Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008

Powershift posted:

But you ARE all married to the fat chick you knocked up in high school, right?

No, after the drugstore breakfast your mom tends to ghost us.

PathAsc posted:

Party enema then?

Do you know what dick dingers are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

OSHA: Do you know what dick dingers are?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Fishing was always good news for me mud logging. I would just get paid for an 84 hour week of playing gameboy and reading.

The best one was when they lost the last 10 feet of drill string at the bottom of a 3000’ hole. After a week of fishing attempts, they said gently caress it and spent two or three more weeks drilling through the drill string and PDC bit.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Fishing was always good news for me mud logging. I would just get paid for an 84 hour week of playing gameboy and reading.

The best one was when they lost the last 10 feet of drill string at the bottom of a 3000’ hole. After a week of fishing attempts, they said gently caress it and spent two or three more weeks drilling through the drill string and PDC bit.

That's insane. Why didn't they just plug back with cement and go around? This was years ago and directional drilling was incredibly expensive voodoo magic?

What kinda neat about a dropped string is that if it falls quite a long way, there's a good chance that it's going to be perfectly fine. If it's dropped a short ways, such as the length of a joint (9-14m) or the kelly it's almost guaranteed to be a corkscrew.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Old Balls McGee posted:

What kinda neat about a dropped string is that if it falls quite a long way, there's a good chance that it's going to be perfectly fine. If it's dropped a short ways, such as the length of a joint (9-14m) or the kelly it's almost guaranteed to be a corkscrew.

How does this work?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I’m guessing that it only fell a short distance because it wedged itself to gently caress.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Old Balls McGee posted:

That's insane. Why didn't they just plug back with cement and go around? This was years ago and directional drilling was incredibly expensive voodoo magic?

Yeah I have no idea why they made those decisions but it was about 2013-2014 and it was a horizontal project that had landed the curve before I got there.

IIRC they had some specialty bits to basically friction melt pieces of the metal off at high RPM. Lots of tripping for new bits and circulating.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Old Balls McGee posted:

They're the reason I wear a bump cap, duh

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Old Balls McGee posted:

Sounds like bar food at a BDSM club.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008

wesleywillis posted:

How does this work?

Not 100% sure, no one has ever given me a solid answer. The running idea is that the pipe falling a long ways has time to make some sort of fluid cushion. The only time I have dealt with a dropped string, it was a bit, bit sub, 12 6.25" drill collars, 6 4.5" Hevi-Wate dp and 18 4.5" dp. They fell about 1000m and were fine once we got them out, which seems to be a lot of peoples experience.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Yeah I have no idea why they made those decisions but it was about 2013-2014 and it was a horizontal project that had landed the curve before I got there.

IIRC they had some specialty bits to basically friction melt pieces of the metal off at high RPM. Lots of tripping for new bits and circulating.

Mills are what were usually used to do this.

They take forever and don't last. You usually just mill off a tool joint so you can get an overshot on easier. Now there are external cutters that do this is about half an hour. But if it was the last 10' of the string, that's most likely a mud motor. It still would have been quicker to hit it with the big gray eraser and go around.

PathAsc posted:

They're the reason I wear a bump cap, duh

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Powershift posted:

It's insanely hard work, too. The larger rigs run 3 joints at ~30 feet together for 90 foot drilling kilometers down vertically and kilometers horizontally and every time they need to change a tool or bit it all has to come out 90 feet at a time and then get run back in 90 feet at a time. In and out and in and out and in and out. They usually work 12 hours a day for 21 days on/7 days off, too.

Then they get home and all their cash goes up their nose.

https://i.imgur.com/QiSbquN.mp4

I understand vaguely what happened here has to be bad, but are there specifics for this one?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Now they have to tie a bunch of clothes hangers together and fish the piece out

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

5er posted:

I understand vaguely what happened here has to be bad, but are there specifics for this one?

They dropped a tool into the slips, and didn't notice it. When they pulled the slips out it fell down the hole. all the way down the hole. You can see those stands are full of long dirty pipes. so it fell down a pretty deep hole.

Based on the size of the rig, probably a $100,000 mistake. Pennies to the company but they're still gonna kick his rear end for it.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
That was the bit. It was left in the table after being broken off. The bit breaker latch wasn't pinned. As the hands pulled the bit out the latch opened and down it went. If it went down upside down, it's staying down there. It would be un-fishable.

