Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

Thanks, I'll probably still end up getting it but at least I know what to expect now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Andrast posted:

Other M being terrible is not team ninja's fault

Yeah, it’s not the worst thing from a gameplay perspective. It’s the story and Samus’ characterization that makes it bad.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah, it’s not the worst thing from a gameplay perspective. It’s the story and Samus’ characterization that makes it bad.

Well, aside from the fact that it completely fails as a metroid-vania. It's strictly linear, with the upgrades given via story. If it was just the forgettable story, that would be one thing. But even if you remove the cutscenes its still unplayable. I know that makes it almost the same as fusion, but fusion at least FEELS like a metroid game.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

American McGay posted:

Beating the game takes probably 3 hours, fully exploring and collecting everything takes probably 4 or 5, but it's a game that's meant to be replayed (with random seeds mixing up the item/enemy/map layout). If you're not into that thing then you might not feel like it's worth it.

This assumes you are somewhat decent. I've put maybe 2 hours into it and I didn't really miss any beats but I was paying too much attention to the beats to also avoid / attack enemies I haven't made it past the world map / first room of a dungeon.

It's just not clicking with me, I want to enjoy it. I feel like it's something I'll go back to and it will click and it'll be easy. Right now I'm just bad and the game feels completely brutal.

Zelda: No problem
Rhythm games: No problem

combine them and I'm apparently unable to function at even a basic level.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Lechtansi posted:

Well, aside from the fact that it completely fails as a metroid-vania. It's strictly linear, with the upgrades given via story. If it was just the forgettable story, that would be one thing. But even if you remove the cutscenes its still unplayable. I know that makes it almost the same as fusion, but fusion at least FEELS like a metroid game.
Other M was Ninja Gaiden Black or Sigma, slightly repainted and with the auto-aim shurikens turned into your primary weapon.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Lechtansi posted:

Yes, it’s bad as a Metroid game as well but it’s okay for for being an action game. Really strange game all around.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

also it's really hard to get life back in that game, enemies don't drop health so you either have to find a save or do the meditation move when you're low on health so it's easy to die.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

pixaal posted:

This assumes you are somewhat decent. I've put maybe 2 hours into it and I didn't really miss any beats but I was paying too much attention to the beats to also avoid / attack enemies I haven't made it past the world map / first room of a dungeon.

not gonna lie that's pretty bad considering the first rooms of the dungeons don't even have enemies in them

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Lolling thinking about how hype everyone was after the first other m trailer. The wii is finally getting marure games they thought. Just lol

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

I'm sure I'll enjoy it but it'll be a bit of a drag to go back to a Project Diva game with fewer than 240 songs

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

oh thank god, Project Diva on god's perfect console.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Fawf posted:

I'm sure I'll enjoy it but it'll be a bit of a drag to go back to a Project Diva game with fewer than 240 songs

Will it at least be 60fps?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

pixaal posted:

It's just not clicking with me, I want to enjoy it. I feel like it's something I'll go back to and it will click and it'll be easy. Right now I'm just bad and the game feels completely brutal.

Zelda: No problem
Rhythm games: No problem

combine them and I'm apparently unable to function at even a basic level.

If it's any consolation, I'm in the same situation. The game feels impossibly hard. Even managing one enemy without getting hit is a struggle, much less a screen full. I've given up on it. It's fine, not every game is for everyone, but drat. I didn't expect to fall over so hard since I generally like rhythm games.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

ColdPie posted:

If it's any consolation, I'm in the same situation. The game feels impossibly hard. Even managing one enemy without getting hit is a struggle, much less a screen full. I've given up on it. It's fine, not every game is for everyone, but drat. I didn't expect to fall over so hard since I generally like rhythm games.

Try wandering around until you find rooms with small numbers of enemies. Get a heart container with your first two clears, get the long staff with the next five clears.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Cadence at its heart is a puzzle/strategy game. You can also try turning off the beat so that you have plenty of time to plan and react. It's worth it.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Cadence is pretty challenging for like the first 20-30 minutes but as soon as you get one or two heart upgrades and a new weapon it becomes almost too easy. the flails practically trivialize the game I think but I suppose if you're unlucky it'll be a while before you find one

romanowski fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 1, 2019

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I got better at cadence the moment I stopped thinking of it as a Zelda game.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah the game is fun but the difficulty curve goes down really far really fast

code:

________
       \
        \
          \
           \ 
            \__________________

similar to BotW really

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

bushisms.txt posted:

Lolling thinking about how hype everyone was after the first other m trailer. The wii is finally getting marure games they thought. Just lol

I thought No More Heroes had already come out by then

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

DLC Inc posted:

MadWorld was already out at least.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

romanowski posted:

Cadence is pretty challenging for like the first 20-30 minutes but as soon as you get one or two heart upgrades and a new weapon it becomes almost too easy. the flails practically trivialize the game I think but I suppose if you're unlucky it'll be a while before you find one

I wish Necrodancer was like that. It's still hard as nails.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

DLC Inc posted:

I was using the gamer definition of mature. NMH is making fun of those people.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Andrast posted:

Other M being terrible is not team ninja's fault

What about Ninja Gaiden 3

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inzombiac posted:

Nioh is so good I would buy it again on God's Perfect Console.

Also Mothergunship.

I feel like Nioh would murder the battery on God's Perfect Console in like 20 minutes

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Len posted:

I feel like Nioh would murder the battery on God's Perfect Console in like 20 minutes

Yeah but so does BOTW. Some games are basically dock-only and that's fine.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah but so does BOTW. Some games are basically dock-only and that's fine.

Is Odyssey because I have a three hour flight later

Spellman
May 31, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

It'll last

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Spellman posted:

It'll last

:toot:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

RBA Starblade posted:

I usually get 4 hours out of that one so I hope you don't have a delay!

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Planes are essentially the ideal environment for tabletop mode. It's a tight space and you're forced to be there close to the screen, you can play with a friend, great for Snipperclips n stuff. That's how you should play Odyssey on a plane

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Lots of newer planes have plugs now. They're hidden down below. It's rare that I'll have a flight and I'm relying entirely on battery.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Spellman posted:

Planes are essentially the ideal environment for tabletop mode. It's a tight space and you're forced to be there close to the screen, you can play with a friend, great for Snipperclips n stuff. That's how you should play Odyssey on a plane

My girlfriend and I took a flight to NYC and Mario Party was perfect for the plane.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I wish Necrodancer was like that. It's still hard as nails.

It should be challenging. Necrodancer is a lot better than Cadence and the Zelda theme is really the only thing carrying it. I really wanted to like it but it feels like a beta release with how easy it is to never die and random annoying design choices like big maps you have to slog though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Cadence of Hyrule only looked interesting to me because of the graphics. While Links Awakening looks interesting, I wish they would have just done 2D style graphics. LttP and Minish Cap still look amazing.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Cojawfee posted:

Cadence of Hyrule only looked interesting to me because of the graphics. While Links Awakening looks interesting, I wish they would have just done 2D style graphics. LttP and Minish Cap still look amazing.

For the price you’d think they’d give you a copy of the game boy or snes version.

I like the way it looks though. Every time I see videos it takes my brain a second to process that it’s actually a video game.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Hobo Clown posted:

Lots of newer planes have plugs now. They're hidden down below. It's rare that I'll have a flight and I'm relying entirely on battery.

yah I have put the ac adaptor that comes with the dock in my carry on backpack just in case its one of the planes with AC outlets between the seats

otherwise if its just the type with a usb outlet, the usb to type c cable that comes with the pro controller can still slow the drain

otherwise those rechargeable batteries w/ usb c power delivery or bust I guess :shrug:

but for a three hour flight, in between not playing it during takeoff and landing and etc, you're deffo good. enjoy the marios :stoked:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
26800 mAH power banks have served me well and as far as I know are still legal on planes since they clock in under the max 100 Wh that FAA imposes.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Beastie posted:

For the price you’d think they’d give you a copy of the game boy or snes version.

I like the way it looks though. Every time I see videos it takes my brain a second to process that it’s actually a video game.

Would be really neat if the Game Boy Color version was unlockable but it doesn’t seem like something Nintendo would do these days.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

8-bit Miniboss posted:

26800 mAH power banks have served me well and as far as I know are still legal on planes since they clock in under the max 100 Wh that FAA imposes.

I feel like such a rube. I recently spent ~30 hours on planes and packed EVERYTHING I could think of to entertain myself. Last time I flew internationally I had a GameBoy SP and no meal service.

Y'all?! Delta not only had a shitton of free and recent movies but they never stopped bringing me food an booze.

gently caress me, I didn't use the Switch at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Are there any good fire emblem-ish games on the Switch? I’m enjoying Odyssey and Smash but I’d love to play the wii or DS games if possible. (Or anything to scratch the fire emblem/FFT itch.)

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 2, 2019