Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Oh, hey, query: If you have an Interface proc, does that work through pets, and if no, man, poor masterminds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

spectralent posted:

I mean, the Villainside content was better at villain launch than most of the hero stuff was. Just, heroes kept getting new, better content, and villains... Did villains ever get anything that wasn't both sides or the "well, we can't leave villains out COMPLETELY" mirror?

They did get a couple of unique arcs here and there (like the Luddite arc in Cap) but that was basically about it.

Another big problem was the metaplot kept hinging on defeating Bad Guys to Save the World. They desperately tried to disguise the fact that they were ultimately designing everything for heroes, period, by throwing in the occasional naughty thing you could do (stab Tielekku with the God Killer Sword :monocle:) but most of the time they just fell back on the "uhh....well you see...you're saving the world...cuz...you don't want to see those bad guys ruin it/run it before you can" excuse.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Dareon posted:

HVN also has the seismic path, but I may change that to something more visible.

Give him the Rainbow Path Aura.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I mean it makes sense sometimes, the villains fighting the bad guys. Arachnos doesn't want Rikti taking over the world any more than anyone else. The problem though is definitely splitting the player base like that, if you aren't going to support both. It kind of (your mileage may vary) works in say, World of Warcraft because neither faction is explicitly the "good guys" and the "bad guys". You just kind of have the shiny humans and elves type faction and the grungier orcs and monsters faction but they all basically want the same sorts of things and even if they don't like each other, still have a united interest in taking down the big demon/dragon/undead lord of the expansion. It doesn't quite work for superhero games, unless you go out of the way to support them both from the outset.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Lex Luthor was a huge shitheads villain but was famously protective of Earth from outside aggressors.

Until he merged with Brainiac and then oh well.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
When City of Villains came out it was loving amazing. I remember blowing off RA training in college to get in a few more hours of grinding out missions. The bank robbing missions promised that the villain content would be more proactive than the hero content, which made a ton of sense. Villains don't respond to poo poo; they make the poo poo happen.

But all that promise never really manifested itself. You ended up with a bland carbon copy of the hero content. Just go to contact, go to mission. You're never stealing poo poo, or threatening the world with zombies or whatever. There's hints of that kind of stuff. I kind of enjoyed the Dr. Graves poo poo and the other missions where you're briefly fighting superheroes in Paragon, but in between those moments there's a whole lot of samey stuff. It really poses the question: "What kind of villain are you?" You're just some kind of schmuck working for lovely people in some slightly shittier zones.

Edit: Honestly City of Villains would have made more sense as the Architect system. Make missions, fill them with minions and then be the end boss or something.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 1, 2019

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

spectralent posted:

Oh, hey, query: If you have an Interface proc, does that work through pets, and if no, man, poor masterminds.

It does, yeah. I believe the Control and Assault Hybrids work through pets as well.

Masterminds initially did get shafted with the incarnate system because of how the level shifts worked, though: in trials, the MM player received the full benefit of the shifts but their pets got rapidly outclassed because their minion/lieutenant pets were still summoned -1 and -2 to them, so they wound up eating poo poo real quick. They eventually baked shifts into their Supremacy inherent so that all their pets start at 50 before level shifts start taking effect.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Spanish Matlock posted:

Edit: Honestly City of Villains would have made more sense as the Architect system. Make missions, fill them with minions and then be the end boss or something.

That's how CO worked and it was awful. I wanna play as my bad dudes, not just watch them do a pre-recorded script and set of emotes in nemesis missions.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Spanish Matlock posted:

You're just some kind of schmuck working for lovely people in some slightly shittier zones.

Much shittier; villain zones all look so samey and miserable.

And "what kind of villain are you" is a good question and relates to a thing I was considering when I was thinking about RP the other day: villains don't really have a common, unifying trend. Heroes all, broadly, want to save the day and stop the bad guys. Batman growls at the baddies and Spider-man will wisecrack, but at the end of the day, whoever's robbing the bank gets punched, and both of them are going to be concerned about a bank robbery.

