Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I don't gently caress with scifi all that much (vonnegut and that's it, really) but I started the "3 body problem" and about halfway through the first book. I like it quite a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

My gf is back and I made her her favorite meal as a welcome home and all is right with the world again :unsmith:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Goon Danton posted:

My gf is back and I made her her favorite meal as a welcome home and all is right with the world again :unsmith:

:3:

speaking of good vibes group was good today, no one particular thing but it was nice to see my bipolar homies

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

how do I feel less terrible on the weekends when I don't have work?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

how do I feel less terrible on the weekends when I don't have work?

Get some more sun. in fact you may need vitamin d I dont know if youve had bloodwork done on your levels

if youre not a social creature then you can go to parks and hang out, write, do computer nonsense, whatever. maybe even pick up a craft. just find something meditative and fun you can do that involves relaxing instead of deadlines and obligations.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
i know this like my 5th "help, i hate my job" post in this thread, but i don't know how much i can take of this boring, soul sucking job. i feel tried and restless all the time. i feel like i never truly have "me" time because i still live at home with my family. i have a decent amount of money saved up, but i want some sort of job security and health insurance before i find my own place. oh and i have no friends lol

yes, i'm looking for another job, but i still lack some of the specific skills and experience a lot the positions i'm applying to are asking for.

i'm so sick of this existence, i'm a useless failure who will never truly be happy before the climate apocalypse

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
you're definitely not alone in feeling like that and although it's not your fault our society is set up like that there's generally some things you can do to make your situation better. what kinds of jobs are you looking for? I'd recommend applying even if you don't meet the listed requirements, because if you can explain how some previous experience has indirectly given you equivalent skills that's often a good way in. best of luck to you

e: looking for jobs makes everyone feel like a worthless pos btw :(

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
i'm looking at analytical roles like financial analyst and treasury analyst, but those types of jobs usually want someone with a bachelor's degree in accounting/finance. i have a bachelor's degree in economics and a master's degree in policy economics lol.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Equeen posted:

i'm looking at analytical roles like financial analyst and treasury analyst, but those types of jobs usually want someone with a bachelor's degree in accounting/finance. i have a bachelor's degree in economics and a master's degree in policy economics lol.

I feel like usually having a masters in an adjacent field if you have experience is sufficient. Id definitely apply, theres a good chance theyll look favorably on an applicant like you with a masters compared to someone with just a BA in the area right out of college or something. I only managed to find this full time thing with my useless history degrees after putting out probably a thousand applications elsewhere

i also live with my parents and have no friends so I dont have any advice there except to say I totally understand the feeling

Finicums Wake posted:

it's not sci fi but based on your other posts about being a historian and studying marxism, i thought you might find some of this interesting: http://www.sovlit.net

hell yeah thanks man. I read a few scifi books (ordered Three Body Problem too, thread recommendation pushed me over the edge) but I was feeling in the mood for some other type of stuff and this is extremely the kind of thing I was looking for

had another date this weekend, third one in as many weeks, and despite us hitting it off over text I found her kinda boring IRL and, again, like a couple dozen pounds heavier than her pictures implied. the last girl I went out with before that was like, WAY bigger than her pictures, and also irritating with her bizarre story about being attacked by evil Bernie bros on election night, so I didnt expect much, but still disappointing. my pictures are pretty honest and range from a year old to a few days old and I keep assuming people are all equally transparent. to be fair none of them seemed interested in me either, two never texted again after our date and one explicitly rejected me at the end, which I appreciated (and told her that)

dating sucks, my last few girlfriends I met on my first/second online date last time I was doing this, so lots of individual ones are much lamer and enervating. got two more dates set up this week though, one with a girl who is like 23 and seems nice, and one with a girl my age who is an art professor and incredibly attractive, more so than Id ever think of as being in my league, so that could be cool

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer

Equeen posted:

yes, i'm looking for another job, but i still lack some of the specific skills and experience a lot the positions i'm applying to are asking for.

i'm so sick of this existence, i'm a useless failure who will never truly be happy before the climate apocalypse

I've been where you are and I made it through. Im basically bad at everything, and if I can do it, you can too. It wasn't easy but there's something you need to know: you aren't useless and you aren't a failure. The only people who don't feel that way while sometimes are either sociopaths or liars. You're just in a slump, and once you get out of it you'll wonder how you ever felt this way.

