Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

PERSONA

FactsAreUseless posted:

Don't read Reddit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Don't dox me.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Rand Brittain posted:

They draw from nature generally, not just the forest.

The idea that the elementals control their magic is probably just a protection racket.

Basically yeah. White magic is just white magic; conjury is really rudimentary white magic blended with nature magic that the Gelmorrans used to talk to the elementals and ask very nicely if they could stop getting murdered by the forest every time they poked their heads out of the ditch they were living in.

Thaumaturgy seems to be much more grounded in the roots of actual black magic, just hobbled in power enough to uh, not precipitate a bunch of power mad potatoes going to war with literally everyone.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Someone asked about DNC glams. I noticed taking it through a couple dungeons as an MSQ break that, despite the name and class equipment, it's not particularly flowing or dancery in its movements. Instead, it strikes me as a lot more athletic, especially with the jogging MNK-style idle animation. So that's what I went with. Anemos jacket, cashmere aiming skirt, the Doman aiming head piece you can buy in the Forgotten Knight, and the Scion sneakers.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I'm only 74 so far but enjoying the WHM changes. It WOULD be nice to have a lily-expending skill that was offensive. May not get used much in instances, but would be nice out in the open world.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Eltoasto posted:

I'm only 74 so far but enjoying the WHM changes. It WOULD be nice to have a lily-expending skill that was offensive. May not get used much in instances, but would be nice out in the open world.

If SCHs don't get energy drain, WHMs definitely shouldn't.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
This was probably the best expansion I've ever played out of any MMO.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Eltoasto posted:

That would defeat the purpose of Afflatus Misery, which is that it effectively gives you three "free" GCDs for healing and movement that you would otherwise be casting Glare in. It's not intended to be a DPS gain on single targets in the way that burning all of your Aetherflow on Energy Drain vs. Lustrate would've been for SCH. It's still efficient to just spam AfSol on yourself to charge it if you're fighting multiple things on the overworld.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

For the people who finished the story, don't forget the two other Level 80 dungeons. They have amazing music and own.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

So I got AST to 80 and did some 80 things.

And well, this job is way better than it ever has been from a gameplay perspective. The cards require way more decision making, especially since you can easily get 3 or 4 cards going at the same time. Celestial Intersection is love, and Horoscope is surprisingly potent, and useful with the amount of "eat a continual bunch of aoe" mechanics there are. Playing AST since 3.0 and have never had this much fun. AST is way higher apm than it ever has been, and I'm glad I went AST over WHM first.

Pros, condensed:
Cards - everything about them. More actions, more decisions, no loving OG spire or ewer.
Celestial Intersection - My favourite new AST skill. Low cooldown and great ability for an oGCD. The shield stacks with Galvanize and Divine Benison.
Celestial Opposition - The regen stacks with other regens, and the shield stacks with other shields.
Horoscope - Doesn't say the potency on it, but it's probably 400-500. Get a ton of use out of it.
Never had any MP issues with sloppy Lucid usage.

If I have any complaints, it's that:
Dps wise I'm way less potent than my 72 WHM.
Celestial Opposition feels weak for the CD time (120)
Collective Unconsciousness is the worst bubble

how exactly can cards be MORE complex now and require more decision making? you just slap the melee cards on melee and ranged on ranged and minor arcana until you get that big CD thingy

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

So the items to get the stuff for the frog mount are from some super fate chain in Kholusia anyone know the details?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

how exactly can cards be MORE complex now and require more decision making? you just slap the melee cards on melee and ranged on ranged and minor arcana until you get that big CD thingy

Cards before were a fairly binary process of getting AoE RR + one of the three DPS cards (preferably Balance) and Minor Arcana/Discarding anything that didn't fit that bill. The only real challenge of quick thinking at 70 came from quickly dealing with whatever hand Sleeve Draw gave you. You now have to track which card should be applied to who and balance the remaining cooldown of Divination with your current seal status, number of Redraws, and if Sleeve Draw is off CD or not when deciding whether to Minor Arcana a card. Both of those are more involved processes than before.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
So is there an Excalibur guild that's particularly active? I'm just getting to Shadowbringers and I feel like it might be time to try and join one.