It is considered bad practise to leave a bit in the table like that. Usually you would break the bit from the pipe it was attached to, leave it on quite a few threads, but able to be spun by hand. Hoist out of the table, put the hole cover on and spin the bit off on the floor.

My guess from the hands reactions is that the stack was left completely open. We close the uppermost set of rams to catch something like this.

Basically almost all the Drillers fault.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I love posters like you in the OSHA thread, Old Balls.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

moist turtleneck posted:

Now they have to tie a bunch of clothes hangers together and fish the piece out

:hmmyes:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ok, this may be a real dumb question, but why not send a bigass magnet down the hole after things?

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
You'd probably need a larger magnet than could find down that hole in order to grab a several thousand pound pipe.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I wish I could chime in but I only know about pipeline risers because we do the bolting tools for them :<

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
A magnet strong enough to pull something big out is also strong enough to stick inside the last string of casing that was run.

In fact, drill collars can magnetize enough to stick to the inside of the casing and prevent you from drilling out.

We used to run junk baskets that were shaped to let metal junk to fall in, and they had magnets inside. No one runs them anymore unless they are milling a fish, and even then most people use ditch magnets in the shaker box.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I haven't understood a single word from the last two pages. A drill what now?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

other people posted:

Holes

Like, in the ground(?) and deep(??)

Someone dropped their keys down there or something(????)

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

other people posted:

You can't put a magnet down the bass hole or you'll end up fishing a jimmy!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

other people posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OQp3U4Z6PE

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

other people posted:

I haven't understood a single word from the last two pages.

Maybe it really is easier to train drillers to be astronauts!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

Maybe it really is easier to train drillers to be astronauts!

It's not rocket science.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Powershift posted:

It's not rocket science.

What if the rocket is built upside down

checkmate

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

All I know from drilling I learned from the movie Deepwater Horizon in which, spoiler alert, things related to drilling go tits up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOA8o0voTus

Not the best movie ever mode, but the sound design in an IMAX room was fantastic.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Old Balls McGee posted:

A magnet strong enough to pull something big out is also strong enough to stick inside the last string of casing that was run.

In fact, drill collars can magnetize enough to stick to the inside of the casing and prevent you from drilling out.

We used to run junk baskets that were shaped to let metal junk to fall in, and they had magnets inside. No one runs them anymore unless they are milling a fish, and even then most people use ditch magnets in the shaker box.

Oh man I remember those junk baskets, one time we had a jerry-turn that ended up dousing out the casing. Ended up using two rolls of flap-cup tape around the jerry and hydro-hoisted that bastard right out the top of the pit head

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

90% sure you’re all talking about cricket now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah it really sucks when you have to couple the trimodal marzel cracklers to the bilaminated proxel vanes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
But what if one of the cross beams goes out askew on the treadle?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Willfrey posted:

Oh man I remember those junk baskets, one time we had a jerry-turn that ended up dousing out the casing. Ended up using two rolls of flap-cup tape around the jerry and hydro-hoisted that bastard right out the top of the pit head

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah it really sucks when you have to couple the trimodal marzel cracklers to the bilaminated proxel vanes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXW0bx_Ooq4

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

haveblue posted:

Not on your life my Hindu friend!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

haveblue posted:

You could just bolster 12 husk nuts to each girdle jerry,, while flex tandems press a task apparatus of ten vertically composited patch hamplers.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx2GBzbeyHc

"I am not a carpenter. I am a fan of carpentry."

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

I was running the sump on a transit rig off of Louisiana about 5 years ago and we had a new deck gang-- not just one guy, but literally all six were green as hell right out of Louisiana Tech and taking every single step via verbal instruction from the Deck Lead in the shack. We had a tipout scheduled for a Sunday (ugh) and our line list was tight, so of course I pull first bank because why not.

Anyway, I'm four clicks into the green batch when the two deck jocks on shift freeze. I have the hoist arm pinning up the remotes and they're just... staring at the coil like loving cows. Turns out the Deck Lead went to the head without telling anyone, and left the Deck Sub in charge (he didn't know to key the mic and thought it was voice activated). The jocks had been hanging irrigation vent like goddamn siding for 15 minutes, waiting for the all-clear on a Findlay sprocket that never came. loving morons.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Powershift posted:

You could just bolster 12 husk nuts to each girdle jerry,, while flex tandems press a task apparatus of ten vertically composited patch hamplers.
this post gave me a stroke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008

I had heard that before, but something was off..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJKdh1KZ0w

Powershift posted:

Well now that's just being silly.