Apply to jobs even if you don't have he right degree. Sometimes people get lucky that way. Applying for jobs sucks, but you gotta. Maybe just do a couple per day.

We are made to think that we have to follow a career path that has a logical order, but actually it's all made up random nonsense. Try your best and keep it up. I stumbled through this situation and eventually succeeded. You can too.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
If you feel like you're under-qualified for a job, apply to it anyway.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Chokes McGee posted:

Get some more sun. in fact you may need vitamin d I don’t know if you’ve had bloodwork done on your levels

if you’re not a social creature then you can go to parks and hang out, write, do computer nonsense, whatever. maybe even pick up a craft. just find something meditative and fun you can do that involves relaxing instead of deadlines and obligations.

thank you for reminding me that I have a new jar of vitamins. I should take up a hobby too. I took up running but need something else to distract myself.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

thank you for reminding me that I have a new jar of vitamins. I should take up a hobby too. I took up running but need something else to distract myself.

Maybe try card weaving? You just need some yarn and cardboard to get started :)

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

Cross stitch/embroidery really loving rules and has been great for my fidgeting during D&D. It's a repetitive, meditative motion where I can be watching TV (or listening to the DM) and is a really cheap hobby. Plus you can make really nifty poo poo that's also really dumb!

I'm making a variant of this for my friend:

There are patterns online if you don't want to make your own, or there's this sweet marker that erases on contact with water if you want to draw something.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I got an beginners crochet kit. still need to buy yarn but I'm hoping I can make a decent beanie hat and scarf by winter time

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

If you feel like you're under-qualified for a job, apply to it anyway.

People I've seen talking about this stuff on Tumblr have said that the people hiring would be nervous of hiring someone who did fit all the criteria - they would expect those people to get better offers from other places and be off in a flash. I don't know why they would ask for qualifications they don't expect people to necessarily have, but I'm unemployed, so what do I know.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Sanguinary Novel posted:

Cross stitch/embroidery really loving rules and has been great for my fidgeting during D&D. It's a repetitive, meditative motion where I can be watching TV (or listening to the DM) and is a really cheap hobby. Plus you can make really nifty poo poo that's also really dumb!

I'm making a variant of this for my friend:

There are patterns online if you don't want to make your own, or there's this sweet marker that erases on contact with water if you want to draw something.

This looks so cool! You're very talented!
I like these suggestions and when I move back to my city I think I will find a crafts store and poke around :)

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

I got a cold caller, and was anxious and just hung up on them. I wish I was not scared of talking to strangers on the phone. I looked up the number afterwards, and they might be my electricity supplier calling about installing a smart meter, or they might be criminals pretending to be from my electricity supplier - the internet didn't seem to be sure either. But I can't convince complete strangers that being phoned up unexpectedly to talk about important things with strangers makes me anxious to the point that I'd rather leave my phone off sometimes than deal with it. I'm sure getting a smart meter is a good idea, but I'd like to arrange it myself and have plenty of time to prepare than get it sprung on me suddenly by people who might be anyone for all I loving know.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest. On the subject of crafts, knitting is quite good, though perhaps a bit sweaty for this time of year. Or, if you live somewhere where it's sweaty all year round, jewellery making can be quite nice, and is also good if you have broken pieces of jewellery, single earrings or something else you can break down and "upcycle". Then you might give people knitted or crafted gifts, and they'll be very impressed.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Holy poo poo yesterday was my fifth day on Effexor and I was so depressed I was barely able to get out of bed. I have never felt this way on any drug ever. Im feeling a lot better today so heres hoping its one of those weird initial symptoms that go away.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Jollity Farm posted:

I got a cold caller, and was anxious and just hung up on them. I wish I was not scared of talking to strangers on the phone. I looked up the number afterwards, and they might be my electricity supplier calling about installing a smart meter, or they might be criminals pretending to be from my electricity supplier - the internet didn't seem to be sure either. But I can't convince complete strangers that being phoned up unexpectedly to talk about important things with strangers makes me anxious to the point that I'd rather leave my phone off sometimes than deal with it. I'm sure getting a smart meter is a good idea, but I'd like to arrange it myself and have plenty of time to prepare than get it sprung on me suddenly by people who might be anyone for all I loving know.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest. On the subject of crafts, knitting is quite good, though perhaps a bit sweaty for this time of year. Or, if you live somewhere where it's sweaty all year round, jewellery making can be quite nice, and is also good if you have broken pieces of jewellery, single earrings or something else you can break down and "upcycle". Then you might give people knitted or crafted gifts, and they'll be very impressed.