Separately, being super late to the party I want to try and get this Ixion mount. Just saw someone with it and really like it. Is there a good way to figure out when the Fate will spawn other than teleporting to the Loch and checking the weather?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mikeraskol posted:

So is there an Excalibur guild that's particularly active? I'm just getting to Shadowbringers and I feel like it might be time to try and join one.

Separately, being super late to the party I want to try and get this Ixion mount. Just saw someone with it and really like it. Is there a good way to figure out when the Fate will spawn other than teleporting to the Loch and checking the weather?

All 3 mentioned in the OP hover near the 512 player capacity and are quite active. PBC was over 200 online over the weekend at one point, I know TPT was close to that mark as well.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

gently caress it, I'm back in. I'll be upgrading my processor this Friday (birthday hooray) and I'll be making a new account and boost a goddamn Viera Gunbreaker into Heavensward immediately.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Just finished up this morning. Been playing since Friday with small breaks.

Major Spoilers, obviously
The whole thing was great, but in particular 79 to the ending was great. Gulg being directly followed by a trial gave a very climactic experience, only to have the twist that was probably obviously coming. I really like the twist wasn't something lamer, and the set back, while i knew it would be resolved still did a good job creating some tension and uncertainty with how things would play out. I spent the whole leveling process wondering what the heck the 6th zone would be, and while I initially found it a bit of a let down from my speculation, it didn't take long for it to impress. The section up till the 80 dungeon did an amazing job sort of creating a "calm before the storm" that was an insane payoff/conclusion. I feel like I've forgotten all the little things I wanted to recount, but holy poo poo did I mark out so hard over the Crystal Exarch summoning the other players.

I also really just enjoy the flow of "fixing" zones. Feels really cool for the MSQ to have a tangible effect on the world, and i hope they find a way to do that again in the future.

Expert Dungeon spoilers
The Twinning is a rad dungeon, and the second the final boss's theme played I was like "oh man." Not Alexander was a rad boss.

Definitely feels like a way stronger MSQ then SB.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

hobbesmaster posted:

All 3 mentioned in the OP hover near the 512 player capacity and are quite active. PBC was over 200 online over the weekend at one point, I know TPT was close to that mark as well.

Great, thanks. I couldn't tell.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Vermain posted:

Cards before were a fairly binary process of getting AoE RR + one of the three DPS cards (preferably Balance) and Minor Arcana/Discarding anything that didn't fit that bill. The only real challenge of quick thinking at 70 came from quickly dealing with whatever hand Sleeve Draw gave you. You now have to track which card should be applied to who and balance the remaining cooldown of Divination with your current seal status, number of Redraws, and if Sleeve Draw is off CD or not when deciding whether to Minor Arcana a card. Both of those are more involved processes than before.

In 4man dungeons the aoe effect was less useful since it was halved potency. You could have a lot of fun getting an extended balance on a good DPS, time extending it and then celestial oppositioning it even further but that's all gone now of course

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I played ARR on release up to level 50 as a WHM, but quit soon after. Feels like a good time to play again because buying Shadowbringers nets you all the other content.

But logging in after all that time is overwhelming, I don't remember anything. My bags are packed full of items and there are quests just all over everything. I don't recall being this lost picking up WoW again after a break.

I feel like starting from scratch is the best option and worry about it later once I get my head around things again.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

g0lbez posted:

In 4man dungeons the aoe effect was less useful since it was halved potency. You could have a lot of fun getting an extended balance on a good DPS, time extending it and then celestial oppositioning it even further but that's all gone now of course

The main use I had for Time Dilation/Celestial in dungeons was giving the tank some superbuffed Diurnal Aspected Benefic + Collective Unconscious with an extra 25 seconds on it and then never having to touch them for the duration of a pull, which is probably why they axed it. Active healing being important in ShB is a big part of the reason why I'm enjoying it so much.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I've only finished the 2nd dungeon and done some odds and ends side quests so far but this is easily the best delivery of an MMO expansion I've ever seen.

e: And all the music slaps real fuckin hard, like, drat

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

I played ARR on release up to level 50 as a WHM, but quit soon after. Feels like a good time to play again because buying Shadowbringers nets you all the other content.