For villains, though? A lot of them are going to be totally uninterested in robbing a bank, because it's too small potatoes, or because they have other interests. If they are interested, some of them aren't going to want to work with other people, and others are their own masterminds. Some of them aren't going to want to rob a bank because they're the good guys, the world just needs to understand why being uploaded into a robot clone is better for them. The "space" a villain's motives occupies is a lot broader than a hero's.

And, so, yeah, you end up with the really messy thing that's not consistent about who the character is "meant to be" to a much greater extent. Some of the missions are about some two-bit superpowered punk doing smash and grabs, and some are about evil genius schemes to take over the world, all to fail from hubris at the last minute.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

just be a vigilante so you get to rob ghost widow and fight a cthulhu, its like the coolest tf/sf but then you can go back to populated zones

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
CoV makes a lot more sense when you realize the villains are Lord Recluse, Captain Mako, Ghost Widow, Lightning Edgelord, and Hug Scorpion.

You are a henchman. An extremely powerful one to be sure, but most of the redside content was written under Jack "Statesman" Emmert's watchful gaze and he had... issues? allowing the players bet the star of the show (he was basically an "oldschool" GMPC-type dungeon master). The VEATs even double down on this by making you start as a trash mob.

Most of the non-paper non-tips Villain arcs are about propping up some NPC and the only real question you get to ask is "how disloyal can I be this time?"

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

The weirdest part of CoV to me, at least thinking about it now, is the idea that the villains just... have their own island chain? And the majority of their poo poo takes place there instead?

Like, "oh yeah, the Joker. He doesn't live in Gotham, doesn't do 99% of his crimes in Gotham, kinda doesn't even care about Gotham. But every now and again he shows up to rob a Gotham bank and punch Batman and then goes back to the Bahamas."

It makes absolutely no sense outside of it being easier for a videogame. And even then, that's dubious. How much more mileage could they have gotten out of letting villains share the Paragon zones and using the expansion to just add more? There's some neat poo poo in the Isles' lore and everything, but in retrospect it's a real bizarre choice. Was it all just for PvP? 'cuz man, that's hosed.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Abroham Lincoln posted:

The weirdest part of CoV to me, at least thinking about it now, is the idea that the villains just... have their own island chain? And the majority of their poo poo takes place there instead?

Like, "oh yeah, the Joker. He doesn't live in Gotham, doesn't do 99% of his crimes in Gotham, kinda doesn't even care about Gotham. But every now and again he shows up to rob a Gotham bank and punch Batman and then goes back to the Bahamas."

It makes absolutely no sense outside of it being easier for a videogame. And even then, that's dubious. How much more mileage could they have gotten out of letting villains share the Paragon zones and using the expansion to just add more? There's some neat poo poo in the Isles' lore and everything, but in retrospect it's a real bizarre choice. Was it all just for PvP? 'cuz man, that's hosed.

Period MMOs were defined by World of Warcraft. Horde and Alliance got their own zones, and when they were allowed to share that zone inevitably devolved into endless pvp, cough hillsbrad foothills cough. The modern solution would just be not let PCs get into stupid pointless brawls on the street, but then you'd have cops getting ganked by villians and so-called super heroes getting to just watch it happen, which isn't exactly the super hero fantasy anyone's signing up for.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
They could have used that newish thing they sometimes do where everyone sees the zones in whatever way best matches their progress.

So heroes and villains are both running around Paragon City, but they all see something different. Heroes and villains already don’t interact in their respective zones, so no loss there. But heroes could see themselves cleaning up the streets and new construction going up for new hospitals or whatever. Villains could see themselves robbing and looting, and seeing new bases built up to themselves with their own facilities. Heck, go all in and straight up have everyone interact but one faction sees a cop where the other faction sees an Arachnos operative. Let people flag themselves RP if they want to remove that and figure out something for it. But this would work well from a gameplay perspective.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

HPanda posted:

They could have used that newish thing they sometimes do where everyone sees the zones in whatever way best matches their progress.

So heroes and villains are both running around Paragon City, but they all see something different. Heroes and villains already don’t interact in their respective zones, so no loss there. But heroes could see themselves cleaning up the streets and new construction going up for new hospitals or whatever. Villains could see themselves robbing and looting, and seeing new bases built up to themselves with their own facilities. Heck, go all in and straight up have everyone interact but one faction sees a cop where the other faction sees an Arachnos operative. Let people flag themselves RP if they want to remove that and figure out something for it. But this would work well from a gameplay perspective.