I know this is a complete platitude but a therapist could really help you work through anxiety over things like that which can make it hard or frustrating to function in day to day life. phone calls and stuff shouldnt be a miserable experience

anyway Im going loving stir crazy today. my new job is in admissions but we havent gotten any applicants the last few days and Ive processed all the ones we do have to the extent I can. I have literally no work and my supervisor is gone this week, so even taking over half of her duties Ive already done them. I had maybe 50 minutes of work this morning, done languidly, and the rest of the day has been empty. I talked to my boss-boss yesterday and she knows there isnt much happening yet - in the next few months well get more until they peak and Ill be processing all day, every day - but in the meantime she mentioned not wanting me to be bored, and I told her about some things Im doing like writing a training manual for people who come into this position later and trying to come up with better methods for applicant tracking and she seemed happy, so I think objectively I dont have to worry about anything. but sitting here for eight and a half hours a day in a room without sunlight with two huge computer monitors + a laptop I cant even use to fart around online is just cultivating a creeping sense of dread

I guess I could use them, we dont have filters or internet policies or an IT guy monitoring our use afaik, but Im absolutely desperate to prove myself and do a good job but I cant do that if nobody is around and there isnt much to do, and Im afraid they might actually somehow find out Im browsing forums or something even though it has never been mentioned

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

a lot of office work is like that, if there is no work to be done you are almost certainly not expected to keep away from some light distractions. it is great to do a good job, but if there isn't enough work to do it is unlikely anyone will really thank you for highlighting the fact.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

oh yeah no way am I like, pointing out to our boss we dont have much to do, I dont have much interaction with others in general anyway but when I do I dont even acknowledge the slow pace and it never comes up because Im in kind of a bubble with two other people anyway. its just weird for me because obviously I would never ask for work and I only mention taking on tasks as a way to illustrate I can be proactive but all my old work was either internal and self directed or retail

I see the admin assistants browsing clothes sites all day in between emails and stuff so its probably fine. Im just really nervous about possibly doing a less than ideal job on anything or somehow missing something despite having not answered an email in less than three minutes since I started

mostly Im just venting, thanks for the space, thread

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

My boss is on vacation this week and holy crap is my mood (and my productivity honestly) way up thanks to it. It's amazing how much I can get done when nobody is coming by to shout at me to work faster. And the lack of panic attacks or flashbacks is a plus too.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

rear end posted:

Holy poo poo yesterday was my fifth day on Effexor and I was so depressed I was barely able to get out of bed. I have never felt this way on any drug ever. Im feeling a lot better today so heres hoping its one of those weird initial symptoms that go away.

FWIW Effexor was goddamn awful for me, but I react to SNRIs pretty badly in general. Around the time I woke up screaming at the top of the lungs while grabbing my wife in a headlock was when I decided, hmm, perhaps SNRIs are not the drug for me. :stare:

If it's working now then stick with it, but if it continues to give you trouble, don't forget to call your p-doc and let them know. Even if it's burn-in symptoms, they'll be able to tell you that. If the side effects concern either of you, you can always try something else.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 02:09 on Jul 3, 2019

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Chokes McGee posted:

FWIW Effexor was goddamn awful for me, but I react to SNRIs pretty badly in general. Around the time I woke up screaming at the top of the lungs while grabbing my wife in a headlock was when I decided, hmm, perhaps SNRIs are not the drug for me. :stare:

If it's working now then stick with it, but if it continues to give you trouble, don't forget to call your p-doc and let them know. Even if it's burn-in symptoms, they'll be able to tell you that. If the side effects concern either of you, you can always try something else.

