is being mounted on :smith:

When I do get it out of the box, what is the best 'wow' factor image film/tv I can put on to really showcase the upgrade?

uhd is nice but the best looking thing ive seen on my b8 was the non-4k stream of Our Planet on Netflix. the color and details are *bonkers*

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

qbert posted:

Yes. The TCL 6-series is the bare minimum. If you find a different brand/model for cheaper, it's probably missing an essential feature that basically invalidates the whole point of upgrading to a 4K tv.

Cool, I'm going to go with it. Does it come with a center stand? My current TV stand is 44" wide, it looks like this thing measures in at 57" and the legs go all the way to the sides... I'd prefer not to have to buy a new TV stand.

Edit: I guess a wall-mount would be the way to go. I don't know anything about them, though. Which one would work best for this TV?

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jun 30, 2019

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Bacon Terrorist posted:

https://youtu.be/3J6urFp8YZ0

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Majestic.

How the gently caress are LG selling expensive tvs with non detachable power cables in TYOOL 2019?!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Theres a Costco about 75 min away that has the Vizio PQ65 for $700. My understanding is that this TV is a bit better than the TCL 6 Series I ordered from Amazon for $600, but is it worth the price difference? Usage is streaming movies and TV shows, but it sounds like Id have to get at least a Roku stick so is the PQ65 $160 better?

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
The 65R617 is $632 plus 15% back at Amazon if you use your Amazon Credit card.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Josh Lyman posted:

There’s a Costco about 75 min away that has the Vizio PQ65 for $700. My understanding is that this TV is a bit better than the TCL 6 Series I ordered from Amazon for $600, but is it worth the price difference? Usage is streaming movies and TV shows, but it sounds like I’d have to get at least a Roku stick so is the PQ65 $160 better?

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/tcl-r617-vs-vizio-p-series-quantum/613/660

Look at the comparisons and see if it's worth it to you.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A friend was selling an older LCD, but gave it to me to replace a dead panel in my guest room. It was left in a Florida car for a day or two before being brought up and was DOA. It was in my warm but ACd house for a day before I tried it, and its been another day since an nothing. Any simple things to check for or is it pretty much done?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Josh Lyman posted:

Theres a Costco about 75 min away that has the Vizio PQ65 for $700. My understanding is that this TV is a bit better than the TCL 6 Series I ordered from Amazon for $600, but is it worth the price difference? Usage is streaming movies and TV shows, but it sounds like Id have to get at least a Roku stick so is the PQ65 $160 better?

P65 or PQ65? The later is a $1500 MSRP TV and I'd buy it in a heartbeat for $700. It will absolutely be better than the TCL in image quality and the extra warranty options at Costco would be icing on the cake.

edit: If it's just the P65 then its a bit of a wash. The Vizio has the advantage of 5 HDMI inputs (vs 3 of the TCL), but the TCL has a better smart interface. The 2019 version of the P65 is the M658-G1, which is better on paper, but I haven't seen any solid reviews yet. Sadly, Costco carries the M657-G0, which is similar, but has lower peak brightness and less dimming zones.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 1, 2019

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BeastOfExmoor posted:

P65 or PQ65? The later is a $1500 MSRP TV and I'd buy it in a heartbeat for $700. It will absolutely be better than the TCL in image quality and the extra warranty options at Costco would be icing on the cake.

edit: If it's just the P65 then its a bit of a wash. The Vizio has the advantage of 5 HDMI inputs (vs 3 of the TCL), but the TCL has a better smart interface. The 2019 version of the P65 is the M658-G1, which is better on paper, but I haven't seen any solid reviews yet. Sadly, Costco carries the M657-G0, which is similar, but has lower peak brightness and less dimming zones.
Its the PQ65 for sure. I assumed you guys would say yes, so I ended up picking one up. I havent seen my friends 55 TCL 6 Series in a while and I wouldnt be able to compare them side by side anyway.

Watching some additional reviews, it seems like the PQ65 is a premium TV priced as midrange while the TCL performs like midrange but is priced as budget. That said, the TCL at its newly discounted price is $160 less before consideration of Roku stick, but having the 2nd year of warranty from Costco is nice. Im not sure about buying the extended warranty though since a TV doesnt have moving parts so if its going to fail, thats likely to happen either right away or after the extended warranty has expired.

As a bottom line, if Im going to keep the TV for at least 5 years, the PQ65 is just a much better TV and Ill be happier with it long term... maybe?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 1, 2019

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Its the PQ65 for sure. I assumed you guys would say yes, so I ended up picking one up. I havent seen my friends 55 TCL 6 Series in a while and I wouldnt be able to compare them side by side anyway.

Watching some additional reviews, it seems like the PQ65 is a premium TV priced as midrange while the TCL performs like midrange but is priced as budget. That said, the TCL at its newly discounted price is $160 less before consideration of Roku stick, but having the 2nd year of warranty from Costco is nice. Im not sure about buying the extended warranty though since a TV doesnt have moving parts so if its going to fail, thats likely to happen either right away or after the extended warranty has expired.

As a bottom line, if Im going to keep the TV for at least 5 years, the PQ65 is just a much better TV and Ill be happier with it long term... maybe?

I think you made the right choice. That's a loving steal for that TV.

The Costco warranty stuff mostly comes into play when you use the Costco credit card to buy it, which adds another 2 years for a total of 4 years, which is pretty darn good. There's also the Squaretrade warranty they sell for $65. Supposedly you can stack all of these and get a total of 7 years of warranty, but I'd want to double check that before buying.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I think you made the right choice. That's a loving steal for that TV.

The Costco warranty stuff mostly comes into play when you use the Costco credit card to buy it, which adds another 2 years for a total of 4 years, which is pretty darn good. There's also the Squaretrade warranty they sell for $65. Supposedly you can stack all of these and get a total of 7 years of warranty, but I'd want to double check that before buying.
How does the grey uniformity look here? I feel like there are problem spots about 1/3 of the way in from both sides, more so on the left than the right, but my eyes may be playing tricks on me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5DH-iya0co

edit: I can definitely seen dirty screen effect with this video though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUm6wyf-Z1Q

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 1, 2019

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

How does the grey uniformity look here? I feel like there are problem spots about 1/3 of the way in from both sides, more so on the left than the right, but my eyes may be playing tricks on me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5DH-iya0co

I'm not seeing anything other than some vignetting in the extreme corners, which is typical from my understanding and not a big deal. I'm not super up to date on some of these "issues" people" run into, but your test video is basically the worst-case scenario. If you're sitting three feet in front of it and aren't even sure there is a "problem" you will never notice anything during real life use.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I'm not seeing anything other than some vignetting in the extreme corners, which is typical from my understanding and not a big deal. I'm not super up to date on some of these "issues" people" run into, but your test video is basically the worst-case scenario. If you're sitting three feet in front of it and aren't even sure there is a "problem" you will never notice anything during real life use.
This video definitely shows that gray uniformity issues are definitely there but youre right in that they dont really show up in all the HDR videos Ive been watching:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUm6wyf-Z1Q

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
PQ65 for $700 is the steal of the year. Nice. They liquidated them at costco.com for $1199, to put it in perspective.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
LG OLED55C8PLA for £1185 on Amazon.co.uk - worth it over the C9 at £2199?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The TCL 65 inch 6 series was $500 for like 45 minutes yesterday. My boss nabbed one when the price alert came up.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Rhyno posted:

The TCL 65 inch 6 series was $500 for like 45 minutes yesterday. My boss nabbed one when the price alert came up.

On what site??

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Amazon. He doesn't know if they are honoring it yet.

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/the-65-inch-tcl-65r617-tv-hits-an-all-time-low-499/

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

It was from a sell called something weird like "AMZN Fulfillment" with 45 seller reviews. Seemed super sketchy.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

So the TCL 6 is huge and my TV stand is only 43" and I think I'd just rather go with something smaller.

Would I regret the TCL 50S425-CA if I were to buy it, considering I'm using a 31.5" Dynex that my buddy was throwing out?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Give it a week and you'll be trying to figure out how to go bigger the next time.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
well i acclimated really quickly to my 65 b8 but it bugs me that the best the tv looks is like 12 feet away in the kitchen but i have a small apartmenr so what u gojna do

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Ammanas posted:

well i acclimated really quickly to my 65 b8 but it bugs me that the best the tv looks is like 12 feet away in the kitchen but i have a small apartmenr so what u gojna do

look at it through binoculars backwards

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

So the TCL 6 is huge and my TV stand is only 43" and I think I'd just rather go with something smaller.

Would I regret the TCL 50S425-CA if I were to buy it, considering I'm using a 31.5" Dynex that my buddy was throwing out?
You can install the legs facing inward. But yeah, youre gonna regret going smaller.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My 55" TCL has a notch on the legs that prevents you from installing the legs backwards. Is that a new change?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The LG C9 65 inch is currently $2,289 on ebay and sales tax is not collected in many states including CA.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254170006574

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

WattsvilleBlues posted:

LG OLED55C8PLA for £1185 on Amazon.co.uk - worth it over the C9 at £2199?

The C9 is extremely good for gaming, but that price premium is insane. Get the C8 for 1185, and it's not even close.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Taima posted:

The C9 is extremely good for gaming, but that price premium is insane. Get the C8 for 1185, and it's not even close.

I'm getting married in a few months so will have to wait til after that at the earliest for a new set. The input lag on the C9 is about a third lower than the C8 so I might even wait for the price of that model to come down.

Pretty tempting though.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Dogen posted:

look at it through binoculars backwards

lmbo

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Got a new TV, drat thing is a pickup artist. :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Bob Socko posted:

Got a new TV, drat thing is a pickup artist. :(

What does that mean?

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Taima posted:

The LG C9 65 inch is currently $2,289 on ebay and sales tax is not collected in many states including CA.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254170006574

Does anyone know if the "LG won't honor the warranty from a non-authorized dealer" comment that constantly comes up from Slickdeals a real thing? I've got my eye on the LG 77" C9 which Newegg has for $5k, but it's through an unauthorized dealer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What does that mean?

The presence of the letters "PUA" in the model name, you can Google the rest