Can you even imagine the level of backlash if CoV came out and the core zones were the same zones but you can't see heroes?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

I ride bikes all day posted:

Can you even imagine the level of backlash if CoV came out and the core zones were the same zones but you can't see heroes?

Yes. And it would be hilarious and for their own good.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

I ride bikes all day posted:

The real problem: The fans all wanted something stupid.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Abroham Lincoln posted:

The weirdest part of CoV to me, at least thinking about it now, is the idea that the villains just... have their own island chain?

It is kind of hilarious to me how there's just The Country Where Everyone's Evil and this is just a thing people live with. I know it's a comic book, but, there's some WILD assumptions about what being recognised by the UN means in the AMAs.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Spanish Matlock posted:

When City of Villains came out it was loving amazing. I remember blowing off RA training in college to get in a few more hours of grinding out missions. The bank robbing missions promised that the villain content would be more proactive than the hero content, which made a ton of sense. Villains don't respond to poo poo; they make the poo poo happen.

But all that promise never really manifested itself. You ended up with a bland carbon copy of the hero content. Just go to contact, go to mission. You're never stealing poo poo, or threatening the world with zombies or whatever. There's hints of that kind of stuff. I kind of enjoyed the Dr. Graves poo poo and the other missions where you're briefly fighting superheroes in Paragon, but in between those moments there's a whole lot of samey stuff. It really poses the question: "What kind of villain are you?" You're just some kind of schmuck working for lovely people in some slightly shittier zones.

When CoV was first announced, the marketing material made it sound like the game would be all about building your secret lair and growing your organisation, while pursuing your evil plots. A lot of people were disappointed when it turned out that the lairs/bases were just guild halls, with no real effect on the game play.

I mean, look at this:

This makes it sound like villains were originally supposed to be way more proactive than they ended up being in the final product.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

They wanted to make Warhammer Online SO BAD

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

spectralent posted:

It is kind of hilarious to me how there's just The Country Where Everyone's Evil and this is just a thing people live with. I know it's a comic book, but, there's some WILD assumptions about what being recognised by the UN means in the AMAs.

Can you elaborate on this? I'm not sure I'm seeing why is the Rogue Isles being in the UN is much crazier than other Human-Rights-Violation-havers like the PRC or North Korea.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

SimonChris posted:

When CoV was first announced, the marketing material made it sound like the game would be all about building your secret lair and growing your organisation, while pursuing your evil plots. A lot of people were disappointed when it turned out that the lairs/bases were just guild halls, with no real effect on the game play.

I mean, look at this:

This makes it sound like villains were originally supposed to be way more proactive than they ended up being in the final product.

I believe the initial pitch was that you'd join an existing villain organization based on your origin and work up that ladder, so in true Jack Emmert fashion, you were never the star and always the flunkie. :v: The idea basically was replaced by the one universal Arachnos path when they realized it'd be too much work.

I'm guessing similar things happened to the idea of wandering into Paragon City, and everyone already knows how base raids wound up.

And now I will always treasure forever:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

SimonChris posted:

I realize we're spoiled in this age of fully free-build luxury gay space supergroup bases, but getting prestige and salvage to tech up your supergroup base and get buffs and a teleport network was...

Well, okay, it was a slog and nearly impossible to do alone. Tying content to them was a failed experiment, and the new bases are much better.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The whole notion of SGs is super good and I wish you could make them multi-leveled.

Back in live I spent AGES editing my base since my group was just big enough to earn prestige at a good clip. We had all but the biggest stuff, probably because I kept spending our money of decorative items.

I made a rave! It was fun! You don't need a teleporter to Port Oaks, you weirdos!

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
You know, this reminds me of something they talked up back in the day that would make a ton of sense for setting COV and COH in the same zones. Secret Identities. There was always some talk about implementing a system dealing with that, and it was going to work into the day jobs system, which instead just became what it is now I guess, sitting outside the monorail or whatever to get a speed buff.