I was already tapering off Paxil the week prior so maybe it's that drug's discontinuation symptoms hitting me with a vengeance :v:

Either way I'll ride it out for a while and see how it goes.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Going back to paying attention to the news for the past week has just flattened me. I need to disengage and take another week long break from it, but I don't think I can keep convincing myself that putting my head in the sand for the sake of my mental health is acceptable. I'll do it, because I won't be able to function in any capacity if I don't, but at this point, I honestly believe that the fact that Americans aren't doing what's necessary to end this makes us all complicit.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

mekyabetsu posted:

Going back to paying attention to the news for the past week has just flattened me. I need to disengage and take another week long break from it, but I don't think I can keep convincing myself that putting my head in the sand for the sake of my mental health is acceptable. I'll do it, because I won't be able to function in any capacity if I don't, but at this point, I honestly believe that the fact that Americans aren't doing what's necessary to end this makes us all complicit.

Yeah. I'm taking an extended leave of absence, and if that means losing IK status, then whatever.

My ultimate goal is to be so milquetoast that everyone outside the thread regulars forgets I'm one anyway :v:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
check out this sweet ad my friend found in a retro Dragon magazine:

Take care of yourself comrades.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

check out this sweet ad my friend found in a retro Dragon magazine:

Take care of yourself comrades.

most logical. I find no fault with those conclusions. :hmmyes:

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
How can one give so much, do so much, and just feel so little? Every day feels more hopeless than the last, every night so painfully lonely. I'm trying to make something meaningful, something to live for, but it all tastes like ash.

I'm so pathetic, I keep doing things for people because that's the only way people acknowledge me. That's the only way I know how to find self-worth. I'm destined to find someone who will use and abuse me until I'm so broken and shriveled. How can you make boundaries if you have to have someone tell you what those are? gently caress, so desperate, so ugly, so gross, so pitiful, so useless, so loving selfish so stupid

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
actually nah

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Sanguinary Novel posted:

How can one give so much, do so much, and just feel so little? Every day feels more hopeless than the last, every night so painfully lonely. I'm trying to make something meaningful, something to live for, but it all tastes like ash.

I'm so pathetic, I keep doing things for people because that's the only way people acknowledge me. That's the only way I know how to find self-worth. I'm destined to find someone who will use and abuse me until I'm so broken and shriveled. How can you make boundaries if you have to have someone tell you what those are? gently caress, so desperate, so ugly, so gross, so pitiful, so useless, so loving selfish so stupid

This isn't true.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Finally got a job interview next week. I just need a find a nice navy blue dress for said interview.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Sanguinary Novel posted:

i know this all feels hyper-personal, but this is textbook brain depression that can be sorted out by a therapist and prescribed medication. get your brain fixed and live a better life!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Sanguinary Novel posted:

Hi there. Speaking as someone with minor body dysmophia and repeating thought cycles such as above, this is a lot less true that you'd think, although it's monstrously difficult to actually accept that. However, it is a very good idea for you to see a therapist if at all possible. They (unless you find one who's horrible—remember, licensed only!) will not make any sort of judgement as to your worth, utility, or attractiveness. What they can do is provide third party feedback and/or strategies such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to challenge your ideas. It may not be (and I strongly suspect it's not) nearly as bad as you think.

Remember, you are not defined by your utility to society or others, even through attracting mates. You may need to dive deep within yourself to find the things about yourself you like, but you don't need validation from others to define yourself by. Best of luck, and please let us know how it goes. You're not alone.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Equeen posted:

Finally got a job interview next week. I just need a find a nice navy blue dress for said interview.

congrats! is it a job youre excited about potentially?

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Frog Act posted:

congrats! is it a job youre excited about potentially?

the job itself isn't super exciting, but it seems way more engaging than my current one. honestly, i'm just glad it's a direct hire position

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
Thanks dudes. I just got back into therapy and have been taking meds for awhile. The psychiatrist has been focusing on the anxiety lately, and stripping that back has revealed Oops! All Depression. I am going to bring that post to my therapist though and talk strategy. I do okay during the day when its light out and I'm keeping busy, but at night when I'm by myself I just fall the gently caress apart. Thanks again for your kind posts, and especially to the person who PM'd me.