Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I wish you could make levels with no timer. You could make some seriously excellent Mario Practice Jungle Gyms that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iFriend
Sep 11, 2001

Having a bad day?
Just uploaded my first course: TCQ-XW3-YGG

Rather short but hopefully a fun clear :)

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Mario Maker has this effect where exposure to it makes me want to put it down and play older Mario games. I never played New Super Mario Bros U and Super Mario 3D World, those look pretty cool. Part of me also wants to play through Super Mario World again and, god help me, give Kaizo Mario World a try :negative:

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I just bought this and am excited to pick it up at Target on the way home. Is everyone using a stylus to create levels? The Giant Bomb quick look made it sound like it was pretty mandatory. If so, which one is a good one? I don't know anything about styluses.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I got a Markiplier level in expert and like the second challenge was a spiny block that I couldn't see a way to jump over. And every time you hit it it would do the little baby laughing noise.

What I'm trying to say is youtube celebs have garbage design sensibilities and the likes system is dumb.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Mario Maker has this effect where exposure to it makes me want to put it down and play older Mario games. I never played New Super Mario Bros U and Super Mario 3D World, those look pretty cool. Part of me also wants to play through Super Mario World again and, god help me, give Kaizo Mario World a try :negative:

Same.

I'd love to try 3D World as well. Its physics in MM2 feel excellent. I'm banking on that game getting a Switch port eventually though, so I'm not too worried about it.

And if you really want to get into Kaizo stuff, if I'm not mistaken there was some Kaizo Tutorial level released a couple weeks back that basically takes you through the techniques one at a time in a really controlled way. I don't have a link though.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

owl_pellet posted:

I just bought this and am excited to pick it up at Target on the way home. Is everyone using a stylus to create levels? The Giant Bomb quick look made it sound like it was pretty mandatory. If so, which one is a good one? I don't know anything about styluses.

I got a stylus from walmart for 99 cents and it is doing the job adequately. Honestly though I use my finger a lot too and it's mostly fine.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

My coursejam submission is a coin collection stage that makes use of the fact that the SML power flower can pick up coins with its projectile.

OrbHurler - C4X-R78-YQF

Alright, now its time to spend less time making mario courses and more time playing mario courses.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

iFriend posted:

Just uploaded my first course: TCQ-XW3-YGG

Rather short but hopefully a fun clear :)

If you're going to do something like that cape section you need to sign post where people should be going by leaving a coin trail or something. First thing I did was fly as high as I could to instant death.

Macaluso posted:

So this course should probably be quite a bit easier than the previous three I did.

I finally got around to making a kind of course that got a lot of praise here so here's the first of its kind in MM2. It's a level that mechanically works like the rocket barrels in Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze:

Ant Army Escape

I'm not sure how many of these kinds of levels I'll make in the 3D World style in the future though. You just simply can't decorate the stage like you can the other styles.
This was really fun. It gets pretty tough at the end.

Plebian Parasite posted:

My coursejam submission is a coin collection stage that makes use of the fact that the SML power flower can pick up coins with its projectile.

OrbHurler - C4X-R78-YQF

Alright, now its time to spend less time making mario courses and more time playing mario courses.

I love this.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 1, 2019

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

owl_pellet posted:

Any stylus with a mushy black bit at the end should work fine. It's not mandatory though. I've been using the controller to build levels and while there is a very slight learning curve, once you get over that small hump it's actually a pretty good way to do it.

Plus, I'd rather build levels on a big TV or computer monitor than by staring down at the Switch and its relatively small display.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 1, 2019

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

It wasn't until I was about to upload my level that I noticed you can drag out the little line at the bottom to extend the level boundaries. Apparently I was only using like a third of the potential space?? :psyboom:

Have people been running up against the size limits on these? How do they compare to the first game?

Intl Cron
Dec 5, 2005

I'm just an olde-fashioned cowboy...
As promised, here's some feedback on levels I've been churning through from the super-awesome Random Acts of Mario randomizer utility.

If anyone hasn't checked out that link/the spreadsheet of Goon levels, I highly highly recommend it as a way to experience actually sane Mario Maker levels. It's been a lot of fun, and it's also given me a ton of ideas for my own courses!

quote:

"A Salty42 Tribute" - - - 74R-G6C-LQF
By: Defenestration_Strategy

I liked that this stage let you know what you're in for, right off the bat... The description helped, too! :)

This was a fun "Kaizo-lite" kind of course - these stages usually are not my kind of thing, but I enjoyed these little "challenge rooms" a lot. Nice work!

quote:

"Mario’s Folly" - - - PR1-XDG-NSG
By: Erluk

Definitely some "good clean fun" - a pretty straightforward Mario course, potentially even a good primer for somebody trying to learn the mechanics. There were some issues with spacing, where there'd be empty swaths of the level with clusters of tightly-packed enemies and platforms.

I really enjoyed the wiggler hop, though - there are lots of fun opportunities for speed and bouncing. I liked this one!

quote:

"Boom Boom's Hideout" - - - PRF-JML-XPG
By: CascadeBeta

This course was a delight - it felt extremely polished and well thought-out. The intro was a tight little classic dungeon sequence, which led into a terrifying miniboss, followed by a brutal (but fun) airship autoscroll.

The checkpointing was well done, too, although I spent a while grinding through that airship. This is my sweet spot for "tough" Mario platforming - the bullets could get a bit overwhelming at times, though. Highly recommended play!

quote:

"Haunted Heights" - - - K32 - K48 - TPG
By: ThisIsACoolGuy

Playing through these Goon levels is absolutely the way to go, man. This level was a lot of fun - on the easier side, but I absolutely do not hate that, lol

I've always had polarized feelings about ghost houses/Boos, in general, but this was definitely in that "fun" side of the spectrum. Great little coin hunt at the start, leading into a surprisingly inventive, fun little "pipe descent" - I loved that even though it was a chaotic scramble downward, I never felt "penalized" for picking a particular pipe. Awesome level.

quote:

"Boos and Bones" - - - HDY-4J1-90H
By: Flint_Paper

Speaking of ghost houses, I'm not the biggest fan of "door mazes" - that's just personal preference, really - this was a really well-done example of that kind of level. The challenges were fair, and I liked all the opportunities for "classic-style" skips with the Cape Feather - not to mention I'm a big fan of whipping Dry Bones with capes, any day.

I do have to mention the Jumping Piranha at the checkpoint flag was a bit... ehh, weird choice. I like to make the immediate zone around a checkpoint as much of an "oasis" as possible, generally.

quote:

"Buzzy Beanstalk" - - - K1K-1XB-N7G
By: Rather Watch Them

I had to quit because I kept getting thrown back to the flying Buzzy Beetle checkpoint - that sequence was too finicky for my clumsy-rear end Mario skills to endure much longer. This was a highly, highly polished course that played with a lot of interesting mechanics - Mario masochists should definitely check this one out.

Intl Cron fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 2, 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

PantsBandit posted:

I got a Markiplier level in expert and like the second challenge was a spiny block that I couldn't see a way to jump over. And every time you hit it it would do the little baby laughing noise.

What I'm trying to say is youtube celebs have garbage design sensibilities and the likes system is dumb.

Ross from Game Grumps spent about 8 hours trying to beat his Companion Spring 2 level, and had to call over The Completionist to get the level beat (which took about 6 of those 8 hours). They streamed the entire thing. It looked like the hardest parts were the long boss rooms.

Though to be fair, he builds them specifically for the show and not for the rest of the world. They just become super popular because he's super popular.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

It wasn't until I was about to upload my level that I noticed you can drag out the little line at the bottom to extend the level boundaries. Apparently I was only using like a third of the potential space?? :psyboom:

Have people been running up against the size limits on these? How do they compare to the first game?

I've been using a lot of the space because i'm a big fan of the screenlock feature so i have a lot of self contained bits that aren't necessarily organized efficiently

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
what controller works the best for this game? I can't use the joycons or switch pro controller. anyone using an sn30 from retrobit or the pokken controller?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I ran out of default blocks in the vertical section that was max extended of that Boss Piranha level I made, but I also made a bunch of narrow tubes and filled out the areas.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

PantsBandit posted:

Same size. Effectively larger though thanks to scroll stop, you don't need "filler" to visually separate areas of your level and keep people from setting ahead. Also the ground/block limit used to be 2000 combined, now the block limit itself is 2000 and ground limit is 4000.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Suspicious Cook posted:

Here's my entry for the Jam that was what I already wanted to make anyway!

Alien Wizards descend on the Mushroom Kingdom one fateful night. Mario must infiltrate and destroy the threat before it's too late! Watch out for freeze rays and low lights in:

Menacing Magikoopas from Mars
9TW-RGF-JWG

I take it all back. My jam entry is a barrel of arses compared to this. Everyone stop what you’re doing and play this level. It’s bloody lovely.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Shoot'em'Up
7L4-5V6-SGG

"Mario finds himself in a genre he's not quite used to."

My first dumb uploaded level. It’s a short little shmup!