But logging in after all that time is overwhelming, I don't remember anything. My bags are packed full of items and there are quests just all over everything. I don't recall being this lost picking up WoW again after a break.

I feel like starting from scratch is the best option and worry about it later once I get my head around things again.

You don't necessarily have to start all over. If you feel lost, try running some of the early guildhests or dungeons to get a feel for your buttons, go beat up a training dummy, or do the Hall of the Novice. If you don't like the way WHM feels to you right now, go unlock something else you might be interested in and level it up from 1. Really there are better alternatives to wiping your story progression.

#1 thing you should focus on is the MSQ. Do this until you get level-gated (which will take a while since you're 50 and still in 2.x), go do some leveling (Duty Roulette, etc.), rinse and repeat.

#2 is your main job quests. Do them as soon as they're available because they dish out equipment and abilities.

#3 is unlocking stuff via the blue-colored quest markers. You should take these when you come across them.

There's tons of old content that goons will be more than happy to run you through because everyone gets bonus rewards if at least one player is a first-timer.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 1, 2019

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

Just finished up this morning. Been playing since Friday with small breaks.

Major Spoilers, obviously

Oh heck I forgot about that part of the final showdown. Summoning 7 heroes from other shards/times is both a really sensible way to explain suddenly having party members there, and a really badass way to handle it.

Hades may not have the oh poo poo name cred of Ultima Weapon, KotR, or Shinryu, but I'd been wondering when they were going to pull him out of the list of unused summons and it was a cool fight. Only wiped once when we assumed the explosions would follow a Shiva pattern and derped to our deaths.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Ya'll are making me wanna resub. Must stay strong.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

You can pretty much ignore any quests minus the story quests for the near future. Most quests that have a + are typically more important (a lot of them unlock things for you) but if you put on that earring you got for buying shadowbringers, you will pretty easily keep up with exp as you plow through the story. Go pick up a retainer and dump off/sell most of your inventory.

If you want to figure out how to play your class again, there's a dungeon called Palace of the Dead that is really great for getting back in the swing of things. The whole gimmick is that it forces you down to level 1 and then you have a roguelike-ish dungeon crawl, gaining levels at a pretty quick pace and it should give you a feel for all your class abilities and things as it feeds them to you in a reasonable trickle.

I wouldn't completely restart because that'll put you WAY on the back foot and having to replay multiple dozens of hours worth of content and grinding.

Here's a passable link to everything that happens in all of the 2.0 story. Depending on how much you've done on 2.1 and beyond you may need to watch specific patch recaps. The guy's voice is kind of grating and he spends the first and last couple of minutes plugging his poo poo like a dipshit, but it's a pretty reasonable summation of the story so far in 10 minutes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p97bk54H1B0

I will say the later ARR story quests are a real treat and the transition into Heavensward is some really excellent storytelling and Heavensward as a whole is really good. Try and stick it out without completely restarting if you can.

You should also be able to go back and re-watch all the story cutscenes from your inn room too I believe, there should be text there that can catch you up as well.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 1, 2019

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

Yeah, as mentioned just read a story recap for plot points if that's your thing. As for getting back into the feel of WHM, just run a few dungeons to get the feel of things again.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DeathSandwich posted:

I will say the later ARR story quests are a real treat and the transition into Heavensward is some really excellent storytelling and Heavensward as a whole is really good. Try and stick it out without completely restarting if you can.
yeah, I bounced off the game a few times (made new characters too, which may not have been the smartest move) but once I finally got to that part I was glued to the screen.

personally I didn't really enjoy any of the ARR quests up to 50, so I was surprised by how fantastic the post-MSQ quests leading into Heavensward were (and Heavensward itself too!)

Just got through the MSQ of Stormblood and I can see why people are less excited about that one, although I still really enjoyed it. The moment when the Resistance is completely demolished and Alphinaud goes "well that sucks let's go to Japan" stands out as being particularly mind-boggling but otoh I enjoyed the zones and quests :v:

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Any good DNC glams yet?