You could do an absolute ton with secret identities to make the merger make sense. Make the PVP flag put you in costume. If you're walking the streets in costume, you're fair game for PVP. If you're walking the streets in a suit and tie you're just another civilian.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Crasical posted:

Can you elaborate on this? I'm not sure I'm seeing why is the Rogue Isles being in the UN is much crazier than other Human-Rights-Violation-havers like the PRC or North Korea.

Oh, no, more, there's a bit where the devs talk about how Oranbega would emerge underneath Perez, and be given UN protections as a sovereign nation.

The Rogue Isles is merely somehow in a state of open war without any explicit superpower backing that's somehow not getting bombed.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It was weird how the Rogue Isles were simultaneously this oppressive totalitarian state but also a Randian hellhole. Like Recluse is encouraging his citizens to become villains, but that would mean killing his cops and robbing his banks.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It was weird how the Rogue Isles were simultaneously this oppressive totalitarian state but also a Randian hellhole. Like Recluse is encouraging his citizens to become villains, but that would mean killing his cops and robbing his banks.

His whole thing was finding the best lieutenants, so maybe someone rises and could replace Black Scorpion. You want to encourage that kind of behaviour.

Plus, all his money was in a pocket dimension or something.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

spectralent posted:

The Rogue Isles is merely somehow in a state of open war without any explicit superpower backing that's somehow not getting bombed.

I've got to assume that Grandville and it's giant fuckoff helicarriers has something to do with that. Like you shoot a nuke at the rogue aisles and some fuckhole flies up and portals it to the pentagon or whatever.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Rogue Isle zones have some great music transitions.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

recluse seems to be more or less detached from the civilian "government" which still serves as a vestigial remnant of the pre-recluse rogue isles. the cops and banks are his in the sense that he lets them exist, but they're ultimately just toys for villains, not anything that serves a real purpose from his perspective.

the real question is, who are these people who sign up to be RIPD

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Jazerus posted:

People who've had every illusion of control ripped away by living between the gunfights between spangly PMCs burning people to death with flamethrowers, black-and-red-and-edgy spider facists, and supervillains breaking into their home and eating their toasters.

Just gimme a gun, man. I need a gun so I can take my life back.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Jazerus posted:

recluse seems to be more or less detached from the civilian "government" which still serves as a vestigial remnant of the pre-recluse rogue isles. the cops and banks are his in the sense that he lets them exist, but they're ultimately just toys for villains, not anything that serves a real purpose from his perspective.

Yeah; the isles all have mostly independent governors and work more like a feudal monarchy. Governors can do whatever they like as long as they're paying their tithes to Arachnos.

So, think of it less like "the king is okay with you trashing his provinces" and more like "the king is okay with one of his promising knights loving with a vassal he doesn't care about".

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Jazerus posted:

The RIPD is corrupt as hell so... any normal cop.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I mean, there seems to be no short supply of thugs willing to staff baby jails in the desert. Some people will eat a mountain of poo poo if it means they get to pick on someone weaker in turn

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

my favorite headcanon in games like Batman Arkham Asylum, Yakuza and City of Heroes is that there's just a separate species that look like muscular grown men called Thug and that's how they can populate all these games with enormous amounts of random baddies since that's what they do for a living

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Merilan posted:

my favorite headcanon in games like Batman Arkham Asylum, Yakuza and City of Heroes is that there's just a separate species that look like muscular grown men called Thug and that's how they can populate all these games with enormous amounts of random baddies since that's what they do for a living

So like a cross between Oglaf's Kronar barbarians and the henchman race from Dragon's Dogma.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

you guys love to talk poo poo about redside but there's goon teams over there regularly. newspapers are fun, bank robberies are better than safeguards, and the contacts are uniformly more interesting than blueside. say what you will about Peter Themari, at least he's got an ethos

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

HPanda posted:

So like a cross between Oglaf's Kronar barbarians and the henchman race from Dragon's Dogma.

omg they can just straight up be Pawns. "Heroes travel in packs, Arisen!" "They love Kinetics!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Merilan posted:

omg they can just straight up be Pawns. "Heroes travel in packs, Arisen!" "They love Kinetics!"

:golfclap: