Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
Finally managed to create my first course. Short, but hopefully fun.

30 second dash: T1R-KL2-NHF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Plebian Parasite posted:

Wanted to make a level where you go fast in the dark. It's a little difficult, and not terribly interesting, but I spent a few hours on it and its as done as its gonna be.

Son of Backdraft - 11C-08H-8LF

Whew. I had a tough time with this but I finally got it. The bit where you had to land on a single tile with the boo right next to it took me down several times. It was fun though so I persevered.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Now that I have more sleep in me I'm finding a handful of softlocks in my puzzle stage I submitted. Is there any way to clear it from the entry list because I'm updating it right now to fix a lot of it's issues.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Are there any unlocks for clearing more than 100 levels in a difficulty setting?

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

J-Spot posted:

Whew. I had a tough time with this but I finally got it. The bit where you had to land on a single tile with the boo right next to it took me down several times. It was fun though so I persevered.

I found out its really difficult to make stages in the dark, you either give the player too much information in which case why not just make the level in day mode, or you give him not enough and it makes it really unfair. Not to mention you, as the creator already know every twist and turn even in the dark so its tough to gauge exactly how hard the level honestly is.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Are there any unlocks for clearing more than 100 levels in a difficulty setting?

Clearing 100 Super Expert courses in endless mode gets you an outfit because you'll be number one on the leaderboard by a mile.

Plebian Parasite posted:

I found out its really difficult to make stages in the dark, you either give the player too much information in which case why not just make the level in day mode, or you give him not enough and it makes it really unfair. Not to mention you, as the creator already know every twist and turn even in the dark so its tough to gauge exactly how hard the level honestly is.

On the ghost house level I did, I used flame jets embedded in the ground as "candles" to illuminate the area around dangerous places. That gave a periodic light source that could work with players. A flamebar could have a similar effect or even fire plants that are trapped so that their occasional balls are just used for the light source.

I think the key is to use the darkness for mood more than difficulty since if you wanted to use it for difficulty then you'd need to tone your level way down to "anyone could make their way through this if the lights were on".

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 1, 2019

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Goons, how do you view the makers that you've followed? I can't see an option for it in Course World at all.

A bit late on this answer but you don't have to view the leaderboards strictly, from Course World pick Courses and then the tabs are Hot/Popular/New/Detailed/Star. Star symbol tab is courses by people you've followed and you can click on their profiles from their.

If you followed someone who has made no courses at all you might have to view the leaderboard.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

What does it mean for a course to be "athletic"?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

E: Athletic usually just means it's fast paced and you'll be jumping a LOT over pits. Mario series always has a "athletic" theme for these levels which are high energy (yoshi's island had one too)

I just deleted my old Toxic Friendship stage and fixed it like I planned to, can I ask someone in the thread if I went over it enough? It's not that long and pretty straightforward.

Toxic Friendship
PMH - VKY - 3VF

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 1, 2019

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

E: Athletic usually just means it's fast paced and you'll be jumping a LOT over pits. Mario series always has a "athletic" theme for these levels which are high energy (yoshi's island had one too)

I just deleted my old Toxic Friendship stage and fixed it like I planned to, can I ask someone in the thread if I went over it enough? It's not that long and pretty straightforward.

Toxic Friendship
PMG - VKY - 3VF

I'm getting course not found.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

100 degrees Calcium posted:

What does it mean for a course to be "athletic"?

"Athletic" is a traditional type of SMB level featuring a lot of aerial platforming: wide open pits, moving platforms, tracks, sometimes autoscrolling, etc.

Most SMB games have an associated track earmarked for them, so basically just think of any of the stages that use these songs.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

J-Spot posted:

I'm getting course not found.

Fixed the code in my post, I typo'd :argh:

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Fixed the code in my post, I typo'd :argh:

I liked it most of it a lot but I found the spike top part to be kind of difficult relative to the rest of the stage, then I got impatient about having to do all the slower bits over and over and started dying early due to carelessness.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

SelenicMartian posted:

From what I understand, you get creater avatar outfit junk for 10 and 100 clears for each difficulty level.

Svdl
May 9, 2006

Around the world

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Toxic Friendship
PMH - VKY - 3VF

I just played the older version through the Random Mario site earlier so I tried this one.
The content is much the same, though I'm guessing mechanically better?

It's a cool level, though I agree with the above comment about the spike part.

gropemotron
Feb 20, 2011

Another dimension, new galaxy
I made a platforming level with On/Off blocks that oscillate. I did it mostly to test mechanics to keep them switching throughout the level, but I think it turned out pretty fun

Blink Block Adventure
5TN-PT2-VTG.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I remember watching videos of speedrun levels in SMM1 where the stage was constantly exploding behind you as you moved through the level. I know the easiest way to detonate a bob-omb on a timer is to have a block on a track crush it. But in SMM2 I can't seem to overlay the bob-omb onto a square occupied by the track without having it ride the track--if I place the track first the bob-omb rides it and if I place the bob-omb first the track deletes it. Am I missing something? I know I can have the block move off the track a bit to crush the bob-omb but that limits the shapes I can use for the actual active part of the course.

Alternatively, are there any other things I'm missing for stages that force you to run at top speed like that?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Here's my entry for the Jam that was what I already wanted to make anyway!

Alien Wizards descend on the Mushroom Kingdom one fateful night. Mario must infiltrate and destroy the threat before it's too late! Watch out for freeze rays and low lights in:

Menacing Magikoopas from Mars
9TW-RGF-JWG

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Infidel Castro posted:

From what I understand, you get creater avatar outfit junk for 10 and 100 clears for each difficulty level.

lol if that 100 isn't cumulative I will only be able to do easy and maybe normal

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Going from Easy to Normal in Endless is switching from mostly inoffensive levels with an occasional tricky secret to single-block leaps over bottomless pits while under fire. In 15 lives burned I'm yet to finish a single normal course.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I finally tried versus mode today. I'm a bit disappointed that it appears to only pick easy courses but I suppose that's about the only way it would work. I'm sad my death gauntlets won't be the subject of any multiplayer shenanigans.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

U dorks better hold on to your hard hats. I’m about to upload a level that will knock the HECK* out of the level jam theme. Aww yeah.

*heck may not be knocked

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

SelenicMartian posted:

Going from Easy to Normal in Endless is switching from mostly inoffensive levels with an occasional tricky secret to single-block leaps over bottomless pits while under fire. In 15 lives burned I'm yet to finish a single normal course.

Yeah it's a real mess, at least at this point. Search has been so much more useful in the regard of getting levels people put effort into.

That brings me to the question: If you rate a level "Boo!", will that decrease its chances of appearing in endless?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So this course should probably be quite a bit easier than the previous three I did.

I finally got around to making a kind of course that got a lot of praise here so here's the first of its kind in MM2. It's a level that mechanically works like the rocket barrels in Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze:

Ant Army Escape

I'm not sure how many of these kinds of levels I'll make in the 3D World style in the future though. You just simply can't decorate the stage like you can the other styles.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 1, 2019

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SelenicMartian posted:

Normal is at least still reasonably fun at least, IMO. Hard and Super Expert levels were pretty much straight garbo as far as what I played.

I know there is a community that really enjoys them, so good on them I guess.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Normal could be literally endless for me. About one in five levels on normal are a deficit to me while the rest gain lives. My current run on normal has around thirty lives.

eonwe posted:

Normal is at least still reasonably fun at least, IMO. Hard and Super Expert levels were pretty much straight garbo as far as what I played.

Weirdly enough I've only gotten decent Super Expert levels so far. Okay, it's four of them, but still decent. Super challenging, of course, since they wouldn't be in that category otherwise, but stages I wouldn't mind playing out of that context. I'm positive effectively identical, lovely New Super Mario Bros. speed levels from Japan are lurking in the category by the bucketload; I just haven't encountered them yet.

Edit: Here's one of the good Super Expert courses. It's not mine: Collapsing Cavern (NW3-Q1J-MKF). It has 30k plays and 10k likes which I didn't know until I went to get the code so I could show an example. I guess the creator must be someone known to people or it got featured by some "big name" streamer.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 1, 2019

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I came across a level yesterday in Normal Endless with a 500 second timer that was literally just one single Kaizo style jump of "grab shell, jump and bounce shell off wall, jump on shell to make it over the very high wall" and an exit right after that.

I made it with like 25 seconds left.

That level got a Boo from me.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Macaluso posted:

I'm not sure how many of these kinds of levels I'll make in the 3D World style in the future though. You just simply can't decorate the stage like you can the other styles.
Yes, but Cat Mario.

One thing that the Normal Endless pain has taught me is that at a certain range Cat Mario swoop is interrupted by tornadoes.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Svdl posted:

I just played the older version through the Random Mario site earlier so I tried this one.
The content is much the same, though I'm guessing mechanically better?

It's a cool level, though I agree with the above comment about the spike part.

J-Spot posted:

I liked it most of it a lot but I found the spike top part to be kind of difficult relative to the rest of the stage, then I got impatient about having to do all the slower bits over and over and started dying early due to carelessness.

That's fair, I tried to put a wiggler down instead originally as it has a far more forgiving body, but wigglers fly in the night theme wouldn't you know it so that didn't work out quite like I hoped. Only other traveling enemies you can bounce off that would go down into the muncher pit that didn't die in one hit was the spike top so... I'm not sure how I could keep that particular part while making it easier.

And yeah, the new version just has
-One way tracks by the noteblocks. Figured you can jump up and ruin the puzzle if you hit them yourself
-Easier way to deal with the two koopa at the end
-Some slightly moved platforms to make things a bit more readable
-Fixed the little fluff ending I gave the stage as I had the blocks backwards.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 1, 2019

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Suspicious Cook posted:

Here's my entry for the Jam that was what I already wanted to make anyway!

Alien Wizards descend on the Mushroom Kingdom one fateful night. Mario must infiltrate and destroy the threat before it's too late! Watch out for freeze rays and low lights in:

Menacing Magikoopas from Mars
9TW-RGF-JWG

Holy poo poo dude, your use of effects in this level was masterful. I was able to cheese my way through the part where you're trapped by the bullet blaster but only after I'd already beat it legit. Amazing work.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

I came across a level yesterday in Normal Endless with a 500 second timer that was literally just one single Kaizo style jump of "grab shell, jump and bounce shell off wall, jump on shell to make it over the very high wall" and an exit right after that.

The very first Normal level I encountered was a practice level like that. They get in there because the lunatics play and clear it over and over again to practice these tricks and they get a very high clear rate. Fortunately, I haven't bumped into another one of those.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
5YN-NWF-KDG

A short tribute to one of my favorite books.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

SelenicMartian posted:

Yes, but Cat Mario.

Well I meant specifically the Rocket Barrel-like levels I make. Those really benefit from being able to decorate them so they just aren't empty hallways with enemies in them. But you can't really do that in the 3D World style. For instance it would've been great to have vines hanging around the stage to make it look more like you're under the ground. But there aren't even vines in 3D World.

And I will never make a stage in the NSMB style :colbert:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

The very first Normal level I encountered was a practice level like that. They get in there because the lunatics play and clear it over and over again to practice these tricks and they get a very high clear rate. Fortunately, I haven't bumped into another one of those.

I really wish a stage's difficulty wasn't determined by clear rate, but by some combination of that plus user rating.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

GreatGreen posted:

why would you boo that. Just skip it. Since boos can actually cause a level to be hidden, you shouldn't boo good levels that aren't your cup of tea. Shell jump practice levels are important and I would have loved to get that.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Has anyone seen/unlocked a Toad(ette) hat on any makers and if so how do I get it

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Argue posted:

I hope that they not only bring back the bookmark site but also add a playlist feature because jesus christ the influx of level codes in this thread is unmitigable in a way the first game wasn't.

The first game's site is still up, I have no idea why, now that they have a game that they know is gonna have a big community, and a companion app already, they didn't put an intern on getting a bookmark site 2.0 up. loving lazy as hell.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

why would you boo that. Just skip it. Since boos can actually cause a level to be hidden, you shouldn't boo good levels that aren't your cup of tea. Shell jump practice levels are important and I would have loved to get that.

That's true, maybe I wasn't being fair. It's not the level's fault it got put in the Normal category after all. I Boo'd it because it has no place in Normal and wasn't totally aware of how those rating systems work, not because there was anything inherently terrible about the level itself. I might go back to look for it and see if I can un-Boo it or Like it if that's not possible.

It was perfect for practicing that particular Kaizo move though. But it definitely should have at least been rated at least Hard.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

A level that's one trick is a bad level even if it's intended for practice. They deserve a boo when encountered. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I only boo levels that don't work like how the creator intended them to, or which only work correctly seemingly randomly due to them not thinking entirely about screen scroll, despawns, softlocks, etc.