I really like the torrent sleeves (eikonic gear from Idyllshire) but the get really washed out and it looks blurred together if dyed. I need to work out something better once I get higher levels and more options though.

A Bug fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 1, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Level 77, post 77 dungeon spoiler:

Alphi, Ryne has new hair and eyes. How about we just throw a jacket on her so she isn't easily recognizable around Eulmore?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

:discourse:

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
Are there pictures of all the gunblades already?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Your Computer posted:

Just got through the MSQ of Stormblood and I can see why people are less excited about that one, although I still really enjoyed it. The moment when the Resistance is completely demolished and Alphinaud goes "well that sucks let's go to Japan" stands out as being particularly mind-boggling but otoh I enjoyed the zones and quests :v:

Probably the most boggling part of Stormblood is The fact that you go to Doma to forment a rebellion in order to divide the nation's attention so that you can liberate Ala Mhigo. But you end up being ridiculously successful to the point that you liberate Doma BEFORE ala Mhigo, thus removing the need for divided attention. Like "Whoops, we succeeded beyond our wildest dreams!" Still works out in the end though.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Ok, this may be obvious but I'm going to ask it anyway. Spoilering it just in case. A story tick about the level 77 range after the dungeon in the convo back at the tower.

When Emet is talking about the Ascians and the shards do, the 14 shards + source represent each FF game up to present? What strikes out at me is when it's mentioned that the 13th shard was killed off so that makes what happens in FF13 directly responsible because of the Ascians involvment in trying to merge them back? And is this why we're getting cross overs from the different games. I just assumed it was a rando thing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Givin posted:

Ok, this may be obvious but I'm going to ask it anyway. Spoilering it just in case. A story tick about the level 77 range after the dungeon in the convo back at the tower.

When Emet is talking about the Ascians and the shards do, the 14 shards + source represent each FF game up to present? What strikes out at me is when it's mentioned that the 13th shard was killed off so that makes what happens in FF13 directly responsible because of the Ascians involvment in trying to merge them back? And is this why we're getting cross overs from the different games. I just assumed it was a rando thing.

The imperial legion numbering is something similar with the legions having some sort of reference to the corresponding FF game. I have no idea if they're going anywhere with the plot thread you're referring to, its probably just an easter egg.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Givin posted:

It's just a coincidence that they threw in. The First has the exact same races and the exact same geography as the Source, as one would expect if Emet's description of what happened is true, so the other shards would have the selfsame features. Given that the other games don't, it's doubtful. There are other stars/dimensions/whatever out there - Omega's home sphere, Midgardsormr's original star, all of the crossover realms, etc. - but they're unrelated to the Source specifically.

Leal posted:

Level 77, post 77 dungeon spoiler:

Alphi, Ryne has new hair and eyes. How about we just throw a jacket on her so she isn't easily recognizable around Eulmore?

You're forgetting that everyone living in the First only identifies the Oracle by those exact features, something that the picture book makes painstakingly clear. Her walking around without a change of clothes would likely be more effective than trying to disguise her, because anyone approaching you would suspect they're being baited into a (blatantly obvious) trap by a body double.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 1, 2019

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
Is there a cross-server linkshell?

I'm on another server with friends and cannot transfer over to Excalibur yet.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A Bug posted:

I really like the torrent sleeves (eikonic gear from Idyllshire) but the get really washed out and it looks blurred together if dyed. I need to work out something better once I get higher levels and more options though.

Those are one of my favorite hand pieces in general, I used them in my best MCH glam

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

I’m in the same boat, but I decided not to start over. So last weekend I redid my actions bars, figured out the new rotation (probably), found a practice dummy to try it out on, and then jumped into a couple duties. It went ok (only died stupidly once).

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Any good DNC glams yet?

You can't go wrong with the best glamour: The Manderville suit dyed metallic gold.

Show everyone how high class you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Any good DNC glams yet?
I'm pretty happy with the one I've been using while leveing through Stormblood :3:

the shirt is the Raptorskin Shirt, which I think is a new item since I couldn't find any info on it anywhere.