Also, even making this dumb thing I learned that there's ALWAYS something more you want to do, especially after you click that Upload button. Almost no level is ever perfectly "complete" in the mind of whoever made it. Probably can be said about anything made by anybody, really.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 1, 2019

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Zand posted:

what controller works the best for this game? I can't use the joycons or switch pro controller. anyone using an sn30 from retrobit or the pokken controller?

is it the dpad on the pro controller that is causing issues?

i think the 8bitdo controllers have nice dpads so that would probably work for ya

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Here's my 4th level, going as close to "Nintendo-like" level design and difficulty as I can get.

I saw some pages back in the thread about a level jam this week involving switches? This is what I came up with:

Switching it Up, Mario Style

TYW-G34-WVF

The koopa troopas have gone mad with switches! Put a stop to this madness!

Three optional challenge rooms await you on this level. Can you beat them all in one go?

Would appreciate feedback on difficulty and aesthetics :)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Maker 1 had that effect partially because on average the level quality felt much lower so you just wanted to play real good levels again

Maker 2 did make me realize I actually liked 3d world

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Lugaloco posted:

TYW-G34-WVF

This looks and plays great. While I got past it with only losing a mushroom I thought the last wall jump bit was maybe a bit too tricky to time and punitive relative to the difficulty of the rest of the level.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Maker 1 had that effect partially because on average the level quality felt much lower so you just wanted to play real good levels again

Maker 2 did make me realize I actually liked 3d world a lot. Best multiplayer MARIO experience imo.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

NSMBU is good but 3D World is such a delightful game. It would be a major shame if it doesn’t get a Switch port. It’s my favorite 3D Mario game. It makes me really happy that it’s getting more recognition by being a Mario Maker style.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

A halfwit’s attempt at a switch-based level. I wanted to make a shooting gallery. Instead, I made this.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I see people make little widgets where they scribbled some text. How do I do that?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Lugaloco posted:

TYW-G34-WVF

I feel like this section might be easy to cheese by bouncing from the rock wall to the red blocks and back instead of between the red and blue blocks like I'm assuming you intended. Maybe line each outer wall with downward facing one-way gates, or spike blocks if you want to make it tougher.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 1, 2019

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Lugaloco posted:

TYW-G34-WVF

You should color enemy dropping pipes differently from the ones that go to challenge rooms, I got a koopa dropped on my face.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ultrachrist posted:

I see people make little widgets where they scribbled some text. How do I do that?

Those are comments from players.

The best comments being "This enemy was hard to dodge!" placed over an enemy so you can't see them.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Have some levels by the creator of Celeste.

https://twitter.com/MattThorson/status/1144514048651743232

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

GreatGreen posted:

I feel like this section might be easy to cheese by bouncing from the wall to the red blocks and back instead of between the red and blue blocks. Maybe line each outer wall with something that can't be bounced off of, or that will catch Mario and take him back to the bottom, or if you want to make it really tough, spike blocks.

Yeah that section was made to teach the player the timing of wall jumping with switch blocks but I didn't want to punish them for failing it when they encountering it for the first time. Though I think you're right that I could have maybe lined parts of the walls with spikes. There is a later section that does exactly that (and doesn't have a floor). Maybe I could've ramped that up better.

Plebian Parasite posted:

You should color enemy dropping pipes differently from the ones that go to challenge rooms, I got a koopa dropped on my face.

Noted, thanks!

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I've felt like I tend to lean overly complex by default, so I made a simple, straightforward, hopefully easy run-and-jump level: Dry Dry Athletic, FHK-T22-1QG.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

His poo poo is appropriately enough hard af.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

This level has taught me that there are large portions of the back of the banzai bill that have no hitbox. Keep sliding right through them.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The best comments being "This enemy was hard to dodge!" placed over an enemy so you can't see them.

See, when I saw "my parents just got a divorce!" I thought it was the creator making a joke and not some sad kid announcing it to the world while playing a Mario level...

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I turn comments off because they are distracting.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ultrachrist posted:

See, when I saw "my parents just got a divorce!" I thought it was the creator making a joke and not some sad kid announcing it to the world while playing a Mario level...

That is likely a reference to a meme, on Game Grumps playing Super Mario 3D world, you could see Miiverse comments and in one of the first videos there was one that said "This game is great! My mom and dad fight a lot."

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

NofrikinfuN posted:

I turn comments off because they are distracting.

Same. I wish you could set it to turn off in-level comments but still see after-level ones. I know that was possible in Mario Maker 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

How do you draw the non-solid decorative background tiles in the SMB1 style?

SeANMcBAY posted:

Same. I wish you could set it to turn off in-level comments but still see after-level ones. I know that was possible in Mario Maker 1.

I noticed Nintendo of Japan’s Mario Maker account has comments turned off, so maybe there is a way?